Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Search Party: Final Season 5 HBOMax

They’re back for the last time, the egomaniacal New Yorkers are out of control as always and going on one last romp being the awfullest people on the planet. John Early is doing a master class as bitchy entitled Queen manipulating his ex boyfriend and entering fatherhood with him by getting a bioengineered child from John Waters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2022 12:36 AM

I haven't even heard of it. Sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1January 7, 2022 12:51 PM

Jeez, another show I've never heard of, in its umpteenth season. So many shows!

by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2022 12:52 PM

This final season snuck up on me but I can’t wait to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2022 12:55 PM

I have heard of none of these shows.

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2022 12:58 PM

Yas Kween - season eight, becomes a drama!

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2022 12:59 PM

She doesn't look like Kate Hudson any more.

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2022 1:24 PM

Is DL fave Jeff Self still in it?

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2022 1:24 PM

This snuck up on me too but I'm so excited. Such a great show, impossible to pin down.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2022 1:27 PM

Snuck is not a word.

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2022 1:27 PM

I never went past season 2.

I liked it a lot up until that point, but I couldn't imagine going any further with those people.

The main character was [italic]really[/italic] annoying.

And I don't mean that in a Ricky Gervais, Larry Sanders, Larry David, Frasier Crane, Selina Meyer sort of way because those "unlikeable" characters were in situations that wre wicked funny.

In contrast, Dory was irritating as shit, and there was nothing beyond that.

And John Reynolds may have been cute as the boyfriend, but he was a worm of a guy.

But to go to Season 5?

Oy!

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2022 1:35 PM

I hadn't heard of it before this year, either. I binged it during lockdown when it popped up on HBO Max. The first two seasons were hilarious and I can't say enough about the black girl who played Dory's (Alia Shawkat) lawyer. I laughed so hard during the trial scenes. Early is fantastic, but I ended up really enjoying Meredith Hagner as Portia, the actress. She had a sweet vulnerability to her that the show really needed. Definitely recommend it!

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2022 1:37 PM

The first season was cute. The second season was dumb. The third season was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2022 1:40 PM

R11 The Black woman who played the lawyer also showed up on the latest season of “You” as the neighborhood Queen Bee influencer and she was just as good there, her performance was not a fluke, she has a phenomenal deadpan ability.

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2022 2:44 PM

Good lord, how did we get from the first season and its plot to this last season where she's a cult leader/guru or some sort?

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2022 2:58 PM

I tried watching the first season, but it seemed so boring that I gave up. Is it worth a mid-winter binge with a bag of chips and a pitcher of hot buttered rum?

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2022 3:01 PM

Let’s just say the ending genre is definitely a far left twist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2022 5:42 AM

[quote]Is DL fave Jeff Self still in it?

Yes, and his husband Augustus Prew makes a brief appearance in the last episode.

This season took an insane turn and I half expected that it was all a dream. But no.

It wasn't my favorite season (it's a tie between S3 and S4) but I can say this season wasn't boring.

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2022 5:46 AM

I’m the only one i know who watches it but I LOVE IT! Thanks, OP for the thread. I didn’t even know it was coming up! Now I can start bingeing immediately. I have to say that I just adore the character of Portia (most of the time) & Meredith Hangar is just so quirky & cute in the role. The show has a phenomenal cast!!! Christines Taylor & Ebersole, J. Smith-Cameron, Judy Reyes (SO GOOD), Jay Duplass, Rosie Perez, Chloe Fineman….plus the main cast. It’s one of my favorite shows from the 21st C.

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2022 5:57 AM

I want to marry John Reynolds (Drew).

I agree with r17 - it wasn’t my favorite season either, but it was entertaining and I laughed out loud many times. I loved the subplot with Lou Diamond Phillips!

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2022 8:52 AM

I just finished the first season. I kinda wanted to punch every character. Repeatedly. I laughed A LOT tho.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2022 9:42 AM

Finished the final season this morning. Would have never thought THAT was the way this would end.

And Kathy Griffin!

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2022 12:45 PM

Dr. Carpet. LMAO.

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2022 11:43 PM

I think Mark is hot. Eliott not so much.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2022 12:21 AM

John Early was cute when he was younger (and thinner).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2022 12:37 AM

Jennifer Gardner is not a person

by Anonymousreply 25January 9, 2022 1:30 AM

The adopted son was effectively creepy! I wish they had done more with that storyline.

by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2022 1:32 AM

R24 I thought John looked considerably thinner this season.

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2022 2:31 AM

John Early has a FUCKING hilarious sketch in that Netflix show "The Characters." But I fell in love with him from his appearances on "At home with Amy Sedaris."

I mean...he would hit a home run and then leave, but I wanted MOAR. Escola is hilarious too.

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2022 9:51 AM

I really enjoyed this last season. It was a lot of fun. I think I’m going to miss these characters a bit. I loved Portia and Elliot.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2022 5:46 PM

What a wild last season. Wow. This show is a low key classic.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2022 2:58 AM

I was late to the game and only started watching it about a month ago. It took a while for the main character to grow on me but now I love it. Sad to see it end.

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2022 3:12 AM

So good, so funny.

Very talented cast sending up the people we despise.

No love for Chantal?????

Yes, of course, I want to take her upside the head with a 2x4 repeatedly, but the actress playing her is exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2022 7:43 PM

Viva Showalter!

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2022 8:07 PM

Is it worth it going on?

I am on Season 3 and it makes no sense.

The trial was in the US, for a murder that took place in Canada.

Drew seems to have forgotten that he himself was the killer, not Dorry.

Is the plot going to get even more nonsensical as it goes along?

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2022 6:33 PM

Jumped and fucked the shark with the zombie bullshit. Awful show.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2022 6:43 PM

Love this show, dropped plots and all. Nothing about April and the phone with the senator's pics on it. I wanted more of Christine Ebersold. Portia is married to Kurt and Goldie's son which is funny because she reminds me so much of Goldie Hawn at times

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2022 7:52 PM

What happened with casting in Season 5? All the supporting actors completely suck.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 2:07 AM

R37 Really just those followers, and apparently Jimmy Fowlie knew something bad was up with that because he got out quick, and I don’t think that was an originally scripted exit on his behalf.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 2:09 AM

I was intrigued with the show in the beginning, and it had it's moments along the way, but, dear god, what a shit show of a season.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 2:14 AM

I just went with it and found it an enjoyable mess.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 2:18 AM

I immediately devoured the first 4 seasons and have treated the last one like some vintage wine I'm afraid to drink.

I honestly believe Search Party is one of those shows whose quality depends in the generation in which you were born. Take for instance MASH. It's widely considered one of the best shows ever made, and the finale remains one of the most-watched TV programs of all time. My parents (Baby Boomers) loved it, but I absolutely hated it. None of the jokes registered with me and I found the few episodes I did watch unbelievably boring.

However, as a Millennial, I love Search Party. It completely savages our generation in a clever way. Feeling pressure to create meanining out of our mundane lives. Refusing to take responsibility for our behavior, while being shocked when we're held accountable. Gravitating toward situations where we can find validation, regardless of how harmful they might be. Ignoring what we have , because something better might be around the corner.

Despite the massive plot holes and the main characters' reprehensible behavior, I've always viewed the show as a satire...so I'm surprised when people point out how little it makes sense. Still, I recognize how nearly unwatchable the show can be for those who find the characters and situations way too absurd.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 2:43 AM

Search Party was great for the first three seasons, because it was grounded in reality (even if it fudged things like trying the murder in an American court).

Once a script starts depending on a character's incredible wealth or infinate resource for the plot to happen--you are in trouble. Season 4 barely hung on but Shawkat's performance held it together.

Season 5 had a stupid story. It flattened the characters so even Dory became uninteresting. Now everyone had infinite resources so no one had the obstacles that make for a real story. After treading water, we have a zombie-fest finale,. Why? Maybe there was a reason for someone to create a race of zombies, but I was so tuned out during the last season that I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 10:40 PM

I want John Reynolds deep inside me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2022 12:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!