Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lesser-known Caribbean destinations

Our group always goes to Tulum for New Year's week. We had a great time this year and it was nice to be back at the beach since we couldn't go last year.

However, Tulum is getting overrun and it's no longer quaint and charming. Too much loud music everywhere. Too many partiers. We want something a little more serene at this point.

We loved Tulum because it's a very short trip from Austin.

We've thought about Costa Rica but it's crazy expensive during the winter.

Any lesser known sunny and warm destinations that you know about? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 10:56 AM

Anguilla. Turks and Caicos.

by Anonymousreply 1January 5, 2022 7:36 PM

Bonaire is beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 5, 2022 8:45 PM

I love Martinique and Tortola.

by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2022 8:46 PM

Check out the Bacalar and Chetumal region of Mexico. Not overrun with tourists. Most tourists tend to be locals.

by Anonymousreply 4January 5, 2022 10:19 PM

Check the state dept travel advisory website-- almost every Caribbean island is rated Level 4: do not travel.

by Anonymousreply 5January 5, 2022 10:30 PM

Haiti

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2022 11:11 PM

Puerto Rico. They are the most Covid-safety place I've seen in the US. Great winter weather, no customs to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 7January 5, 2022 11:14 PM

I love Puerto Rico but I wouldn't call it a quiet and non crowded destination if that is what OP is looking for r7.

by Anonymousreply 8January 5, 2022 11:16 PM

Puerto Rico was pretty low key for New Year's Eve. And it was definitely quiet the rest of the time we were just there. Vieques is quite nice.

by Anonymousreply 9January 5, 2022 11:22 PM

R7 Posting from 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 5, 2022 11:34 PM

Try the Dominican... but not Punta Cana. There is a sprawling resort called Casa de Campo. Lots of villas for rent, a hotel, multiple golf courses, beach clubs, restaurants, etc. Take day excursions to Isla Saona and Isla Isla Catalina.

They are lots of events, parties, big name DJ's etc during the week of New Years. It's as hectic or as quiet as you want to make it and there is literally no reason to leave the grounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2022 12:04 AM

OP, you didn't specify if the odds of being robbed or killed were part of your consideration of not.

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2022 12:08 AM

If you want the robbing and killing, then Philly is MINT!

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2022 12:13 AM

West coast of Nicaragua. My brother (American) is stationed in Managua for 2 years and he and his wife drive to the coast every weekend to surf. Beautiful resorts. Very affordable. He says it’s safe.

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2022 12:14 AM

Love Island, Fantasy Island, Gilligan's Island, Temptation Island, Epstein Island, Guantanamo Bay. . .

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2022 12:33 AM

Interestingly, there are only two Caribbean islands that have a majority white population. One is St. Barts, which everyone knows and is ridiculously expensive. The other is Saba, which is nearby, but most people don't even know it exists.

by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2022 1:27 AM

La Isla Bonita

by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2022 1:29 AM

Barbuda is great. I also enjoyed Isla Mujeres off of Cancun. It's about a 30 minute-ish ferry ride. Very chill, everyone gets around on diesel golf carts.

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2022 3:02 AM

[quote] Barbuda is great.

The correct spelling is Bermuda.

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2022 3:27 AM

Kokomo

by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2022 3:56 AM

Thanks for the tip about Saba. I had never heard of it. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2022 1:41 PM

When I was a young gayling many years ago, the first time I ever heard of St. Croix was when someone on a soap opera mentioned it as where they were going on their honeymoon.

It sounded so exotic.

It's funny now so many interesting locations and places are so run-of-the-mill now, but once were so glamorous.

All the old "Road to..." movies with Hope, Crosby, and Lamour were like this, as well. It sounded so interesting and exciting when I was a little kid.

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2022 1:58 PM

No R19 the correct spelling of the island R18 is talking about is Barbuda. You are referencing a totally different island.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2022 2:10 PM

R21 Saba is a charming place, but there are no beaches… like none whatsoever aside from a few pebble strewn areas that are flat enough to walk across. It’s literally a rock rising right out of the sea, so not a good choice if a beach vacation is your aim.

But they have fantastic scuba diving right offshore because the water gets so deep so quickly. And some beautiful hikes in forests higher up on the island.

It’s only a 20-minute flight from St. Maarten and makes a great two or three day excursion from there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2022 2:28 PM

Les Saintes is a tiny island that’s governed by France as a part of Guadeloupe. Back in the late 1990s it was hyped as being the “next St. Barts”, but never really took off like that… probably because the beaches, although very pretty, aren’t spectacular enough to warrant that kind of comparison.

But it’s a laid back, charming place if you want to get away from mass tourism and crowds of Americans. And of course the food is great, like almost all islands with a French heritage. Spent a week here with friends and we really liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2022 2:44 PM

[quote] It’s only a 20-minute flight from St. Maarten and makes a great two or three day excursion from there.

You can also go by ferry if you don't want to fly.

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2022 7:23 PM

You can also go to Saba for med school. Pretty island, but not much to do.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 10:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!