Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Janet Jackson Was Fit as Fuck!

Missy Elliott.... bit less so....

Where was this filmed? Some old hotel in LA?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 5, 2022 1:04 PM

janet was abs

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2022 7:06 PM

I'm not Janbot, or even a big Janet Jakcson fan, but I love this song and video. Completely underrated, in terms of dance/pop songs as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2022 9:18 PM

"fit as fuck" huh? You still want to be 18 so bad.

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2022 9:19 PM

It was filmed at the Biltmore Hotel in DTLA. Britney, ever the Janet copycat, would later film her Overprotected video in the same hotel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2022 9:36 PM

Oh my sides!

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2022 10:47 PM

^Your sides? Do some crunches so that your love handles will go away.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2022 11:03 PM

R4 Interesting! I googled the hotel and looking thru photos realized their pool was ALSO used in Cruel Intentions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2022 12:33 AM

It’s a beautiful hotel. The Janet video is amazing. I wish Carly had taken part in it.

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2022 4:13 PM

Nowadays Missy Elliott lost the weight, while Janet is morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2022 4:16 PM

Morbidly obese? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2022 4:17 PM

Isn't Missy a carpet muncher?

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2022 5:11 PM

i remember talking to a vfx person who discussed having to digitally remove 2 inches off each of Janet's hips for some music video.

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2022 6:17 PM

she looks like the black teletubby here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2022 6:20 PM

Janet does look super hot here. Missy, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2022 6:25 PM

Missy was sexually assaulted all throughout her childhood. Leave her alone.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2022 6:32 PM

WAS is the operative word. For a brief monent.

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2022 7:08 PM

When Janet wants to get snatched, she gets snatched. I’m still in awe at her body during this peek of the backstage quick change during the All For You tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2022 10:26 PM

Missy essentially retired from music a while back, apparently she had a ton of health problems that led to her shedding all her weight.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2022 10:54 PM

I love that Janbot has polluted DL so much that anyone giving Janet Jackson even a vague compliment feels the need to say ‘I’m not Janbot but…’. What a legacy.

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2022 11:10 PM

[quote]I wish Carly had taken part in it.

Carly was *not* happy when P Diddy removed her--FROM HER OWN SONG--and brought in Missy Elliot for the remix. She used very unfortunate language.

The song still bombed.

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2022 11:54 PM

Janet is fine and I like her overall, but I thought this song was terrible.

Mostly because she had a great song in Got Til It's Gone and it just felt like someone in her crew said, "Well, since you did Joni Mitchell, let's rip off a Carly Simon song next."

All For You was the album where I lost my interest in Janet's music - instead of being at least somewhat of an innovator, or at least a leader in the field, she began to chase the sounds of a younger audience or imitated younger artists. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2022 12:01 AM

R20, are you friends with Carly? How would you know that? I liked her video inclusion during SOAG on the All For You tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2022 12:12 AM

I always thought this song was horrible, no wonder it bombed. At the time, it was Janet's lowest charting single since her pre-Control days.

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2022 12:21 AM

The video is amazing. Francis Lawrence’s direction and the cinematography are on point.

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2022 12:40 AM

It's derivative and repetitive. Nothing is on point or on fleek.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2022 12:55 AM

[quote] Isn't Missy a carpet muncher?

Yes. And from the looks of her, Janet munches everything else.

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2022 12:59 AM

R21: agree. I was/am a big Janet fan and had high expectations for the album after All For You, the single, came out. Much as Velvet Rope was critically acclaimed etc, I was excited to have fun, dance Janet back. The album is mainly filler though, especially in the middle where there’s 4-5 of her slow/sex songs.

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2022 1:01 AM

We were all mad at Janet when she fed us with Baja Fresh cards for three months. The least she could have done was let us get fresh milk from her.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2022 1:03 AM

Janet contacted Carly to ask about using the sample.

Carly was so excited about the project, she re-recorded the sample so Janet didn't have to pay the original label. And then she recorded extra vocals for Janet to use.

Janet used all of that in the original song. And Carly was very excited about being involved in a possible hit.

But when P Diddy got involved, he got rid of all of Carly's vocals (except the famous re-recorded sample) and replaced her with Missy Elliot.

Needless to say, Carly was not pleased.

But it didn't matter. Whereas "You're So Vain" was a great song and a hit, "Son of a Gun" was neither.

Maybe a song that starts off with "ha ha hew hew" isn't Gershwin.

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2022 1:19 AM

[quote] It's derivative and repetitive. Nothing is on point or on fleek.

Bitch, ‘bye. You keep trying.

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2022 1:20 AM

[quote] Needless to say, Carly was not pleased.

You keep saying this but have provided not one receipt. And, until you can do so, kindly shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote]All For You was the album where I lost my interest in Janet's music - instead of being at least somewhat of an innovator, or at least a leader in the field, she began to chase the sounds of a younger audience or imitated younger artists. No thanks.

r21 I really didn't care for this song either (in this video remixed version), but All For You was an outstanding album still, probably Janet's most underrated album. The production by Jam and Lewis was EXQUISITE, like the best in the Y2K era. So slick, beautiful and futuristic.

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2022 1:27 AM

I do remember Puffy being in a snit because Janet had never worked with him, saying something along the lines of “She must not want the hits” or something like that. Back then, he was the producer of the day, and had worked with a ton of artists. At the time, I kept thinking who the hell does he think he is? Not everybody wants that Bad Boy sound in their work. She finally relented and enlisted him for the SOAG remix. It’s not as good as the video version, and the video version is not as good as the album version, which is just Janet and Carly. Carly’s lyrics about various clouds and such are quirky and fun, and it’s cool hearing her do her middle-aged white lady rapping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2022 1:30 AM

[quote]You keep saying this but have provided not one receipt. And, until you can do so, kindly shut the fuck up.

My, my, so controlling.

I don't need to prove anything to you. Run along and pester someone else with your nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2022 1:31 AM

[quote] All For You was an outstanding album

It is. One of my favorite cuts is China Love, a track about a woman who had a past life love affair. I always pictured a big budget video shot on location in the Orient with somebody like Russell Wong as her leading man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2022 1:34 AM

[quote] I don't need to prove anything to you.

Because you can’t. ‘Bye, pumpkin!

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2022 1:35 AM

[quote]Carly’s lyrics about various clouds and such are quirky and fun, and it’s cool hearing her do her middle-aged white lady rapping.

Carly's old lady rapping was beyond embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2022 1:37 AM

R36 is very close to celebrities. She reads People.

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2022 1:38 AM

I found out what nimbus and stratus clouds were thanks to this song.

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2022 2:44 AM

I didn't like it either, the whole album is reductive and uses too many samples. This was the last Janet cd I ever bought and I listened to it maybe 4 times. She is forever tarnished like her brother to me now. I won't listen to either of them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2022 3:09 AM

Tarnished by what r40, Nipplegate?

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2022 3:30 AM

How is she tarnished like Michael? I’m not seeing the correlation.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2022 3:48 AM

R40 yr a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2022 3:52 AM

When this flopped, you knew Janet's days were numbered.

When she desperately showed her titty at the SB, she sealed her fate and accelerated the decline.

She was already on a downward trajectory at the Super Bowl.

by Anonymousreply 44January 11, 2022 4:04 AM

[quote] She is forever tarnished like her brother to me now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2022 11:45 AM

A few things, R44…

Janet’s days were not numbered just because SOAG did not chart as well as her previous singles. 9/11 had just happened, and Virgin dropped the promo ball with it. Janet wanted to release the uptempo Come On Get Up instead, and there had been a video shoot planned, but SOAG was chosen instead.

Suffice it to say, she went on to draw big ratings when HBO aired her final stop of the All For You tour in Hawaii, and the album itself gave her her biggest first week sales ever and netted her another Grammy. They don’t ask people who are on a downward trajectory to headline the Super Bowl halftime show, but you knew this.

And, lastly, go kick rocks.

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2022 11:58 AM

[quote]And, lastly, go kick rocks.

Language!

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2022 3:15 PM

Whoever started this thread hates Janet and is just trying to bait someone into responding "Janet is Fat as Fuck!" Shame on you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2022 4:47 PM

The Queen covers the Feb edition of Allure magazine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2022 5:00 PM

Hiding her weight with big puffy clothes.

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2022 5:01 PM

She's slaying. Go Jan!

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2022 5:02 PM

Jan stans spotted

by Anonymousreply 52January 11, 2022 5:12 PM

Jabba is here. I recognize the stench.

by Anonymousreply 53January 11, 2022 5:23 PM

Iconic, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 54January 11, 2022 5:31 PM

Missy is another who got pumped and dumped by Madonna. Once people collab with her, their output is never the same.

Missy has a "comeback" every three years or so where she releases songs talking about how she's "the best" and so on, but they never do well.

by Anonymousreply 55January 11, 2022 6:04 PM

Did Missy scissor Aaliyah?

by Anonymousreply 56January 11, 2022 8:02 PM

i meant she was tarnished by her undying support for her pedo brother

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2022 1:09 AM

or guilty by association

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2022 1:10 AM

R57, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2022 10:36 AM

R40: I find the whole ‘I won’t listen to their songs anymore’ self-righteous stuff bizarre. If you liked Michael Jackson’s music before any paedophile allegations why deprive yourself of still listening now? The fact he’s dead too. It’s not like he can benefit from the $0.00001 he’d make from your annual streaming activity. And to associate Janet’s music with that too. Fair enough if you just don’t enjoy their music anymore but don’t dress it up as something morally superior to people who do listen to them.

And where do you draw the line? Do enough research and you’ll find dodgy stories about lots of singers/groups. And Michael was never legally convicted. So let’s say your top 10 artists all get accused of rape/molesting kids/whatever you deem over the line for you to keep listening to them in the next year, you’re not going to listen to any of them ever again?

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote] Janet Jackson Was Fit as Fuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2022 11:23 PM

[quote]Janet Jackson Was Fit as Fuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2022 12:07 AM

Bey, you are a total copycat, so have several.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2022 12:20 AM

Have several. That's Janet's motto.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2022 12:28 AM

All For You was good but it was very bubblegum and felt lacking compared to janet and The Velvet Rope which were heavy in social commentary. AFY was a start over for her given her personal life and meant to be this declaration of her sexual autonomy. Britney copied a lot of the sound and vibe off this album I noticed for her third album which was released later in the same year. Brit really never gets called out for being a Janet clone.

Now I have to ask wasn't this a single and Come On, Get Up? (apparently not release in The US). Son of A Gun was not radio-friendly and a poor choice. I feel Virgin chose to wrong singles for this album and secretly wanted to sabotage her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2022 12:35 AM

Janet wanted COGU to be released but Virgin chose SOAG.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2022 12:40 AM

Her episode of Will and Grace ("Back Up, Dancer") is on as I type.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2022 4:35 AM

a lot of people wanted to sabotage her, including the CEO of CBS-TV.

by Anonymousreply 68January 18, 2022 2:43 AM

Yes, everybody wanted to sabotage Janet. It was a conspiracy!!!

by Anonymousreply 69January 18, 2022 2:54 AM

Funny, everyone wanted to sabotage her but no one wanted to buy her albums.

by Anonymousreply 70January 18, 2022 3:12 AM

Her 2000s discography was so uneven. Jermaine Dupri did more to damage her music career than the Super Bowl aftermath. The blacklisting lasted a few years but her albums were not up to par when it was lifted and MTV started playing her videos again. Taking that long break after Discipline to focus on acting in movies didn't help. Then she semi-retired and got married to a Muslim prince and waited until 2015 for another album.

by Anonymousreply 71January 18, 2022 3:16 AM

r8, she is on the album version of the song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 18, 2022 3:18 AM

^Right, but I wish she was in the video too.

by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2022 4:03 AM

Nobody wants to buy Janet's albums anymore. It's laughable when all these people tweet about Janet and "Justice for Janet" but will they buy her music??

Crickets.

by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2022 5:45 AM

Janet's weight is always up and down, mostly up.

by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2022 5:50 AM

^And you’re mostly a liar.

by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2022 10:33 AM

Nobody buys albums in general especially pop and rap fans who like Spotify and illegal downloads. That's why mainstream music has gotten so terrible. Country and rock fans actually support their artists through buying albums.

by Anonymousreply 77January 18, 2022 12:19 PM

Jabba, we're talking about 20 years ago. You think you'd understand that since it's your forte.

by Anonymousreply 78January 18, 2022 4:50 PM

I agree R77. Kids today don't buy hardcopies of music the way we did. Janet got her hits and sales when you had to physically go out and purchase the music. And yet, with Unbreakable (another #1), she was still able to outsell HAGdonna's heavily-marketed Rebel Fart in the US with little promotion.

by Anonymousreply 79January 18, 2022 4:57 PM

Control really aged well in my opinion. It's sleek, minimalistic and it sounded unique. I don't get the comparisons to Madonna or Michael Jackson because her music sounds nothing like either and no she was not as big as either of them either. She had her own lane and was successful in her own right. Control to The Velvet Rope was a strong 4-album run. By the early 2000s, she ran out of ideas and got stuck on the older, sexually independent single woman route and ditching Jam and Lewis for Dupri was beyond dumb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 19, 2022 1:05 AM

Can’t wait for the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 81January 20, 2022 1:03 AM

were it not for her surname, she'd be axing "do you want fries wid dat?" 12 times daily.

by Anonymousreply 82February 4, 2022 1:11 PM

R79 and Madonna last had a #1 album with her last album , Madame X, in 2019 in the US, becoming the second oldest woman in history to do that after Barbra Streisand

You were saying?

by Anonymousreply 83February 4, 2022 1:15 PM

Queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 4, 2022 1:15 PM

R77 exactly right no one buying albums but her streams should be A LOT better and I’m a Janet fan

If Madonna’s last two albums can have 250 million streams on Spotify for Rebel Heart (2015) and almost 200 million for Madame X (2019) surely Janet could get at least 100 million streams on Spotify from her last album in 2015, which was actually pretty good

by Anonymousreply 85February 4, 2022 1:18 PM

Why is Madonna being brought up? I'm so sick of this feud. Listen to the artist you like and stop caring sales and streams.

by Anonymousreply 86February 4, 2022 1:38 PM

R86 because Janbot brought her up earlier in this thread, because he talks about Madonna more than Janet

by Anonymousreply 87February 4, 2022 1:44 PM

Olympic ice skater Madison Hubbell speaking about Janet's empowerment for females.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 4, 2022 1:55 PM

Indeed. Slut-hog. Ms WhisperCoo looked pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 89February 4, 2022 1:58 PM

I love the biltmore hotel. I've stayed there a few times

I always felt sorry for the poor guy who is chased in the video

by Anonymousreply 90February 4, 2022 2:01 PM

That walk though...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 4, 2022 2:14 PM

The walk was amazing...

by Anonymousreply 92February 4, 2022 7:47 PM

WALK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 5, 2022 3:02 AM

Yes!

by Anonymousreply 94October 5, 2022 1:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!