Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you go to a state university?

Does it embarrass you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2022 11:18 PM

Of course not. I went to a Big Ten school, and my program was one of the top three in the nation in my field at the time. Why would I be embarrassed?

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2022 3:17 PM

OP probably didn't even graduate from college.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2022 3:19 PM

(Snicker) “you should be if u r not”

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2022 3:19 PM

I went to a Big 10 school, but it was private. We kind of looked down on the other Big 10 schools.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2022 3:19 PM

Yes and no. I loved my college experience.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2022 3:20 PM

Harvard, you dumb shit….

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2022 3:21 PM

As a young overachiever, set to graduate early and some unforeseen obstacles came in the way.. interrupting my scholarships. I did spiral down when I had to look into alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2022 3:21 PM

I went to UC Berkeley. Not embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2022 3:22 PM

As long as you're employed after graduation and become a productive member of society, why should you be embarrassed if you went to a state school (or a trade school)?

You would have less school debt from a state school, too. Less debt is always preferable.

Who writes these things?

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2022 3:22 PM

I went to a Big 10 school and wasn’t at all embarrassed until I moved to a large city about five years later and started hanging out with a truly well-educated crowd. Yale, Brown, various other Ivies. That’s when I realized just how paltry my education actually was. I received a diploma. That diploma got me a job. But I feel cheated of a true educational experience.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2022 3:23 PM

I’ve found anyone who calls themselves “Prep” isn’t typically from that subculture.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2022 3:23 PM

R9 Those who know, know.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2022 3:24 PM

[quote] But I feel cheated of a true educational experience.

The Internet age has given us access to endless amounts of books and lectures that would have been taught at other schools. You can spend your whole life filling whatever gaps interest you.

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2022 3:25 PM

Well, I went to a state school that wasn’t fancy like the rest of the posters here. Embarrassed, sure, but it rarely comes up. I’m not very intelligent so at least I went somewhere and finished, since I didn’t know what to do with myself at that age and I had zero interest in the military.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2022 3:28 PM

"You can spend your whole life filling whatever gaps interest you."

No, Cockgobbler, we aren't going to "fill your gap", no matter how many times you leak pics of your darkened hole.

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2022 3:29 PM

[quote] You can spend your whole life filling whatever gaps interest you.

I have. Or at least I’ve tried. And one of the great things about my friends is that they’re not snobs; they’re happy to pass along what they know. I’m quite blessed, four years at a diploma mill aside.

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2022 3:29 PM

Yes. No.

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2022 3:39 PM

I was thinking that R2, or, more likely, went to a fourth tier private college (e.g. one of those random church-funded small colleges no one has ever heard of.)

Otherwise he'd know that many of the top colleges in the US are "state universities" and carry zero social stigma--Michigan, Cal, UVa and UCLA, just to name a couple.

He'd also know that tuition to those schools for out of state students is not really much of a discount over private school tuition

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2022 3:45 PM

The picture OP used at the top, coupled with "Did you go to a state university?" made me laugh out loud.

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2022 3:54 PM

I went to a Catholic traditionally all-girls college that had only recently started accepting male students. It had local cachet and was one of the last to provide a classical liberal arts education. I got nothing specific to a career out of it, but skills and strategies to be very successful in two different fields, and I'm now building into a third - the last two with my own companies.

It is true that most of the male students were gay and that there was a lot of male-faculty-and-male-student relationships and hookups, but that all was part of the education. Only one of the faculty members was fired for anything, and he was a male teacher who married a former student and who was aggressive with both male and female students.

I've worked extensively with state universities, both central/main campuses and the poor relations or independent state schools in the hinterlands, top-tier research universities and top-10 privates, community colleges and historically black universities. The worst are the top-tier and central state universities, with enough money and power to create towers of influence, encourage corruption while lying about it, foster mediocre talents who meet PR and marketing foci (the female brute cliques and "special studies" tyrants have destroyed many departments around the country, both in science and humanities). They're all trying to succeed at many different things, and it doesn't work that way, not within the American university structures. They're all rather rotten-souled.

I never went near a bible college or anything affiliated with a nutty-fundie mission.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2022 3:59 PM

I went to Stanford. It was a rather miserable experience -- lots of entitled, not terribly articulate, bossy Californians mixed in with smart but weirdly unsophisticated kids from the rest of the West, the Midwest, and the South. I've always been jealous of people who went to college with a really interesting mix of people -- poor, rich, smart, dumb, etc, more like the world, and not like a suburban country club, which was what Stanford basically was. I do hear it's gotten better, more diverse, more interesting but still... what a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2022 4:01 PM

I went someplace better! DeVry!

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2022 4:05 PM

In the South, the state universities are just football clubs.

Everyone knows this.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2022 4:08 PM

I had a friend who went to Sweet Briar. And then it died.

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2022 4:10 PM

"Of course not. I went to a Big Ten school, and my program was one of the top three in the nation in my field at the time. Why would I be embarrassed?"

I went to Northwestern, the only private school in the Big Ten. I didn't grow up in some uniformly wealthy and ambitious community where all the kids were gunning for the most prestigious schools and the parents were bragging about it. So, when I was admitted, a common reaction was "ooh, a Big Ten school" - like the impressive part was going to a school in a well-known, successful sports conference tied to schools like Ohio State and Michigan. They would have been more impressed if I actually was going to Ohio State. Also, some people thought I was going to Northwestern College (now University of Northwestern), a small christian school in Minnesota, where I'm from. It was all so where I'm from (west central Minnesota).

by Anonymousreply 25January 9, 2022 4:12 PM

Big 8, bitches. No shame.

by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2022 4:47 PM

[quote] In the South, the state universities are just football clubs. Everyone knows this

Well if we operate under the theory that it is always 1987 on Datalounge, then R23 is not completely wrong.

However, if we look at this from the perspective of the year 2022, then several of those schools - Florida, Texas, UNC and UVa - are among the top 50 college academically, and several of the others (GA, AL, SC) have upped their games and started attracting larger contingents from outside the region, the Northeast and California, in particular.

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2022 4:55 PM

Any college experience is what you make it. I went to, at the time, the only state university in my state and majored in a field where I was the only student who was in the program. Because of that I had incredible freedom and longitude to do things I couldn’t have done at other schools. It was Art History and the primary professor was the director of the University Art Museum. She was my mentor and I did course work in museum studies and got to curate various exhibitions and do independent studies on topics that interested me, I was eventually even given my own office, which even the grad students didn’t have in the Art building. With all the experience I got from that I was able to get an internship at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where I was the only person from a state school and most were from Ivy or Seven Sister schools or highbrow places like Boudin. I followed that up with another internship at The Brooklyn Museum, again with students from Smith, Vassar, Bryn Mawr and Princeton. I never felt any less then them and while I may not have had year long studies in Florence and know Renaissance Art inside out, I had other strengths that served me well.

My first Masters was from an incredibly small graduate school that didn’t even have an undergraduate program, but is the most highly regarded school in the nation for what it does. It was one of the most gratifying learning experiences of my life, and again I got to do amazing things because I had the freedom and support of an outstanding program.

My second Masters is from a private/public hybrid type that really only exists in that state and there are two very different schools that are in the unique category. It had the prestige I wanted for the program, though it had been resting on it laurels for quite awhile. Again, I got to do some amazing things because of it.

One thing I think that fails students is the fact that they are paying for their education and they can demand the right to the highest quality that they deserve and expect. It’s all there and you need to be the main component to make it happen. When I had a subpar professor in undergrad, who was also homophobic, I took her in front of the department head, who I was close with and was another mentor, and withdrew from the class. She was not asked back to teach the next semester. There is no need to put up with bad educators and students have the power to change that.

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2022 4:55 PM

I first went to a public community college and transferred to a state university. I worked while attending and graduated with zero debt. I then got two grad degrees from decent private colleges. One was completely paid for by my employer.

By far, the best teachers were the ones at the community college. It was a highly rated cc and they were amazing. The public uni also had very good profs. The teaching at the two private schools was not as good on average, and one of those schools was so bad that I complained to the dean and the visiting accreditation committee at one grad schòol.

I truly do not understand why anyone takes on major debt for any private college degree unless it is only way to get into a profession they want to join or is from the kind of top tier school where they get amazing networking opportunities or an alum network that pretty much guarantees a job.

I worked at a decent but unexceptional private college. Some parents and kids rack up spectacular debt so that a kid with little intellectual curiosity can drink and party for four years, doing just enough classwork to scrape by. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2022 5:02 PM

I’m a proud graduate of Oral U. (Not to be confused with the religious institution)

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2022 11:14 PM

I went to 2 Ivies and Sorbonne but also I went to Hunter for some classes and 2 community colleges and 1 state university in USA. Every school was fine, there is no need for any embarrassment many state schools are more than fine they are great. The USA shouldn't even have a private/state division anymore. But nobody is going to solve that in our lifetimes just like the lack of universal health care.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2022 11:24 PM

Undergrad at one of the original "Public Ivies." Grad school at a massive, Midwestern university (it it in the top three in my field). My entire professional career of 33 years has been in top-tier private colleges and universities. So... who would have thought...

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2022 11:31 PM

Yes. Not embarrassed in the least.

Despite (or perhaps because of) having attended what I fondly refer to as my "land-grant school," I had a successful career that allowed me to retire at age 50.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2022 11:34 PM

For undergrad, yes. For grad school, Princeton. If you think there's no difference between a state university and an Ivy League education, then you're fooling yourself. Of course, college is what you make of it, but the opportunities are incomparable.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2022 11:36 PM

Yes, I went to a state school. I had a blast in college and got out with very little debt. I graduated in '83 during the recession and landed a job within 3 months after relocating to Boston. I transferred to the west coast and worked until 2013 then retired at age 56. No regrets.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2022 11:55 PM

I went to a public university in an exceptionally beautiful area, and more Nobel laureates are from this university than the entire former Soviet Union.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2022 11:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2022 12:03 AM

I'm a graduate of the University of Alabama!! Roll Tide!!!

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2022 12:04 AM

I graduated with a PhD from a fourth tier university. Throughout my career in higher education, many alums of elite universities reported to me. Many of them had no common sense whatsoever, though they were brilliant in a very narrow specialty. So, no, I am not the least bit embarrassed for their lack of problem solving and critical thinking skills.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2022 12:10 AM

I went to a Public Ivy School.

College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA)

Miami University (Oxford, OH)

University of California system

University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

University of Texas at Austin

University of Vermont (Burlington)

University of Virginia (Charlottesville)

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2022 12:11 AM

Yes, I did. And it wasn't even one of the top state schools in my state. Graduated debt-free I'm not embarrassed at all.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2022 12:19 AM

I went to two private art colleges, graduating from California College of the Arts after transferring from the first school. Not all of the academics required to graduate were offered by the art schools. I got those credits at SF State while attending CCA, then transferred the units.

Not embarrassed at all. I would relive those years if I could, they were among the happiest I've had.

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2022 12:21 AM

Employers will not hire you unless you went one of the best schools.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2022 12:23 AM

I attended University of New Mexico and I regret ever attending that heavily biased and corrupt piece of shit university. The hospitals affiliated with them are also corrupt and filled with piece of shit employees.

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2022 12:29 AM

Yes. No. Why? Everyone knows you go tp a sate U, study law, go back home, run the town. A good life. How you doin, OP?

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2022 12:32 AM

The first college class I had was between my Junior and Senior years of high school. I was the only person in the room who didn't have at least a Bachelor's, and there were several MSs and a couple PhDs there, too. Most of them dropped out before the end of the term. I've known any number of Ivy graduates, and a lot of them are colossal nincompoops.

That crowd has been sitting on their laurels (and other things) for decades.

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2022 12:45 AM

Those who can't get in … go to state schools.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2022 9:55 PM

Yes, I went to State schools. No student loan debts.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2022 9:57 PM

R47 = dumb humorless cunt. What if one gets into UVA, UCLA, Berkeley, Michigan?

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2022 9:57 PM

No, because most people think Rutgers, if they've heard of it, is a "private" school.

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2022 10:10 PM

I went to a Cal State University and no, I'm not embarrassed. It was damn hard finishing it when I was already in my late 20s and doing so while working.

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2022 10:11 PM

Quaecumque Sunt Vera, R4

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2022 10:42 PM

I went to UVA and while I loved it while I was there and love the prestige factor of having a degree from there, if I had to go back to college knowing what I know today, I would probably pick a different school.

And yes, it would probably be a smaller, private school.

But I wouldn’t say I regret it exactly, either. It was the perfect college experience for me at the time.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2022 10:49 PM

Was it a charm school r53?

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2022 11:08 PM

It's baffling that www.goop.com briefly went to UCSB.

Couldn't they buy her a slot at a private school?

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2022 11:09 PM

this year USC actually bested UCLA's acceptance rate

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2022 11:10 PM

I went to one for two years so I could transfer to a better university.

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2022 11:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!