Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brad Pitt in 1991, Montana.

Photographer George Holz was told of “an assignment from People magazine with a relatively young, unknown actor who had just had a small part in 'Thelma and Louise’ and whose name was starting to get buzz. His name was Brad Pitt, and why would he be interested? Brad was playing the lead in a movie adaptation of one of my favorite books, Norman Maclean’s 'A River Runs Through It.' It was the bible of fly fishing, and Robert Redford was the director.”

About the meeting, George said Brad “was there with his parents and hound dog, Deacon—no entourage at all. Nobody recognized him yet. He came out into the river, chewing tobacco, just in his khakis and an inside-out t-shirt. I liked the way it looked, so I didn’t have the heart to tell him it was inside out. The water wasn’t that warm, but it didn’t seem to phase him.”

Not long after the photo shoot Brad Pitt’s performance in the smash hit ‘Thelma and Louise’ would make him a household name worldwide and one of the most recognizable faces on the planet.

I personally love these photos of young, pre-famous Pitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 21, 2023 3:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2022 9:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2022 9:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2022 9:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2022 9:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2022 9:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2022 9:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2022 9:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2022 9:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2022 9:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2022 9:47 PM

Him with his dog that he brought with him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2022 9:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2022 9:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2022 9:49 PM

The outfit he shows up in that the photographer liked despite his shirt being inside-out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2022 9:50 PM

Pitt and the photographer, George Holz, together at the end of the shoot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2022 9:51 PM

yellow skim?

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2022 9:53 PM

Great photos, OP. Real early 90s Levis commercial vibes in the first few, and you can see the star quality in him here, on the verge of his becoming THE A-list actor of the next 2-3 decades.

That shot of him squatting on the tracks is almost eerie in how much he looks like Shiloh, especially in the eyes.

I wonder if he saw it all panning out for himself the way it has? He strikes me as someone who sought, achieved and still enjoys fame (not once has BP come across as self-pitying or whiny about the downsides of mega-fame, and he always seems to be having great fun on red carpets etc.), but the marriage to Angelina and the fallout from that, I bet his future plans didn't include marrying a genuine psycho (or himself being a less than adequate father and in many ways character). Marrying her was the mistake of his life, but he's achieved more of what he wanted than most of us will. That's my possibly wrong take on it, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2022 9:55 PM

Organically spectacularly good-looking, too, which is as rare today as it was then but less obvious due to plastic surgery at very young ages for so many younger stars.

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2022 9:56 PM

R18 it’s rare when someone is so good looking naturally. And he seemed so unaffected by it back then.

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2022 10:06 PM

The OP has posted this entire thread. And all the replies. Jesus Fuck, I thought I could sometimes go a little off the rails. This here behaviour is some serious OCD clinical shit.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2022 10:26 PM

I am R17 and R18. I am not the OP. I'm not even a Brad Pitt fan. I just thought the photos were interesting and I haven't seen them before.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2022 10:48 PM

Looks like Chris Hemsworth

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2022 10:51 PM

Great photos.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2022 10:58 PM

not all replies. ff that zw or whatthehellever it is!

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2022 10:58 PM

I think Pitt had some notion of what he had physically, although he wasn't really egotistical about it. He left college his last semester 6 hours short of a degree to go to Hollywood. But it was his personality as well as his looks that probably got him ahead. There have been beautiful people who washed out, because they were so difficult to work with.

He is gorgeous and was stunning in A River Runs Through It. Just watching him move in the film added to his attractiveness. I particularly like the fact that it was natural. I think back to stars decades ago from the 30s through at least the 70s. They had unique appearances that made them attractive rather a standard "look", artificially achieved, that was popular at the time. And they had charisma. Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, Warren Beatty, Steve McQueen, Sidney Poitier etc. You enjoyed watching them on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2022 12:07 AM

Great photos, OP. Thanks for posting them.

by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2022 12:17 AM

Yeah, OP. Good job!

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2022 12:31 AM

[quote] The water wasn’t that warm, but it didn’t seem to phase him

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2022 12:38 AM

We needed him to do part of this shoot in a Speedo, and a racer-back tanktop. He has been attractive on and off over time, and this is probably the only time he rivaled his own physical appearance in "Fight Club".

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2022 12:42 AM

[quote] yellow skim?

?

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2022 3:18 PM

R18, the original Brad was hugely pockmarked, even some years into his career. That was all treatmented away and airbrushed out of photos.

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2022 3:26 PM

Great pics and a very good movie, too.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2022 3:30 PM

He was truly magnificent back then. Not just physical appearance but he was a lot better in his roles then too.

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2022 3:42 PM

Timothée is natural. Who would do that on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2022 4:01 PM

Fun facts about his first credited/leading role:

[quote] "Director Božidar Nikolić picked Brad Pitt out of 400 candidates for the main role. Brad Pitt was very happy for the pick and was only paid $1,523 for seven weeks of filming in 1988."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2022 4:20 PM

He was the star of an indie called JOHNNY SUEDE and I remember watching it over and over on cable just to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2022 6:37 PM

R36 yes. The film is terrible though.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2022 6:38 PM

He's cute but Leo's handsome.

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2022 6:41 PM

He also has a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it appearance in “Less Than Zero” as a partygoer, when Clay goes to the big Christmas bash.

by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2022 7:07 PM

r38 Please, DiCaprio is repulsive.

r17 I too get the felling that he ultimately didn't want to be a father as much as he always thought he did. I'm sure he loves his kids of course, but I suspect he's been a lot happier these last few years being a part-time parent at best and a lot of this whole custody war is also about protecting his image.

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2022 7:51 PM

feeling*

by Anonymousreply 41January 10, 2022 7:51 PM

I disagree, R40. I think he wanted to be an equal partner when what he got was a role in Angelina Jolie's life. Handling all those properties, moving constantly. They led a crazy life with the constant nannies and other employees. I think a lot of his drunkenness was an attempt to cope with the craziness. He rarely leaves LA now. Look at men like Steven Spielberg and Warren Beatty marrying later and having multiple children. Then look at the way he was raised. I think a version of this kind of life, where he could spend his time on things he wanted to do and had time to socialize rather than just travel and manage assets, would have been a lot more conducive to children.

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2022 2:18 AM

He's not even my type, but I'd be happy to love him, stank and pockmarks and all.

by Anonymousreply 43January 13, 2022 2:24 AM

r40 He should have stayed with Jen and remained childfree.

by Anonymousreply 44January 13, 2022 2:42 AM

I kinda feel bad for him, his kids hate his guts and wanted to testify against him, the private judge who gave him 50/50 was dismissed and he lost his appeal. I read on a tabloid that he is in a dark place mentality and physically and is in therapy, he also became a recluse and spends it coop in his home doing art, he’s finally loosing his hair and has stank of BO because he doesn't take a bath regularly anymore.

by Anonymousreply 45January 13, 2022 2:46 AM

Jen is living her best childfree life. He must have pangs of regret.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote]stank of BO because he doesn't take a bath regularly anymore

Wasn't this known about him for a long time?

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2022 2:49 AM

1991 was a magical year.

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2022 2:50 AM

R47, yes but more than usual that his hanger on friends have complained about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2022 2:56 AM

R25, He really did have an “it” factor about him especially in a River Runs through it” i don't know if it’s because Robert Redford produce and directed it and he can see his younger self through Brad that he focus on him more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2022 3:16 AM

Brad Pitt became a massive star because he has “it”, yes. In the past people had to have that.

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2022 2:47 PM

Dear God what a beautiful young man he was. Now he's a beautiful middle aged man.

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2022 2:56 PM

He’s almost 60. He’s old.

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2022 3:02 PM

[quote]his kids hate his guts and wanted to testify against him

Angelina said that but there's no indication it's true. There wasn't ever a time during the divorce hearing where anyone would have "testified against" anyone else, and no indication in any court papers that a judge "refused" to let the kids "testify against Brad" like Jolie claimed. What happened was that Jolie submitted paperwork with testimonials from some of the kids and the judge apparently did not include that paperwork in his final decision, which made her mad.

As of a couple months ago, the status of the custody case was that it was going to start over, not that Brad lost it, though he may eventually have to abide by the 2018 agreement which will be made permanent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2022 3:07 PM

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.”

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2022 3:09 PM

Am I the only one who wondered if that photographer got to suck him off? Surely he wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2022 3:24 PM

R56 no. Grow up. He brought his mom and dad to stay with him during it.

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2022 3:25 PM

It is a shame what the "Blood drinking Whore of Babylon" did to Brad!!

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2022 3:29 PM

He was truly gorgeous back then, and I remember being totally turned on by him in Thelma & Louise as a teenager but, over the decades, I've had sufficient of his face.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2022 3:31 PM

Wait, what was the difference between Legends of the Fall and A River Runs Through It? I think they’ve merged in my mind?

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2022 3:40 PM

He was stunningly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2022 4:02 PM

R58, nobody did anything to him. He is not a 6 year old child, but a grown ass man who is perfectly capable of making his own decisions.

Angelina gets shit for breaking up his marriage from stupid cunts, while she wasn’t married, he was. Stop burning women at the stake in 2022, you moron.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2022 4:04 PM

R62 they were both at fault

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2022 5:24 PM

Young and beautiful

by Anonymousreply 64February 13, 2022 9:05 PM

If ever DNA came together in just the right order it's Brad Pitt

by Anonymousreply 65February 13, 2022 9:47 PM

And the rest of his family isn't even that attractive.

by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2022 1:37 AM

Amazing photographs. Just watched the film for the umpteenth time and it tear up every time. Brad’s character’s demise was so sad and the family’s aftermath.

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2022 8:56 PM

So not my type (I like burly daddies) but he's just a beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2022 9:10 PM

He hasn't changed all that much, decades later. Pretty much the same face.

by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2022 9:27 PM

Is the original short story available for free anywhere? I will look, and perhaps go to the library tomorrow. I don't want to buy it. I am sorry I am cheap MacLean estate. But blame my Scottish Presbyterian blood.

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2022 12:22 AM

r70 Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2022 1:26 AM

I am watching it right now. I love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 72August 20, 2022 10:03 PM

A River Runs Through It is such a lovely film.

by Anonymousreply 73March 20, 2023 11:13 PM

Damn. He was so beautiful back then.

Time is a CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 74March 20, 2023 11:32 PM

Mama's boy

by Anonymousreply 75March 21, 2023 12:09 AM

Those beautiful lips are just made for smooching.

by Anonymousreply 76March 21, 2023 12:13 AM

At this point, he had been in Hollywood about 7-8 years. I don't think Angelina is a psycho, R17, but she is a strong woman who knows what she wants. I think he followed her dream once he met her and, in doing so, was able to live larger than he would have on his own. The French chateau with the vineyards is one example. But it was ultimately more than he could handle and he began to drink heavily. I think he wanted children but it was harder to raise them living as large as they were. Angie could handle this better than he could, because it was her path, not necessarily his. The kids have apparently been well brought up, despite all the issues and busy parents and nannies. One or two have gone off to college and the others will likely be able to choose their own paths as well.

He was absolutely gorgeous and like someone above, I could not believe how well he moved in A River Runs Through it. He consistently moves well enough to be a dancer had he chosen that, but he's so gorgeous he belonged on the screen. It was always interesting to me that he was so attractive, but I was never physically attracted to him. I agree with R25, that he was like the classic film stars in his appearance and charisma on screen.

by Anonymousreply 77March 21, 2023 1:29 AM

A dancer has to move their legs well. He doesn’t move like a dancer. His upper body movements are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 78March 21, 2023 1:36 AM

Life is unfair, I look like a monster.

by Anonymousreply 79March 21, 2023 1:38 AM

Being in Hollywood has nothing to do with stardom. He may have been in Hollywood a few years at this point but he wasn’t a star yet.

by Anonymousreply 80March 21, 2023 1:40 AM

What happened to the dog?

by Anonymousreply 81March 21, 2023 1:47 AM

Craig Sheffer enjoyed intimate time with Brad during the film's shoot. At least that's what he shared with half of West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 82March 21, 2023 3:04 AM

That's when the trout took his arm. Fucking tragic.

by Anonymousreply 83March 21, 2023 3:12 AM

Billy's bughole was tighter the a nun's twitchit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 21, 2023 3:16 AM

It's hard for me to tell if I think he's gorgeous because he's gorgeous or if I'm just thinking that because, well, it's Brad Pitt. I mean, you can't beat that bone structure and those full, pink lips, but I kinda feel like there are plenty of white dudes in the Midwest who, if you cleaned them off, put them on a skincare routine for a few weeks, and did something to their hair, they would look as good.

by Anonymousreply 85March 21, 2023 3:27 AM

Lord, I've always had a big crush on him. He was just gorgeous in Legends of the Fall. I still love him, too. The best acting he did was in Snatch though ( to me anyway). However, that motel room scene he did with Genna Davis in Thelma and Louise, reality is something I won't forget. It just wasn't a long enough scene.

by Anonymousreply 86March 21, 2023 3:45 AM

His skin was pitted (no pun intended) and he had dermabrasion (the kind where they mechanically remove the top layer of dermis leaving the person looking like a severe burn victim for several weeks) performed by a doctor in New Orleans after Thelma and Louise. I know this because my aunt was the doctor's nurse.

by Anonymousreply 87March 21, 2023 9:51 AM

R87 Did he get his bughole freshened too?

by Anonymousreply 88March 21, 2023 3:37 PM

R86 that’s the role that made him a superstar

by Anonymousreply 89March 21, 2023 3:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!