Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This Is Us: Final Season

They’re back to spin their emotional wheels for one more season. Has weepy melodrama ever been this overwrought? Who will survive season five, I’m kind of hoping for a blood bath myself. And finally, the word is caboose! CABOOSE, I tell you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181May 28, 2022 10:49 PM

Who or what, precisely, is us?

by Anonymousreply 1January 7, 2022 2:48 AM

Us is the family you make when you invite the abandoned drug addled Black baby into the family to replace the third triplet that died in childbirth. R1

by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2022 2:53 AM

I lived in Pittsburgh a few times in my life, but I don’t recall any type of commuting by trains into the city for work by suburban dads in the 70s/80s? That looked much more like Main Line instead of Pittsburgh, and it was especially weird for them to be going in on a Saturday by train, even if one commutes during the week, parking is plentiful on a weekend and usually the schedule of commuter trains is highly curtailed on weekends.

by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2022 2:59 AM

I can't wait for the reboot, "This Am They," with a yet-more-diverse cast and set of characters.

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2022 3:00 AM

[quote] I can't wait for the reboot, "This Am They," with a yet-more-diverse cast and set of characters.

This is Usish.

Or, the Lizsha version, Thish ish Ush.

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2022 3:03 AM

Exactly, R3. There's no such commuter train in Pittsburgh. I was wondering if Rebecca had grown up near NY or Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2022 3:54 AM

I’ve never seen this show but the commercials look dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2022 4:01 AM

they sit around and talk about how unhappy they are and the dead dad all the time

Please.

I don't need to watch that show. It's my life.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2022 5:02 AM

What’s up with the actor who plays Deja’s boyfriend, he has the strangest shaped head and features. It must be some kind of condition, but I don’t know what would cause that?

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2022 7:57 AM

Perhaps from Deja’s view he is gorgeous time and again.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2022 8:33 AM

R9 I am with you. I find it so distracting.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2022 1:17 PM

Did that whale of an actress lose any weight as was required when she took the roll (role lol) or did they ease off the blimp and let her stay large and in charge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2022 2:12 PM

Every scene of this show comes across as the cast and crew screaming "Isn't this so sad?! Are you crying yet?!"

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2022 2:26 PM

This show will lose all credibility if the Chrissy character doesn’t die of a massive coronary, preferably in the middle of a busy street intersection with just the blind child for maximum devastation.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2022 2:50 PM

Is it maybe Marfa syndrome? R11

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2022 2:52 PM

^^^ Marfan

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2022 2:54 PM

^^^^Martian?

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 1:33 AM

I've loved this show from the beginning. The acting and writing are top notch. Chrissy Metz is, literally, bigger than ever, which doesn't seem possible. The actor who plays Deja's boyfriend is unusual looking and little but still attractive. She is very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 1:43 AM

I hope Kevin falls in love with the new Manny, he’s very hot, and comes out this season. It’s not like the actor hadn’t played gay before.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 7:12 AM

So, is Cameron Mannheim Jack’s sister or aunt? At least it gives genetic insight into Kate.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 7:35 AM

Randall has an unnatural relationship with Malik, it would be interesting if they fell in love and ran off together in the end.

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2022 8:01 PM

I really didn't understand the point of last weeks episode about Jack's mom dying. His mom is dead and he is dead, what is the point in going back and looking at that.

To me the only possible point to that was if they kill off the Mandy Moore character in the final episode and then Kevin, Randall and Kate can reflect about losing their mom, which will be just as dull as this episode was.

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2022 10:57 PM

The point of it, R22, was so that Milo could have "his" episode this season. They all get one. It was good as well.

Tonight's episode with Kate and Rebecca was good. The scene with Kevin and the non-girlfriend at the ice cream shop was well written.

Since Kate has never appeared in any of the flash forwards to the end, I'm wondering if she is going to die before then. God knows it would make sense.

by Anonymousreply 23February 3, 2022 2:52 AM

R23 Have they shown scenes in the room with Rebecca yet? Maybe Kate has been bedside the whole time?

by Anonymousreply 24February 3, 2022 2:55 AM

Yes, we have seen one and it is Nicky or Miguel sitting with her.

by Anonymousreply 25February 3, 2022 3:00 AM

To be fair, though, they haven't shown us the flash-forward kitchen, which is the most likely place for her, so...

by Anonymousreply 26February 3, 2022 3:01 AM

I’ve never seen this show but I’ve sold them many items from my vintage shop including that sweater Mandy’s wearing.

by Anonymousreply 27February 3, 2022 3:08 AM

[quote] I’ve never seen this show but I’ve sold them many items from my vintage shop including that sweater Mandy’s wearing.

Have you sold them a tent that Chrissy's wearing?

by Anonymousreply 28February 3, 2022 3:10 AM

Wait, posters here actually watch this show? I loathe family melodramas. Is it at least unintentionally funny?

by Anonymousreply 29February 3, 2022 3:21 AM

Sada Thompson should come back from the dead and play somebody else's mother.

by Anonymousreply 30February 3, 2022 3:28 AM

I can’t believe that Chrissy not only didn’t lose weight, but actually got bigger. How is that possible?

It’s a frau life, for us….

by Anonymousreply 31February 3, 2022 3:35 AM

Before landing her famous role in This Is Us, Chrissy Metz lost a whopping 50 pounds on the advice of her then-agent, only to gain 100 pounds back. Chrissy said she was depressed and felt like she was “eating my feelings,” which meant she was enslaved by emotional eating.

by Anonymousreply 32February 3, 2022 3:41 AM

I wonder if in the last episode Rebecca will request euthanasia and gather the family together for the final goodbye? I believe this will be 2032

by Anonymousreply 33February 3, 2022 3:41 AM

Milo Ventimiglia did the talk show circuit again. Gawd he must be in the top 5 most boring but most hot men in show business. He's nice, but BLAND.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 3, 2022 3:48 AM

The show will end when a fart Kate released in Season 1 finally bubbles to the surface.

by Anonymousreply 35February 3, 2022 3:48 AM

But that ass. He is blessed.

by Anonymousreply 36February 3, 2022 3:49 AM

It’s kind of weird they insinuated that Toby seriously harmed Jack, and possibly with the meat smoker leading to the parents divorce and are using that as a cliffhanger to keep people watching. They should have had that storyline followed up the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 37February 3, 2022 3:51 AM

Good episode so far tonight. I hope that Susan Kelechi Watson has a career after this. She was also very good in the Mr. Rogers movie.

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2022 1:47 AM

Still unanswered during the entirety of this series: who or what, precisely, is us?

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2022 2:12 AM

[quote] Still unanswered during the entirety of this series: who or what, precisely, is us?

Hausfrauen like Chrissy who weigh more than three hundred pounds.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2022 2:29 AM

Chrissy is going to have her own clothing line and boutiques for biggun fraus called “This Is Plus”.

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2022 3:07 AM

The mother on this show annoys the crap out of me.

by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2022 5:37 AM

This is We

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2022 6:31 AM

The scene last night with Rebecca talking to the three kids at the table was fantastic. All three actors who play the kids were wonderful portraying their emotions with only their faces and no dialogue at all. The last 10 episodes are going to be heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2022 4:18 PM

I only watched in the beginning to drool over Milo Ventimiglia. The show was just too sappy for me to continue watching and I was done after season one.

by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2022 4:29 PM

[quote] Wait, posters here actually watch this show? I loathe family melodramas. Is it at least unintentionally funny?

I watch for Milo Ventimiglia, Justin Hartley and Logan Shroyer who plays the younger Kevin. Without them I wouldn't be watching. I tend to hate shows that do flashbacks and most of this show is flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2022 4:32 PM

Do you Rebecca will opt to end her life with medical assistance?

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2022 11:44 PM

The last two episodes have been very good. It's heartbreaking watching Rebecca deal with dementia. I didn't think this week's episode about Kevin and the night before the wedding would be good, but it was great. Justin Hartley is very good on this show and his chemistry with the actress playing Sophie is palpable.

by Anonymousreply 48April 27, 2022 3:30 PM

I’m so happy Miguel is getting his own episode. He deserves it but since he hasn’t showed up in the future scenes when everyone’s gathering for Rebecca’s transition, I’m afraid he’s going to pre-decease his wife.

by Anonymousreply 49April 27, 2022 4:41 PM

Why have we not seen Kate in the future scenes where Rebecca’s dying? That worries me.

by Anonymousreply 50May 11, 2022 4:08 AM

I thought so too, originally, but then we saw Kate and Phillip years from now with grown up Jack so she obviously doesn't die of the heart attack that would make the most sense.

The previews to next week's penultimate episode were devastating...and it was just a short preview!

by Anonymousreply 51May 11, 2022 8:02 PM

SPOILERS

The final episode ends tragically but truthfully, with the Chrissy character eating her siblings.

by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2022 8:05 PM

Not all huge people die because of their weight.

by Anonymousreply 53May 11, 2022 8:24 PM

This show is a frau fest. I tried watching past season one and only got about a quarter of he way through that second season. Too syrupy.

by Anonymousreply 54May 11, 2022 8:30 PM

The Big Three are going to smother Mandy Moore with a pillow aren’t they?

by Anonymousreply 55May 12, 2022 10:16 PM

I have never once watched a single second of this show. I’m proud of this.

by Anonymousreply 56May 12, 2022 10:19 PM

^ me neither. Does it have any gay? Does anyone show hole (preferably not Chrissy)?

by Anonymousreply 57May 12, 2022 10:41 PM

You shouldn't be proud of it, R56. It's an incredibly well-done show. The writing has been universally excellent, and the acting is top notch and it it has a very big cast because of all of the time jumping. There are at least four different sets of the kid characters at the different ages.

by Anonymousreply 58May 13, 2022 12:49 AM

Wow. Great episode. One more to go.

by Anonymousreply 59May 18, 2022 2:45 AM

I am forced to watch this against my will by my partner but I have to say Mandy Moore is a damn good actor imo.

by Anonymousreply 60May 18, 2022 2:52 AM

I was hoping the Kate character would already be dead, since she wasn't seen in the previews - but NO SUCH LUCK.

Treacle. ABSOLUTE TREACLE, all of it.

But I did like seeing Gerald MacRaney's cameo.

by Anonymousreply 61May 18, 2022 3:00 AM

[quote]I have to say Mandy Moore is a damn good actor imo.

I thought she looked gorgeous in that red dress, too.

by Anonymousreply 62May 18, 2022 3:02 AM

Mandy Moore has been surprisingly fantastic all season. I didn't think she had it in her.

by Anonymousreply 63May 18, 2022 3:15 AM

What is Kevin’s skin color?

by Anonymousreply 64May 18, 2022 3:18 AM

I hate to give any network show props in this day and age, but this show is terrific. It’s kind of a remarkable achievement actually, because basic network tv is such a wasteland of garbage and remakes and a million CSI/NCIS/FBI etc garbage and reality shows now. It’s like a unicorn of quality.

by Anonymousreply 65May 18, 2022 5:35 AM

[quote]Justin Hartley is very good on this show and his chemistry with the actress playing Sophie is palpable.

Agreed. They're fantastic together.

[quote]Mandy Moore has been surprisingly fantastic all season. I didn't think she had it in her.

Agreed again -- I'm always amazed at how easily I believe "old Rebecca" is actually much older than her adult children, even though the actors (Moore et al.) are all roughly the same age.

The show has always been great, for all the reasons cited in this thread, but it's knocking it outta the park this season. I fully expect to be a sobbing mess when Rebecca dies and, presumably, Jack comes to take her "home." (I know, I know... MARY!)

by Anonymousreply 66May 18, 2022 8:54 PM

[quote]it's knocking it outta the park this season.

Yes, It definitely deserves an Emmy nod.

by Anonymousreply 67May 19, 2022 1:01 AM

Miguel was slighted only getting a minute on her train ride.

by Anonymousreply 68May 19, 2022 2:05 AM

Mandy Moore should win the Emmy this year

by Anonymousreply 69May 19, 2022 2:07 AM

R68, it's because it was HER fantasy. In Miguel's death fantasy, I'm sure he and Rebecca ended up together. Everybody's death fantasy is based on their own personal perspective.

by Anonymousreply 70May 19, 2022 2:26 AM

Still it's kind of sad how Miguel was there for her at her worst but it's always about Saint Jack.

by Anonymousreply 71May 19, 2022 2:32 AM

Even from death, Jack broke up Kate's marriage with Toby.

by Anonymousreply 72May 19, 2022 2:34 AM

Just finished the train episode. So good! And the warm, rich lighting/makeup/wardrobe for young Rebecca was very smart, contrasting the muted, ashen palette of her older self and the death bed. I will admit to crying several times in this episode. (MARY!)

That said, I did think the Marcus Brooks storyline (who IS he? HOW is he connected to the Pearsons?! etc.) was unnecessary and a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 73May 20, 2022 7:21 PM

*during this episode

by Anonymousreply 74May 20, 2022 7:21 PM

Well for those knowledgeable about Pittsburgh and the fact that there’s no train commuting culture from the suburbs such as places like Philly and NYC, we finally got the reason they shoehorned the storyline earlier in the season about Rebecca taking the train in with her father to work. It was all to have this metaphor of death as train ride and her seeing all her loved ones as she moved car by car. I guess you just can’t do that on an incline.

by Anonymousreply 75May 20, 2022 7:33 PM

R73, Marcus was the young boy the doctor was tending to when Jack had his fatal heart attack. Marcus went on to become a researcher who, presumably, developed a treatment for Alzheimer's, the disease which killed Rebecca. There is speculation as to whether or not Rebecca was in the trial that may have involved the drug.

Ultimately, at the end of that episode, was another "Big 3;" Marcus, his brother, and his sister. Two boys and one girl. Just like the Pearsons.

And yes, I have watched the entire season. I will probably be a basket case next week for the series finale. It was a really well done TV show. Thankfully, one that didn't overstay its welcome and didn't resort to ridiculous plot twists.

by Anonymousreply 76May 20, 2022 8:50 PM

R76 So you don’t see nonexistent commuter trains into Pittsburgh as a ridiculous plot twist?

by Anonymousreply 77May 20, 2022 9:01 PM

No, R77. No one gives a rat's ass whether or not there are really commuter trains out of Pittsburgh or not.

by Anonymousreply 78May 20, 2022 10:40 PM

r76 Cosmo, who got Deja pregnant? I thought it was Marcus. I didn't notice Malik in the episode.

r77 I give a fuck about a nonexistent commuter train in Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 79May 20, 2022 10:50 PM

At least if she was on the incline we would know for sure she was headed to heaven, and Jennifer Beals could have been her conductor. She could still be headed to hell on the train for all we know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 21, 2022 12:36 AM

Yes, R79, Malik was in the episode and is the father of the baby. The grown-up actor didn't look that much like teenage Malik so they did a quick camera cut to the past to make sure people knew they were the same. And he said that he had been in love with her since she was 16.

by Anonymousreply 81May 21, 2022 12:38 AM

Why was Rebecca’s tracing with Miguel so brief? That didn’t seem right.

by Anonymousreply 82May 21, 2022 12:43 AM

Miguel never rated.

by Anonymousreply 83May 21, 2022 12:56 AM

r83, He rated enough to get his own critically acclaimed episode asshole.

by Anonymousreply 84May 21, 2022 1:04 AM

Mandy Moore is actually younger than the Big 3.

Sterling is 46

Justin is 45

Chrissy is 41

Mandy is 38

by Anonymousreply 85May 21, 2022 1:12 AM

Thanks, R76 -- I totally understood who Marcus was (the boy in the accident who grew up to be the researcher) and the link to Alzheimer's, but I just thought that whole narrative tangent needlessly took away from the rest of the episode. It didn't really add anything to the Pearsons' story.

by Anonymousreply 86May 21, 2022 1:13 AM

So Jack died so Marcus could live, but he didn’t find a treatment to save Rebecca in time anyways?

by Anonymousreply 87May 21, 2022 1:19 AM

So, are we supposed to believe a fine, fine looking man like Jack never cheated? Where is the unknown step sibling storyline , are they going to drop that bombshell at Rebecca’s funeral?

by Anonymousreply 88May 21, 2022 1:21 AM

Ugh. Believe it or not there are people who don’t cheat.

by Anonymousreply 89May 21, 2022 1:25 AM

I always found it odd that Bio twins Kate and Kevin where such total physical opposites. I love to hate watch this show.

by Anonymousreply 90May 21, 2022 2:08 AM

Twins don’t always come out alike. Fraternal twins, especially a boy and girl, aren’t gonna come out alike.

by Anonymousreply 91May 21, 2022 2:18 AM

Lol, I’m OP and just reread the original posting and I totally forgot about the whole “Caboose” thing and how it wraps up the whole narrative. I’m glad I included it in my post, I would never have remembered it otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 92May 21, 2022 2:35 AM

Okay, who the fuck was in that photo during that mid-credits scene.

by Anonymousreply 93May 21, 2022 3:46 AM

It’s going turn out that Jack didn’t die, but faked his earth to get away from the insufferable Big Three who he had hell of enough of and lived a secret life as an off shore fisherman in the Keys with hot twinky lover ironically named Miguel.

by Anonymousreply 94May 21, 2022 3:58 AM

Miguel seemed like an afterthought on the train. Poor Miguel. Always the ugly stepsister.

by Anonymousreply 95May 21, 2022 4:05 AM

I started watching the show about a year after it premiered, at the advice of my frau sis, & quickly got hooked (LOVE Mandy Moore). I felt the first couple seasons were a bit contrived & manipulative (remember when the Twitter blurb would appear about 5 mins before the end of each ep—here’s the crying moment, go tweet it!)

I was an emotional mess at this next-to-last episode, I cried every time they showed Mandy on the train. I haven’t cried that much for a Tv ep since Candy’s death in Pose.

I can’t imagine the final episode topping this one. Yes, it’ll be poignant, but Mandy really sold this one.

by Anonymousreply 96May 21, 2022 5:27 AM

R96 you sound like an emotional mess and you try peddling shows/networks on here you know most of DL doesn’t watch.

by Anonymousreply 97May 21, 2022 12:58 PM

R77, Rebecca didn't grow up in Pittsburgh. In an earlier episode, as a child, she had a memory of taking the train into the city with her father. I don't remember where she grew up but her parents had money. For some reason, I'm thinking they were from Philadelphia but I could be wrong.

The train wasn't real. It was symbolic to her life and memories. Miguel was a short part of her life, in her mind. It's entirely possible that she was married to him longer than she was married to Jack but Jack was the love of her life and responsible for the life she led. Also, due to her Alzheimer's, it possible that, towards the end, she barely remembered him. Alzheimer's tends to affect the recent memory.

It wasn't a case of "Jack died so Marcus could live." It was about Jack being in the hospital, meeting Marcus' father, and passing on the "when life gives you lemon" speech. Besides, if Marcus did develop some type of treatment for Alzheimer's, it could have far-reaching implications for 2 of the Big 3 since Alzheimer's can be hereditary.

by Anonymousreply 98May 23, 2022 12:17 PM

R98 thank you for understanding that the train was symbolic and not literal. I’m shocked so many don’t understand it. The train was moving fast aka her memories/brain was being wiped out. When she got to the end was because she was at the end of her life, and Kate appears to her for seconds as a little girl only because that is all she remembers Kate as at that point. She saw Randall and Kevin at all their stages earlier. At the end, as they’re speaking to her she no longer sees them at all but she briefly sees Kate as a small child. And then that disappears too.

As Beth is speaking to her, Beth appears to her as an adult and then a teen and then glitches back to an adult. The Alzheimer’s was erasing everything.

When she sees Jack and says “hey” is the moment she fully died.

As for Miguel, he appeared to her how she knew him when he was Jacks best friend. Everything about them had wiped away from her brain already, and her last memories of him were when he was Jacks friend, which is why younger Miguel appears to her, not older Miguel, and why she was so confused when he was saying the things he was to her and it’s all so brief.

by Anonymousreply 99May 23, 2022 1:09 PM

PS the Miguel episode was heartbreaking, beautifully written and beautifully acted. I am so happy they gave his character a proper and touching farewell.

by Anonymousreply 100May 23, 2022 1:59 PM

Miguel, and the actor who plays him, was the underrated MVP of the show.

by Anonymousreply 101May 23, 2022 7:44 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 102May 23, 2022 7:53 PM

A plane goes down right into the house while they are all there, wiping out the whole family.

by Anonymousreply 103May 24, 2022 1:49 AM

R103 that would be quite the ending. The end to all Pearson’s.

by Anonymousreply 104May 24, 2022 1:50 AM

What does Pearson possess?

by Anonymousreply 105May 24, 2022 1:54 AM

[quote] A plane goes down right into the house while they are all there

Chrissy Metz’s bulk can shield the rest of the family from the impact.

by Anonymousreply 106May 24, 2022 1:55 AM

I'll ask one more time: what, precisely, is us?

by Anonymousreply 107May 24, 2022 2:20 AM

R107 This. This is us.

by Anonymousreply 108May 24, 2022 2:23 AM

Thank you, R108.

by Anonymousreply 109May 24, 2022 2:24 AM

[quote] The end to all Pearson’s.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 110May 24, 2022 12:25 PM

Will tonight's episode be another emotional gut-punch or a sweet and satisfying goodbye?

Or both?

by Anonymousreply 111May 24, 2022 8:11 PM

R111 probably both.

I feel the Big 3 are gonna have a nice closing together, just them.

by Anonymousreply 112May 24, 2022 8:15 PM

I would like to bury my face in Jack's ass

by Anonymousreply 113May 24, 2022 8:25 PM

Join the club r113

by Anonymousreply 114May 24, 2022 8:28 PM

Also, many scenes were shot years ago. We will see what was used, but they shot many scenes for the finale 4 years ago so they could use the OG child actors etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 24, 2022 8:31 PM

The end is nigh!

by Anonymousreply 116May 24, 2022 9:16 PM

Looking forward to the revival series, "That Was Them," on Peacock in 4-5 years.

by Anonymousreply 117May 24, 2022 9:18 PM

I am underwhelmed by this last episode.

by Anonymousreply 118May 25, 2022 1:48 AM

It started out low-key, but it was lovely at the end.

by Anonymousreply 119May 25, 2022 2:04 AM

In the final scene Kevin and Randall motorboat Chrissy Metz's enormous breasts.

by Anonymousreply 120May 25, 2022 2:06 AM

OK, so Cate was good at Pin the Tail on the Donkey, so she grew up to have a blind child and it influenced her career. Randall was an adoptee and the most beloved of the three so he grew up to adopt a child that was significantly more important and beloved to him then his other two biological children. I missed Kevin’s mystical childhood to adult origin story, what was it?

by Anonymousreply 121May 25, 2022 2:09 AM

What’s Kevin’s skin color?

by Anonymousreply 122May 25, 2022 2:15 AM

The whole point is that who we are is shaped by our upbringing, the people we knew, the people who hurt us, the people who loved us, the bad situations, the good ones etc. Kevin, Kate and Randall are who they are now because of all those things, and at the foundation of all that is Jack and Rebecca.

Also, when you die, life goes on. Life continues. We saw that tonight, and those people and things that taught you, now you pass that onto those after you. It’s a cycle.

The finale was charming and sweet.

Susan Kelechi Watson did a quick live and said the episode is basically a big hug to the fans. A thank you. After 6 years of sadness, heartache, tears, they wanted to close the show in a more light way. The episode was intentionally “lighter”

by Anonymousreply 123May 25, 2022 2:30 AM

“Comforting” is the word used. Just remembered. After 6 years of tears and sadness and heartache, they wanted to send the fans off feeling comfort for the Big 3.

by Anonymousreply 124May 25, 2022 2:32 AM

And once again Miguel was the ugly step sister. He didn't appear once in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 125May 25, 2022 7:07 AM

Why was Deja the favored daughter? The 2 younger daughters got pushed aside. Randall got more screen time than anyone else again

by Anonymousreply 126May 25, 2022 7:25 AM

I hope when Kate opens all the international schools she buy 3 plane seats so nobody has to sit next to her

by Anonymousreply 127May 25, 2022 7:25 AM

R125 I know right, you think we would have gotten a drunken blowjob between Miguel and Jack at some construction conference long ago to send us off on our way.

by Anonymousreply 128May 25, 2022 7:35 AM

R126 She became the favorite because Randall completely identified with her being the foster or adopted child like he was. Quite frankly at times it bordered on creepy or at least cringy. If he had run off with Deja and abandoned his family in the last episode or secretly turned out to be the father of the child I wouldn’t have even blinked.

by Anonymousreply 129May 25, 2022 7:44 AM

[quote]I am underwhelmed by this last episode.

Totally agree. It was surprisingly lacking in emotion (until the last five minutes) and seemed really incoherent, narratively, jumping all over the place and never landing anywhere long enough to resonate. Plus: SO MANY COMMERCIALS. On my affiliate, commercials aired about every five minutes, further adding to the disjointed feel of the episode.

SPOILERS FOLLOW...

There was all this build-up to Randall's eulogy, and then we heard none of it. And nothing of what Kate or Kevin said at the funeral, either. A lot of time was spent on Randall becoming a grandfather, Randall looking back on his time with William... but Kate and Kevin got very little screen time in this episode, save for a few throwaway lines about what they'll do in the future. I was distracted by how tall Young Kate was in the flashbacks, and also didn't understand the final shot, of Young Randall looking lovingly at Jack -- ??

It wasn't until we were back on the train with Rebecca at the end that I (finally) started to tear up... and then it was over.

by Anonymousreply 130May 25, 2022 12:11 PM

You didn’t understand Randall looking lovingly at his father? He always adored his father. They just spent a whole day with him and he just finished chatting up his two boys and teaching them how to shave. Unlike Kevin, Randall never took those things for granted.

We don’t need more Kevin. Justin Hartley is a limited actor who makes almost every scene feel like a soap opera. He’s been truly good about 3 times in this entire series. He delivers every line the same. His entire life has been one big ball of PRIVILEGE and yet he always acts like he’s the most oppressed of his siblings.

by Anonymousreply 131May 25, 2022 1:09 PM

Also, I loved the finale. There was literally no plot left to show. We’ve seen it all with this family. Idk what people were expecting, some crazy plot twist or a new death? You can feel that way if you want, but I think it was a nice homage to the core of what the show is about.

The finale did what so many popular and great series don’t… it gracefully landed. It didn’t need big words, it didn’t need flash. It ended just as it went along, because life doesn’t go forward knowing what’s going to happen. It ended gracefully without overdoing it and being something it never was.

by Anonymousreply 132May 25, 2022 1:24 PM

As Mandy Moore said, the finale is more an epilogue to The Train episode, and the series as a whole.

It was quiet and poignant, just like life is after a loved one dies. And life goes on regardless.

The episode also has a message of appreciating those little things and small moments. We take them for granted, but later on you think back and remember those sweet moments, like your dad teaching you how to shave or the family randomly playing Pin The Tail on the Donkey. In the moment you don’t care (or don’t even wanna do it) but later on you think back on those moments with a smile.

Randall appreciated those moments as they were happening.

by Anonymousreply 133May 25, 2022 1:28 PM

I'm sorry it's over but it was a well-written and well-acted show that ended when the writer said it would. I'm glad the last episode wasn't a complete and utter tear-jerker. Last week was enough from me.

Although, the FB group I belong to (and will be happy to unjoin!) were having a shit fit that Miguel was barely a passing memory on the train. They obviously don't know how Alzheimer's works. Someone who has the disease has problems with recent memories becoming long-term memories. While Rebecca was probably married to Miguel longer than she was married to Jack, in her mind, he was a fairly recent memory. It was brief but it was there. Jack was the love her life and deserved the majority of her memory.

I was fine last night until I understood why she grasped Randall's hand so hard at the end. She was actually gripping Jack's hand as she let go and died. Rebecca also said 'Hey" to Jack, just like Randall asked her to.

by Anonymousreply 134May 25, 2022 2:37 PM

[quote] There was all this build-up to Randall's eulogy, and then we heard none of it.

Here is one reason to be thankful!

by Anonymousreply 135May 25, 2022 3:01 PM

R134 also, when she sees Jack on the train she is reliving that Saturday in her mind, which is why we saw it in the finale. That day clearly was a memory she fought to not let go of, the Saturday they did nothing but stay home with one another.

by Anonymousreply 136May 25, 2022 3:07 PM

Someone on Reddit pointed out something that most didn't even realize.

This show uses a lot of music, in almost every scene, but the finale used almost none, and did use none in the flashback scenes on that Saturday afternoon. The scenes were very quiet, with only voices and surroundings, making us feel like we are there with these people in that moment.

What the poster typed...

"About halfway through - I think at the shaving scene - I said to my husband “this is weird, there’s no music in this scene.” I started realizing that the scenes that would normally have moving, emotional music had 0 music (shaving, big three on the porch, etc) and actually, the whole episode had hardly any music at all, which is rare. Once I realized that these moments were quiet, with only voices, I was thinking about how the whole point of the episode was a normal Saturday at home with no plans, spending time as a family, and it all clicked. The episode was quiet and normal and boring on purpose - it was just a normal day with a normal family. No sweeping music, no big moments. Until the last scene on the train, a song finally began, and even then, that was a new song I’m pretty sure. Not their normal themes. It was the start of something new for Rebecca.

The scenes from the normal Saturday and the scene with William all would have been shot at least 3 years ago cause those kids are all way bigger now, which the forethought that took blows my mind and makes it feel special to me.

All this to say…it was underwhelming. And I think that was the whole point. In the end, it is quiet, boring moments that make us. In the end, they’re just family."

by Anonymousreply 137May 25, 2022 3:26 PM

Family Portrait!

Fun Fact, the scenes with the kids were filmed 3 years ago for the finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 25, 2022 4:30 PM

That's true, R136. It also made me remember the episode where Jack took the kids to the movies and Kevin walked left. They spent the day looking for him. When they got home, Jack told Rebecca what happened. She told him that there was still time left in the day to make a good one the kids would remember.

The Saturday they showed echoed what she said. The kids initially hated having nothing to do on a Saturday but it turned out to be a good day after all.

by Anonymousreply 139May 25, 2022 5:12 PM

R131, I understood Randall’s loving look and why he’d look at Jack that way.

What I didn’t understand was why THAT was the final shot in the series — why not something involving the whole family, or all three of the Big Three, or even a shot of the pin-the-tail game box? Something that related to the overall message of the series/the episode?

It just seemed like an odd choice, and didn’t make sense (to me).

by Anonymousreply 140May 25, 2022 5:32 PM

The final shot should have been the unborn baby looking down from heaven and saying “Yo, you insufferable bitches, Mommy’s all mine now and I don’t even have to share her!”

by Anonymousreply 141May 25, 2022 5:52 PM

So guessing from the responses a whimper and not a bang?

by Anonymousreply 142May 25, 2022 7:39 PM

I don’t know how you make a series like this close on a “bang” r142.

by Anonymousreply 143May 25, 2022 7:45 PM

Three little words: Moldavian Wedding Massacre!

by Anonymousreply 144May 25, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote] I don’t know how you make a series like this close on a “bang”

Dropping Metz from a tall building.

by Anonymousreply 145May 25, 2022 9:10 PM

Would she bounce once at least?

by Anonymousreply 146May 25, 2022 9:12 PM

[quote] Would she bounce once at least?

No. She could potentially implode thereby causing a singularity aka a black hole.

by Anonymousreply 147May 26, 2022 12:55 AM

The reason the body of Rebecca was not at the memorial services was because Kate had her for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 148May 26, 2022 12:56 AM

R140, I took it as young Randall looking at Jack and realizing he wants to be a dad just like him when he grows up. In the end, Randall feels he like he will be a loving Dad in the same way Jack was. Also, having been adopted himself, he has handed down how to make someone feel like part of the family even though they didn't start out as biological family.

by Anonymousreply 149May 26, 2022 3:15 PM

They’ve had Randall since the day he was born.

by Anonymousreply 150May 26, 2022 3:20 PM

My partner loves this show. I think it's overstayed its welcome. The big three are unlikeable. Almost everyone is neurotic and unable to enjoy life. Someone with a clipboard needs to pop up and say: Kate, get a lapband and be grateful you've got a husband. Randall, take the stick out of your ass. Kevin, grow up.

by Anonymousreply 151May 26, 2022 4:30 PM

Kate had two men wanting her. She divorced her husband to get married to the new one.

by Anonymousreply 152May 26, 2022 4:31 PM

R150, that's the only detail that the show missed, IMO.

Someone drops off a baby at a hospital. That same day, some strange people, who were apparently set on bringing home babies, takes this one home with no adoption papers or anything.

by Anonymousreply 153May 26, 2022 5:25 PM

R153 in season one they are shown going through the process of legally adopting him

by Anonymousreply 154May 26, 2022 5:26 PM

If I remembered right Randall is three days old when they get him. But I think he does share the same birthday. Her hospital stay is longer because of the triplets and complications.

by Anonymousreply 155May 26, 2022 5:47 PM

And the fact one triplet died upon birth.

by Anonymousreply 156May 26, 2022 5:53 PM

^^^ Hence the more respectful term “complications.”

by Anonymousreply 157May 26, 2022 5:56 PM

NBC is sorry to see it go:

This Is Us closed on a high note — emotionally and in the Nielsen ratings. The NBC series finale led Tuesday’s broadcast offerings with the highest adults 18-49 rating for any network drama this season, 1.27. It’s only the second time this season a drama has scored above a 1.0 in same-day ratings — the other was This Is Us’ season premiere in January, which came in at 1.05.

by Anonymousreply 158May 26, 2022 7:06 PM

Is this show trauma porn?

by Anonymousreply 159May 26, 2022 7:58 PM

Fuck this flyover state show. Glad it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 160May 26, 2022 8:03 PM

Well, that's a fantasy. If her body isn't a turn-off and sign of dysfunction, her angry, depressed personality seals the deal.

by Anonymousreply 161May 26, 2022 9:45 PM

Movie two to three years?

by Anonymousreply 162May 26, 2022 9:54 PM

Hate to say it, but this is most likely the career pinnacle for most of the cast of this show. I can’t envision any of them ever doing anything that’s both as popular and critically acclaimed as This Is Us has been, except for maybe Sterling K Brown and Susan Kelechi Watson, who’s wonderful and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 163May 27, 2022 5:15 AM

Milo and Mandy have been around since very young. They aren’t going anywhere.

Justin will end up back in soaps or Hallmark within a couple of years.

Chrissy has been building a country music career

by Anonymousreply 164May 27, 2022 5:17 AM

This! This is us!

by Anonymousreply 165May 27, 2022 5:18 AM

Milo and Mandy aren’t going anywhere, but this is the best thing either of them have ever done. Will they ever headline anything this good or popular again?

by Anonymousreply 166May 27, 2022 5:32 AM

Mandy is doing music again.

Milo, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 167May 27, 2022 5:33 AM

The only cast member who will have a career is Sterling K Brown.

by Anonymousreply 168May 27, 2022 5:49 AM

You can never guess in this business who's going to hit.

They'll all have opportunities now that the show is over.

You never know.

The kids playing the kids especially.

by Anonymousreply 169May 27, 2022 5:59 AM

[quote] The kids playing the kids especially

Would they like to play something else?

by Anonymousreply 170May 27, 2022 6:05 AM

Milo has a drama pilot in contention for a slot on ABC's mid-season schedule. "The Company You Keep" revolves around conman Charlie (Ventimiglia) and undercover CIA officer Emma, who are unknowingly on a collision course professionally. Milo's co-stars include Catherine Haena Kim (Good Trouble), Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead) and William Fichter (Mom).

by Anonymousreply 171May 27, 2022 11:19 AM

Justin has a pilot with CBS. It probably will flop. We will see him in soaps again within 2-3 years. He’s not a good actor and he isn’t gonna be able to carry a show.

Mandy is doing music again, her roots. Or have you forgotten she was a pop star?

by Anonymousreply 172May 27, 2022 2:41 PM

I wonder if Justin would ever do a scripted version of a show called THE MANNY.

by Anonymousreply 173May 27, 2022 3:49 PM

Chrissy ate the set.

by Anonymousreply 174May 27, 2022 3:51 PM

Justin is a 45 year old man. Who is watching him be a Manny?

by Anonymousreply 175May 27, 2022 3:51 PM

How did Kate get a hot British chubby chaser? Talk about fantasy world.

by Anonymousreply 176May 27, 2022 3:52 PM

You just said it. He was a chubby chaser.

by Anonymousreply 177May 27, 2022 4:04 PM

seriously, if she rolled over on him...

Kate would be a widow.

by Anonymousreply 178May 27, 2022 4:47 PM

Phillip sucks. But he became attracted to Kate after getting to know her and have her work for him. Her love and care for those handicapped kids added to it, plus their love for music. They related and bonded.

She’s also a bitch to Toby who is always putting him down.

by Anonymousreply 179May 27, 2022 4:53 PM

That would be funny if they did make a Manny show with Justin.

by Anonymousreply 180May 27, 2022 7:46 PM

Justin can cum in me, anytime!

by Anonymousreply 181May 28, 2022 10:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!