Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Share your tips (ugh, "life hacks") with your fellow DLers

Mine: I keep my car parked outside and it has a rack on the top. When it snows, I take contractor garbage bags which I cut along the sides to make one long piece. I drape two bags over the roof and rack and tuck the ends into the doors to hold them in place. And I raise the hood and put a third one over it and tuck the ends inside before closing the hood. I also have one of those windshield covers. I take a bristle broom and shove the snow off the bags (not worrying that I will scratch the paint, because the bags are there). Then I remove the bags and the car is cleaned off.

It sounds complicated, but it takes me about 3 minutes to place the bags and about 3 minutes to clear the car of snow. And I don't have to worry about the snow that is much harder to remove because of the rack (and I don't have to worry about leaving it there and seeing it fly off in giant chunks while I'm driving).

I re-use the bags, so there's no waste.

by Anonymousreply 349January 19, 2022 8:49 PM

Pineapple.

by Anonymousreply 1January 7, 2022 2:56 PM

OP, I just bought one. Cost me $38 bucks and takes 30 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2022 2:57 PM

R2 - do they sell them for roofs and hoods too? I'd LOVE that

by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2022 2:58 PM

Mine: I park in the garage.

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2022 3:01 PM

That's definitely preferred, R4. But not an option for me, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2022 3:03 PM

Mine: I live where it don't snow.

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2022 3:04 PM

I was just kidding, R5. I mean, I do park in the garage, but just being DL snarky.

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2022 3:06 PM

Even if the Sara Lee cakes are marked down 5 for $1, buy only one. Otherwise you'll gorge them all down in a day. Or maybe two.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2022 3:07 PM

If you want to cover the whole thing, buy a car cover. Probably much more than 38 bucks but better than the time and effort put into that dance of the seven cut up garbage bag veils.

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2022 3:07 PM

Every time you leave a room, take something out of that doesn't belong there and put it where it does.

Also, as soon as possible each morning, make your bed. It's a Youtube commencement speech thing but it sets your frame of mind.

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2022 3:08 PM

I always HAD to make the bed as a kid, until I moved out of the house. Then in college I made it because dorm rooms were small and we'd use the bed as seating. It was a habit that I stuck with even as a young adult. Then in my 30s, sort of out of nowhere, I stopped making the bed for years. I would sometimes, but more often than not, I wouldn't. But, just as randomly, I started again after that period and now make it nearly every day. And if I don't because I'm rushing, I'll still make it when I get home.

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2022 3:14 PM

Don't buy fitted sheets. Tie a knot at each corner of a flat sheet, instead.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2022 3:22 PM

Parking outside is for the Poors.

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2022 3:23 PM

I was very diligent about making my bed, then I read that it was better to leave it unmade. Now I only make it if someone is going to see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2022 3:26 PM

Make sure your moody, post-suicidal son is in the mood for breakfast before you go to the trouble of making anything for him.

You can't save French Toast.

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2022 3:28 PM

R12, if you turn the flat sheet sideways and align is with the edge of the top surface of the mattress at the foot, you should have room to tuck it under the head of the mattress, and more fabric to tuck deeper under the mattress on the sides, which will hold it without knots. Unless you are a really active sleeper, there isn't a need to tuck the sheet under the mattress at the foot of the bed, as it isn't visible since it is covered with the other bedding. I actually use twin flat sheets on my full bed, as the bottom sheet fully covers the mattress, and the top doesn't need to be tucked in on the sides when making the bed - though that might not work if you don't sleep alone.

by Anonymousreply 16January 7, 2022 4:39 PM

Where were you when they started the Fitted Sheet War of 2022? Or will we just call it January 7th?

by Anonymousreply 17January 7, 2022 4:41 PM

Why would one want to buy flat sheets instead of fitted?

Are they cheaper? Easier to fold? Associated with being "Hi-Klass"?,

by Anonymousreply 18January 7, 2022 4:44 PM

Sports car in the snow and you wanna put sandbags in the rear for extra traction? Don't. Off-brand kitty litter bags are a fraction of the price.

by Anonymousreply 19January 7, 2022 4:45 PM

I have 6 large safety pins that I use on each corner of the bed and 2 in the midde of each long side to attach the fitted sheet tightly to the mattress. I can not tolerate how even fitted sheets get loose and wrinkly after only one night of sleep. The safety pins keeps the sheet super tight.

by Anonymousreply 20January 7, 2022 4:45 PM

They are easier to iron, fold, and store. You can also switch which is the top and which is the bottom sheet. Bottom sheets wear out faster, as they are subject to more friction.

by Anonymousreply 21January 7, 2022 4:45 PM

Bottoms usually do.

by Anonymousreply 22January 7, 2022 4:47 PM

I keep all my sweet pickle brine from store bought pickles. I buy cucumbers and slice them into strips and place them between thick layers of paper towels for about 4 hours to leach all the water out of them. Then I put them in jars and fill them up with the sweet pickle brine along with some added red pepper flakes for a little kick. After about 5 days in the fridge you have delicious half sweet pickles that still have a hint of the fresh cucumber in them. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 23January 7, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote] Don't buy fitted sheets.

Except sheets usually come in sets.

I was reading some youtube vids about these kind of tips. True rabbit hole material.

by Anonymousreply 24January 7, 2022 4:54 PM

Instead of wasting money on toner, make an aspirin mask with 5 or so (uncoated) aspirin, water (it could be rose water) or Cetaphil, in a little pool in the palm of your hand. Rub onto your face while showering. Then rinse. Do so 1-2 times per week. Salicyclic acid is the principal metabolite of aspirin, and is a beta hydroxy acid. (Unless you are aspirin sensitive, on blood thinners or allergic)

by Anonymousreply 25January 7, 2022 4:57 PM

Don't trust short men, redheads, skinny straight white men who marry fat or Asian women, women over 30 who call themselves "single moms," people who wear their glasses on a chain around their neck, Mormons,Jehovah's Witnesses, $cios, women who make a point of celebrating a white-skunk-streak in their hair, tenured or tenure-track academics, fundamentalists anythings, nurses (outside the sick room), Kanye West, Mariah Carey, or anyone who voted Republican in 2018 or 2020.

by Anonymousreply 26January 7, 2022 4:58 PM

Have money - lots of it. You will find life much easier.

by Anonymousreply 27January 7, 2022 4:59 PM

Anyone who irons sheets has way too much time on their hands.

R10, what sort of things end up in rooms they are not supposed to be in? It’s genuinely hard for me to see this as a problem and I am trying to think about what and how that happens.

by Anonymousreply 28January 7, 2022 5:00 PM

A coat left on a chair.

A glass left on a coaster.

It’s the best piece of DL advice, and it helpfully shows up in these threads all the time.

by Anonymousreply 29January 7, 2022 5:02 PM

Agree, R28, ridiculous and wearing on the material.

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2022 5:02 PM

It took me 5 seconds after reading all of R25’s post that this did not pertain to printing.

by Anonymousreply 31January 7, 2022 5:02 PM

Asian children are the best at laundering your delicates due to their small hands.

by Anonymousreply 32January 7, 2022 5:02 PM

Why would someone iron sheets? That's what fabric softener sheets in the dryer are for. Just don't use them on your towels or the towels will repel water rather than absorb it.

by Anonymousreply 33January 7, 2022 5:08 PM

I love freshly ironed sheets. It makes them feel soft and smooth. Dryer sheets make me feel itchy, and make my skin break out in tiny hives. They coat sheets, just like they do towels, and make the sheets breathe less.

by Anonymousreply 34January 7, 2022 5:23 PM

If you're out and about and want to remind yourself to do something later use your smartphone. With iPhone, you can say "Hey Siri, set a reminder for 6:00 to .....:"

by Anonymousreply 35January 7, 2022 5:24 PM

If you are visiting someone and have something in their refrigerator you need to take home with you put your car keys in there with it. You won't leave without either!

by Anonymousreply 36January 7, 2022 5:25 PM

Stained food storage containers?

If they're plastic, use the power of the sun to remove red or yellow stains.

by Anonymousreply 37January 7, 2022 5:31 PM

[quote]Dryer sheets make me feel itchy, and make my skin break out in tiny hives. They coat sheets, just like they do towels, and make the sheets breathe less.

Use vinegar as a fabric softener and dryer balls to rough them up as they tumble. Never use fabric softener on towels. You are right, it coats the fibres and ruins the the absorption.

by Anonymousreply 38January 7, 2022 5:32 PM

I don't use fabric softener, dryer sheets or dryer balls and my clothes come out just fine. I rarely fold sheets as I tend to put them right back on my bed as soon as they are dry. No wrinkles.

by Anonymousreply 39January 7, 2022 5:37 PM

R23, light pickling even can be done easily with one's own fresh ingredients rather than reusing mixed-together commercial products.

by Anonymousreply 40January 7, 2022 5:41 PM

Even quality sheets need special care, so I am preserving mine by never having sex on them.

by Anonymousreply 41January 7, 2022 5:50 PM

[quote] Bottom sheets wear out faster, as they are subject to more friction.

Maybe yours are. Unfortunately, not mine.

by Anonymousreply 42January 7, 2022 5:59 PM

[quote] If you are visiting someone and have something in their refrigerator you need to take home with you put your car keys in there with it. You won't leave without either!

What if they don’t know you’re taking it?

by Anonymousreply 43January 7, 2022 6:00 PM

Ladies, wiping back to front will cover up that smell of fish for a while.

by Anonymousreply 44January 7, 2022 6:00 PM

Mine: I’m not poor.

by Anonymousreply 45January 7, 2022 6:07 PM

Quick, easy, healthier creamed spinach:

Wilt one bag spinach in skillet (minced garlic optional). Add one of those 4 oz. containers of herbed cheese. Combine and serve immediately.

by Anonymousreply 46January 7, 2022 6:07 PM

[quote] Instead of wasting money on toner, make an aspirin mask with 5 or so (uncoated) aspirin, water (it could be rose water)

I don't think my printer or my copier would work on that.

by Anonymousreply 47January 7, 2022 6:16 PM

You don't get rips where the fabric pulls away from the pins, r20?

by Anonymousreply 48January 7, 2022 6:21 PM

No I haven't noticed so far. That was a concern at first. It may be because I'm a rather little feller.

by Anonymousreply 49January 7, 2022 6:23 PM

[quote]Dryer sheets make me feel itchy, and make my skin break out in tiny hives.

I like wool dryer balls, and will frequently toss a Bounce Free & Gentle in with the load as well. I hate strong laundry smells, but can't go without using anything because fabrics will get stiff or full of static.

by Anonymousreply 50January 7, 2022 6:25 PM

R35, if you hold down the Siri button and say Lumos the flash light will turn on. You can also say Hey Siri, Lumos, but I find that less magical.

by Anonymousreply 51January 7, 2022 6:26 PM

In the hot summer months squeeze some mint flavored toothpaste onto your wash rag and wash your naughty bits with it. You'll thank me later. Pepsodint is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 52January 7, 2022 6:29 PM

Youch R52.!

I once put CBD rub on my naughty bits and it was opening.

by Anonymousreply 53January 7, 2022 6:49 PM

May not be the most earth shattering advice but it helps me all the time: If you bake ad-hoc and need room temperature eggs, leave them in hot or warm water for just five or ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 54January 7, 2022 7:55 PM

It's not home made cole slaw if it doesn't have a chunk of skin in it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 7, 2022 8:03 PM

Obviously that advice only applies if you grate your cabbage and don't chopper it. My old aunt told me that but she only had a grater.

by Anonymousreply 56January 7, 2022 8:04 PM

[quote] Quick, easy, healthier creamed spinach:

Healthier than what, R46? A pint of Ben and Jerrys?

by Anonymousreply 57January 7, 2022 8:08 PM

[quote] They are easier to iron, fold, and store. You can also switch which is the top and which is the bottom sheet. Bottom sheets wear out faster, as they are subject to more friction.

N/A

by Anonymousreply 58January 7, 2022 8:08 PM

R24 Yes, if you buy those floral-decorated polyester sheets with the "free" pillowcase at K-Mart you'll be buying a plastic-wrapped set, and you'll get what you're given.

Those of us who buy 400-thread undyed percale sheets have more options.

by Anonymousreply 59January 7, 2022 8:28 PM

[quote] Those of us who buy 400-thread undyed percale sheets have more options.

Wow.

If I ever start bragging to people about how Klassee my sheets are, please shoot me.

by Anonymousreply 60January 7, 2022 9:37 PM

If you don't like dryer anti-static sheets just wad up some aluminum foil into a loose ball about 4" in circumference and throw that into the dryer. That will remove all static electricity from your clothes. And you can use it over and over.

by Anonymousreply 61January 7, 2022 9:39 PM

Honey, I’m not doing anything for 4”!

by Anonymousreply 62January 7, 2022 9:44 PM

[quote] I once put CBD rub on my naughty bits and it was opening.

Trust me there's no youch. Toothpaste is just soap for your teeth. Using Pepsodint or any other mint flavored toothpaste in the summer will cool your junk down nicely.

by Anonymousreply 63January 7, 2022 9:44 PM

But not on your sheets. The staining is a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 64January 7, 2022 9:45 PM

R51, that’s a great tip. But what do say to Siri to get him to turn OFF the flashlight?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 65January 7, 2022 9:45 PM

If you're the sort that worries if you turned off the oven or iron, or locked the door(s), or other small task that might have consequences, utter some nonsense phrase while doing so. ("Paris egg salad," for example.) When you try to remember if you've done something you'll remember the phrase, if not the act.

by Anonymousreply 66January 7, 2022 9:52 PM

Don't put your hat on the bed, it's bad luck.

by Anonymousreply 67January 7, 2022 9:52 PM

Don't eat yellow snow.

by Anonymousreply 68January 7, 2022 9:54 PM

Share my tips??????

by Anonymousreply 69January 7, 2022 9:56 PM

Duct tape...good for many things, in a pinch.

by Anonymousreply 70January 7, 2022 9:57 PM

Wear caftan for easy presentation of hole. You never know when you'll need to present.

by Anonymousreply 71January 7, 2022 9:57 PM

[quote] But what do say to Siri to get him to turn OFF the flashlight?

Nox.

by Anonymousreply 72January 7, 2022 9:59 PM

If you want to spend less water, only 💩 once a month, so you don't have to flush.

by Anonymousreply 73January 7, 2022 10:01 PM

One word...Windex...

by Anonymousreply 74January 7, 2022 10:02 PM

I stopped using fabric softener when I found out it softens fabric by breaking down the fibers. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 75January 7, 2022 10:04 PM

R73, hi, Darfur Orphan!

by Anonymousreply 76January 7, 2022 10:10 PM

[quote] Duct tape...good for many things, in a pinch.

How well I know.

by Anonymousreply 77January 7, 2022 10:24 PM

Look in the mirror, carefully.

The person looking back at you is the only person you can trust in this cold, lonely world.

by Anonymousreply 78January 7, 2022 10:24 PM

Make the bed?

Iron the sheets?

Why would I do my maid's job?

by Anonymousreply 79January 7, 2022 10:29 PM

Say "Hey Siri, vibrate the phones of the sexually promiscuous near me?" Then, look for men who pick up their phones.

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2022 10:38 PM

Before getting in your car, empty your bladder. If you get in a wreck and are transported to the ER by ambulance, you will remain strapped to a backboard for HOURS.

by Anonymousreply 81January 7, 2022 10:40 PM

[quote] I stopped using fabric softener when I found out it softens fabric by breaking down the fibers.

Fabric softener only damages synthetic fabrics. And, you don't want to be hanging out with the sorts of people who wear synthetics anyway.

by Anonymousreply 82January 7, 2022 10:40 PM

Double knit! It is of the Devil.

by Anonymousreply 83January 7, 2022 10:41 PM

Broadcloth is also one of Satan's scourges on mankind.

by Anonymousreply 84January 7, 2022 10:42 PM

Unless you dig ditches for a living, use half the amount of laundry detergent you are currently using.

And stop using those ridiculously stupid pods!

by Anonymousreply 85January 7, 2022 10:44 PM

Hair conditioner can substitute for shaving cream.

by Anonymousreply 86January 7, 2022 10:45 PM

Fabric softener makes me not want to stand next to you, let alone lie down with you. I had a friend who wanted to "get together" with me (his terminology), but he absolutely reeked of dryer sheets. Turned out he used liquid fabric softener, then two dryer sheets with each load. The only place I would get naked with him was the steam room at the gym.

by Anonymousreply 87January 7, 2022 10:46 PM

A friend of mine spent a few hundred dollars and had an Ozone Laundry system installed. No more detergent. It sits on the wall behind the washing machine.

by Anonymousreply 88January 7, 2022 10:50 PM

If you find yourself out of toothpaste, just go into the kitchen and get the baking soda. Cake your wet toothbrush with it and brush your teeth. They'll be cleaner than ever before.

by Anonymousreply 89January 7, 2022 10:53 PM

This thread has me moist as a snack cake down there.

by Anonymousreply 90January 7, 2022 10:59 PM

“This thread types poor” made me lol

by Anonymousreply 91January 7, 2022 11:14 PM

Go to 10:04...very helpful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 7, 2022 11:26 PM

If you break your spaghetti in half before boiling, point the V down into the pot instead of a Λ up into the air. More of the little bits of spaghetti that always result will fall into the pot instead of onto the floor or the stove top.

by Anonymousreply 93January 8, 2022 12:10 AM

Or you could break it over the sink like everyone else R93

by Anonymousreply 94January 8, 2022 12:17 AM

No, the little bits fly. I started doing this because I was tired of finding little bits of spaghetti in the corner when I swept the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 95January 8, 2022 12:19 AM

Those little bits of spaghetti are the roaches' share; you're supposed to leave the bits for them so as not to upset the balance of nature.

by Anonymousreply 96January 8, 2022 12:22 AM

Unclear how the pot catches more of those "little bits" than the sink, but if it makes you happy...

by Anonymousreply 97January 8, 2022 12:24 AM

Use a bigger pot so you don’t have to break spaghetti

by Anonymousreply 98January 8, 2022 12:35 AM

No, it's the direction of the break that makes the difference, r97. You want the break to point down, not up. So, a V-shaped break instead of aΛ . It feels odd, your hands want the broken ends to point upward after the break, but if you point the break downward, fewer bits fly away.

by Anonymousreply 99January 8, 2022 12:42 AM

And if you broke it in a V over the sink?

by Anonymousreply 100January 8, 2022 12:47 AM

Who the hell breaks spaghetti?

by Anonymousreply 101January 8, 2022 12:58 AM

Drain your spaghetti. It saves time.

by Anonymousreply 102January 8, 2022 1:00 AM

Always wear underwear.

by Anonymousreply 103January 8, 2022 1:13 AM

If you're a top and you realize you forgot to put out a towel you can use to wipe the lube off your hands, the bottom's hair makes a good substitute.

by Anonymousreply 104January 8, 2022 1:18 AM

Who is breaking spaghetti?

Stupidi maiali volgari che dovrebbero perdere la lingua.

by Anonymousreply 105January 8, 2022 1:19 AM

Don’t eat broken spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 106January 8, 2022 1:19 AM

Never buy new small kitchen appliances. They are all poorly made. Instead buy vintage new-in-box items on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 107January 8, 2022 1:19 AM

R103, one of the first things you learn in Catholic seminary is the motto "Semper Ubi Sububi."

by Anonymousreply 108January 8, 2022 1:21 AM

I wouldn't share my tip with the whores around her if I had ten condoms on it.

by Anonymousreply 109January 8, 2022 1:21 AM

Can’t ever remember where you parked in a big parking garage? Take a photo of the nearest pillar that has the floor number and area painted on it (“4B” for instance). Also works with street signs on corners (“24th and Sanchez”).

by Anonymousreply 110January 8, 2022 1:50 AM

If your bed sheets ball up in the dryer and then don't dry uniformly, buy these online -- Wad-Free Washer & Dryer Bed Sheet Detangler. I used to have to run my king sheets twice through the dryer after unballing them. Not anymore. These things are genius.

by Anonymousreply 111January 8, 2022 1:50 AM

Seems cheesy. Totally worth the cost. I won't wash sheets without them now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 8, 2022 1:53 AM

I like those detanglers. Stupid tangled and balled up sheets in the dryer bothered me a lot. Or blankets. I tie the four ends together with a shoe lace. No tangling.

by Anonymousreply 113January 8, 2022 1:54 AM

Take a photo of your ID with your vaccinations card.

by Anonymousreply 114January 8, 2022 2:08 AM

OP- You sound like loads of fun! Really.

by Anonymousreply 115January 8, 2022 2:12 AM

I use that one R110

And when I was in my George Cllooney in Up In The Air stage of constant business travel, I also used to take a photo of my hotel room number,

by Anonymousreply 116January 8, 2022 2:36 AM

[quote] "Semper Ubi Sububi."

That is Latin for "Never Break Spaghetti".

by Anonymousreply 117January 8, 2022 2:41 AM

Broken spaghetti is the drained pasta of 2022.

by Anonymousreply 118January 8, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote]Don’t eat broken spaghetti.

I can't eat it. My spaghetti is brokened.

by Anonymousreply 119January 8, 2022 2:55 AM

These are good until they rip holes in your sheets R111

by Anonymousreply 120January 8, 2022 1:15 PM

For better spaghetti once it's finished boiling pour out all the cooking water and return the pot of noodles to the burner. If you're cooking with electricity turn the element off and just use the residual heat, and if with gas turn the flame down as low as it will get. Stir the noodles in the pot to evaporate all of the remaining cooking water for a minute or so. Once your noodles are dry remove the pot from the stove and stir a ladle of two of the spaghetti sauce into the noodles. Once it's all well incorporated you're ready to turn the noodles out into a serving bowl.

Doing this will make sure the sauce will not run off the wet noodles onto your plate forming a watery puddle.

by Anonymousreply 121January 8, 2022 6:00 PM

[quote] I wouldn't share my tip with the whores around her

Who?

by Anonymousreply 122January 8, 2022 6:35 PM

R112, I don’t want anything called No Wad!

by Anonymousreply 123January 8, 2022 6:36 PM

[quote]Also works with street signs on corners (“24th and Sanchez”)

This will be on my gravestone. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 124January 8, 2022 6:43 PM

If you are not already doing so make a plan to regularly make sure all your photos are backed up somewhere, whether it's the cloud or an external hard drive.

by Anonymousreply 125January 8, 2022 6:50 PM

Keep a list of everything that is normally in your wallet so if it gets stolen or you lose it you know the information for which cards to cancel, etc.

by Anonymousreply 126January 8, 2022 6:51 PM

[quote]Keep a list of everything that is normally in your wallet so if it gets stolen or you lose it you know the information for which cards to cancel, etc.

Easier still: scan or photocopy front and back of every card and keep it somewhere safe.

by Anonymousreply 127January 8, 2022 7:07 PM

Don't piss in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 128January 8, 2022 7:42 PM

Use an Afro pick as a knife guide to cut even slices of tomatoes and onions.

by Anonymousreply 129January 8, 2022 7:59 PM

Don't trust anything I say.

by Anonymousreply 130January 8, 2022 8:29 PM

[quote] Use an Afro pick

That’s racist! It’s a [italic]hair[/italic] pick!! Now I’ve got my eye on you, kid.

by Anonymousreply 131January 8, 2022 8:38 PM

[quote] Use an Afro pick as a knife guide to cut even slices of tomatoes and onions.

That’s actually a fantastic idea and a great tip.

by Anonymousreply 132January 8, 2022 8:39 PM

Works for melon too.

by Anonymousreply 133January 8, 2022 8:41 PM

"Broken Spaghetti," an emotionally devastating duet by Adele and Chrissy Metz.

by Anonymousreply 134January 8, 2022 8:42 PM

Yeah, like she’d turn down spaghetti, broken or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 135January 8, 2022 8:43 PM

In all seriousness I need to do some scanning etc with papers. And also ID where gas/electric shutoff is....am in earthquake country now

by Anonymousreply 136January 8, 2022 8:43 PM

Broken spaghetti has no calories.

by Anonymousreply 137January 8, 2022 9:04 PM

If like me you have no idea what your license plate # is, have a photo of it on your phone in case you need to know it in a hurry.

by Anonymousreply 138January 8, 2022 9:08 PM

Don't pee in my pool and I won't swim in your toilet.

by Anonymousreply 139January 8, 2022 9:11 PM

Broken spaghetti is for people in day care and nursing homes.

by Anonymousreply 140January 8, 2022 9:15 PM

Couldn’t you just check your registration in your wallet?

by Anonymousreply 141January 8, 2022 9:15 PM

LINDA LAVIN

BONNIE FRANKLIN

and

BONNIE BEDELIA

star in

BROKEN SPAGHETTI

by Anonymousreply 142January 8, 2022 9:16 PM

“ Couldn’t you just check your registration in your wallet?”

Do people carry their car registration in their wallet?

by Anonymousreply 143January 8, 2022 9:20 PM

[quote]—PATSY RAMSEY LOVING MOTHER OF JONBENET

Someone is new.

by Anonymousreply 144January 8, 2022 9:25 PM

Shower mirror. I use a trimmer and a blade with high fat shaving cream (not cheap foam). There's zero cleanup. i shave before shower and it all goes down the drain. and the hair and shaving cream don't end up clogging the sink drain over time.

by Anonymousreply 145January 8, 2022 9:27 PM

Making your bed every day is a useless exercise in futility. Unless you are having guest over and they can see your bed, there is no need to do that and it's just a waste of time and energy.

Buy bed bands to hold your fitted sheet in place.

Buy a crock pot and make meals in it, then freeze them for later. Saves time and money.

Get rid of cable and buy a $30 antenna. You will get crystal clear picture and a lot of channels you've never heard of and you'll save a ton of money. And yes, you can hook up a dvr just like you normally do.

Freeze your bread. Unless you are making sandwiches and need fresh bread, freeze that shit and then toast it. You'll never notice the difference and you will stop buying so much bread. Lots of bread heats up nicely after being frozen and tastes the same as if it were fresh.

Always live below your means. Never charge anything you cannot pay off immediately. The only things you should carry a balance on is a house payment or a car payment and try to avoid those if you can. Debt is slavery. Get a credit card that offers cash back or travel points and use those for all your purchases during the month (including groceries) then pay it off monthly. You'll rack up some free shit and improve your credit score.

by Anonymousreply 146January 8, 2022 9:28 PM

[quote[ freeze that shit

No, R146, flush it down a toilet.

by Anonymousreply 147January 8, 2022 9:30 PM

Insert floor mop into refuse bag to create improvised giant plunger to free up fat doody blocked toilet and save on plumbing call out charges. Have spare bag to hand to carefully slide shitty used one into leaving mop unsullied by its venture down the pan.

by Anonymousreply 148January 8, 2022 9:32 PM

I keep a laminated scan of my driver's permit, my tag (greatly reduced), & my health insurance card, along with the registration in a secret compartment in my trunk. I also keep the same copies on my phone. I asked a cop if the scan of the driver's permit would get me out of a ticket if I got stopped without my real license and he said it would as long as their check came back clean.

And no, you should not carry your registration in your wallet. No one is ever going to ask you to see that other than a cop. Even though in my state they never ask to see your registration because they can look that up on their computer. But the law was amended years back to allow drivers to keep their registration on their smart phones and the cops have to accept that should they want to see a registration.

by Anonymousreply 149January 8, 2022 9:34 PM

CHUCK IT DOWN THE PAN!

ABORT ABORT ABORT!

by Anonymousreply 150January 8, 2022 9:34 PM

[quote] Do people carry their car registration in their wallet?

I thought most do. If you get stopped by a cop you’ll need it, and to keep it in your glove box isn’t a good idea either. If your car gets stolen they’ll have your name and address, too.

by Anonymousreply 151January 8, 2022 9:35 PM

I think R146 and I were raised in the same household.

by Anonymousreply 152January 8, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote] Have spare bag to hand to carefully slide shitty used one into leaving mop unsullied by its venture down the pan.

Say what now?

by Anonymousreply 153January 8, 2022 9:37 PM

Well, r152, did you have a sister?

by Anonymousreply 154January 8, 2022 9:38 PM

r152, are you my sister? Hahahaha.

I am willing to bet you are in your early to mid 50's like me. My parents grew up living in the shadow of their parents' experiences during the depression so they taught us how to live off of little. Although my mother would insist on making the bed every day. This is where I veer away from that. It's just a silly thing to do every day and there is evidence that suggests not making it is better as your body oils and sweat needs to dry.

by Anonymousreply 155January 8, 2022 9:40 PM

I did R154, but trust me you couldn't be her because if you were I would have detected the smell of sulfur and brimstone coming from your post. 😀

by Anonymousreply 156January 8, 2022 9:40 PM

[quote] I am willing to bet you are in your early to mid 50's like me

Well I am headed toward my mid 50s. Unfortunately I'm headed there from the opposite direction. And I've got more than a decade to get there. 😀

by Anonymousreply 157January 8, 2022 9:43 PM

[quote] not cheap foam

My friend Hisstopher is so Hi-Klass.

He does not use cheap foam to shave with, but rather high-fat shaving cream. He said that is the type that European aristocrat billionaires use and that he is lucky that the Dollar Store was carrying it

by Anonymousreply 158January 8, 2022 9:46 PM

[quote] Buy bed bands to hold your fitted sheet in place.

Wait, what?

Isn't the point of a fitted sheet that it doesn't move?

Do other people have this problem?

And what is up with the Eldergay Sheet Fixation? Ironed flat sheets? Fitted sheet bands? WTF Eldergays?

by Anonymousreply 159January 8, 2022 9:49 PM

I tried bed bands. The ones with the connectors that are just like the things on the ends of lady's garter belts. I could never get to work. Sheets are something that I splurge on, and those clips could never get a firm enough hold onto them so they just slipped right off with the least movement. Big 4" safety pins did the job form.

by Anonymousreply 160January 8, 2022 9:52 PM

So your fitted sheets slip too R160?

Is this a common problem?

Can't you just buy sheets that fit your bed?

by Anonymousreply 161January 8, 2022 9:54 PM

I read the R148 post as...

Insert floor MLOP into refuse bag to create improvised giant plunger to free up fat doody blocked toilet and save on plumbing call out charges. Have spare bag to hand to carefully slide shitty used one into leaving MLOP unsullied by its venture down the pan.

One can dream...

by Anonymousreply 162January 8, 2022 10:06 PM

[quote] So your fitted sheets slip too [R160]?

They don't slip as much as they get loose on the bed after one night's sleep. My mattress is 16" deep so I have to buy the fitted sheets that will accommodate that thick of a mattress. I just hate the bottom sheet not being extra tight at all times.

by Anonymousreply 163January 8, 2022 10:24 PM

How the hell can you get a mop head any farther down a toilet than a couple inches from the opening? The toilet bends at 90° just below the surface of the bowl. Why not just buy a real plunger. Or better yet change your diet so your poopiedoops aren't so disgustingly thick.

by Anonymousreply 164January 8, 2022 10:27 PM

[quote]A friend of mine spent a few hundred dollars and had an Ozone Laundry system installed. No more detergent. It sits on the wall behind the washing machine.

I have one too, R88. It's the best three hundred bucks I ever spent! I love the way the ozone smells and my clothes feel so much cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 165January 8, 2022 10:30 PM

Men, don't spend money on those expensive pre shave beard softeners. All they are is cheap hair conditioner. Buy a big bottle of any conditioner at the dollar store and it'll do the same thing as the little tubes of beard softener you'd pay $5.95 for. And don't wipe it off your face before you put the shaving cream on. Your razor will glide over your face so easily.

by Anonymousreply 166January 8, 2022 10:35 PM

[quote]If like me you have no idea what your license plate # is, have a photo of it on your phone in case you need to know it in a hurry.

Same with your VIN.

by Anonymousreply 167January 8, 2022 10:45 PM

Mine: if you're so shit-faced you can'tell if it's 7 am or 7 pm just ask Siri.

by Anonymousreply 168January 8, 2022 10:51 PM

Most people don't even know that their VIN is in at least 2 locations on their car. On the top of the dash in the corner and also on a label inside the driver's side door panel, along with the paint codes for your car should you ever need to buy touch up paint.

by Anonymousreply 169January 8, 2022 10:53 PM

R161 Of course standard fitted sheets slip because they don't really fit your mattress. Use the tie-a-knot-in-each-corner method and you'll get those tight-fitting sheets on your bed, no more slipping.

by Anonymousreply 170January 8, 2022 10:59 PM

Spray your dry cum covered sheets with Shout prior to washing to remove all the cum stains.

by Anonymousreply 171January 8, 2022 11:08 PM

I'll stick with fitted sheets.

by Anonymousreply 172January 8, 2022 11:14 PM

After shaving rinse your razor well with hot water making sure you've gotten all the bits of beard out of the blades. Then use a towel to dry the blades completely before you put the razor somewhere it won't get wet until you use it again. This will make your blades last weeks instead of days.

by Anonymousreply 173January 8, 2022 11:21 PM

[quote] Spray your dry cum covered sheets with Shout

What are you, a wild animal? Don't you keep a cum rag next to your bed? 😀

by Anonymousreply 174January 8, 2022 11:23 PM

[quote] For better spaghetti once it's finished boiling pour out all the cooking water and return the pot of noodles to the burner.

Won't that burn the spaghetti, even at low heat?

by Anonymousreply 175January 8, 2022 11:25 PM

[quote] Use the tie-a-knot-in-each-corner method and you'll get those tight-fitting sheets on your bed, no more slipping.

How exactly does tying a knot on the corner of a flat sheet keep it in place? Do you mean you tie it on to something on the mattress? Or do you create some sort of loop with the knot (is there enough material for that)?

by Anonymousreply 176January 8, 2022 11:37 PM

The best back scratcher in the world is a dollar store toilet brush.

Just to make sure you don’t mix them up

by Anonymousreply 177January 8, 2022 11:38 PM

Listerine kill many germs not just in mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178January 8, 2022 11:38 PM

Yuck R177. They make dry brushes for that.

by Anonymousreply 179January 8, 2022 11:49 PM

Oh! Shave in the shower! Get some mirror. Saves time and those hair bits in the sink.

Piss in there too. OH shower douche while you are at it. 🍑

by Anonymousreply 180January 8, 2022 11:52 PM

I make clove tea and it makes me feel better. You just throw in a handful , let the water boil , turn it off, and let it steep for five minutes or so. After I drink it, I feel good.

by Anonymousreply 181January 8, 2022 11:58 PM

[quote] The best back scratcher in the world is a dollar store toilet brush.

I bought one of those toilet brushes once. Worked pretty good but started to hurt after a while. I went back to toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 182January 9, 2022 12:02 AM

R25 mentioned laundry detergent pods. I found out a while back that you should use powdered dishwasher detergent, not the pods, and put the powder in the little extra cup as well. The reason is that dishwashers have a pre-wash cycle at the beginning, and if you're only using the pod in the cup, which won't open until later in the process, you're missing out on a cleaning cycle during which it will be washing without detergent.

Of course, if you usually select a short cycle anyway (I do), it probably won't make much difference.

by Anonymousreply 183January 9, 2022 12:08 AM

To keep open bags of salty snacks fresh, I fold over the top of the bag and cinch it with a clothespin.

by Anonymousreply 184January 9, 2022 12:09 AM

I thought you used your hairclip.

by Anonymousreply 185January 9, 2022 12:10 AM

What kind of trash has clothespins laying around the house? Oh, honey, no.

You’ve got to get those fancy BAG CLIPs Walmart sells.

by Anonymousreply 186January 9, 2022 12:17 AM

Clothespins are handy for Recon twinks' nipples, etc.

by Anonymousreply 187January 9, 2022 12:20 AM

I thought all the fat whores in here ate the whole bag of salty snacks on one sitting, so a clip to keep them fresh is unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 188January 9, 2022 12:23 AM

Clothespins work. So do document clips.

by Anonymousreply 189January 9, 2022 12:39 AM

[quote] Won't that burn the spaghetti, even at low heat?

No, the cooking pot should have cooled down some by the time you pour out all the cooking water, and the noodles will still be plenty wet. Obviously you need to keep a watch on the noodles to make sure you're not overheating them. It takes very little time to evaporate the water on the noodles.

by Anonymousreply 190January 9, 2022 12:40 AM

Detergent pods should always be put into the washer drum, never in the detergent cup. It tells you clearly that on the packaging. And they should be put in first before you put the clothes in.

by Anonymousreply 191January 9, 2022 12:42 AM

Don't snap your spaghetti. You're killing Italians. My lifehack is put a spoon in your open sparkling wines and it'll keep bubbly in the fridge LOL

by Anonymousreply 192January 9, 2022 1:08 AM

Keep from forgetting your baby in the back seat of the car by leaving your phone on the seat next to him.

by Anonymousreply 193January 9, 2022 1:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194January 9, 2022 1:41 AM

[quote]Keep from forgetting your baby in the back seat of the car by leaving your phone on the seat next to him.

The state of American parenthood: they'll forget a baby, but NEVER forget their phone.

by Anonymousreply 195January 9, 2022 2:11 AM

[quote] expensive pre shave beard softeners...you'd pay $5.95 for.

Don't send this guy into Kiehl's

And I asked my husband who confirmed that our fitted sheets never sleep. He said we have a mattress pad which makes the mattress less shiny/slippery and maybe that's why but that he's never had a problem with it either.

Maybe just buy bigger (or smaller?) sheets

by Anonymousreply 196January 9, 2022 2:48 AM

Okay you bitches. I have this sweater (Ralph Lauren Pima cotton) that says hand wash only. I’ve never worn it much, and I’ve only occasionally given it a low heat tumble in the dryer to “freshen” it up. Now, I think it’s time to clean it. There is a small little smudgy spot on it. I have never hand washed a garment before. I’ve seen tutorials online, but they seem like a lot. It’s not like this is some super expensive sweater—should I just throw it in a delicate setting in the washing machine? I feel like the dry cleaners would screw it up. Any of you Susie Homemakers have any tips for hand washing?

by Anonymousreply 197January 9, 2022 2:58 AM

R197, I would just machine wash on the most delicate setting, unless you really like the sweater and plan to keep on hand-washing it.

Hand-washing: Fill up your bathroom sink with water and a little bit of soap. Massage it around once, drain. Refill with water and massage around some more. Drain.

You can either hand squeeze it out, gently. If you have a washing machine, you can put it in the spin cycle.

by Anonymousreply 198January 9, 2022 3:18 AM

Machine washing on cold/delicate should be fine, but maybe put it in a net bag so it doesn't get tossed around too much. You can dry it by starting out wrapping it in a clean towel. Lay it out in its proper shape, fold the towel around it, and roll it up. Step all over on it on the floor to squeeze out the excess water. Then lay out the sweater on a drying rack, again reshaping it if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 199January 9, 2022 3:36 AM

Type 5318008 into a calculator, turn it upside down and it spells out BOOBIES.

by Anonymousreply 200January 9, 2022 3:59 AM

Thanks r198 and r199!

by Anonymousreply 201January 9, 2022 4:04 AM

Pay attention to minor household issues before they snowball and become huge issues.

A tear in a lampshade. Towels with loose threads. Pint-sized harlots. Don't let them get out of hand!

by Anonymousreply 202January 9, 2022 4:12 AM

I have an adjustable bed, I put it on a slight incline and it makes putting the sheets on easier.

by Anonymousreply 203January 9, 2022 4:28 AM

[quote] Keep from forgetting your baby in the back seat of the car by leaving your phone on the seat next to him.

Did you get lost on your way to mommy.com?

Do you know where you are?

by Anonymousreply 204January 9, 2022 12:28 PM

Instead of buying toilet paper (AKA Bathroom Tissue) use 1-ply napkins. They flush as easily and can be used at the table.

by Anonymousreply 205January 9, 2022 12:49 PM

[quote]high fat shaving cream

I didn't know Shimmer made shaving cream!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206January 9, 2022 12:53 PM

R141 Your Registration should be in the glove box with proof of insurance.

by Anonymousreply 207January 9, 2022 1:02 PM

Why, R205? Toilet paper is cheaper than napkins.

by Anonymousreply 208January 9, 2022 1:44 PM

Be sure to produce more than one child, in case one of them goes missing. - Nothing compares to... oh, forget it.

by Anonymousreply 209January 9, 2022 1:47 PM

The left lane is for passing, not for hogging.

by Anonymousreply 210January 9, 2022 2:02 PM

R205 Only use one square inch of TP or napkins to wipe!

by Anonymousreply 211January 9, 2022 2:24 PM

Get on the property ladder as early in your career as possible. Then you won't have to worry about spending a little money on toilet paper etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 212January 9, 2022 2:31 PM

[quote] Spray your dry cum covered sheets with Shout prior to washing to remove all the cum stains.

Hmmm. Should I spray my husband's back before he showers?

by Anonymousreply 213January 9, 2022 6:38 PM

Sure it's dangerous and the neighbors sometimes complain about the loud hum, but my home food irradiation plant makes sure there are no flour weevils ever!

by Anonymousreply 214January 9, 2022 8:02 PM

DIY ‘Blood and Bone’ fertilizer works just as well as store bought and can be easily be made from home sourced ingredients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 9, 2022 8:11 PM

Cut cherry tomatoes easily by holding a serrated knife blade up and running the tomato along the blade while pinching the tomato between your thumb and forefinger. No more chasing rolling tomatoes around the cutting board (no cutting board cleanup either).

by Anonymousreply 216January 10, 2022 4:03 AM

As far as snow on the car, I have one of those triangle-shaped shade canopies, and I stretch it across the front windshield. It's easy to remove and makes it a snap to get the snow off the windsheld later. I could put one on the back it's much steeper and doesn't collect much snow. I use a broom to push snow off the hood and the top of the car. I park the car where the morning sun will hit it and that usualky takes care of most snow, frost or ice. We live in the high desert, but we do get 7 or 8 snows per year. We got 10 inches of snow this past December 14th. Now DRIVING on snow or ice... that's a whole 'nother matter.

by Anonymousreply 217January 10, 2022 4:14 AM

A stitch in time saves nine

by Anonymousreply 218January 10, 2022 4:17 AM

A little dab'll do ya

by Anonymousreply 219January 10, 2022 4:17 AM

Whenever cooking, always start off by filling one side of your sink opposite the garbage disposal with warm soapy water. Clean as you go constantly while cooking, so when you're all done you hardly have anything left to clean up afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 220January 10, 2022 5:01 AM

Sleep in a coffin. That way, if you die in your sleep, you will save on funeral expenses.

by Anonymousreply 221January 10, 2022 1:45 PM

Fitted sheets in the dryer tend to collect other items inside them and roll into a ball that just won't dry. So I take one of these plastic hanger clips and clip the four corners of the fitted sheet together so that other items can't be trapped inside the fitted sheet. Since starting to do this I have only had one small item get trapped inside the fitted sheet. Clothes pins or large safety pins might also work, but this is what I had on hand when I came up with the idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222January 10, 2022 1:59 PM

When traveling by car dress as if you will be outside. If your car breaks down in cold weather you need your coat!

by Anonymousreply 223January 10, 2022 2:02 PM

[quote] Cut cherry tomatoes easily by holding a serrated knife blade up and running the tomato along the blade...

Why would anyone want to cut cherry tomatoes? The whole point of their small size is you don't have to slice them.

by Anonymousreply 224January 10, 2022 2:07 PM

Place the cherry tomatoes between two plastic take-out container lids (facing rim to rim) and slice right through all them lil maters at once.

by Anonymousreply 225January 10, 2022 2:11 PM

R204, that was for Mr. Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 226January 10, 2022 2:22 PM

r19 or get snow tires....

by Anonymousreply 227January 10, 2022 2:48 PM

R225, I used to do that after Julia from America's Test Kitchen suggested it, and it's not a simple as you'd think to guide the knife smoothy between the lids. Plus you have to have a sufficient number of tomatoes in there to keep the lids from wobbling around - you have to adjust where you hold the lids mid-cut to avoid slicing your hand. And the tomatoes all have to be roughly the same size, (which of course they never are).

Try my suggestion, you may also never go back to the lids.

by Anonymousreply 228January 10, 2022 2:52 PM

Thank you, fitted sheet substitute advice givers! I despise folding fitted sheets, and I never have enough of them. And yet I have lots of flat sheets somehow. This has been an ongoing minor frustration throughout my life. And you have solved it. Excellent thread.

by Anonymousreply 229January 10, 2022 3:06 PM

Percentages work either way, so 8% of 25 has the same answer as 25% of 8. Just choose the one that's easiest to do in your head.

by Anonymousreply 230January 10, 2022 3:29 PM

Dippity-Do saved my marriage!

by Anonymousreply 231January 10, 2022 3:55 PM

Interesting, R230. That is good tip.

by Anonymousreply 232January 10, 2022 4:12 PM

Marry me r35.

by Anonymousreply 233January 10, 2022 4:26 PM

If you ever saw Summer Stock (1950), at the beginning, before leaving her bedroom, in the morning, Judy Garland turns down her bed covers and top sheet, and puts the pillows on the foot of the bed rather than making the bed. I remember my mom did something like this - she wouldn't make the beds until later in the day, and she would also shake out the sheets and reverse them, etc.

by Anonymousreply 234January 10, 2022 4:36 PM

[quote]Why would anyone want to cut cherry tomatoes? The whole point of their small size is you don't have to slice them.

Why would anyone want to eat them?

by Anonymousreply 235January 10, 2022 4:41 PM

I'm still shocked at the OP being too lazy to clean her car off when it snows so she goes through a ritual of bagging her car roof.

Laziness and OCD are a terrible combination.

by Anonymousreply 236January 10, 2022 4:42 PM

certainly the frozen layer is easy to get off, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 237January 10, 2022 4:50 PM

R236 It seems easier just to brush the snow off the car with a snow broom/rake (one of those rubber rectangles on a stick). If it's frozen, you just start the car earlier and put the defrosters on. The bags are not a bad idea but for me it would be impractical, somehow.

Incidentally my dad thought up and made one of those things out of rubber and wood, on a broomstick, 50 years ago, and didn't think to patent the idea. He even made a few for the neighbors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238January 10, 2022 4:56 PM

Even though calculators are common and almost everyone has one on their phone, do some arithmetic on paper once in a while to keep those skills fresh in your mind.

Also do simple geometry quizzes and puzzles, simple algebra puzzles and those "logic problems" where you arrive at an answer by deductions using clues.

Also do crossword puzzles to refresh your vocabulary. All of these puzzles can keep your skills sharp and help you deal with real-world situations more easily.

by Anonymousreply 239January 10, 2022 5:32 PM

r239 has a Reader's Digest subscription.

by Anonymousreply 240January 10, 2022 5:39 PM

I have tried turning on the defroster to get the windshield clear of frost or ice, and it eventually works, but it seems to take forever. I've had more success parking the car so that the windshield will be facing the sun when it comes up. The sun does the job in just a few minutes. If it's cloudy, of course, that's not an option.

by Anonymousreply 241January 10, 2022 5:40 PM

You and I think alike R222. That's because we were raised right.

by Anonymousreply 242January 10, 2022 5:45 PM

Have trouble opening some overtight jars? Don't buy one of those expensive jar opener thingies. Go to your auto parts store and buy yourself a cheap rubber strap oil filter wrench like the attached. It makes getting any size jar lid off a cinch. I found mine at Dollar Tree years ago and it still works a treat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 10, 2022 5:51 PM

Place a wooden spoon across the spaghetti pot when boiling pasta and the pasta won't foam up and boil over thus causing a disastrous mess on your harvest gold Tappan range.

by Anonymousreply 244January 10, 2022 5:51 PM

Keep a big spray bottle with 1 to 1 water & rubbing alcohol. If you get ice or snow on your car spray it down with the alcohol solution and watch it melt like crazy.

If you've washed some dishes in the sink and have a big mound of bubble foam left when you drain the water that same solution will make bubbles disappear in a split second.

by Anonymousreply 245January 10, 2022 5:59 PM

If you're bathtub's not deep enough for your liking, just flip around.

by Anonymousreply 246January 10, 2022 7:30 PM

This thread reminds me of reading Hints From Heloise in the paper (where vinegar and/or pantyhose apparently could solve nearly any household problem). Well done, DL! I'm putting a clothespin in my laundry basket for the next time I wash The Bane Of DL's Entire Existence: Fitted Sheets. Thanks for the tip, R222!

by Anonymousreply 247January 10, 2022 7:31 PM

shit, your^

by Anonymousreply 248January 10, 2022 7:31 PM

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

by Anonymousreply 249January 10, 2022 8:21 PM

[quote] Place a wooden spoon across the spaghetti pot when boiling pasta and the pasta won't foam up and boil over

I’ve read and heard of this, but I have no idea as to the reasoning behind it.

Why doesn’t it boil over because there’s a wooden spoon on top of it?

by Anonymousreply 250January 10, 2022 8:24 PM

R239 --? How are those things tips or life hacks?

by Anonymousreply 251January 10, 2022 8:24 PM

R250 It doesn't actually work

by Anonymousreply 252January 10, 2022 8:24 PM

Ahhh.

by Anonymousreply 253January 10, 2022 8:33 PM

It does work. It increases the surface area for the bubbles to pop on. Same thing works when you pour soda too fast and it bubbles up. Stick your fingers in the bubble to increase surface area and the pop foam will go down faster.

by Anonymousreply 254January 10, 2022 8:34 PM

R254 Ok, Mr. Science. It didn't work for me. It works to some extent but the pot still tends to bubble over.

by Anonymousreply 255January 10, 2022 8:37 PM

R256 I don't get it. Does your bathtub have a deep end?

by Anonymousreply 256January 10, 2022 8:39 PM

(I mean mine is probably an inch deeper on that end?)

by Anonymousreply 257January 10, 2022 8:41 PM

i think it's the oil on your finger and the spoon.

6th grade science teacher?

and coke does cook meat.

by Anonymousreply 258January 10, 2022 8:41 PM

[quote] and coke does cook meat.

But not it it’s laced with fentanyl.

by Anonymousreply 259January 10, 2022 8:47 PM

Here's an article on the spoon on boiling water trick.

[quote] The wooden spoon, with its rugged texture, has lots of surface area, explains Scott Beaver, who has a doctorate in chemical engineering and founded the online chemistry education website Learn With Dr. Scott. “That makes lots of opportunities for bubbles to start absorbing and wicking into the wood,” Beaver explains. “This stretches the bubble. The stretching force to pull the bubble apart becomes greater than the force of surface tension to hold the bubble together. So the bubble collapses.” When this happens over and over, the foam goes down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260January 10, 2022 8:48 PM

sick your oily finger in a fizzy drink!

by Anonymousreply 261January 10, 2022 8:51 PM

Reader's Digest doesn't have puzzles. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 262January 10, 2022 9:14 PM

nah...

by Anonymousreply 263January 10, 2022 9:14 PM

disposable shower curtains from the Dollar Store come in very handy. You can use them as a drop cloth when painting. I had a garage sale and ran out of tables, so I just unwrapped a few shower curtains and put the items on top of it. That way they weren't laying on the ground

If I have to clean up anything really dirty, I just put a shower curtain underneath it.

by Anonymousreply 264January 10, 2022 9:46 PM

[quote] That way they weren't laying on the ground

Lying.

by Anonymousreply 265January 10, 2022 9:48 PM

He is not!

by Anonymousreply 266January 10, 2022 9:50 PM

I keep a black spray bottle filled with 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% hydrogen peroxide in the shower, and use it to spray down the shower curtain liner after a shower. This helps keep buildup off the curtain liner.

The bottle is black because light will break down peroxide.

by Anonymousreply 267January 10, 2022 9:57 PM

Always such a lot of fuss about pasta on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 268January 10, 2022 10:12 PM

[quote] Reader's Digest doesn't have puzzles.

Hmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 10, 2022 10:13 PM

R266 you made me laugh out loud. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 270January 10, 2022 10:15 PM

I'm all for being clean and organized, but disposable shower curtains sound really bad for the environment. Yes, buy cheap ones, but don't throw them out after one use.

by Anonymousreply 271January 10, 2022 11:07 PM

[quote] Place a wooden spoon across the spaghetti pot when boiling pasta and the pasta won't foam up and boil over

[quote] It does work. It increases the surface area for the bubbles to pop on.

[quote] Same thing works when you pour soda too fast and it bubbles up. Stick your fingers in the bubble to increase surface area and the pop foam will go down faster.

If I stick my finger in to the boiling spaghetti pot will stop it from foaming up?

by Anonymousreply 272January 11, 2022 12:34 AM

[quote] but don't throw them out after one use.

Then what should be done with them?

by Anonymousreply 273January 11, 2022 12:40 AM

[R168] LMAO It's better than calling 9-1-1

My tip: did you shrink your woolen sweater?? Put it to soak with any kind of hair conditioner in the water. Rinse. Shape, then dry flat.

by Anonymousreply 274January 11, 2022 12:55 AM

r244, turn the stove down to medium high once you add pasta to boiling water and it will not boil over.

by Anonymousreply 275January 11, 2022 2:51 PM

With cherry tomatoes I take 2 round plastic lids that are deep enough to be about half the height of the tomatoes. I load a bunch of tomatoes in the lid, put the other lid on top and then just slice through the middle of the two lids. Perfectly sliced cherry tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 276January 11, 2022 4:59 PM

I got sick of hauling load after load of yard debris to the street for the county to pick up every few weeks. The work was back breaking. In the fall months I get tons of pine needles that fall in my back yard from 3 gigantic trees. Over the fall season it would take no less than 30 loads in my pull behind cart I connect to the lawn tractor. So, I ordered a 10/12' piece of heavy duty canvas from Home Depot. On one end I stapled the canvas to a 1x4 I had drilled two holes in about 4' apart from the middle. In those holes I inserted a 5' piece of nylon rope and tied knots on the ends. Now I can connect the canvas sled to the hitch on my lawn tractor and pull it all around the yard and put all the yard debris on it and drag it out to the street in 1 trip.

by Anonymousreply 277January 11, 2022 5:09 PM

I have that baby boa (strap) wrench posted above. I like to re-use jars, e.g., the Tostitos salsa jar is a really good storage container. You can get the lid off without damaging the lid (e.g., hitting it with a metal butter knife).

by Anonymousreply 278January 11, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote] I load a bunch of tomatoes in the lid, put the other lid on top and then just slice through the middle of the two lids.

Can’t you just smush the top lid down on the bottom one and have sauce?

by Anonymousreply 279January 11, 2022 5:22 PM

No wire hangers, EVER!!!!

by Anonymousreply 280January 11, 2022 5:26 PM

I actually like to slice through the "poles" of the fruits / veg (stem to bottom or across the equator). These "hacks" sound sort of random in how you're slicing these tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 281January 11, 2022 5:44 PM

You can buy bags of plastic drop cloths at Home Depot, really cheap. 9 ft by 12 ft - 6 for 10 or 11 bucks. I don't get using something else when there are things made for that purpose.

by Anonymousreply 282January 11, 2022 6:21 PM

Ladies : wiping back to front is the REASON you get a fishy smell.

by Anonymousreply 283January 11, 2022 6:52 PM

The word "hack" is like "joint" for film work.

It makes me hack up my lunch and wish I had a joint to forget it.

by Anonymousreply 284January 11, 2022 7:18 PM

R284 I know, hack drives me crazy as a term, where did it come from?

by Anonymousreply 285January 11, 2022 7:19 PM

[quote] Can’t you just smush the top lid down on the bottom one and have sauce?

I'm cutting them for salad, not sauce.

by Anonymousreply 286January 11, 2022 7:23 PM

Do you think your stomach knows the difference? Do you swallow them whole too?

by Anonymousreply 287January 11, 2022 7:31 PM

Be rich and pay people to take care of your problems for you.

by Anonymousreply 288January 11, 2022 7:31 PM

To make life much easier, ditch DIY projects in favor of PSE.

by Anonymousreply 289January 11, 2022 7:45 PM

R281, another good point and easily done with my method of running the tomato along the upturned knife blade.

R276 see RR228

by Anonymousreply 290January 11, 2022 8:14 PM

I think R264 knows other secrets... like where the bodies are buried.

Disposable shower curtain uses, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 291January 11, 2022 8:21 PM

You don’t know nuthin’, r291. You got that? Nuthin’!

by Anonymousreply 292January 11, 2022 8:37 PM

Do not use children as bartenders. It is unseemly and they use too much vermouth.

by Anonymousreply 293January 11, 2022 9:30 PM

If you need a hack to cut cherry tomatoes, you're eating too many cherry tomatoes. Cutting a pint of cherry tomatoes shouldn't take more than a minute.

by Anonymousreply 294January 11, 2022 9:53 PM

^^Gordon Ramsey.

by Anonymousreply 295January 11, 2022 9:55 PM

Yeah, I don't think I'd cut cherry tomatoes. They're mostly juice. Grape tomatoes, I do cut, though.

by Anonymousreply 296January 11, 2022 9:56 PM

Get a small twig

Chew on one end

Then brush it against the surface of your teeth

by Anonymousreply 297January 12, 2022 12:05 AM

I will not be shamed for my cherry tomato addiction. Regardless, my way of cutting them is easier.

by Anonymousreply 298January 12, 2022 1:58 AM

Apples are nature’s mouthwash.

by Anonymousreply 299January 12, 2022 2:13 AM

Watch out for wigs.

by Anonymousreply 300January 12, 2022 2:16 AM

I’d like to thank R46 for the creamed spinach “hack” (ugh). I just made it and it turned out delicious. I used regular Alouette spread, next time I’ll use light. Much easier than fussing with butter and cream and Parmesan or whatever. I did include some minced garlic.

Also thanks to whoever posted the Lumos/Nox trick, I’ve been delighting my friends with that one. You never know when you might be tied up in a trunk and need some light!

by Anonymousreply 301January 13, 2022 12:48 AM

When you run out of sugar, salt or flour... coke is a great substitute.

by Anonymousreply 302January 13, 2022 2:17 AM

R282 Disposable plastic is bad for the planet. You should use a reusable substitute whenever possible. Canvas is an excellent choice.

by Anonymousreply 303January 13, 2022 2:30 AM

[quote] Also thanks to whoever posted the Lumos/Nox trick,

+1.

I’ve been using it since I saw the tip. Makes it much easier in certain situations, so I thank you also.

by Anonymousreply 304January 13, 2022 1:00 PM

If your baby won't stop crying, but a used Target bag around it's head until he or she does.

by Anonymousreply 305January 13, 2022 8:58 PM

Is r277 a top?

by Anonymousreply 306January 13, 2022 9:00 PM

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

by Anonymousreply 307January 13, 2022 9:31 PM

That’s fucking hilarious, r307!

I scared my cat when I burst out laughing.

Good show, old man!

by Anonymousreply 308January 13, 2022 9:47 PM

Thank you R308.

by Anonymousreply 309January 13, 2022 9:56 PM

Are you new here, R306? R277 is the leziest lesbian who ever lezed.

by Anonymousreply 310January 14, 2022 12:39 AM

Could’ve been Che

by Anonymousreply 311January 14, 2022 12:58 AM

To extend shelf life, soak berries in 125 degree water for 30 seconds, drain and refrigerate. It will slow mold growth and make them last longer.

by Anonymousreply 312January 14, 2022 11:25 PM

I've heard of that, only the water has white vinegar added to it. Let them soak in it a few minutes, then drain. The berries don't retain any taste of vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 313January 15, 2022 12:35 PM

You NEVER drain your berries! NEVER!!

by Anonymousreply 314January 15, 2022 12:48 PM

This is a weird one, but sometimes you will buy a piece of clothing that itches for no reason, or has a fabric scent that doesn't totally go away with washing. I have found that putting said items out in very cold weather - below freezing - more or less eliminates these problems.

by Anonymousreply 315January 15, 2022 6:34 PM

For clear ice cubes, fill the tray with hot water, not room temperature.

by Anonymousreply 316January 15, 2022 6:38 PM

Thanks, Tony.

by Anonymousreply 317January 15, 2022 6:39 PM

If you see an item you're interested in buying on eBay, put it on your watchlist. Chances are the seller will contact you with a private offer at a lower price. They usually will negotiate if the offer is still too high for you.

by Anonymousreply 318January 15, 2022 7:56 PM

For the broken spaghetti posters, the best way to make spaghetti or any pasta is in the microwave using a Fasta Pasta cooker. Your spaghetti will turn out perfectly and it frees you up from watching a boiled pot so you can do other things while the pasta cooks.

by Anonymousreply 319January 15, 2022 8:29 PM

Clean your dishwasher every six months including the filters in the bottom. All it takes is time, baking soda, and vinegar. This video shows you how!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320January 16, 2022 1:24 AM

If unexpected guests stop by, pretend that you’re not home.

by Anonymousreply 321January 16, 2022 1:36 AM

[quote] To extend shelf life, soak berries in 125 degree water for 30 seconds, drain and refrigerate. It will slow mold growth and make them last longer.

Does that work with dingle-berries?

by Anonymousreply 322January 16, 2022 11:25 PM

Lightly crumple parchment paper before lining baking dishes or cookie sheets to prevent it from curling up.

by Anonymousreply 323January 17, 2022 12:35 AM

R323 ooh now that’s a deep cut tip

by Anonymousreply 324January 17, 2022 2:03 AM

R323 What's the difference if the parchment paper is lightly crumpled or curled up? Or do your baking dishes and cookie sheets curl up? I must be too thick to understand this tip.

by Anonymousreply 325January 17, 2022 9:54 PM

If they have hacks for baking, I think they may be the thick ones.

They like brownies.

by Anonymousreply 326January 17, 2022 10:46 PM

Indoor wintertime air extremely dry?

Buy a folding clothes rack and wash some laundry.

Place the rack in your bedroom or elsewhere where the evaporating moisture will do the most good.

Poor man's humidifier and it WORKS!

by Anonymousreply 327January 17, 2022 10:56 PM

^^ or just crack a window.

by Anonymousreply 328January 18, 2022 12:12 AM

The outdoor air is often even drier than inside!

by Anonymousreply 329January 18, 2022 12:26 AM

R254 = bean flicker

by Anonymousreply 330January 18, 2022 12:33 AM

When speaking to a group, into a microphone, or on a Zoom chat take the fucking gum out of your mouth! You don't need a few chews between thoughts and we can all see and hear it in your mouth. I'm always surprised how little home training the average savage received from their parents!

by Anonymousreply 331January 18, 2022 6:04 AM

[quote] or just crack a window.

I did that once. Boy, was my husband pissed.

Turns out it’s very expensive to replace.

by Anonymousreply 332January 18, 2022 1:44 PM

Here is an actual tip. If you use a razer ( 3, 4, 5 blades) after you rinse it, dry it off and store the head in a small glass of mineral oil. It will extend the sharpness of the blades to months. The blades don't dull, they rust. The mineral oil stops the rusting. The downside is if you have one with a bunch of shit on it (like lube strips or rubber around the razer, the oil will ruin it but the razer works just fine).

by Anonymousreply 333January 18, 2022 2:42 PM

Learn to spell, r333

by Anonymousreply 334January 18, 2022 7:13 PM

[quote] Here is an actual tip.

I have another one. Those little red squiggly lines under certain words are not for emphasis.

by Anonymousreply 335January 18, 2022 8:22 PM

R168, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm absolutely guilty of doing this. In my defense though, it wasn't do to alcohol. During the winter months where I live (in the northeast) it's dark in the morning as well as getting dark early in the evening. 6am looks like 6pm. I've jumped out of bed in a panic thinking I needed to be at work only to realize it was 6pm.

by Anonymousreply 336January 18, 2022 8:45 PM

[quote] it wasn't do to alcohol.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 337January 18, 2022 9:04 PM

Toothpaste (not gel) will remove scuff marks from your floor.

by Anonymousreply 338January 18, 2022 9:36 PM

R337, unlike your sad ass defacto.

by Anonymousreply 339January 18, 2022 10:30 PM

R168 R336 I thought I was the only one who panicked at waking with no sense of day or night.

by Anonymousreply 340January 18, 2022 10:31 PM

R339, you think I’m de facto?

Are you high?

I’ve been here under the same name and same shit for years.

FOH.

by Anonymousreply 341January 18, 2022 11:16 PM

fuc u icon spel

by Anonymousreply 342January 18, 2022 11:36 PM

Keep track of when you're water heater was installed and replace it before it is too late.

by Anonymousreply 343January 19, 2022 6:22 PM

The easiest way to extend the life of berries is to just FREEZE them. Why bother with soaking them at a certain temperature, or soaking them in vinegar? It's not an actual hack if it requires more work.

by Anonymousreply 344January 19, 2022 6:32 PM

[quote] Keep track of when you're water heater was installed

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 345January 19, 2022 7:55 PM

When cooking tomato sauce, sprinkle some baking soda on the surface, it cuts acidity immediately.

by Anonymousreply 346January 19, 2022 8:08 PM

Ooooh, that’s interesting.

Do you stir it in, or…?

by Anonymousreply 347January 19, 2022 8:41 PM

R343: Your advice is especially sage when your water heater is in your attic.

You will want to replace it before it fails creating a terrible mess below it.

by Anonymousreply 348January 19, 2022 8:45 PM

Could I get a tip re how to tell the top from the bottom of my a) iPhone and b) Apple TV remote?

by Anonymousreply 349January 19, 2022 8:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!