Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best NYC Coffee Shoppes (post Covid)

I'm finally scheduled for a long weekend in NYC this coming Spring. Coffee shops are one of my favorite things to do in cities. Which coffee NYC coffee shops have survived the pandemic?

Is Toby's Estate Coffee still around? Sometimes I'd stay in in Williamsburg at the Wythe Hotel and loved stopping there or the Blue Bottle?

In Manhattan I loved Third Rail Coffee, Joes. Bluestone Lane, Blue Bottle (Also Te Company in the village for Linzer cookies and tea).

I'm probably horribly out of date in best NYC coffee shops as I haven't been back since just before the pandemic. NYC locals, fill me in the best spots for great coffee and people watching!

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2022 10:45 PM

I won't be ignored, Dan!

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2022 4:38 PM

Do you know in what area you are going to be staying OP? That would help narrow this down.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2022 4:42 PM

Devocion coffee is fantastic and it's a great space for people watching. 787 coffee, Abraco, Black Coffee Co are all great too.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2022 4:55 PM

Try this, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2022 5:01 PM

oops sorry, didn't notice 2018

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2022 5:01 PM

Joe's on the corner of Waverly Place and Gay Street still here.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2022 5:20 PM

There’s not a lot of lingering in coffee shops these days unless they’ve got outdoor seating.

That being said, my local spots are Cafe Social 68 on Avenue A and 5th Street or Sami and Susu a new Israeli/Middle Eastern cafe that also has great food

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2022 5:24 PM

“Coffee Shoppes”

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2022 5:34 PM

Why would you hang in a coffee shop unless you were hooking up with a Grindr dude that insisted on meeting before coming to your house.?

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2022 5:34 PM

Port Authority Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2022 5:35 PM

What coffee shop have you been to that doesn't have people hanging around in it r9?

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2022 5:37 PM

Isn't everyone in a coffee shop either waiting for their hookup, or sitting there telling lies to their potential hookup?

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2022 7:25 PM

[quote] “Coffee Shoppes” Oh, DEAR!

The "oh dear!" people are bad enough as it is but I'm going to start blocking them if they're too stupid to figure out when a poster is doing something deliberately.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2022 7:31 PM

Oh dear me !

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2022 7:53 PM

Stumptown (multiple locations) or Culture Espresso on 38th street near Bryant Park.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2022 7:58 PM

Sey Coffee in Bushwick, Black Fox in Fidi, Box Kite in UWS are probably the most famous ones in the city among the serious coffee snobs.

Of course the best beans might not be your interest if you are looking for the coolest spot to hang.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2022 8:43 PM

Box Kite on West 72nd Street is closed. unfortunately. But there is a Blue Bottle and a Joe Coffee around the corner on Amsterdam &73rd. Both are across the street from Verdi Park, where there is a small seating area. Blue Bottle also has outdoor seating.

On Columbus & 73rd, Black Press Coffee is popular, and also has sidewalk seating.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2022 8:53 PM

Dunkin' Donuts on 7th!

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2022 8:55 PM

See yelp.com

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2022 8:57 PM

OP here. I hope to stay at the Ludlow Hotel on the LES, but I'll be in other areas of the city exploring around too.

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2022 10:56 PM

I recommend Ye Olde-Tyme Coffee Shoppe.

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2022 11:22 PM

In the East Village there is Hi Collar which is a very unique Japanese style Cafe r20, also Abraco which is probably the best normal coffee shop in that area.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2022 11:55 PM

[quote]The "oh dear!" people are bad enough as it is but[bold] I'm going to start blocking them[/bold] if they're too stupid to figure out when a poster is doing something deliberately.

You gurl aka R8 - is in danger!!

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2022 12:08 PM

Shoppes bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2022 12:20 PM

Stumptown is horrible watery stuff.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2022 12:22 PM

Neil's is a real olde style place, with the food to match. I preferred the Eastern European places in the East Village for a cheap fill-up back in the 80s - I liked breakfast in the coffee shoppes, but that is all - but I'm very sad to hear of their demise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2022 12:27 PM

“ is in danger”

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2022 9:21 PM

[quote]Port Authority Starbucks

The vaccine to protect you in that one has not been discovered yet.

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2022 9:24 PM

OP/R20, The Ludlow Coffee Supply

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2022 9:28 PM

OP you'll stumble upon a ton of coffee places on the LES and downtown. I love Oslo on the UES, but that's out of your way.

If you care at all about matcha - Matchaful on Mulberry street (and Canal Street) is fun - they make really creative (albeit wildly overpriced) drinks and little snacks.

I work downtown and whenever I wander around there is always a new coffee place popping up. On the LES people seem to love Roasting Plant Coffee and Ludlow Coffee Supply.

Enjoy! I love coffee too!

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2022 9:29 PM

I’ve enjoyed everything I ever picked up from the coffee shops near NYU.

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2022 9:40 PM

I agree about Neil's as previous poster mentioned. Cafe Grumpy is also one that people seem to like in that area.

If you are ever uptown near the park, though, I’d recommend bluestone lane

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2022 10:40 PM

OP, the NYC Toby's Estate changed its name to Partners Coffee a few years ago, with most of the same locations and arguably even better coffee than before.

I'm addicted to their Chiroso.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2022 10:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!