Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you eaten in a restaurant lately?

I got a lunch invite for next Friday (January 14).

I'm in the Northeast. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since .... September I think.

Do you think it's safe? I am vaxxed and was boosted in mid-November.

by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2022 5:25 PM

No, I don't think it's safe. Omicron is highly transmissible and being vaxxed and boosted doesn't seem to matter in terms of catching it. I have 2 friends who both think they got it in restaurants. This is in NYC - where you are required to show proof of vaccination to eat inside. I'm not sure if where you live even has that requirement (which didn't even seem to matter). One of them feels really shitty - it's more like a mild flu for her (fever, chills, aches and sore throat) and she is 40 with no underlying health issues.

Wait until February when this burns through and the numbers go down. That's what I'm doing. And I was eating in restaurants regularly until mid-December when Omicron showed up. Not worth the risk.

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2022 7:56 PM

Thanks, r1. That's the direction I'm leaning, but I'm always worried I'm being too much of a MARY!!!!!!! about these things

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2022 7:59 PM

Yes, I ate in one (inside) last week, though to be fair we were the only people eating. Everyone has different levels of risk to consider. I also think everyone is going to get it -- and since you have been vaccinated, you are very unlikely to get serious side effects.

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2022 8:03 PM

OP you aren't being a MARY. Just hold off until mid-February. Or meet the person for a walk or something outside if you really want social interaction.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2022 8:05 PM

I ate a restaurant on New Year's Eve but it was for lunch. There was a party of about 14 on one side of the restaurant. My sister and I sat at a corner booth and no one but waitstaff needed to be near us. There were 2 women sitting at the first booth (our usual spot). One person at the bar. A couple of other diners came in but we were getting ready to leave by then. We felt safe.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2022 8:09 PM

I ate inside Dec 17th and luckily didn't catch omicron but I was worried about it. I wouldn't eat inside a restaurant in the Northeast/NYC area until at least Jan 18ish. I suspect Omicron will have crested in this area by then.

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2022 8:18 PM

Yes, last week. And I'm going out Thursday for dinner and Friday for lunch.

I'm vaxxed and boosted and I'm not afraid of it. Everyone I know who has gotten omicron has not been very sick -- mostly tired and/or headache.

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2022 8:38 PM

What part of the country, r7?

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2022 8:39 PM

New England, R8

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2022 8:41 PM

It is SO contagious, that many well respected health authorities are convinced that almost everyone will eventually get Omicron.

It can't be public policy, but the word is if you're vaxed, you're better off just getting out there, catch the virus and endure the mild cold-like symptoms to develop the needed immunity. Otherwise isolation is just a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2022 9:00 PM

That's what I think, too R10. I'm not going to stop living over this fucking thing, which seems more like a nuisance unless you're in really bad shape.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2022 9:02 PM

My boss and four co-workers - all boosted - have Covid. Most are mild except for one.

How did they get it? All said it was from eating in restaurants..

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2022 9:02 PM

I wouldn't fuck around with Omicron, but it's up to you.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2022 9:03 PM

No, I haven't. Even before Covid, I had cut down on dining in restaurants. Just disappointed in the restaurant experience, in general (including food quality). (Former restaurant worker here. No, I don't think my expectations are / were super high.)

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2022 9:07 PM

I sat at a bar for about 15 minutes yesterday waiting for a carryout order. I've had a mild headache all day and sore throat, with occasional dizziness when I stand up. Am I gonna die???

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2022 10:21 PM

I actually think that may be about when the omicron wave peaks.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2022 10:38 PM

Only if it’s worth dying for- Cheesecake Factory or Olive Garden!

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2022 11:18 PM

Everyone has their own level of risk they are okay with. I feel similar to r7, I've had my three shots so I am going to largely live my life, I'm not terrified of catching omnicron. I went out to a bar on NYE, and I met a friend for dinner yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2022 11:24 PM

R17 , the olive garden ???? The ONLY thing that is good there are their salads

by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2022 1:27 AM

take out only, baby

by Anonymousreply 20January 5, 2022 1:29 AM

Your sarcasm meter is very broken if you can't tell that post in jest r19.

by Anonymousreply 21January 5, 2022 1:34 AM

I haven't eaten in a restaurant since COVID began. I don't miss it, either.

by Anonymousreply 22January 5, 2022 1:34 AM

favorite pizzeria ? now tastes horrible. I think the workers who prepared the foods moved on.

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2022 1:37 AM

I wouldn’t risk it. You could become ill and/ or spread the virus to someone else. It hasn’t peaked yet.

by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2022 1:37 AM

A friend has it now and feels like absolute shit. Fever for 3 days, horrible sore throat and achey and exhausted. Triple vaxxed. To everyone saying it’s mild and no big deal - unless you’re some college kid - I would walk that back.

But that’s just me.

by Anonymousreply 25January 5, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote] [R17] , the olive garden ???? The ONLY thing that is good there are their salads

What's so good about Olive Garden salads?

by Anonymousreply 26January 5, 2022 2:18 AM

yes, absolutely

by Anonymousreply 27January 5, 2022 2:20 AM

Yes, often. But here more than 90% of eligible people have been fully vaccinated and restaurants ask check your vaccination passport.

I realize that doesn't eliminate all risk, but it seems a reasonable level of precaution against that risk.

by Anonymousreply 28January 5, 2022 2:32 AM

The severity of those that are vaxxed that get it is all over the place, it seems. I have friends and colleagues who range from asymptomatic and being completely knocked on their ass and in bed for a week.

Fuck China.

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2022 3:11 AM

I am not going into restaurants, movies or other people's homes with Omicron raging.

I had a friend call today and wanted to come over to kill some time while waiting for something. I've seen his FB posts and he goes to restaurants and has recently flown commercial flights. We are driving to Palm Springs for the winter next week and are being cautious. We aren't letting anyone in the house and are double masking when doing errands. We told his wife that yesterday.

I get pissed when people who aren't taking precautions expect us to socialize with them.

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2022 5:03 AM

Olive Garden salad? Is that a joke?

Iceberg lettuce, unripened tomato and doctored Wishbone dressing.

All you can eat! Dear God, aim higher.

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2022 7:28 AM

[quote]I get pissed when people who aren't taking precautions expect us to socialize with them.

Why do you get pissed? Can't you politely decline?

by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2022 10:52 AM

I only get carryout at home, but I ate at restaurants a lot when I visited Florida the week before Christmas, including at Disney World. There are plenty of people in the restaurants. I didn’t catch Covid.

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2022 11:24 AM

Y E S

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2022 11:28 AM

Dr. Jonathan Eisen, director of the UC Davis Microbiome Special Research Program, who is an expert on microbes—organisms such as bacteria, fungi and viruses:

So is it safe to say that you’re not eating indoors at restaurants?

I am not eating indoors at any place. Absolutely not. No fricking way. If I’m inside a restaurant, and someone is 40 feet away, they’re still putting virus into the air in that space. And if the air is not filtered, you’re going to get it. This “6 feet apart” thing is completely wrong. That guidance was put out ages ago when there was this idea that the virus is transmitted in these big droplets, but the virus is also transmitted in what are called aerosols—little droplets that get suspended in the air. If you don’t have good air circulation and you’re sharing an indoor space with someone who’s infected, you’ll get exposed no matter how far away they are.

by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2022 12:01 PM

[quote]I also think everyone is going to get it -- and since you have been vaccinated, you are very unlikely to get serious side effects.

Also from Dr. Eisen:

That is one of my biggest concerns with this attitude of not worrying about Omicron too much because it might cause less severe symptoms. We know that long Covid is a problem for the other variants. It’s a big problem that is poorly understood medically, but is very clearly a real thing. These are real medical problems that people are having for months to now years after infection. Some people are saying everybody is going to eventually get Omicron, and that’s just the wrong attitude. We can make it so that not everybody gets it, and therefore reduce the risk of long Covid in too many people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2022 12:03 PM

Just because everyone can get the flu, doesn’t mean I want it. Fuck - I don’t even want a cold.

If it means holding off on restaurants until mid-February, that’s fine.

by Anonymousreply 37January 6, 2022 1:40 PM

Y'all may be waiting a LONG time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 6, 2022 9:11 PM

I've been dragging my feet ... I still need to cancel.

The only thing that's stopped me is that I ate in this same restaurant in June and it was empty at lunchtime. But I know that's a huge roll of the dice.

I think the isolation over the holidays is finally getting to me -- I didn't travel and spent the time alone in my apartment.

by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2022 5:35 PM

Oh it’s safe then you go have a good time and a few days later you get omicron and die alone in a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2022 5:38 PM

OP if you are in NYC cases are down 20% this week if that makes you feel better. I canceled my Feb 3 trip to Florida, because , well, Florida. If it was NYC I would not have canceled.

by Anonymousreply 41January 13, 2022 5:58 PM

Yes! Last 2 weeks - NYC and JC (Olive Garden, DOMO, Sky Thai, Starbucks, Haru Sushi) , Negative. However, will be scaling back to Thai takeout 1x/wk to be safer.

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2022 5:59 PM

OP just go if your mental health is really suffering from the isolation. do you have any underlying health risks?

It's really hard to balance the mental health effects from isolation vs. a potentially mild case of covid at this point. I'm in a similar boat.

by Anonymousreply 43January 13, 2022 6:00 PM

r41 I'm in Western Massachusetts

by Anonymousreply 44January 13, 2022 6:01 PM

r42 how crowded were the restaurants?

by Anonymousreply 45January 13, 2022 6:48 PM

R45: OG very crowded, Japanese/Thai restaurants not crowded, Starbucks crowded morning rush. The OG/Japanese restaurants require masks and vaccine cards for entry. Thai/Starbucks require masks.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2022 7:40 PM

R8 is an idiot with such a behind the times question

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2022 7:40 PM

My neighbors spent one hour in a restaurant last week and their infant ended up in intensive care four days later. They were vaxxed, but had masks off while dining.

It's not worth it, what with Omicron raging.

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2022 7:51 PM

I canceled.

Let's hope February is better.

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2022 7:53 PM

So, OP, are you going to tally the responses and make your decision based on what percentage of people "think" you're safe or not?

by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2022 7:55 PM

r50 please see r49

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2022 7:57 PM

I'm sorry you had to cancel OP. If it's any consolation, I've been sitting in my apartment too and didn't travel for the holidays. We just have to make it thru.

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2022 7:59 PM

Thanks r52. I figure things will calm down in the next month or two.

I remember a brief moment in June when numbers were way down. And I finally felt comfortable eating inside in a restaurant again, for the first time since March 2020. Then Delta hit ... then Omicron.

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2022 8:03 PM

I don't know if it's right or wrong but under the current circumstances, OP, it is very sensible. Let things play out for a few more weeks. If you need a hospital - unlikely but possible - better you have one that isn't overwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2022 8:03 PM

We haven’t eaten in a restaurant since early March 2020. No way! I’m boosted but not ready to catch the Rona.

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2022 8:04 PM

No, it is still too soon to dine in a restaurant. The last meal I had in a public setting was the day before St. Patrick's Day, 2020, when NYC went on lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2022 8:13 PM

Why, given the fact that Covid is still raging and people are unmasked when eating, do the seaters put people at the next table to you and not spread them out? I realize they did this to help the server, but in these times, why does it not change? Restaurant managers, what is the reason?

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2022 9:35 PM

I had a few outdoor lunches in the summer, and a couple of coffees with people indoors in the fall (masked except for sips)—that was before the omnicorn. Not doing it now until infections hit rock bottom again.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2022 9:55 PM

r57 I don't know, but that did factor into my decision to cancel

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2022 9:41 AM

the last time i went to eat inside a restaurant was December 14. I was out of town at a funeral and had no other choice. It was a rural area so i wasn't too concerned, but this was before omicron hit. I really wanted to go out and celebrate my partners birthday a few weeks ago, but we decided against it. My birthday is next month so i am hoping we can celebrate then when the omicron wave is over.

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2022 9:59 AM

[quote] It's really hard to balance the mental health effects from isolation vs. a potentially mild case of covid at this point. I'm in a similar boat.

Uh, no it’s not. I’d rather suck it up and not get COVID. Easy choice.

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2022 10:06 AM

I went to a restaurant for beer & a burger. I went at about 2:30 so there were only a small number of people. I'm vaxed & boosted. that was 3 days ago and so far no omicron.

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2022 10:12 AM

I had plans to get back to something resembling normal as soon as the two weeks after my booster were up. I didn't get a chance, I got what I'm 99.9% sure is COVID three weeks after the booster, so thankfully I was boosted, but I'm on day 14 of it and still not really feeling right. Plus there are no tests to be found so I'll never really know if I had it or not, meaning I'm still going to want to isolate until the current wave dies down.

It's not fun. I wouldn't go out, personally, but also I DIDN'T go out and got it anyway (partner brought it home from work) so maybe it won't matter in the long run if you go or not.

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2022 10:14 AM

R57 I find 40% of people in I run into in public are completely oblivious to current covid risks . You have to tell the host/hostess it’s way too close and tell them where you want to sit. Then be prepared to walk if they deny your req.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2022 10:54 AM

I've also balanced psychological effects of continued isolation vs. risk for Covid. Even though I'm triple vaxxed, I still won't eat inside a restaurant. Haven't since April 2020. However, I did start going back to the gym for the first time since April 2020. I wear an N95 mask, only moving it below my mouth very briefly when I drink water, and only in the locker room when no one is in close proximity. Hardly anyone is wearing a mask there, but I feel pretty safe with my N95, though it can be suffocating when working out, especially weight lifting. I've been going back regularly for three weeks and knock on wood, I haven't caught Covid. Even though I take precautions, deep down I feel it's inevitable that I will catch it at some point.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2022 12:00 PM

Okay R61 - glad it’s an easy choice for you.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2022 1:41 PM

Realistically, what are we supposed to do? Spend the rest of our lives isolating in our homes/apartments to minimize contact with people to avoid whatever the latest variant is so that healthcare systems/workers don't become overwhelmed? That's just not a sustainable way to live life over the long term.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2022 3:23 PM

I have made many sacrifices over the past two years to avoid getting COVID, r67.

Maybe getting it is inevitable, maybe it's not; but I am not yet prepared to admit defeat.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2022 3:26 PM

Good grief. Are you clinically extremely vulnerable and likely to put yourself in serious danger if you contract COVID? If not, go and eat out - everyone is comfortable with different levels of risk, but surely there comes a point where you just have to live your life as normally as you can, otherwise what's the fucking point?

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2022 3:30 PM

People also need to consider diminishing returns. For every extra layer of protection or additional action you take, or don’t take, how much are you actually lowering your risk? Each protective action you take may reduce the risk a little bit more, but is it enough to warrant giving up something beneficial?

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2022 3:46 PM

R69 but some people might not be at that point. In North America, the hospitals are swamped. They're asking us to reduce contact as much as possible. I went to the grocery store and the dry cleaner this morning, I didn't got to the barber. I'll let things settle a bit. As soon as the gyms re open I am going back hell or high water. That's what works for me. Your post suggests individual courage is the only consideration at present and it isn't, if it ever was.

by Anonymousreply 71January 14, 2022 4:58 PM

Would you advise going to a bath house or m4m strip club? need to drink in some go-go boy beauty.

by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2022 5:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!