Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #449: OMICRON GATHERUM, EUPHENEGENIA EUTHANASIA, AND WHAT THE HELL IS GREG KINNEAR DOING HERE?

2020 redux or we gonna be all right? Have at it, theatre fans.

by Anonymousreply 600January 11, 2022 2:42 AM

Old thread still finishing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2022 5:09 PM

Which will be the next Broadway musical to close? I'm betting on MOULIN ROUGE. I can't believe that shit can survive without tourists.

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2022 5:35 PM

So many candidates though. Tina? North Country? How will they survive any January, let alone [italic] this [/italic] January?

Is Hadestown still riding high on its Tony? Is Evan Hansen going to overcome that movie debacle?

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2022 5:45 PM

If I were Kimberley Akimbo, I'd wait to open in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2022 6:10 PM

Is Kimberly Akimbo opening in the Spring? I can't find that anywhere...

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2022 6:17 PM

What's winning best musical this year, R5?

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2022 6:27 PM

I think KIMBERLY AKIMBO was definitely shooting for Broadway in the spring, but with the Omicron surge continuing, who knows?

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2022 6:32 PM

Anything announcing closing today?

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2022 6:41 PM

It has to be said. This is a TERRIBLE thread title. What happened to all those clever chappies who did the titles back in the 200s and 300s?

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2022 6:50 PM

The last title was shit, too.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2022 6:55 PM

R9 Coincidentally those were the days when actual insiders used to post too

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2022 7:18 PM

I'm not sure why certain parties are so convinced that KIMBERLY AKIMBO will ever move to Bway, let alone anytime soon.

I saw it. I liked it. But despite the NYT rave, it's not a Broadway musical. It would die miserably in the current Bway climate of SIX et al.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2022 7:43 PM

Isn't Voldemort behind KimAkim?

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2022 7:49 PM

Agreed, r12! As great as it is (and I had a few issues), how the hell do you sell a Broadway musical about a teenaged girl suffering from progeria (google it!) starring Victoria Clark as the teenager?

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2022 8:11 PM

Girl from the North Country is exquisite, but there is a limited audience right now for something this dark no matter how skillfully performed. Even with no health risks, it would have a struggle to find an audience. Unfortunate, because it was extremely resonant in the middle of the Trump years.

Kimberly Akimbo? I just don’t see how to justify a transfer now. It doesn’t speak to current environment, the story doesn’t do much, and the appeals are gentle at best. One of the ultimate “why?” musicals, with the only answer being because people liked the original play.

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2022 8:23 PM

[quote]The last title was shit, too.

Recent titles have all been pretty bad, but I think some of us are just expecting bad titles now and really don't pay much attention to any of them.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote]Kimberly Akimbo? I just don’t see how to justify a transfer now. It doesn’t speak to current environment, the story doesn’t do much, and the appeals are gentle at best. One of the ultimate “why?” musicals, with the only answer being because people liked the original play.

The whole concept of a "why?" musical is specious, but especially your concept of what that means.

As for why some of us are "so convinced" that the show would move to Broadway, maybe it's because we had heard from reliable sources that such a transfer was in the works, regardless of how wise that would or would not be from a commercial standpoint. Anyway, some shows with limited commercial appeal move to Broadway at least for limited runs so they can be eligible for Tony Awards and have the cachet of being able to advertise that they were on Broadway, and also, there's always the chance that they will find an audience for a decent run in a small theater.

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2022 8:40 PM

[quote]I recall my first night in London at the National Theatre prior to a performance, watching Joan Copeland go into a hissy fit because the concession guy wouldn't take American money and Joan bellowing "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

This summarizes my experience with Joan Copeland as well. She may have been a grand dame with lots of stories, but her sense of entitlement and her (arguable) lack of talent certainly didn't put her on any of my sponge-worthy lists.

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2022 8:51 PM

On, Joan Copeland was talented, no denying that. She may have been an entitled bitch but she was a talented entitled bitch.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2022 9:23 PM

R12-R17-That's what they all said about "Once" before it moved.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2022 9:24 PM

Broadway Box Office Rises With Ticket Prices After A Joyless Christmas:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2022 9:30 PM

[quote] Recent titles have all been pretty bad

I'll confess I did a couple of recent ones and they're my first ever. (But I can't claim "credit" for "a bidet walks into a bar" or whatever.) But it's an unpleasant job so I'll retire and leave it to someone else (although I thought Eupenegenia Euthanasia" wasn't bad.)

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2022 9:31 PM

Go check out some of the titles from the glory days of the past. They were really fun.

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2022 9:33 PM

OP/R22, I liked your title.

by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2022 9:33 PM

Every time I see that annoying informercial on Power Swabs, I keep thinking "Is David Burtka really that desperate that he needs to do this?" Of course, it's just a look-alike, but am I the only one who sees the resemblance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 4, 2022 9:47 PM

Anyone see the Michael Jackson musical?

by Anonymousreply 26January 4, 2022 9:55 PM

Don't worry, OP. If any of these clowns who constantly complain about the titles had any talent or intelligence, they would have started a thread. But, their only talents are: eating, farting, complaining, and hallucinating that they know anything about theater, evidenced by the temerity to refer to performers by their first names or initials.

by Anonymousreply 27January 4, 2022 10:12 PM

R25 - yep I also thought it was him!

by Anonymousreply 28January 4, 2022 10:19 PM

Someone's gotta shoehorn Lisa Cron to one of these thread titles if only so we get:

"I showed up for Lisa Kron and all I got was this lousy Omicron!"

by Anonymousreply 29January 4, 2022 10:26 PM

Oh yeah, r19? Where's *her* "...is DEAD to me!" thread?

by Anonymousreply 30January 4, 2022 10:37 PM

Chicago leads the way . Yay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 4, 2022 10:47 PM

Flying Over Sunset closing a month early on 1/16

by Anonymousreply 32January 4, 2022 11:07 PM

Shocked...

by Anonymousreply 33January 4, 2022 11:09 PM

And don’t forget Paradise Square is coming

by Anonymousreply 34January 4, 2022 11:11 PM

ONCE could be sold as a romance between two sexy young leads.

KIMBERLY/AKIMBO is a romance between a dying teenager who looks like ***SPOILER ALERT*** a 70 year old woman and a geeky teenaged boy. Try selling that to the bus & tunnel theatre parties.

by Anonymousreply 35January 4, 2022 11:13 PM

The pearl clutching over Kimberly is hilarious. The same sorts of small minded thinking was written about Fun Home and Band's Visit and Dear Evan Hanson. The days of Golden Rainbow are long gone, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 36January 4, 2022 11:25 PM

Garth's musical isn't delaying because of Covid, believe me...

by Anonymousreply 37January 4, 2022 11:26 PM

And next to normal also produced by valdemort

by Anonymousreply 38January 4, 2022 11:50 PM

Speaking of Doubtfire, what happens to the IATSE requirement that once you officially close, you have to load out the set. Even if you are re-opening. Does that apply here?

by Anonymousreply 39January 4, 2022 11:52 PM

Who is pushing for Golden Rainbows? I saw The Band’s Visit three times and Fun Home four times , but for me Evan Hanson and Kimberly Akimbo seemed calculated and amateurish. Just because people don’t like the same shows doesn’t mean they are stuck in the past.

Btw, you couldn’t have a more reliable marker for Eldergay status than using the phrase “pearl clutching.”

by Anonymousreply 40January 5, 2022 12:13 AM

Doubtfire ISN'T closing, it's on a hiatus. Try to keep up, r39. Shows used to go on a summer hiatus a lot as recently as the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 41January 5, 2022 12:14 AM

More recently than *70 years ago*, shows have announced delays and temporary closings never to re-open. Try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 42January 5, 2022 12:17 AM

There is no such thing as hiatus as far as the unions are concerned. If your show is not closed, you have to keep paying your employees. That's Black & White. The show's statement was clear that in order to do this, they closed the show, and they will re-open in 9 weeks. Try to read r41.

by Anonymousreply 43January 5, 2022 12:17 AM

It's unclear from the publicity. They're saying closing and not closing.

The Times article said:

[quote] Kevin McCollum, a veteran Broadway producer whose previous credits include “Rent” and “Avenue Q,” said he would close the musical comedy beginning Jan. 10, with a plan to reopen on March 14. The move will cost 115 people their jobs for that period; McCollum said he is committed to rehiring those who want to return.

But the headline was:

[quote] ‘Mrs. Doubtfire’ on Broadway Is Pausing to Avoid Closing

PS r41, r42 and r43, you're all being very rude. Try to be nice.

by Anonymousreply 44January 5, 2022 12:26 AM

"Rehiring those who want to return" means they are no longer hired and can take other work. So it's not a hiatus.

by Anonymousreply 45January 5, 2022 12:28 AM

So do they have to load out and then load back in?

by Anonymousreply 46January 5, 2022 12:29 AM

That's IATSE for you....

Always looking for loads...

by Anonymousreply 47January 5, 2022 2:23 AM

Greg Kinnear's creepy acting. Rolls eyes. Did he ever host a game show?

by Anonymousreply 48January 5, 2022 2:28 AM

Sorry, "acting".

by Anonymousreply 49January 5, 2022 2:28 AM

Is Greg creepy as Atticus Finch? Or just in general, r48? I think he's kinda cute.

by Anonymousreply 50January 5, 2022 3:10 AM

Miss Kellerman...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 5, 2022 3:20 AM

I like Sally Kellerman. What's she like to work with?

by Anonymousreply 52January 5, 2022 3:28 AM

[quote]For me Evan Hanson and Kimberly Akimbo seemed calculated and amateurish.

Thanks for sharing, but that has nothing to do with the discussion of the commercial viability on Broadway of shows like DEAR EVAN HANSEN and KIMBERLY AKIMBO. The point being made was that DEH and THE BAND'S VISIT and FUN HOME were hits despite the fact that they're not typical Broadway shows (whatever that means anymore).

by Anonymousreply 53January 5, 2022 3:32 AM

has anyone heard from Merle Louise recently? She seems to have dropped off the industry radar. I hope that wonderful woman is off somewhere climbing a pyramid, trekking a jungle, or exploring a new horizon

by Anonymousreply 54January 5, 2022 3:33 AM

[quote]I hope that wonderful woman is off somewhere climbing a pyramid, trekking a jungle, or exploring a new horizon.

"The head monk there is a very good friend of Auntie Mame's, and perhaps he'll let you ring the temple bells that bring the monks to prayer."

by Anonymousreply 55January 5, 2022 4:47 AM

[quote] Who is pushing for Golden Rainbows?

Is that like Golden Showers? I think there’s an Off-Broadway director who might be interested.

by Anonymousreply 56January 5, 2022 8:31 AM

[quote]Greg Kinnear's creepy acting. Rolls eyes. Did he ever host a game show?

He hosted TALK SOUP* on E! in the early '90s. I was in middle school then and thought he was so hot! Adorable personality, too.

*In the 2000s, it was revamped as THE SOUP with Joel McHale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 5, 2022 10:04 AM

Why would ANY show want to come to Broadway right now? I get that sometimes, once the button's been pushed, there's no un-pushing it. But even if Kimberly Akimbo was a guaranteed hit, I would think they'd want to wait for 2023 at the very earliest.

by Anonymousreply 58January 5, 2022 10:08 AM

Greg kinnear? Did anyone say Gregg kinnear?

by Anonymousreply 59January 5, 2022 10:48 AM

Is Derek Hough still looking for an available theater for Singing In The Rain?

by Anonymousreply 60January 5, 2022 10:55 AM

I wish Richard Thomas was playing Atticus on broadway instead of the upcoming tour.

by Anonymousreply 61January 5, 2022 12:30 PM

R61 how come?

by Anonymousreply 62January 5, 2022 12:39 PM

I'm not r61 but I'm guessing because he's a better actor.

by Anonymousreply 63January 5, 2022 12:43 PM

R50 I couldn't stand his performance in As Good as it Gets with his puppy dog eyes and smirky mouth movements. I don't know what that was supposed to be. Still a good movie mostly thanks to the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 64January 5, 2022 12:52 PM

[quote]I couldn't stand his performance in As Good as it Gets with his puppy dog eyes and smirky mouth movements. I don't know what that was supposed to be.

Endearing.

by Anonymousreply 65January 5, 2022 12:59 PM

Kinnear’s bio only gives tv and movie credits so I’m wondering if he’s ever been on stage before. I know the show shutdown on Tuesday and Wed afternoon probably to give him more time onstage before they put him in front of an audience.

by Anonymousreply 66January 5, 2022 1:21 PM

r58, I agree. I can't imagine a producer or investor wanting to attempt a new Broadway show in these times. It wouldn't surprise me if an expensive and risky project like FUNNY GIRL isn't postponed. But I guess they're all waiting a few weeks to see where we are with Omicron.

by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2022 1:22 PM

I think we’re all hoping that after this surge things calm down and we get back on track by mid Feb. At least we have the vaccines and, for most, Omicron is no worse than a bad cold.

by Anonymousreply 68January 5, 2022 1:27 PM

But a lot of deplorable tourists can't get in if they don't have the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 69January 5, 2022 1:31 PM

So how will "A Strange Loop" fare?

by Anonymousreply 70January 5, 2022 1:34 PM

[quote]But a lot of deplorable tourists can't get in if they don't have the vaccine.

And New Yorkers wonder why they are despised by much of the country. They are so elitist!

by Anonymousreply 71January 5, 2022 1:39 PM

I recently watched Jeremy O. Harris in Emily in Paris on Netflix. I hope he’s a better playwright than actor.

by Anonymousreply 72January 5, 2022 1:40 PM

What other major and/or middling movies are set to become middling musicals?

We've got Back to the Future on its way, Devil Wears Prada, Some Like It Hot, Flamingo Kid, Like Water for Chocolate, Trading Places, 13 Going on 30 [italic] and [/italic] 17 Again (same songwriters for those last two!), Broadway Vacation (based all those Vacation movies), Water for Elephants (book by Rick Elice), Mr. Holland's Opus (book, lyrics and direction by BD Wong), along with War of the Roses (as a comedy, not a musical, and directed by Jason Alexander)

Oh, Broadway

by Anonymousreply 73January 5, 2022 1:44 PM

It seems like we should all read this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 5, 2022 1:52 PM

Mr Holland’s Opus might actually make a good musical.

by Anonymousreply 75January 5, 2022 2:36 PM

What about The Turning Point with Katrina Lenk in the Anne Bancroft role?

by Anonymousreply 76January 5, 2022 2:38 PM

Mary Poppins and Phantom are cutting two performances a week in London for the time being. Could Broadway shows afford to do this?

by Anonymousreply 77January 5, 2022 2:54 PM

R72-He's pretty bad at both professions.

by Anonymousreply 78January 5, 2022 4:01 PM

"Company" Actor Is Reunited with Stranger Who Bought Him Tickets to See Patti LuPone 15 Years Ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 5, 2022 4:09 PM

After the holidays, Broadway looks ahead to a challenging winter:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 5, 2022 4:10 PM

Is Katrina Lenk so good that producers would want to build more musicals around her?

by Anonymousreply 81January 5, 2022 4:12 PM

Tony Yazbeck and Atticus Ware tap dance in a new clip from "Flying Over Sunset":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 5, 2022 4:13 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1975, "The Wiz" opened at the Majestic Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 83January 5, 2022 4:13 PM

Who ever thought that the proper dance form to express Cary Grant's character would be tap?

by Anonymousreply 84January 5, 2022 4:15 PM

[quote]And New Yorkers wonder why they are despised by much of the country. They are so elitist!

мой член, твой мудак.

by Anonymousreply 85January 5, 2022 4:17 PM

R76. Great idea. I would believe Lenk as a washed up ballerina.

by Anonymousreply 86January 5, 2022 5:08 PM

Was the tap dancing element for the Cary character there before Tony Yazbeck was cast?

by Anonymousreply 87January 5, 2022 5:41 PM

I don't know the current status but The Turning Point has been optioned for the stage before. I think there was even talk way back when of Patti as Bancroft and Bernadette as MacLaine. And yes, I said way back when.

by Anonymousreply 88January 5, 2022 5:44 PM

R88. Let’s go back even earlier when Ann Reinking and Donna McKechnie were mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 89January 5, 2022 5:45 PM

[quote]Is Katrina Lenk so good that producers would want to build more musicals around her?

No,

by Anonymousreply 90January 5, 2022 6:35 PM

Maybe it's all the flop collectors inciting this, but there seems to be a rising sentiment that Flying Over Sunset is some underrated masterpiece. It is - to be generous - a beautiful-looking misfire. I didn't regret seeing it, but for all of the emotional points in the characters' lives that are explored, it's a chilly and bloodless show. At least you do get to see Robert Sella bury his face in Tony Yazbeck's ass at one point, so it's not a total loss.

by Anonymousreply 91January 5, 2022 6:37 PM

73: You forgot Mr. Saturday Night.

by Anonymousreply 92January 5, 2022 7:40 PM

Is Tony’s ass naked at that point, r91?

by Anonymousreply 93January 5, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote] even talk way back when of Patti as Bancroft

The thought of Klutzi LuPone playing a ballet dancer is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 94January 5, 2022 7:50 PM

My head is spinning at the thought of Patti and Bernie working together. Who would get top billing?

by Anonymousreply 95January 5, 2022 7:52 PM

There's also "The Princess Bride".

by Anonymousreply 96January 5, 2022 7:55 PM

Isn't "The Princess Bride" dead and buried? And speaking of Adam Guettel, is he writing these days? A shame if he's not.

by Anonymousreply 97January 5, 2022 7:58 PM

Well this got a chuckle from me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 5, 2022 8:24 PM

[quote] Is Tony’s ass naked at that point, [R91]?

Alas, no. It's some chaotic stage business that results in that moment. But Tony is shirtless in a swim suit later on. I still can't say it's enough to recommend the show.

by Anonymousreply 99January 5, 2022 9:00 PM

I thought I read somewhere that David Yazbek was going to now do the score for "The Princess Bride". He at least has a sense of humor, unlike works of Guettel.

by Anonymousreply 100January 5, 2022 9:23 PM

Are Tony and David Yazbeck related?

by Anonymousreply 101January 5, 2022 10:15 PM

Their last names are spelled differently.

by Anonymousreply 102January 5, 2022 10:21 PM

You're probably right about Guettel's lack of humor, r100, but I really love the music he writes and I'm sorry the Goldman collaboration didn't work out --and that he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I don't know enough of Yazbeck's work to have an opinion.

by Anonymousreply 103January 5, 2022 10:21 PM

David Yazbek (no "c" like Tony Yazbeck) wrote "Full Monty", "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" (probably his best), "Women on the Verger of a Nervous Breakdown" (good score, misguided production), "The Band's Visit" and "Tootsie" (probably his weakest).

by Anonymousreply 104January 5, 2022 10:55 PM

"Verge" not "Verger"

by Anonymousreply 105January 5, 2022 10:55 PM

The Turning Point done as an open air site specific work in the piazza at Lincoln Center could be very cool. Imagine like a ten minute battle/ballet scene of them going at each other.

by Anonymousreply 106January 5, 2022 11:58 PM

Bernadette Peters in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

Call Telecharge today!

by Anonymousreply 107January 6, 2022 12:22 AM

That is my show!

by Anonymousreply 108January 6, 2022 12:23 AM

I always thought it was funny that Best Little Whorehouse did the Tonys without any women. It looked like an average night at a 70s gay bar.

And the advertising for the show was heavily censored. On the side of buses, it read The Best Little *house in Texas.

You can also hear some censorship going on in the below clip at 2:10 and 2:23.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 6, 2022 12:34 AM

Encores should explore THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC.

In a season that includes ANNIE WARBUCKS and BRING BACK BIRDIE.

It can't be worse than some of their recent seasons. HEY LOOK ME OVER!, I'm looking at you.

by Anonymousreply 110January 6, 2022 1:04 AM

That’s a great fun idea. I bet people would go.

Imagine all those bitter cackling queens. (Oh wait it would be just like here.)

by Anonymousreply 111January 6, 2022 1:07 AM

[quote]You're probably right about Guettel's lack of humor, [R100], but I really love the music he writes and I'm sorry the Goldman collaboration didn't work out --and that he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Wasn't Guettel fairly recently reported to be seriously working on one or two new projects? Sorry I can't remember any details.

by Anonymousreply 112January 6, 2022 1:36 AM

Speaking of WEHT . . . Norbert Leo Butz?

by Anonymousreply 113January 6, 2022 1:36 AM

Or Matt Morrison (keeping in the Guettel lane)?

by Anonymousreply 114January 6, 2022 1:42 AM

[quote] Speaking of WEHT . . . Norbert Leo Butz?

He’s doing tv. In 2019, he had a good role in the miniseries about Fosse and Verdon. And he’s now in the tv series “Debris.”

by Anonymousreply 115January 6, 2022 1:56 AM

R113, Norbert was most recently a regular on that NBC sci-fi show, "Debris," that got canceled last spring.

by Anonymousreply 116January 6, 2022 2:10 AM

I loved LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA. But I was underwhelmed by Adam Guettel's MYTHS AND HYMNS, which Master Voices did last year. Meh.

He wrote the score for TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD on Bway, which I haven't seen. He's also making a musical based on DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, at least per Wiki.

He's still a lot more interesting to me than Jeanine Tesori, the NYT Musical It Girl of the moment. (Sorry, Jeanine.)

by Anonymousreply 117January 6, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote]He's also making a musical based on DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES

Broadway could use a laugh riot

by Anonymousreply 118January 6, 2022 2:30 AM

Remember when we all wanted Tony Yazbeck to jizz in our holes…?

by Anonymousreply 119January 6, 2022 2:30 AM

Adam Guettel has written four (!) full-length musical scores since Piazza, none of which have been presented the public.

The Princess Bride (rip), Days of Wine and Roses, Billions and the Washington Irving project (which he personally invented new instruments for, no less).

It says a lot about the state of the art that that’s the case.

by Anonymousreply 120January 6, 2022 2:50 AM

How is it then that someone like Tom Kitt has had two (quite bad) new musical scores in NYC this past fall?

I liked NEXT TO NORMAL, but that's about it. FLYING OVER SUNSET and THE VISITOR... what's left to say?

by Anonymousreply 121January 6, 2022 2:55 AM

MAKE KITT’S CLIT QUIT DAT SHIT! —Variety

by Anonymousreply 122January 6, 2022 2:59 AM

I'm assuming BILLIONS is based on West's A Cool Million. I thought he was doing that with a grant from Signature (VA) and Ted Shen. I love his work (including Myths and Hymns, although not the Master Voices version) and wish we could see more of it.

by Anonymousreply 123January 6, 2022 3:00 AM

I can only guess that Guettel himself isn't pushing hard for these projects to go further for now, perhaps knowing that they need more work. I think he's known to be something of a perfectionist about his music. And he's never struck me as especially ambitious (not a criticism) and lord knows he doesn't need the money, what with grandpa's royalties flooding in daily, even divided amongst all the grandkids.

by Anonymousreply 124January 6, 2022 3:04 AM

It's interesting that there's a musical based on FREAKY FRIDAY, the much-loved children's book by Guettel's mother, Mary Rodgers....

The score is by Tom Kitt.

by Anonymousreply 125January 6, 2022 3:08 AM

Wasn't that TheaterWorksUSA, r125?

by Anonymousreply 126January 6, 2022 3:13 AM

Didn't see FREAKY FRIDAY. I'm sure you're right. It's not the worst idea for a musical.

by Anonymousreply 127January 6, 2022 3:21 AM

Why is Guettel accepting grant money when he has steady income from grandaddy Richard Rodgers, also from his Mom's "Once Upon a Mattress" and other things?

by Anonymousreply 128January 6, 2022 4:29 AM

Mary Rodgers wrote the original novel of Freaky Friday.

by Anonymousreply 129January 6, 2022 4:37 AM

[quote] Remember when we all wanted Tony Yazbeck to jizz in our holes…?

Yes. I call that “yesterday.”

by Anonymousreply 130January 6, 2022 4:43 AM

r79, I love that story--it's great to hear stories of people simply being nice and generous these days--but that People article is really poorly written. The other guy shared the story on Twitter and Instagram, and it's a much clearer read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 6, 2022 4:46 AM

I've never wanted Yazbeck to jizz anywhere near me. He's so leaden. Now that guy who played Carl-Magnus opposite CZJ... Yes, please.

by Anonymousreply 132January 6, 2022 5:04 AM

Aaron Lazar. Yes, please.

by Anonymousreply 133January 6, 2022 5:59 AM

Indeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134January 6, 2022 6:13 AM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 6, 2022 6:14 AM

I am afraid William Goldman lost his writing skills at some point late in his life. I read a screenplay he wrote for a Shazam movie that never happened. The script was just godawful.

by Anonymousreply 136January 6, 2022 9:40 AM

On another note, has anyone heard of Covid transmission in Broadway audiences? It seems to be mostly the actors, but do we know that audiences have been safe? Obviously, the industry would prefer not to discuss the risks and the effectiveness of masking and vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 137January 6, 2022 11:36 AM

Audiences are getting infected.

by Anonymousreply 138January 6, 2022 11:42 AM

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES seems to be a terrible idea for a musical. The movie (which I love) is endlessly depressing and the lead characters spend most of the plot drunk. I won't say it's a Why musical and open that can of worms, but it certainly is a head scratcher. Nonetheless, I can see O'Hara and Pasquale having a go at the leads.

by Anonymousreply 139January 6, 2022 11:56 AM

Re Guettel, "grant money" may be a slight misnomer. Ted Shen and Signature commissioned three new works; Guettel got one of the commissions, and I don't recall who got the other two, but I think those bore fruit. In any case, why shouldn't he be paid for his work?

Sondheim accepted prize money on several occasions, and he didn't need it either.

by Anonymousreply 140January 6, 2022 12:16 PM

The things I would do to Adam Guettel! 😛

by Anonymousreply 141January 6, 2022 12:29 PM

Wine and Roses is/was a Rudin project, wasn't it? I imagine it could be mired in a legal mess now.

by Anonymousreply 142January 6, 2022 12:30 PM

New to these threads—just came in to ask if anyone knows of a PPV streaming service (not requiring subscription) that is playing current Broadway/West End shows? Asking because I want to screen my show-loving Mom something for her birthday tomorrow, and the restrictions where we live don’t allow us to go out.

by Anonymousreply 143January 6, 2022 1:15 PM

Broadway On Demand on streaming for one, R143.

by Anonymousreply 144January 6, 2022 2:04 PM

[quote] Wine and Roses is/was a Rudin project, wasn't it? I imagine it could be mired in a legal mess now.

Avoid legal messes by just changing the title and a few minor details.

by Anonymousreply 145January 6, 2022 2:08 PM

Henry Mancini's theme song from The Days of Wine and Roses was so memorable (to us eldergays, at least), I wonder if it will be included in the score? The film never seems to be shown on TV.....as a matter of fact, I've never seen it, only remember the song from my childhood......could there be some legal issues?

by Anonymousreply 146January 6, 2022 2:12 PM

I saw the movie on TV (this century).

by Anonymousreply 147January 6, 2022 2:16 PM

[quote] On another note, has anyone heard of Covid transmission in Broadway audiences? It seems to be mostly the actors, but do we know that audiences have been safe? Obviously, the industry would prefer not to discuss the risks and the effectiveness of masking and vaccines.

I think it would be very hard to imagine that all of these casts and crews are getting infected and no one in the audience is leaving with Covid.

by Anonymousreply 148January 6, 2022 2:17 PM

It's a good thing Jonathan Groff isn't in a show. The audience might be covered in Covid spittle.

by Anonymousreply 149January 6, 2022 2:19 PM

[quote] Avoid legal messes by just changing the title and a few minor details.

Good thing Rudin isn't litigious

by Anonymousreply 150January 6, 2022 2:21 PM

[quote]We've got Back to the Future on its way, Devil Wears Prada, Some Like It Hot, Flamingo Kid, Like Water for Chocolate, Trading Places, 13 Going on 30 and 17 Again (same songwriters for those last two!), Broadway Vacation (based all those Vacation movies), Water for Elephants (book by Rick Elice), Mr. Holland's Opus (book, lyrics and direction by BD Wong)

Can someone explain the producers/creative teams' thinking here? Some of these titles are over 30 years old (but I'm not sure they all qualify as "classics"). Some were not particularly successful at the box office or critically acclaimed (Water for Elephants--why?)

The notion that recognizability translates into Bway success keeps being disproved over and over again, and yet.... here we go again.

by Anonymousreply 151January 6, 2022 2:22 PM

Days of Wine and Roses is shown on tcm a few times a year.

by Anonymousreply 152January 6, 2022 2:24 PM

They just interviewed producer Ken Davenport on the local news. Gotta say the man is hot.

by Anonymousreply 153January 6, 2022 2:25 PM

Signature Theatre Campaigns for “Jim Houghton Way” on W42nd St:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 6, 2022 2:31 PM

Welcoming Back Live Theater Doesn’t Mean Agreeing About All of It:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 6, 2022 2:34 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1974, "Liza" opened at the Winter Garden Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 156January 6, 2022 2:35 PM

[quote] Can someone explain the producers/creative teams' thinking here? Some of these titles are over 30 years old (but I'm not sure they all qualify as "classics"). Some were not particularly successful at the box office or critically acclaimed (Water for Elephants--why?)

r151 I'll give it a shot. Happily, they're not [italic] all [/italic] trading on familiarity and the fan-base. Perhaps some writers and producers here feel there is actually a good story worth musicalizing. The cash-grab titles often fail but the cult-film and art-house properties (like [italic] Onceiii and [italic] Hairspray [/italic] can yield good results.

by Anonymousreply 157January 6, 2022 2:36 PM

Water for Elephants intrigues me far more than any of the other titles.

by Anonymousreply 158January 6, 2022 2:38 PM

r146, why in the world would you imagine that Guettel (or any other composer) would include Mancini's theme in his score?

by Anonymousreply 159January 6, 2022 2:46 PM

Becaus the Chocolate Factory musical added in songs from the movie.

by Anonymousreply 160January 6, 2022 2:50 PM

But Guettel would never, ever allow the Mancini theme to be part of his show. I was shocked when a couple of those far superior songs from the CHOCOLATE FACTORY movie were added to the stage score. I imagine the producers probably had to put a gun to Marc Shaiman's head to make it happen, and he only agreed because it was phrased as an ultimatum -- either we add those songs or we don't produce the show on Broadway. Given the same choice, I would bet good money that Guettel would say, "Fine, then we won't do the show on Broadway."

by Anonymousreply 161January 6, 2022 2:59 PM

Would Guettel oppose some R&H trunk songs?

by Anonymousreply 162January 6, 2022 3:01 PM

They used up Rodgers' trunk songs on Rex and Mama. He was in pretty bad shape at the end.

by Anonymousreply 163January 6, 2022 3:09 PM

[Quote] He was in pretty bad shape at the end.

I bet many an ingenue heaved a sigh of relief.

by Anonymousreply 164January 6, 2022 3:11 PM

Is anyone going to Slave Play this time around? It's almost over already.

by Anonymousreply 165January 6, 2022 3:13 PM

Kanye West.

by Anonymousreply 166January 6, 2022 3:14 PM

My old buddy Malcolm Gets just posted some photos of he and his long-time bf on Insta (under a handle I won't reveal). I haven't seen him in awhile but he looks very healthy and happy to me.

by Anonymousreply 167January 6, 2022 3:15 PM

His long time love isn't Boyd Gaines, is he?

by Anonymousreply 168January 6, 2022 3:20 PM

Here's how bad the NYTimes arts coverage has become. They're reviewing musical theatre in Paris. Yes, you read that right. Theatre in that renown international musical theater center....WTF? Seriously -- there's a HUGE story right in front of them throughout the US, but they waste space on this? How out of it are they? If that article with Jesse and Maya talking about the Fall shows wasn't navel-gazing enough...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 6, 2022 3:34 PM

Saw WINE AND ROSES recently and it holds up beautifully, except for some DT scenes that Lemmon overacts with ghastly relish. But Remick is exquisite. But as a musical? Nah . . .

by Anonymousreply 170January 6, 2022 3:36 PM

Malcolm's issue wouldn't be apparent in photos, especially those specifically curated for social media.

by Anonymousreply 171January 6, 2022 3:47 PM

Mrs. Doubtfire....Tick....Tick....

by Anonymousreply 172January 6, 2022 3:58 PM

Rob McClure has been out of Doubtfire. I hope he makes it back for what might be the last performances.

by Anonymousreply 173January 6, 2022 4:03 PM

Maybe Rob can be the stand-by for Billy Crystal in the Spring. Billy surely won't do 8 performance a week.

by Anonymousreply 174January 6, 2022 4:18 PM

r169 that is embarrassing. The NYT is leaning in to its PC watchdog role harder and harder and it's a big turnoff. Protecting us from French clichés? [italic] Mon dieu! [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 175January 6, 2022 6:14 PM

That Best Little Whorehouse clip at R109 just reminds of us all of the brilliance of Tommy Tune in his heyday. Not sure exactly what derailed him, but I suspect drugs.

And I wonder how many of those whorehouse chorus boys lived to see the mid-1990s...

by Anonymousreply 176January 6, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote]Billy surely won't do 8 performance a week.

As he gets points as an author and also, presumably, as a producer, he'll definitely show up for all eight performances.

by Anonymousreply 177January 6, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote]just reminds of us all of the brilliance of Tommy Tune in his heyday. Not sure exactly what derailed him, but I suspect drugs.

I have it on good authority that Goodtime Charlie/Busker Alley/Buskers or whatever they ended up calling it, was derailed because he had a "lover" as an understudy who couldn't dance. Tune broke his foot and the understudy had to go on, book in hand, with one of the chorus boys doing the lead character choreography.

Also, Tune was supposed to bring Dr. Doolittle to Broadway. He even sang a song in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Whatever happened to that?

by Anonymousreply 178January 6, 2022 7:57 PM

Goodtime Charley is a separate show from the 70s that has nothing to do with Busker Alley or Tommy Tune.

by Anonymousreply 179January 6, 2022 8:02 PM

There was even a big sign for a while outside the St. James Theatre where "Busker Alley" was supposed to open not too long thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 180January 6, 2022 8:05 PM

Mr Saturday night isn't doing Wednesday matinees at all, only 7 shows a week, it looks like.

and the last row of the orchestra is $199

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181January 6, 2022 8:06 PM

Did anyone see the Harry Chapin jukebox musical "The Night That Made America Famous?" Chapin himself was in it but there were giant video screens and the concept itself was probably ahead of its time. It did have three of the best singers I remembered hearing on Broadway, Carson favorite Kelly Garrett, super dreamy Gilbert Price and Delores Hall who was something of a Jennifer Holliday lite., Most critics rightfully complained about how bad the songs were but I was a young kid and I really enjoyed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182January 6, 2022 8:10 PM

^^ 2 producers. ^^ the amazing Lynne Thigpen ^^ $11 for a ticket

by Anonymousreply 183January 6, 2022 8:12 PM

Even though Harry was the top draw, I couldn't take my eyes off his brother, Tom, who was the star of the ABC kids show Make a Wish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184January 6, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote]Goodtime Charley is a separate show from the 70s that has nothing to do with Busker Alley or Tommy Tune.

My error. It was called Stage Door Charley.

Management regrets the error.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185January 6, 2022 8:17 PM

Busker Alley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186January 6, 2022 8:18 PM

David Warren Gibson was Tune’s understudy and he’s a dancer so..........?

by Anonymousreply 187January 6, 2022 8:18 PM

Coming up on "Talk Soup"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188January 6, 2022 8:38 PM

David Warren Gibson. That’s a lean drink of water. Anyone had him?

by Anonymousreply 189January 6, 2022 8:53 PM

Goodtime Charley was about Charles, the Dauphin of France, and his relationship with Joan of Arc. I had friends who thought it was great, and it did have a few half decent numbers, but I never got past Joel Grey as the crown prince of France and Ann Reinking as Joan. That's right. Ann Reinking as Joan of Arc. Tapping her way into war and your heart.

To be fair, the show had a difficult development and preview period. But I liked Dr. Jazz in previews much better.

by Anonymousreply 190January 6, 2022 9:07 PM

I saw Goodtime Charlie when it tried out in Boston. Totally forgettable except for the gorgeous sets by Ruben Ter-Artunian and costumes by Willa Kim, all based on Maxfield Parrish.

by Anonymousreply 191January 6, 2022 9:34 PM

WHET Tom Chapin? What a gorgeous hunk of man he was.

by Anonymousreply 192January 6, 2022 9:35 PM

I saw Busker Alley in Akron (or maybe it was Cleveland). It was something between very concepty (all I remember of the set is rows of lampposts and nothing else) and a very standard book musical. There was a dog puppet that the audience adored and very little else that landed.

by Anonymousreply 193January 6, 2022 9:40 PM

What about the Tommy Tune edition of Bye Bye Birdie? Was it ever intended to get to Broadway? Was Tommy believable as a straight man?

by Anonymousreply 194January 6, 2022 9:51 PM

Aurora Spiderwoman to the rescue (including footage of the dog puppet and a mini Tommy Tune).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195January 6, 2022 9:52 PM

[quote]I saw Goodtime Charlie when it tried out in Boston. Totally forgettable except for the gorgeous sets by Ruben Ter-Artunian and costumes by Willa Kim, all based on Maxfield Parrish.

Yeah, beautiful sets - circular with lots of columns and steps: perfect for a dancing Joan of Arc. NOT.

by Anonymousreply 196January 6, 2022 9:54 PM

Why would anyone waste money on that piece of shit Slave Play?

by Anonymousreply 197January 6, 2022 9:56 PM

Are we sure Tommy Tune didn't actually shoot himself in the foot during Busker Alley because he knew what a POS it was?

Was that the horrible Marcia Lewis in that clip?

by Anonymousreply 198January 6, 2022 9:58 PM

I always felt Tune looks like he knows Busker Alley is a disaster in that footage. There is a glazed, sort of dead look in his eyes, like he's wishing to be anywhere else.

And yes, it's Marcia Lewis, getting upstaged by a puppet.

by Anonymousreply 199January 6, 2022 10:01 PM

That 1990 tour of Birdie co-starred Reinking, Marcia Lewis, Susan Egan and Marc Kudisch among others. Of course it was intended for Broadway. I used to know all the dirt about why it closed out of town but I'm old now and I forget.

by Anonymousreply 200January 6, 2022 10:02 PM

Didn't that tour go on and on, R200 and Rosie was eventually Lucie Arnaz and then Lenore Nemetz? Of course it was intended for Broadway as what it was, a tour coming in, like the Goulet Camelot tour and the La Mancha with Sheena Easton was intended to be the same thing. Who are the stars we have now who would do a musical revival tour, and what would sell?

by Anonymousreply 201January 6, 2022 10:08 PM

The rumor was that Tune faked his injury so that the Weisslers could cash the insurance check and close the show out of town. Sort of a real life version of the show in All That Jazz.

by Anonymousreply 202January 6, 2022 10:15 PM

[quote]Was Tommy believable as a straight man?

Oh fuck no!

by Anonymousreply 203January 6, 2022 10:17 PM

Tommy Tune wasn't believable as a human being.

by Anonymousreply 204January 6, 2022 10:20 PM

Reinking then Lenora. No Lucie. Lucie did My One and Only on tour opposite Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 205January 6, 2022 10:25 PM

r196, despite the casting Ann Reinking as Joan of Arc, there was very little actual dancing in GOODTIME CHARLEY except for the occasional quadrille and pavan.

by Anonymousreply 206January 6, 2022 10:26 PM

When the curtain went up on GT the audience gasped ((MARY!)). The set really was that beautiful. Reinking had one dance number but the set got in her way. Grey was very pixie-ish. It wasn’t a bad show but there was just something missing that would have made it great.

by Anonymousreply 207January 6, 2022 10:30 PM

Goodtime Charlie also had superb orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick. Made the songs sound SO much better.

by Anonymousreply 208January 6, 2022 10:31 PM

Those Busker Alley costumes were dreadful; who did them?

Was that DL fave Michael Baresse in the chorus?

And why all the hate for Marcia Lewis? One of the loveliest women. Not her fault her material here was shite.

by Anonymousreply 209January 6, 2022 10:43 PM

It's Goodtime Charley, not Charlie. I have restrained myself from shouting.

by Anonymousreply 210January 6, 2022 10:46 PM

Was her voice ever this strong again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 6, 2022 10:46 PM

R211. Nope. She sounded great in the theatre and on the album.

by Anonymousreply 212January 6, 2022 10:51 PM

[quote] She sounded great in the theatre and on the album.

Then she became Fosse’s mistress and it all went to hell.

by Anonymousreply 213January 6, 2022 10:53 PM

Wish I could find color photos...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 6, 2022 10:56 PM

How does it...end?

by Anonymousreply 215January 6, 2022 10:57 PM

[quote]Was that DL fave Michael Baresse in the chorus?

Berresse, yes.

[quote]And why all the hate for Marcia Lewis? One of the loveliest women. Not her fault her material here was shite.

Beats me, r209. Marcia was a doll

by Anonymousreply 216January 6, 2022 11:08 PM

Marcia was a replacement Miss Hannigan in the original Annie and she was the only one nearly as good as Alice Ghostley, the first and best replacement. She was also great as Mama Morton in the original cast of the Chicago revival and numerous other shows, either as original cast or a replacement. Long and respected career. She was always great. Don't understand the disrespect.

by Anonymousreply 217January 6, 2022 11:19 PM

the clips at r195 trigger so many thoughts, mostly why do set designer like streetlamp so much when none of them has ever figured out how to make one that doesn't wiggle?

Also Tommy can do straight better than he can do British. Why did they make Darcie dress like Eliza Doolittle, is that the only cockney woman any costume designer has ever seen?

by Anonymousreply 218January 6, 2022 11:22 PM

Marcia was in Tommy's Grease, Tommy's Birdie and Tommy's Alley.

by Anonymousreply 219January 6, 2022 11:23 PM

DL is the only place in the world where you can find disrespect for people like the wonderful Marcia Lewis. We do have some freakin' sickos posting here.

Tommy Tune was at the top of the showbiz heap during the period of THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS, MY ONE AND ONLY, NINE, GRAND HOTEL, and THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES. Then came the disaster of THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC, rumored to have been caused partly by a major drug problem, followed (not necessarily in order ) by the BYE, BYE BIRDIE tour which aimed for Broadway but never made it, BUSKER ALLEY (he was rumored to have faked that injury for insurance purposes), the horrible Broadway revisal of GREASE that he "supervised" but didn't director or choreograph, the DOCTOR DOLITTLE tour (he wasn't the original star but he took over the show), that Off-Broadway one-man show for which he got terrible publicity because he had a plant in the audience every night pretending to be his old dance teacher or some such nonsense.....and so on. Seems like there was some sort of major problem with everything he tried to do after WILL ROGERS. I remember that he even canceled, at VERY short notice, a one-man show he was supposed to do on Fire Island sometime in the early 2000s. Who knows what was going on with him during all that time, but there were lots of rumors.

by Anonymousreply 220January 6, 2022 11:35 PM

[quote]Reinking had one dance number but the set got in her way.

I think she was originally intended to dance more but she wasn't fully recovered from breaking her back in Over Here! As it was they delayed the production for six months to give her time to heal. As I posted above, the show had numerous problems early on.

Grey was very pixie-ish.

Just what everyone wants to see. A pixie king of France.

by Anonymousreply 221January 6, 2022 11:37 PM

Didn't Tune direct/choreograph some disco musical (I think the set was a runway) that never made it out of workshops even though it was reportedly terrific?

by Anonymousreply 222January 6, 2022 11:42 PM

Reinking broke her back?!

by Anonymousreply 223January 6, 2022 11:50 PM

[quote]Reinking broke her back?!

Late in the run of Over Here! Her dance partner was supposed to lift her over his head and he dropped her. She broke/fractured several vertabrae. They weren't sure initially if she would walk again but fortunately there was no spinal cord involvement.

by Anonymousreply 224January 7, 2022 12:05 AM

Here's a Tommy Tune show that few recall, seen only in Chicago, starring Jeff Daniels and Rachel York, and a jukebox musical to boot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225January 7, 2022 12:06 AM

[quote] Who knows what was going on with him (Tommy Tune) during all that time, but there were lots of rumors.

Relapses. Stress followed by relapses into a decades-old drug problem.

by Anonymousreply 226January 7, 2022 12:10 AM

Wasn’t Tommy Tune going to direct the Barbara Cook show where she performed in a wheelchair on moving platforms?

But then she died.

by Anonymousreply 227January 7, 2022 12:11 AM

GOODTIME CHARLIE sounds like a Disney Channel sitcom that my niece used to watch.

by Anonymousreply 228January 7, 2022 12:12 AM

[quote] Marcia was in Tommy's Grease, Tommy's Birdie and Tommy's Alley.

Marcia wasn’t the only one in Tommy’s alley.

by Anonymousreply 229January 7, 2022 12:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230January 7, 2022 12:15 AM

Playbill article about Tweet above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231January 7, 2022 12:17 AM

I really can't imagine what sort of dancing I'd want to see Joan of Arc doing. Don't blame the sets!

by Anonymousreply 232January 7, 2022 12:28 AM

Tommy Tune always seems frozen in time with that awful 70s shag hairdo he's had for years. And the leathery fake tan. He really looked his best with short hair in The Boyfriend and My One and Only.

As for Marcia Lewis, she was a lovely performer and dear lady (I worked with her once), but if you'd never heard of her and only ever saw her in that horrifying Busker Alley clip upthread, how could you possibly say anything complimentary?

by Anonymousreply 233January 7, 2022 12:33 AM

Wasn't Marcia Lewis the original Mamma Morton in the revived CHICAGO at Encores and on Bway?

She was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 234January 7, 2022 12:36 AM

Marcia said Topol treated her like shit when they did Fiddler together. But I’m sure that had little to do with her and everything to do with him.

And, regarding the Fosse/Reinking post above, they were involved long before Goodtime Charley. Ann went into ACL and the original Chicago after GT.

by Anonymousreply 235January 7, 2022 12:49 AM

I too used to remember the backstage chatter surrounding Tune's Birdie tour that Gene Saks directed. Marc Kudisch I think spilled some tea in a Chatterbox once upon a time. It was his first breakout role (before he knew how to really sing properly, he admitted). Said there was a lot of drama on that tour interpersonally in the cast. Very clique-y. He also wildly overspent on leather jackets and boots...only to ship them home to his apartment where they were stolen. You can't make this shit up!

You can see a lot of pro-shot and bootleg clips of the tour online. Marilyn Cooper I believe began the tour as Mrs. Peterson, followed by Marcia Lewis. The physical production was a take-off of the original set designs from 1960...unfortunately, it wound up just looking cheap and erector-set-y.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236January 7, 2022 12:50 AM

The last good thing I saw Tune do (other than his stint on Arrested Development as Liza's brother) was a staged workshop of Easter Parade opposite Sandy Duncan at the Little Shubert in the late 90s. It was really wonderful despite some second act issues, but I guess the Berlin estate wouldn’t let it move forward.

by Anonymousreply 237January 7, 2022 12:51 AM

And I'll add to the chorus of Marcia Lewis supporters. She was a marvelous performer and a very sweet woman. Really elevated any production she was in (that unfortunate Busker Alley clip notwithstanding...!)

by Anonymousreply 238January 7, 2022 12:51 AM

I saw “Goodtime Charley.” It had several good elements, but they never gelled together. The sets were lovely, but they kept contrasting with the dour plot going on in front of them. Grey was a Catskills Dauphin, a jarring contrast to the drama around him. Reinking upstaged him every chance she got, and was the best thing in it. And the supporting Richard B. Shull and Susan Browning were both fun.

Originally, Broadway poster artist David Byrd, famous for his “Follies” poster, did art of Grey as Old King Cole, from the famous Maxfield Parrish mural in the St. Regis bar. It was used in a full-page ad in the Times one Sunday, then was mysteriously replaced by the figure with the trailing cloak. Too bad.

But then, how do you make a show fun, whose chief character ends up being burnt at the stake? Those pesky disparate elements just never did gel.

by Anonymousreply 239January 7, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote m]Tapping her way into war and your heart.

That didn’t happen. Reinking barely danced at all in Goodtime Charley, and certainly didn’t tap. Partly because Joan wasn’t intended to be a dancing role (though Charley was), and mainly because Reinking was still recovering from the injuries she got when she got dropped on her back during her final performance of “Over Here.”

by Anonymousreply 240January 7, 2022 12:56 AM

Marcia Lewis was also very good in "Rags", but you had to be quick to see it in previews, since it closed in like 4 regular performances. She had a nice duet with, I think, Dick Latessa, another Broadway honey.

by Anonymousreply 241January 7, 2022 1:00 AM

A question for Broadway gossip mavens: why didn't Tommy ever work with William Ivey Long again after William designed NINE?

by Anonymousreply 242January 7, 2022 1:02 AM

She could have tapped It's Too Darn Hot, r232.

by Anonymousreply 243January 7, 2022 1:04 AM

Revive Pills A-Poppin'!

by Anonymousreply 244January 7, 2022 1:06 AM

Oh what I'd pay to see Anne Miller and that highly-flammable bouffant tap her troubles away as Joan of Arc.

by Anonymousreply 245January 7, 2022 1:09 AM

Hi Liza r244!

by Anonymousreply 246January 7, 2022 1:09 AM

Shit! ANN Miller. Take away my card, fellas!

by Anonymousreply 247January 7, 2022 1:10 AM

Now I've seen everything- A Marcia Lewis Troll.

by Anonymousreply 248January 7, 2022 1:12 AM

Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

by Anonymousreply 249January 7, 2022 1:17 AM

Reinking had a great other-worldly quality in Goodtime Charley. She worked beautifully with Grey. Supposedly the show closed because Grey had a film commitment and needed a few months off but they couldn’t find a suitable replacement.

by Anonymousreply 250January 7, 2022 1:22 AM

I saw the Tune Birdie in SF on tour many years ago. The cast was terrific (other than Reinking who seemed a bit overwhelmed) and Spanish Rose was dreadfully staged. Tune was charming and the number they added for him was great as it showed off his long legs and strides as a dancer. I have a friend who was a chorus boy on that tour. I'll see if he has any dirt. Steve Zahn was also in it as Hugo.

by Anonymousreply 251January 7, 2022 1:38 AM

I'd love some dirt on Steve Zahn and/or Marc Kudisch, r251's friend.

by Anonymousreply 252January 7, 2022 2:07 AM

Osnes wiki

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253January 7, 2022 2:36 AM

[quote] GOODTIME CHARLIE sounds like a Disney Channel sitcom that my niece used to watch.

Good Luck Charlie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254January 7, 2022 2:51 AM

[quote]Supposedly the show closed because Grey had a film commitment and needed a few months off but they couldn’t find a suitable replacement.

That's what WP says but I think the producers didn't want to put any more money in it to keep it running. How hard is it to replace Joel Grey?

Remember the production was delayed several times, as mentioned above, so Grey's film commitment was real. The film was Buffalo Bill and the Indians, directed by Robert Altman and based on a play by Arthur Kopit, if anyone remember who he is.

by Anonymousreply 255January 7, 2022 3:08 AM

[quote]As for Marcia Lewis, she was a lovely performer and dear lady (I worked with her once), but if you'd never heard of her and only ever saw her in that horrifying Busker Alley clip upthread, how could you possibly say anything complimentary?

I guess I was assuming that no one would be foolish enough to judge her talent based on that one clip if they had never seen her in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 256January 7, 2022 3:12 AM

In addition to Marcia Lewis's stage performances, she had an absolutely great cabaret act that she performed at all the major venues in New York and around the country.

by Anonymousreply 257January 7, 2022 3:17 AM

[Quote] the Barbara Cook show where she performed in a wheelchair on moving platforms?

Is it mean that I wish this had gone ahead and been bootlegged?

by Anonymousreply 258January 7, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote]the Barbara Cook show where she performed in a wheelchair on moving platforms?

Not only was that show going to be directed by Tommy Tune, who has been involved with nothing but disappointments and disasters for the past 30 years or so, but it was "conceived" by one of Broadway's biggest frauds. And that's man's name is.....James Lapine. If you believe in God, thank Him that the show never happened.

by Anonymousreply 259January 7, 2022 3:36 AM

Didn’t Marcia song ‘No one Loves a Fairy when she’s 40’ in her cabaret act?

by Anonymousreply 260January 7, 2022 3:39 AM

Yes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 7, 2022 3:40 AM

Marcia had a face that was best seen at The Muny.

by Anonymousreply 262January 7, 2022 3:42 AM

Whoever is out there stanning for Marcia, these clips being posted are not helping your case.

by Anonymousreply 263January 7, 2022 3:43 AM

Actually, the Barbara Cook show started rehearsals but they found out Barbara couldn’t remember the lyrics and was often disoriented. They quietly put the show to rest.

by Anonymousreply 264January 7, 2022 4:00 AM

Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

by Anonymousreply 265January 7, 2022 4:03 AM

the dancer who dropped Annie was the late Johnny Mineo. It didn't come between them and they worked together again through the years.

Marcia Lewis was a great performer, but beyond that she was a good, kind, loving person. She died young, at 72. Deserved many more wonderful years. She was also a prolific letter writer and card sender, always with loving, generous words. She has a great solo called Nowadays...it's hard to find but worth it.

Many, many people on Broadway deserve our snark and bitchiness, but Marcia was a beautiful soul, missed by those of us who knew her.

by Anonymousreply 266January 7, 2022 4:10 AM

[quote]Actually, the Barbara Cook show started rehearsals but they found out Barbara couldn’t remember the lyrics and was often disoriented. They quietly put the show to rest.

I bought tickets for it.

by Anonymousreply 267January 7, 2022 4:12 AM

I would have been disoriented too being driven around on a motorized wheelchair on moving circular spinning platforms. Lapine always fucks everything up even when he has good ideas initially, which he didn't here.

by Anonymousreply 268January 7, 2022 4:22 AM

Surely they could have given Babs an ear piece.

by Anonymousreply 269January 7, 2022 4:23 AM

Oh R239, that David Byrd poster sounds terrific. Have you ever been able to find an image of it online?

by Anonymousreply 270January 7, 2022 4:31 AM

They should revive the wheelchair/moving platform idea with Liza!

by Anonymousreply 271January 7, 2022 4:40 AM

John Mineo was one of those wonderful character type dancers who always seemed to go from show to show. Dancers today are so generic and devoid of any personality.

by Anonymousreply 272January 7, 2022 4:40 AM

Shows today are so generic and devoid of any personality.

by Anonymousreply 273January 7, 2022 4:43 AM

It was Barbara Cook for Chrissakes! No concept needed! Just park her front and center and let her sing.

by Anonymousreply 274January 7, 2022 4:50 AM

I'm looking forward to the Sarah Silverman musical "The Bedwetter". I don't know of a single playwright or lyricist capable of doing standup, even badly. So this might be at least amusing. Or weird. But I have little hope for the musical score. Anyone humming anything from, say, Tootsie lately? Or ever?

by Anonymousreply 275January 7, 2022 4:56 AM

Two swings on at Music Man tonite. Everyone else was on. There seem to be fewer performance cancellations this week. I hope that’s a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 276January 7, 2022 4:56 AM

Rachelle Rak is devoid of personality!?

by Anonymousreply 277January 7, 2022 5:07 AM

R253

Do you think Osnes is cancelled?

I suspect she's too pretty, talented and well-liked to not get a second chance later on....but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 278January 7, 2022 5:13 AM

I don't see why her career would be over. Musical theatre performers don't exist on publicity in the same way that screen stars do.

by Anonymousreply 279January 7, 2022 5:30 AM

If Chad Kimball is cancelled then Laura Osnes should be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 280January 7, 2022 5:34 AM

She's not permanently cancelled for now. But at this point she has nearly aged out of her niche as a young ingenue and will not be seen very often in the future unless she can reinvent herself. Let's see how creative she actually is.

by Anonymousreply 281January 7, 2022 5:39 AM

Did Becky Luker reinvent herself?

by Anonymousreply 282January 7, 2022 5:44 AM

Karen Olivo should have been canceled 5 times by now, but she's headlining another reading....so why not Osnes?

by Anonymousreply 283January 7, 2022 5:52 AM

I don’t think it was John Mineo who dropped Reinking, I seem to recall Jim Borsetelmann telling me (circa CHICAGO ) it was someone who was on for Mineo and the story that it was Mineo was not true ( kind of an urban myth along the lines that Irene Ryan had a stroke onstage during PIPPIN). Mineo was always very dour whenever I saw him offstage. I seem to recall that Mineo had been driving a cab when he was cast in CHICAGO at Encores . I can’t remember how long Mineo was in the revival but I know he was in it for a couple of years. The last time I saw the show was 2002 or 2003 (after a bit of a gap) when I went back specifically to see Caroline O’Connor as Velma. Honestly I can not remember if he had left. Mineo would have been 60 or 61 by then.

It was interesting to watch the male cast replacements became more about muscular chorus boys and moved away from dancers who actually worked with Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 284January 7, 2022 6:33 AM

That guy with 70s/early 80s hair always distracted me. I know the revival didn't strictly recreate the 1920s at all but he looked so out of time.

by Anonymousreply 285January 7, 2022 6:35 AM

Wasn't Barbara Cook physically assisted when she did the SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM revue a decade ago? I think I recall a friend who saw it say that she was carried around the stage or something.

by Anonymousreply 286January 7, 2022 10:23 AM

I think someone said that Babs wore sneakers onstage.

by Anonymousreply 287January 7, 2022 10:31 AM

Osnes is not well-liked. At all,.

by Anonymousreply 288January 7, 2022 11:48 AM

R277. Rak comes off horribly in Every Little Step and her audition for Sheila was laughable. Not that Deirdre Goodwin was any better.

by Anonymousreply 289January 7, 2022 11:53 AM

But Rak has ENERGY! Lotss, lotsa ENERGY.

by Anonymousreply 290January 7, 2022 12:02 PM

I also worked with Marcia Lewis, and agree that she was not only talented, but one of the nicest people in Show Biz. During the run of the play, I went to see her do a reading of Wendy Wasserstein's musical, "Miami." Just sitting in a chair, she gave one of the most extraordinary performances ever. She eventually did the show, though I never got to see it, but I've never forgotten how amazing she was in that reading.

by Anonymousreply 291January 7, 2022 12:04 PM

[quote] Rak comes off horribly in Every Little Step

Was she the one where they liked her first audition, but when they called her back awhile later, she couldn’t remember how she played it?

by Anonymousreply 292January 7, 2022 12:09 PM

It's worth noting that Marcia retired at some point after meeting a lovely gentleman and settling in some southern state (KY? TN?) Presumably she found happiness and love late in life. Hope so.

by Anonymousreply 293January 7, 2022 12:25 PM

[quote]Osnes is not well-liked. At all,.

Maybe nowadays, but I never heard anything bad about her prior to Covid or even before last summer when it was revealed that she was unvaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 294January 7, 2022 12:26 PM

Say what you will about GOODTIME CHARLEY, the show is one of those flops that produced a cast album that's lots of sparkling good fun.

by Anonymousreply 295January 7, 2022 12:31 PM

I always thought Marcia was a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 296January 7, 2022 12:37 PM

No, Laura Osnes was never well-liked. I know many people who worked with her over the past ten years.

by Anonymousreply 297January 7, 2022 12:46 PM

Any updates on the guy who was on that reality show with Osnes? I don't remember his name. I think it's Max something.

by Anonymousreply 298January 7, 2022 1:13 PM

Patti has written that Michael lived with her while she was in the cast. They have lovely memories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299January 7, 2022 1:14 PM

Patti is best known for another song but I so prefer this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300January 7, 2022 1:18 PM

What's up with her hair?

by Anonymousreply 301January 7, 2022 1:26 PM

The character sells her hair.

by Anonymousreply 302January 7, 2022 1:27 PM

Song by Les Miz

Hair by Cats

by Anonymousreply 303January 7, 2022 1:37 PM

R301 read the book

by Anonymousreply 304January 7, 2022 2:35 PM

First photos of Greg Kinnear in "Mockingbird":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305January 7, 2022 3:15 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1985, a revival of "The King and I" opened at the Broadway Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 306January 7, 2022 3:18 PM

Hugh Jackman prepares for his return to the stage in "The Music Man" after testing positive for COVID-19:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307January 7, 2022 3:19 PM

Osnes' Grease co star was Max Crumm and he put some IG posts about wanting her to get vaxxed.

There were more occasions when Reinking was injured. The entire dance is lifts and flips. One has her being held above the dancers shoulders and she does a back flip while Mineo is still holding her but the back flip where she lands in a sitting position is where she broke her back.

by Anonymousreply 308January 7, 2022 3:47 PM

Can someone clarify for me. Is Doubtfire technically "closed" -- meaning the actors and everyone can find other work if they wish to? The producers are assuming/hoping/planning they won't do that, so then they rehire them? What about the stagehands and tech crews. Are they officially out of work too, or do they get some sort of retainer?

by Anonymousreply 309January 7, 2022 3:48 PM

I don't understand these posts about Laura Osnes not being well liked. I know for a fact she's as popular with her co-workers as Melissa Errico.

by Anonymousreply 310January 7, 2022 3:52 PM

R310 that's what I said above. I have never heard anything bad about her, especially pre-Covid.

by Anonymousreply 311January 7, 2022 3:57 PM

That was a joke r311.

by Anonymousreply 312January 7, 2022 4:00 PM

K&I 1985

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313January 7, 2022 4:07 PM

Why did the Fates take Luker and Mazzie from us and leave Osnes and Errico?

by Anonymousreply 314January 7, 2022 4:13 PM

[quote] First photos of Greg Kinnear in "Mockingbird":

"First" if you don't count my post 20 hours ago. ; )

by Anonymousreply 315January 7, 2022 4:15 PM

There used to be a clip on YT of Mazzie doing "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" without an ounce of humor. And that giant mouth of hers had its own gravitational pull.

by Anonymousreply 316January 7, 2022 4:28 PM

The Easter Parade mention above made me remember that I saw recently in a performer bio that they'd recently been in a workshop of a stage version of Summer Stock, a second tier MGM title if there ever was one, though it has first tier talent in it. Is it really that beloved? Who are the creative team?

None of these regurgitated MGM musical titles have ever been big box office on Broadway. Must be the tour appeal and later licensing makes it worth doing. That there is both a White Christmas and a Holiday Inn (both Paramount films) would make a case for that argument.

Singin' In The Rain, The Band Wagon/Dancing in the Dark, An American in Paris (did it get the closest to hit status on Broadway out of all of them? reporting on its recoupment was never clear), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Gigi (twice). Lili/Carnival doesn't quite count as it was from a different era and clearly not intended as the-film-on-stage, it has an original score.

Stage versions of Easter Parade and The Pirate died out of town. Are The Harvey Girls, Yolanda and the Thief, and The Kissing Bandit next? The Barkleys of Broadway, Love Me or Leave Me, Les Girls?

Are they augmenting the Summer Stock score with other Harry Warren (or even Harold Arlen) songs? Five songs in the film are Warren/Gordon, two are Saul Chaplin plus he and Jack Brooks wrote lyrics for "You Wonderful You" to Warren's tune, and "Get Happy" was a pre-existing Arlen/Koehler song.

What will the storyline of that film be like turned "woke" and stretched out to 2.5 hours?

by Anonymousreply 317January 7, 2022 4:38 PM

Rumor has it Tune was high throughout rehearsals for Nine. That must have been fun.

I wonder if he and Kathleen Turner also made frequent trips to Bolivia.

by Anonymousreply 318January 7, 2022 4:44 PM

I think Seven Brides had a healthy life regionally and on tours and in amateur productions. I know Keel and Powell did it several times onstage together. It only played Broadway once though and closed the week it opened.

by Anonymousreply 319January 7, 2022 4:51 PM

What about "It's Always Fair Weather"? Emily Skinner could essay Dolores Gray!

by Anonymousreply 320January 7, 2022 4:58 PM

[quote] Any updates on the guy who was on that reality show with Osnes? I don't remember his name. I think it's Max something.

Max Crumm has decided his pronouns are now They/Them. I don't know what that means in terms of him still being gay.

by Anonymousreply 321January 7, 2022 5:00 PM

He's just gettin' fat and sassy.

by Anonymousreply 322January 7, 2022 5:01 PM

[R270]: Google Goodtime Charley poster art, and there it is, in color, for sale even!

by Anonymousreply 323January 7, 2022 5:18 PM

Maybe he just wants to play Rose some day, r321.

by Anonymousreply 324January 7, 2022 5:18 PM

And it would have killed you to link it, r323?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325January 7, 2022 5:21 PM

R309 They're all out of work, and yes McCollum is likely betting on them not being able to find any other work between now and the alleged reopening. There may be a couple of exceptions if the set needs maintenance to avoid expensive work after 9 weeks sitting idle, but the NYT article said cast and crew are all out of work and not being paid.

by Anonymousreply 326January 7, 2022 5:51 PM

Did the Maxfield Parrish estate sue over that poster? IMHO it doesn't come close to Parrish's brilliance nor any of David Byrd's other theater posters.

by Anonymousreply 327January 7, 2022 5:55 PM

[R325]: I don’t know how, you ungrateful cunt.

God forbid, you should say thank you.

by Anonymousreply 328January 7, 2022 5:58 PM

I find Max Crumm adorable and sexy

by Anonymousreply 329January 7, 2022 6:02 PM

R329 They/them thank you.

by Anonymousreply 330January 7, 2022 6:15 PM

Oh puhleeze, r327. It's a graphic nod to Parrish, not a color xerox.

by Anonymousreply 331January 7, 2022 6:17 PM

But I will agree it's not particularly compelling.

by Anonymousreply 332January 7, 2022 6:18 PM

It looks like a children's coloring book version of Parrish to me, r331. Misses all the whimsy and beauty of the original.

by Anonymousreply 333January 7, 2022 6:19 PM

Perhaps, r333, but again, you want a cleaner, simpler graphic that works from further away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334January 7, 2022 6:28 PM

It is easy to see why they got rid of that poster. It looks like a kid's show about two guys in red suits.

by Anonymousreply 335January 7, 2022 6:29 PM

[quote]Actually, the Barbara Cook show started rehearsals but they found out Barbara couldn’t remember the lyrics and was often disoriented. They quietly put the show to rest.

That may be true, or partly true, but with Tune and Lapine involved, it probably wouldn't have happened anyway. And if it had happened, it probably would have been a mess and/or an embarrassment, like Lapine's FLYING OVER SUNSET or any of TT's endeavors over the past few decades.

by Anonymousreply 336January 7, 2022 6:29 PM

Here you get the star and...movement. A bit more eye-catching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337January 7, 2022 6:31 PM

So did Lapine steal the title Flying Over Sunset from the aborted Barbara Cook levitating wheelchair show?

by Anonymousreply 338January 7, 2022 6:35 PM

I'm reminded of the art for KING OF HEARTS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339January 7, 2022 6:39 PM

^ Another that was Boffo at the BO

by Anonymousreply 340January 7, 2022 6:52 PM

R340: Ha! exactly.

by Anonymousreply 341January 7, 2022 6:58 PM

This is how crazy it's getting. Haven't done it in 5 years, and now I'm starring on Broadway! Bravo to her...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342January 7, 2022 7:02 PM

K of H...side 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343January 7, 2022 7:10 PM

Carla...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344January 7, 2022 7:10 PM

Errico famously fucked Howard Davies during My Fair Lady, but did she also fuck Michel Legrand? Presumably, Lapine was one she skipped…

by Anonymousreply 345January 7, 2022 7:12 PM

Tune did an Encores Gershwin show a few years ago and was very good. He sang and danced in two songs, I seem to recall. One of them was Fascinating Rhythm.

by Anonymousreply 346January 7, 2022 7:21 PM

[quote]Tune did an Encores Gershwin show a few years ago and was very good. He sang and danced in two songs, I seem to recall. One of them was Fascinating Rhythm.

He did manage to get through that one fine, though his performance seemed a little tentative and fragile to me. I heard he was very unsure about making any kind of comeback, even with just a number of two, and the creative team was very solicitous of him.

by Anonymousreply 347January 7, 2022 7:30 PM

Not sure "fascinatin" is the right word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348January 7, 2022 7:30 PM

He's 76 there, r348.

by Anonymousreply 349January 7, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote]Max Crumm has decided his pronouns are now They/Them. I don't know what that means in terms of him still being gay.

That he was looking for some attention?

by Anonymousreply 350January 7, 2022 7:42 PM

This They/Them bullshit is nothing more than an attention grab by a very specific kind of millennial/Gen Zer. It's no surprise that actors/creative types are the ones most likely to adopt it.

Make no mistake, I'm an advocate and ally of the Trans movement but this non-binary pronoun nonsense is a lot of attention grabbing horseshit. I can't wait to see it flame out for the fad it clearly is.

by Anonymousreply 351January 7, 2022 8:25 PM

Wow, what a totally original take that is.

I especially like the part where you point out it's an attention grab, and so decide to give them attention for it.

by Anonymousreply 352January 7, 2022 8:32 PM

I recently worked on a production with trans and non binary artists and on the first day of rehearsals we were asked to give our names and pronouns. I thought that was a bit much. If people want to volunteer that info that’s great but pronouns aren’t something I think about on a daily basis. One person didn’t give their pronouns and director asked for them. I barely spoke during the entire production because I was afraid of offending anyone.

by Anonymousreply 353January 7, 2022 8:41 PM

I wonder if Wicked put out a call to Willemijn Verkaik in The Netherlands. She’s not doing Come from Away because the country is in a month-long lockdown. But I guess it would have been too complicated logistically.

by Anonymousreply 354January 7, 2022 8:42 PM

Thd Copk show wasn’t a wheelchair show. She was just going to be in a regular chair, which would move around all over the stage.

by Anonymousreply 355January 7, 2022 8:42 PM

The stories and songs hadn't been chosen for the Cook show. There were too many decisions yet to be made and there wasn't time to structure and stage a show let alone learn the material. It would have been a disaster and all concerned were wise not to proceed.

by Anonymousreply 356January 7, 2022 8:48 PM

Barbara’s Chair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357January 7, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote]I barely spoke during the entire production because I was afraid of offending anyone.

R353 reminds me of something Anne Frank wrote in her diary, shortly before her family went into hiding: "You're afraid to do anything lest it be forbidden."

by Anonymousreply 358January 7, 2022 8:54 PM

R357, that was one of a set of chairs in her dining room.

by Anonymousreply 359January 7, 2022 9:48 PM

[quote]I recently worked on a production with trans and non binary artists and on the first day of rehearsals we were asked to give our names and pronouns. I thought that was a bit much.

You find that difficult? Seems pretty innocuous to me.

by Anonymousreply 360January 7, 2022 10:03 PM

R298, I believe it was Max Crumm. I guess he did Grease on Broadway and I remember seeing him in Disaster! on Broadway. I think he’s done more off-Bway stuff than on.

by Anonymousreply 361January 7, 2022 10:11 PM

Max Crumm??

Hardly the name for a Broadway leading man.

by Anonymousreply 362January 7, 2022 10:16 PM

did you see r308 and the posts thereafter? Jeez, you're all home sitting on your fat asses and listening to [italic] The Black Crook [/italic] on wax cylinder, and you don't have time to read through a thread?

by Anonymousreply 363January 7, 2022 10:38 PM

Ann Reinking and John Mineo dancing in Over Here. (The dancer in the yellow dress is Marilu Henner.

By the by, I always heard that it was Mineo’s understudy who dropped Reinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364January 7, 2022 10:56 PM

Just watched Ed Dixon's play "Georgie" and found it very affecting. Having really enjoyed George Rose on stage thru the years, I was shocked by the tale (that I had only ever heard whispers about prior to this play).

Did anyone on here ever work with or socialize with Rose? His performances in Pirates and Drood remain two of my favorite theatre-going experiences ever.

by Anonymousreply 365January 7, 2022 11:05 PM

What was it that shocked you about it, r365?

by Anonymousreply 366January 7, 2022 11:50 PM

R357, all I can think is "foil cupcake wrappers."

by Anonymousreply 367January 7, 2022 11:54 PM

Where does the money from Barbara Cook’s estate go now that her son’s dead?

by Anonymousreply 368January 8, 2022 12:00 AM

R360 But forcing people to play the pronoun game is shitty, too.

All to appease the .001 of the population who feel the need to make pronouns a thing.

If you think you need to share personal pronoun choices because they might differ from how you present or it's ambiguous, then great! Do so!

If you pronouns match your appearance (most of the planet), then why do we need to say anything?

If you have "special" pronouns like Xhe or zhe or zir or hir, then go the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 369January 8, 2022 12:04 AM

I think people should announce their pronouns, sexual orientation, mental disorders and any medications at meet and greets.

by Anonymousreply 370January 8, 2022 12:23 AM

Dick size, too, for the men, r370.

by Anonymousreply 371January 8, 2022 12:34 AM

Can you imagine how much time that would save? Next!

by Anonymousreply 372January 8, 2022 12:37 AM

or just tell them to just a first name rather than a pronoun -- heck, was it Jimmy character on "Seinfeld" who referred to himself in the third person. Or like Willie Mays, call them "say, hey" over there just said...

by Anonymousreply 373January 8, 2022 12:37 AM

just "use" a first name, that is

by Anonymousreply 374January 8, 2022 12:37 AM

I say that my pronounce are "cous" and "yip."

by Anonymousreply 375January 8, 2022 12:55 AM

[quote]The stories and songs hadn't been chosen for the Cook show. There were too many decisions yet to be made and there wasn't time to structure and stage a show let alone learn the material. It would have been a disaster and all concerned were wise not to proceed.

That was the other thing -- the timeline of that production didn't make any sense, which makes me think it was just a stupid ploy on the part of Tune and Lapine to hitch their wagons to Cook's good name even though the whole idea of the show was totally unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 376January 8, 2022 2:57 AM

[quote]If you have "special" pronouns like Xhe or zhe or zir or hir, then go the fuck away.

Like the ridiculous Justin Vivian Bond. How and why that insufferable, untalented individual still has any sort of a career is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 377January 8, 2022 3:00 AM

I worked on a show at a major regional where the they did the first day circle thing, and about a third of the people -- mostly the theater administrators -- LOUDLY and PROUDLY declared their pronouns, and everyone else just said their names. It was awkward, painful, and subtly divided everyone at a moment that was meant to bring everyone together.

by Anonymousreply 378January 8, 2022 4:20 AM

[quote] That was the other thing -- the timeline of that production didn't make any sense, which makes me think it was just a stupid ploy on the part of Tune and Lapine to hitch their wagons to Cook's good name

But for what purpose?

They were going to do the show in Worldwide Plaza which was formerly a cineplex. Those theaters have no stage because they were designed as movie theaters.

by Anonymousreply 379January 8, 2022 5:22 AM

R377 Well, you lost me there because Justin Vivian Bond is great!

by Anonymousreply 380January 8, 2022 5:49 AM

Like I said above, it was Barbara Cook, for chissakes. Just park her down front and let her sing. No concept necessary. She already had a huge damn repertoire.

Did anyone see the recent Tony Bennett concert on CBS with Gaga? He's in his 90s with advanced Alzheimers but they put him in front of an audience with a microphone in his hand and a big band behind him and out it all came just fine.

Music is therapy.

by Anonymousreply 381January 8, 2022 5:55 AM

I think Justin Bond is one of the great overrated mysteries of our time. Kiki & Herb is about as amusing as the gout.

by Anonymousreply 382January 8, 2022 6:08 AM

R380 They/Them/Chair is so tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 383January 8, 2022 6:14 AM

I, too, have no tolerance of she/they.

by Anonymousreply 384January 8, 2022 9:03 AM

I bought this t-shirt. Maybe everyone should.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385January 8, 2022 10:33 AM

r365 I thought I heard that was available online but now I can't remember where

by Anonymousreply 386January 8, 2022 11:47 AM

[quote]That was the other thing -- the timeline of that production didn't make any sense, which makes me think it was just a stupid ploy on the part of Tune and Lapine to hitch their wagons to Cook's good name

[quote]But for what purpose?

Excellent question. Perhaps Tune and Lapine just wanted to get their names in the press. But they're both so deluded that, in their minds, maybe they really thought they could bring this misbegotten idea to fruition.

by Anonymousreply 387January 8, 2022 2:38 PM

So how much longer are we going to argue over a theoretical production that never happened? Meanwhile, as Broadway collapses around us, and the only shows left will be Wicked, Lion King, Hamilton, and Phantom. Fun!

by Anonymousreply 388January 8, 2022 2:57 PM

Given the state of affairs, I guess Amber Riley will never get to do Dreamgirls on Broadway now huh?

I don't think it was even officially happening yet before covid...now if they wanted to, it wouldnt be for 2 more years most likely. How old would Amber be then?

by Anonymousreply 389January 8, 2022 3:03 PM

She's black. It doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 390January 8, 2022 3:13 PM

[quote] Perhaps Tune and Lapine just wanted to get their names in the press. But they're both so deluded that, in their minds, maybe they really thought they could bring this misbegotten idea to fruition.

Seriously. Conspiracy theory about Barbara Fucking Cook.

by Anonymousreply 391January 8, 2022 4:10 PM

You'd start thinking about conspiracy theories too if your set almost beheaded you.

by Anonymousreply 392January 8, 2022 4:19 PM

CAR-REEE....always RE-MEM-ber that I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Yooooooo.

by Anonymousreply 393January 8, 2022 4:22 PM

OK so there's a pandemic and theater is struggling and people aren't sure it's safe.

How about AN AMERICAN MASTERPIECE REIMAGINED FOR OUR TIME?

Long Day's Journey:

[quote] a vibrant and timely update in this interpretation by prolific Tony Award®-nominated director Robert O’Hara (Slave Play). At the heart of O’Neill’s masterwork is the Tyrone family, living together again under lockdown. As the pressure builds, each family member retreats to their own destructive vices. Starring Emmy® Award nominee Bill Camp (The Crucible, The Queen’s Gambit), three-time Obie Award® winner Elizabeth Marvel (Hedda Gabler, Homeland), Tony Award nominee Ato Blankson-Wood (Slave Play) and Jason Bowen (The Play That Goes Wrong), this must-see production inspired by the events of 2020 is a visceral and provocative exploration of addiction and mental health speaking to our present moment. O’Hara's contemporary reimagining of LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT runs approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes with no intermission and includes themes of drug/alcohol addiction and domestic violence.

by Anonymousreply 394January 8, 2022 4:26 PM

Slave Play's return is the TOAST of New York....The are pictures circulating of barely 50 people sitting in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 395January 8, 2022 5:12 PM

I enjoyed Kiki & Herb in the 90s. But…Viv’s voice is really bad, and the fact that they are concertizing in opera houses and with symphony orchestras is laughable. They’re a man in a dress with a god awful nasal baritone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 396January 8, 2022 5:48 PM

[quote] They/Them/Chair is so tiresome.

I will not have a word said against Chair!

by Anonymousreply 397January 8, 2022 5:59 PM

[quote] They’re a man in a dress with a god awful nasal baritone.

And what’s wrong with that? Judgmental bitch!

by Anonymousreply 398January 8, 2022 6:01 PM

What was the concept behind the Lapine/Tune show? I believe it was some kind of review but not sure what the theme was. Did I miss that somewhere upthread? Or am I mixing it up with another review that starred Barbara Cook and Vanessa Williams, among others, which I believe did open?

by Anonymousreply 399January 8, 2022 6:19 PM

R399, I think you're thinking of Sondheim on Sondheim, which did open.

by Anonymousreply 400January 8, 2022 7:29 PM

[quote] I believe it was some kind of review

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 401January 8, 2022 7:35 PM

There seem to be fewer and fewer performance cancellations over the past 2 weeks. Lots of understudies on but that’s ok. It’s encouraging. I’m staying hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 402January 8, 2022 7:54 PM

Sonny & chair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403January 8, 2022 8:19 PM

r402 maybe because isolation (supposedly asymptomatic only) is now 5 days instead of 10?

by Anonymousreply 404January 8, 2022 8:25 PM

[quote]I enjoyed Kiki & Herb in the 90s. But…Viv’s voice is really bad, and the fact that they are concertizing in opera houses and with symphony orchestras is laughable. They’re a man in a dress with a god awful nasal baritone.

Do "Kiki and Herb" still perform together, or has the micro-talented Justin Vivian Bond now gone out on that person's own and to perform with others? I avoided using a pronoun there because I don't remember, and don't care to remember, the special, made-up one that JVB prefers.

by Anonymousreply 405January 8, 2022 8:30 PM

Babs with her son Adam LeGrant. She actually look like she’d lost some weight here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406January 8, 2022 8:35 PM

They recently (and I do mean the two of them) appeared at BAM several weeks ago for a series of concerts. I didn't go, having long wearied of her act.

by Anonymousreply 407January 8, 2022 8:36 PM

Justin Vivian Bond is now doing a double act with legit operatic countertenor, thd big-dicked Anthony Roth Costanzo.

by Anonymousreply 408January 8, 2022 8:38 PM

Justin and Viv

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409January 8, 2022 8:40 PM

[quote]What was the concept behind the Lapine/Tune show? I believe it was some kind of review but not sure what the theme was.

The show, [italic]Barbara Cook: Then and Now[/italic], was tied to her upcoming autobiography, which was being published that year. Apparently it was supposed to be more along the lines of something like [italic]Sondheim on Sondheim[/italic] than just a concert. Lapine was actually writing a script based on incidents from her life, combined with songs from her career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410January 8, 2022 8:41 PM

A big-dicked countertenor?

by Anonymousreply 411January 8, 2022 8:48 PM

I really was not a fan of Kiki and Herb, now or then.

I remember back in the mid-90s when they were downtown darlings, just too cool for school. Friends raved about them until I finally saw them. JV Bond was falling down drunk that night and screaming, not singing. It wasn't merely his "Kiki" persona, he was truly impaired, and painful to listen to. I found Herb funnier, at least. Others assured me that it was merely an "off night" and that I shouldn't take it so seriously. In other words, I didn't "get" Kiki and Herb.

There was some really good, offbeat downtown theatre and cabaret at that time. It's ironic that Bond is still around. I cannot believe K&H ever played Carnegie Hall and other serious venues. I still don't "get" them. Sophomoric, tuneless, one-trick ponies.

by Anonymousreply 412January 8, 2022 8:48 PM

Jonathan and Darlene Edwards did it much better than Kiki and Herb

by Anonymousreply 413January 8, 2022 9:03 PM

R 412, I'm with you. I brought a friend to see Kiki and Herb's Broadway show. We got comps through connections, which was a good thing, because my friend said it was the worst Broadway show he'd ever seen in his life.

Another friend tried to explain the Kiki and Herb phenomenon to me by saying they could be amusing when doing a 20-minute set in a downtown drag club, but how either of them ever got any further than that -- and how they EVER got to Broadway, even though the show was a huge flop -- is inexplicable.

by Anonymousreply 414January 8, 2022 9:14 PM

Let’s all go see this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415January 8, 2022 9:19 PM

Does Saturday standby for Wednesday?

by Anonymousreply 416January 8, 2022 10:37 PM

Only on Thursday, r416.

by Anonymousreply 417January 8, 2022 11:14 PM

I'd love for Tuesday to step in...

by Anonymousreply 418January 8, 2022 11:17 PM

R393

No joke....hearing Cook sing that before (inexplicably and almost invisibly, in the video) stabbing her daughter broke my heart.

Carrie was a campy mess, but holy shit the mother loving/destroying her daughter stuff was so moving. Even though it wasn't brilliantly written. The horror of that relationship stayed and was real....

Betty's "CAAAAAAAAAN yyyyyyou forgive...what I've doooooooooooooonnee....I was wrooooooooooooooong....and it Huuuuurts Meeeeee to have to huuuuurt yoooouuuu....I'd rather DIIIIIIIIIIIEEE Than See You SUUUUUUUFerrrrr...." makes my eyes well up.

I wonder if it'll ever return to Broadway. Even without it's reputation, it's bleak material.

by Anonymousreply 419January 9, 2022 5:44 AM

[Quote] in a dress with a god awful nasal baritone

So, modern day Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 420January 9, 2022 6:38 AM

Ok MARY MARY who’s ever MARY-ED that is so [bold] MARY!

by Anonymousreply 421January 9, 2022 7:31 AM

Someone needs to do a version of Carrie that's just the Carrie/Margaret material. In between a narrator can come out and describe the scenes with the other kids, then bring us back to the White home..

by Anonymousreply 422January 9, 2022 9:56 AM

Thank goodness this was recorded for the press real. I think this might be Betty’s finest moment.

The show was a hot mess, but Betty was brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423January 9, 2022 10:25 AM

This moment is one of Betty Buckley’s finest. There are moments of brilliance in the show and this is one of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424January 9, 2022 1:05 PM

^^Before I get an “oh dear,” I of course meant press reel.

by Anonymousreply 425January 9, 2022 1:06 PM

[quote][R353] reminds me of something Anne Frank wrote in her diary, shortly before her family went into hiding: "You're afraid to do anything lest it be forbidden."

Ah yes. That deadly "asking for your pronouns = six million dead Jews" pipeline.

by Anonymousreply 426January 9, 2022 1:52 PM

People are always complaining about Lloyd Webber stealing from other composers. Here is Leonard Bernstein ripping off three composers to create “Somewhere.” It’s a long video, but I thought it was fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427January 9, 2022 2:08 PM

There are only seven notes on the scale. Some overlap is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 428January 9, 2022 2:30 PM

Is Diane Paulus ok to work with or a nightmare. I have heard both and I have a chance to work with someone on a show with her. Anyone here know?

by Anonymousreply 429January 9, 2022 2:37 PM

She hit me in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 430January 9, 2022 2:39 PM

Paulus was one of the "entitled white gatekeepers" called out by BIPOC for racist behavior--and then absolutely nothing came of it.

I was a huge fan of her work but have become less impressed over time, for reasons unrelated to the charges of racism.

by Anonymousreply 431January 9, 2022 3:00 PM

r427 Lloyd Webber has made a very successful and profitable career ripping off better composers. Those bits he does compose are poor in comparison. Like his father before him he is not a first rate composer - undoubtedly successful but that is a different thing.

There’s a wonderful parody song by Brit duo Kit and the Widow called “Someone Else”. You’ll find it on youtube. Lloyd Webber never sued.

by Anonymousreply 432January 9, 2022 3:16 PM

Make that Somebody Else

by Anonymousreply 433January 9, 2022 3:19 PM

Sue a parody?

by Anonymousreply 434January 9, 2022 3:20 PM

On behalf of R432 - and if you follow through the related videos you should also find Julia McKenzie from the same show singing The Boy From...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435January 9, 2022 4:49 PM

Was Anthony Roth Costanzo's naughty bits censored when they did the opera telecast of "Aknaten" ? I heard he had to shave all his body hair for the role, but did appear nude at one point. Asking in relation to the "big-dicked" comment above for confirmation.

by Anonymousreply 436January 9, 2022 4:58 PM

Paulus can do decent work on revivals (Hair, Pippin), but all her work on new musicals has been either average (Waitress) or disastrous (Finding Neverland, that controversial Africa musical at 2nd stage whose title I have forgotten/never learned.).

by Anonymousreply 437January 9, 2022 5:39 PM

[quote]that controversial Africa musical at 2nd stage whose title I have forgotten/never learned.

That was the show on which that the writers/performers accused Paulus of racist behavior (including telling the writer, "I don't work for YOU!" and treating black performers badly). Second Stage also came off poorly.

by Anonymousreply 438January 9, 2022 5:54 PM

Easy to call someone a racist if she dare give you any negative feedback. That way, you never have to take responsibility for your performance.

by Anonymousreply 439January 9, 2022 6:05 PM

Speaking of which, what’s Tonya Pinkins up to these days? Trying to convince people Jocasta was black?

by Anonymousreply 440January 9, 2022 6:07 PM

[quote]Thank goodness this was recorded for the press real.

Bringing press realness.

by Anonymousreply 441January 9, 2022 6:11 PM

R429 here I should have been clearer, I’m not looking for a critique of her work but if anyone has worked with her or knows anyone who has and how was the environment? I have heard unpleasant stories but there’s never anyway to know if theyr’e grudges or if she’s the monster some people seem to think she is one.

by Anonymousreply 442January 9, 2022 6:44 PM

Beware. There are LOTS of "unpleasant" stories.

by Anonymousreply 443January 9, 2022 6:46 PM

She's gotten in "bed" with two Broadway producers: Harvey Weinstein and Barry Weissler. Do the math.

by Anonymousreply 444January 9, 2022 6:46 PM

R438, Paulus has been mistreating actors since the Donkey Show. She was a nightmare then and is still one. She made her name off a production created by the cast, and then treated them like crap.

The secret of her success is that she does the minimum. She lets people in authority tell her what they want to see on stage and she executes it. When she is in authority the work goes to pieces. But if she has a strong producer over her, the results are much better.

Let's not even get into the sleazy financial arrangements with her husband at Oberon. The Boston Globe did great reporting on this, but no other outlet picked up on it.

by Anonymousreply 445January 9, 2022 7:00 PM

I would stop to think twice about working with any director who antagonizes a playwright and (allegedly) tells him that she "doesn't work for him" in front of the entire company. Just my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 446January 9, 2022 7:00 PM

R442, I went to school with her. She was not very bright, but very entitled.

The Donkey Show was staged by the cast. Hair was staged by James Rado and Karole Armatage.

I do not know, but I am guessing Pipin was largely created by circus choreographers, since Paulus has never created anything of that complexity on her own.

by Anonymousreply 447January 9, 2022 7:05 PM

[quote]Paulus can do decent work on revivals (Hair, Pippin)

....but also sometimes horrific work on revivals, like Porgy and Bess -- excuse me, The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess. Although that wasn't really a revival, more a Frankenstein monster version of of what used to be a great piece of musical theater.

by Anonymousreply 448January 9, 2022 7:11 PM

Pinkins is in the new ABC anthology series WOMEN OF THE MOVEMENT, at least in the first episode, about Emmett Till. Didn't watch it yet.

by Anonymousreply 449January 9, 2022 8:15 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I saw the Paulus revival of PIPPIN late in the run. And I was underwhelmed. It was just... fine. Nothing revelatory about it.

by Anonymousreply 450January 9, 2022 9:19 PM

Why did they bring Slave Play back? It had a respectable run. I don't remember it being a difficult ticket to get during that initial run. It did not win the Tony. It did not win the Pulitzer. It is not a show that appeals to tourists and there are no tourists in NYC right now. Most of the potential NYC audience had the chance to see it pre-Covid and made their decision. Not to mention with the failures of: Pass Over, Chicken & Eggs, Clyde's, etc. hasn't Broadway audiences essentially passed on woke people of color plays?

by Anonymousreply 451January 9, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote]Nothing revelatory about it.

I don't think Pippin contains much to make revelatory

by Anonymousreply 452January 9, 2022 9:38 PM

The brought back Slave Play so they could get email addresses to sell STRANGE LOOP.

by Anonymousreply 453January 9, 2022 9:40 PM

[quote]I know I'm in the minority, but I saw the Paulus revival of PIPPIN late in the run. And I was underwhelmed. It was just... fine. Nothing revelatory about it.

Agreed, but the circus concept was fun even if it didn't make complete sense for the show. And there were some really good performances throughout the run. Oh, and the ensemble featured one of the most beautiful men ever to set foot on a Broadway stage :-)

by Anonymousreply 454January 9, 2022 9:42 PM

They brought back Slave Play because they were convinced it was going to win the Tony, and when it didn't, they had to follow through with it, lest they be called out for racism.

by Anonymousreply 455January 9, 2022 9:57 PM

I can't argue with that...but also, Jeremy O. Harris's ego. That's why they brought it back.

by Anonymousreply 456January 9, 2022 10:06 PM

Wouldn't a Tony loss -- 12 out of 12 -- signify something that the theater community didn't really think it was all that?

by Anonymousreply 457January 9, 2022 10:23 PM

Yes, but it was in the cards before the Tonys. Jeremy O and Jordan Tranny thought it was going to clean up.

by Anonymousreply 458January 9, 2022 10:25 PM

R455 is correct. Everyone was convinced it would win the Tony, especially Jeremy O. Harris. But, it sucked.

by Anonymousreply 459January 9, 2022 10:28 PM

I saw a poster in NYC today for Slave Play that said “the most Tony nominations for a play ever.” I wish I had had a pen with me so I could add “And it won none of them.”

by Anonymousreply 460January 9, 2022 10:30 PM

I do wonder if those Medium articles knocking Jordan Roth played a part in the decision. A way for him to say "see, I AM serious". And also an excuse for him to buy another opening night outfit.

by Anonymousreply 461January 9, 2022 11:02 PM

Slave Play - the biggest loser ever.

by Anonymousreply 462January 9, 2022 11:06 PM

Isn't Jordan Roth's father still a significant Trump supporter?

by Anonymousreply 463January 9, 2022 11:10 PM

[quote]I saw a poster in NYC today for Slave Play that said “the most Tony nominations for a play ever.” I wish I had had a pen with me so I could add “And it won none of them.”

You go girl! Telling the man like it is!

Truly you are the Martin Luther King of antiwoke showtune queens.

by Anonymousreply 464January 9, 2022 11:12 PM

r464 made me lol.

by Anonymousreply 465January 9, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote]Pass Over, Chicken & Eggs, Clyde's, etc.

Chicken & Eggs - bwhahahahah...

by Anonymousreply 466January 9, 2022 11:22 PM

[quote] I saw a poster in NYC today for Slave Play that said “the most Tony nominations for a play ever.”

Turn them in to the Tony Admin people. It's against the rules to talk about your nominations like a month or something after the actual awards themselves.

by Anonymousreply 467January 9, 2022 11:40 PM

Emily Skinner's response to being raked for getting the name of her show wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468January 9, 2022 11:53 PM

Designer friends of mine who have worked for Paulus complain because she brings everyone from the producer to the head usher into every artistic decision that has to be made, mostly ignoring the designer. And she won't listen to actors about anything unless they're stars like Audra, Andrea Martin, Sara Bareilles, etc.

by Anonymousreply 469January 10, 2022 12:22 AM

R469, that behavior sounds very inconsistent.

by Anonymousreply 470January 10, 2022 12:43 AM

Has the usher at Roundabout who reads bitches for filth before the show to instill fear if they so much as cough during the proceedings been discussed here?

by Anonymousreply 471January 10, 2022 2:18 AM

Jeez, we get it, people on DL don't like the new Black-centric plays.

by Anonymousreply 472January 10, 2022 2:27 AM

Oh, be fair, R472.

People on TG on DL don't like new Black-centric anything.

by Anonymousreply 473January 10, 2022 2:30 AM

R473, Well, seemingly neither did the NY audiences.

by Anonymousreply 474January 10, 2022 2:32 AM

Starlight Express!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475January 10, 2022 2:36 AM

I picture a circle of obese 70yos in caftans, small dogs and martinis on these threads complaining about the coloreds.

by Anonymousreply 476January 10, 2022 2:36 AM

R476 So bitter Jeremy. Your play was shit. Now fuck off and marry a white man.

by Anonymousreply 477January 10, 2022 2:41 AM

Hit a nerve, did we R477? Have another martini.

by Anonymousreply 478January 10, 2022 2:44 AM

Hey, produce my plays -- I was able to get Hunter Foster naked on stage and have serious actors like Laura Esterman and Daniel Gerroll in the cast. I'm black also, but my sensationalistic plays are better written, and I'm apparently a lot easier to take than that other playwright you've been discussing.

by Anonymousreply 479January 10, 2022 3:14 AM

Arthur Sullivan (of Gilbert & Sullivan) was often accused of ripping off other composers' work, sometimes with justification. His reply was that "we only have the same twelve notes to work with."

by Anonymousreply 480January 10, 2022 3:17 AM

[quote] but my sensationalistic plays are better written

No, Thomas, they really aren't.

by Anonymousreply 481January 10, 2022 3:22 AM

Aunt Clara...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482January 10, 2022 3:27 AM

[quote]Has the usher at Roundabout who reads bitches for filth before the show to instill fear if they so much as cough during the proceedings been discussed here?

When you say Roundabout, which theater are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 483January 10, 2022 3:38 AM

R478 Call me Boris, ya drongo.

by Anonymousreply 484January 10, 2022 3:48 AM

Singapore/Fling is in rare form schooling ATC on why the Globes weren't telecast. And by schooling, I mean patronizingly suggesting they "educate" themselves before posting such questions.

THIS. This bratty, petulant, USELESS attitude epitomizes everything wrong with the radical left. They think they're doing God's work but they wind up sounding like an angry teenager.

by Anonymousreply 485January 10, 2022 4:11 AM

I worked with Paulus briefly. She is a cunt of the highest order, a pox on her house. Although the writers of Witness Uganda are, in fact, twats as well.

by Anonymousreply 486January 10, 2022 4:50 AM

A director does not work for the writer, so what's the problem with her saying that?

by Anonymousreply 487January 10, 2022 6:14 AM

We do not work for YOU, R487. It is not our job to answer your questions.

by Anonymousreply 488January 10, 2022 11:41 AM

[quote] People on TG on DL don't like new Black-centric anything

Correction : people on DL don't like ANYTHING.......except Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 489January 10, 2022 11:56 AM

Slave Play is the kind of pretentious mess only a Yale graduate could write & get produced. Now it's returning to cannibalize the limited audience for other plays by black authors. I cannot imagine anyone going to see it.

Have we discussed Jeremy O. Harris fleeing the US (and his aging Mother) for London at the beginning of the pandemic?

by Anonymousreply 490January 10, 2022 12:13 PM

The puppet dog in that Aurora Spiderwoman clip of Busker Alley is adorable genius. Poor Marcia. Never work with children or animals. Or puppets. The rest of it is execrable trash.

What exactly IS Tommy Tune? I’ve never gotten it. At all. He’s always been creepily asexual and weird both onstage and on film. He’s an okay dancer. Tall. But that hair and face and bland personality and zero singing voice. And he’s got that bizarre 70s/80s/90s closet thing going on like Barry Manilow. Clearly gay, but terrified. He’s just… off.

I have memories that must be quite wrong about Busker Alley and Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public. That was my first year in NY (1994) and I distinctly remember walking down W 44th which was basically deserted because one hadn’t opened and the other had flopped. I remember there was chatter that Tune had been running back and forth between theaters trying to save both shows and then “broke” his ankle.

Obviously, this can’t be true because BA was at the St. James which is across from the Majestic which has Phantom, and BLWGP was at the Lunt Fontanne which is on 46th. And didn’t Whorehouse flop before Busker tried to come in a little later? Anyway, what I do remember clearly was that both theaters had been done up very garishly on the outside, (I think Whorehouse was neon pink or something) and both seemed to cover half the street. And both theaters seemed to sit empty forever all painted and ready to go once Busker never opened and Whorehouse flopped.

I remember the Birdie debacle, and it struck me as weird that Tune would have ever gotten the backing to star in one show and direct and choreograph another at the same time after that mess. It was a fairly big Broadway scandal at the time that he lost millions for both shows, and it was pretty much the end of his career. I saw him about a decade later shopping for antiques with, I’m assuming, his boyfriend on the UWS, who was also overly tall and skinny and weirdly unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 491January 10, 2022 1:18 PM

R483 Not sure, might have been Studio 54 - I think they were talking about Caroline.

by Anonymousreply 492January 10, 2022 1:23 PM

Tommy is very charming and charismatic on stage in addition to being a wonderful dancer. Birdie was never intended for broadway. It was a tour. I have no idea what he’s like offstage and I don’t care because it’s none of my business. He’s always come off as a very private person. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 493January 10, 2022 2:17 PM

R471 and R483 I know exactly the usher you mean! In addition to the show where she works giving 8 performances a week (actually, it just closed), she was giving 8 performances a week of her own in the aisles before the show with her dramatic enacting of the mask regulations and consequences. The only thing missing were the snaps...but hey, with today's audiences, and especially the flyovers from places where COVID is either imaginary or an overreaction, the rich but-I'm-a-donors who can't be bothered, and the generation that resents anyone telling them they have to do anything--I get where the usher was coming from. Management probably wants to be able to say they run a tight ship without having to do the dirty work in the trenches.

Tommy Tune seemed like the savior of the Broadway musical during the 80s and early 90s when musicals, particularly American musicals, were having a VERY hard time. He understood the old school ways, having worked with so many of the troupers on the way up. But he was doing new work that was commercially and artistically successful and that's the magic formula: the theatre dotes on people who win the Tonys AND make the money, and it helps even more if they are on the young side, as Tune was. He has something like 9? Tony Awards, including one for Lifetime Achievement.

WHOREHOUSE was a big hit that toured with multiple companies, HOLLYWOOD/UKRAINE as odd as it was ran over a year, NINE made it almost two years and toured, he salvaged MY ONE AND ONLY and suddenly there was one of these reconstituted catalog shows that was a hit and wasn't a revue, then the Tonys and commercial success of GRAND HOTEL and WILL ROGERS FOLLIES in back to back years. Sure, WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC was a bomb, but that same year that GREASE revival opened and was the longest running musical revival in history till CHICAGO came along. And by the time that GREASE revival wrapped up, Tune was one of the only healthy heirs apparent to the American musical director-choreographer titans who had died in the 80s and 90s, though he still had a younger person's vitality...Fosse, Bennett, Champion, Robbins, and Joe Layton had all died by then, and Ron Field would die in 1989.

Tune also wasn't afraid to tour as a headline performer, between his concert shows and the MO&O and BIRDIE tours he'd built himself a name on the road. As the 90s wound down he did a year in EFX in Vegas, which had to be for no other reason but money.

What has happened since, in terms of Tune not staying busy busy busy with high profile work, well, who can say.

by Anonymousreply 494January 10, 2022 2:18 PM

That whole BUSKER ALLEY thing was so weird. I got the impression that almost no one believed Tune really broke his ankle, or if he did, that it would have necessitated closing the show for good. But since no one could prove it wasn't true, it's understandable that no one wanted to come right out and call him and the producers liars.

R494, you left SO MUCH out of your roundup of Tune's career, including ALL of the flops and misfires and cancellations since WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC. Seems like the only things Tune has done over the past 30 years or so that weren't disappointments or disasters were EFX and that Encores show, and of course, in both of those he was just performing talent for hire and wasn't calling the shots.

by Anonymousreply 495January 10, 2022 2:27 PM

Tommy Tune is in his 80s. I wouldn't expect him to be working busily at this point.

by Anonymousreply 496January 10, 2022 2:36 PM

[quote]Tommy Tune is in his 80s. I wouldn't expect him to be working busily at this point.

We're not talking about now, we're talking about what he has and hasn't done since 1994, which was almost 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 497January 10, 2022 2:40 PM

R495, I didn't leave it out, I just stopped it at a certain point, more or less after the 90s wave of success wound down, which I would put as milestone cap at the end of the run of GREASE. You're right, it's strange to go from his 80s-90s level of success to the "flops and misfires and cancellations" and "disappointments and disasters" that followed. Even in EFX he was a replacement. Can you make a list of the stuff I left out?

I saw that DOLITTLE tour and the most mystifying thing was why he would take on salvaging that project. Directing it was one thing, but headlining a 6-month tour of one and two week stands...there's no other reason for a 60-something man to take that on but $$$. Same with the cruise ship show.

As for working busily in your 80s, R496: James Earl Jones, Angela Lansbury, Chits Rivera a/k/a Chita Rivers, Marilyn Maye, Estelle Parsons, Rita Moreno, and George Abbott all disagree.

by Anonymousreply 498January 10, 2022 3:06 PM

Here is the new Ike Turner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499January 10, 2022 3:06 PM

[quote]I saw that DOLITTLE tour and the most mystifying thing was why he would take on salvaging that project.

Yes, mystifying indeed. Just one example of the many strange decisions he made during his late career. How he ever thought it wouldn't bite him in the ass to have a plant in the audience pretending to be his old dance teacher (or whatever) for that Off-Broadway show at that flophouse the Little Shubert defies explanation. He might have gotten away with it if the show was a one-nighter, but for a show with a regular schedule of seven or eight performances a week, with the plant popping up out of the audience at every performance????

by Anonymousreply 500January 10, 2022 3:14 PM

Once again, Datalounge is consumed arguing over musicals from the 80s and 90s. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 501January 10, 2022 3:15 PM

Ask Jeremy Pope what Paulus was like during Invisible Thread at Second Stage. Or just ask any BIPOC who's had the misery of working with her.

by Anonymousreply 502January 10, 2022 3:15 PM

I just read on his wiki that Tune lost a long time partner to AIDS in 1994. Having two massive shows flop and being shown the door after being the toast of Broadway and losing a partner must have been a very difficult time.

by Anonymousreply 503January 10, 2022 3:17 PM

[quote] both theaters had been done up very garishly on the outside, (I think Whorehouse was neon pink or something)

The Lunt wasn't especially garish on the outside for Whorehouse/Public, although I think that is when the inside of the Lunt was painted Milk of Magnesia bottle blue. Before that, it was a sort of powder blue with murals of cherubs flying around.

The theatre facade that was painted pink was the Eugene O'Neill for the Grease revival.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504January 10, 2022 3:17 PM

[Quote] As for working busily in your 80s, [R496]: James Earl Jones, Angela Lansbury, Chits Rivera a/k/a Chita Rivers, Marilyn Maye, Estelle Parsons, Rita Moreno, and George Abbott all disagree.

Apart from Mr. Abbott at the nd, weren't most of those guns for hire? It sounds like someone just wants to take a shit on Tommy Tune.

by Anonymousreply 505January 10, 2022 3:21 PM

As for artists who lose their magic over time, look at Meredith Willson, Neil Simon, etc. And Kander and Ebb wrote some lovely tunes late in life, but their shows generally bombed after CHICAGO. (Did SPIDER WOMAN recoup?)

by Anonymousreply 506January 10, 2022 3:35 PM

The horrendous facade for Grease at the O'Neill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507January 10, 2022 3:35 PM

[quote]Once again, Datalounge is consumed arguing over musicals from the 80s and 90s. Yawn.

Not much new stuff to talk about, other than continually speculating about and bemoaning the COVID situation.

by Anonymousreply 508January 10, 2022 3:38 PM

[quote]It sounds like someone just wants to take a shit on Tommy Tune.

Not sure what's wrong with telling the facts about his career since the mid '90s, as long as we acknowledge his great successes before that time. And people probably wouldn't be prone to "take a shit" on him if he just had a string of flops and misfires, but it's all the bad faith stuff -- the BUSKER ALLEY thing, the plant in the audience for that Off-Broadway show, the plastering of his name all over that GREASE revival even though he didn't direct or choreograph it -- that have marred his legacy.

by Anonymousreply 509January 10, 2022 3:40 PM

Playwright here who's worked with Paulus.

She and her husband Randy are two of the biggest users I've ever met. Not just in show business, but in life. So know that first.

Paulus does carry a sense of entitlement with her everywhere she goes (she and Randy met at Harvard), and it's been fascinating to watch her go from hot thing (with "The Donkey Show") to persona non grata (for years) to being a Tony-winning director. (You can thank Oskar Eustis for that undeserved career renaissance, which subsequently led to her being hired at ART.)

She has some talent and ability, but she's terrible with new material. (I don't remember getting a single useful note from her, and I like notes.) I'm surprised "Waitress" turned out as good as it did, but it was based upon a film, so there was source material to work with, and a very talented composer. When "Jagged Little Pill" worked it was because it was based upon an iconic album, but putting Paulus with a neophyte book writer was not a good idea, which was why that show feels overly stuffed and artistically starved simultaneously, Book Tony Award be damned. (When your main competition is "Moulin Rouge," you better win.)

I refused to see "Finding Neverland" so will not comment on that.

Because of her recent track record she now gets some great people to work with her, so that might be reason enough to join whatever project she's doing. But you've been warned.

by Anonymousreply 510January 10, 2022 3:44 PM

[quote] plastering of his name all over that GREASE revival

Probably the Weisslers [italic] begged [/italic] him for his name when former standby and possible bf Jeff Calhoun was the director/chreographer.

[quote] Can you make a list of the stuff I left out?

Please don't.

by Anonymousreply 511January 10, 2022 3:44 PM

This is very sweet.....

Charlotte d'Amboise Honors Ann Reinking at CHICAGO's 25 Anniversary Performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512January 10, 2022 3:45 PM

Re: Tommy Tune

From what I hear he's rather embittered by how the industry now treats him. Won't even discuss accepting lifetime honorary awards from various orgs as a result.

by Anonymousreply 513January 10, 2022 3:46 PM

thanks r510 that's really interesting stuff.

[quote] Let's not even get into the sleazy financial arrangements with her husband at Oberon. The Boston Globe did great reporting on this, but no other outlet picked up on it.

r445 I'm not having luck finding the article, any chance you can? So much other coverage of her in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 514January 10, 2022 3:47 PM

Estelle parsons lost her husband/partner a few months ago, and has been in a steady decline since. Sutton Foster lives in her building next door to an ex. He says Estelle now has someone coming in to help her.

by Anonymousreply 515January 10, 2022 4:03 PM

Britney did the same to my K-Mart, r504.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516January 10, 2022 4:06 PM

[quote] Jeez, we get it, people on DL don't like the new Black-centric plays.

It's an interesting conundrum that producers (such as Jordan Roth) have gotten themselves into. They ran out and joined the bandwagon regarding more diverse theater, but audiences clearly did not join that bandwagon. How much money are they willing to lose for their statement? When they do pull the plug how quickly will artists like Jeremy Harris run out and call them racist for not losing money on shitty plays that the audiences are not interested in?

Also, it seems to me very phony to have the Daryl Roth Theater papered over in BLM slogans (not sure if it still is, it was a few months ago), when Daryl Roth went to Trump's inaugural and they still support him.

by Anonymousreply 517January 10, 2022 4:12 PM

[Quote] the plastering of his name all over that GREASE revival even though he didn't direct or choreograph it -- that have marred his legacy.

Has Martin Charnin's legacy been marred?

by Anonymousreply 518January 10, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote] Sutton Foster lives in her building next door to an ex. He says Estelle now has someone coming in to help her.

Why is Sutton gossiping about Estelle Parsons.

by Anonymousreply 519January 10, 2022 4:27 PM

[Quote] Why is Sutton gossiping about Estelle Parsons.

The ex is gossiping, not Sutton.

by Anonymousreply 520January 10, 2022 4:30 PM

R494 gave us a very concise synopsis of what made Tommy Tune so influential.

Let me just add that I've met him (a long time ago) and he's quite pleasant. Artistic but down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 521January 10, 2022 4:33 PM

Singapore/Fling's now got 2 wingmen on ATC -- the previously exposed ryhog (incensed that someone is referring to him and S/F regarding the Golden Globes thread) and Sam890, starting to reveal his nutsy affiliation with the chief agenda nutcase over there.

by Anonymousreply 522January 10, 2022 4:34 PM

Remember the pukey green for Footloose?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523January 10, 2022 4:35 PM

Remember the puking the restrooms during intermission of Footloose?

by Anonymousreply 524January 10, 2022 5:26 PM

I didn't see it, r524. I was pissed Side Show closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525January 10, 2022 5:39 PM

[quote]From what I hear he's rather embittered by how the industry now treats him. Won't even discuss accepting lifetime honorary awards from various orgs as a result.

The way "the industry now treats him" is based on his own behavior and his apparent loss of motivation and/or talent as a director/choreographer since the mid 1990s. I'm told he really had to be talked into making that appearance in that Encores show, they had to treat him with kid gloves, and many people suspected he would drop out of the show at the last minute. That's how neurotic he has become, but you might be right that there's a lot of bitterness involved as well.

by Anonymousreply 526January 10, 2022 5:43 PM

[quote]Why is Sutton gossiping about Estelle Parsons.

[quote]The ex is gossiping, not Sutton.

Why is Christian Borle gossiping about Estelle Parsons?

by Anonymousreply 527January 10, 2022 6:05 PM

I wish Stockard Channing would write an autobiography. I bet she has a lot to say: Original Broadway cast "Two Gentlemen of Verona," replacing Liza in "The Rink" working with Joan Rivers on that ugly girl tv movie, Grease, two failed sitcoms, Six Degrees, The West Wing, etc.

Spill it gurl! Spill it all!

by Anonymousreply 528January 10, 2022 6:11 PM

Didn't The Rink last about a month with Susan in it?

by Anonymousreply 529January 10, 2022 6:13 PM

[quote]I'm told he really had to be talked into making that appearance in that Encores show, they had to treat him with kid gloves, and many people suspected he would drop out of the show at the last minute. That's how neurotic he has become...

I'm pretty sure, r526, it had more to do with him being 76 than neurosis.

by Anonymousreply 530January 10, 2022 6:14 PM

R522 If we cared about ATC, we'd be on ATC

by Anonymousreply 531January 10, 2022 6:17 PM

[quote[Didn't The Rink last about a month with Susan in it?

The show was already on its way out. Liza left and Stockard came in just to put the nails in the coffin. But Chita was still working it!

by Anonymousreply 532January 10, 2022 6:19 PM

Speak for yourself, r531. Who do ya think ya are, Queen fuckin' Victoria?

by Anonymousreply 533January 10, 2022 6:24 PM

Stockard...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534January 10, 2022 6:36 PM

Ah, Ma!

by Anonymousreply 535January 10, 2022 6:39 PM

r522 is annoying. r531 is right. r533 is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 536January 10, 2022 6:49 PM

R494, you forgot one of Tommy Tune’s hits. In 1981, he directed Caryl Churchill’s Cloud 9 at the Theatre De Lys. It was a huge hit and ran for years. It was a straight play, not a musical.

by Anonymousreply 537January 10, 2022 6:52 PM

Charlotte will be back in Chicago tonite celebrating 25 years with the production. Go girl!

by Anonymousreply 538January 10, 2022 6:52 PM

I wonder if ATC's Singapore/Fling = Chris Peterson of On Stage Blog?

by Anonymousreply 539January 10, 2022 6:55 PM

I don’t think so, r539. Isn’t Chris Peterson “married” to a woman?

by Anonymousreply 540January 10, 2022 6:56 PM

S/F is supposedly a teacher, possibly of theate, with a black bf, both described as non-cis recently by themself -- can't keep track of S/F's pronouns. Probably the most noxious poster on ATC, yet Ann won't bANN him/her/it.

by Anonymousreply 541January 10, 2022 6:59 PM

theater, oops

by Anonymousreply 542January 10, 2022 7:01 PM

I guess Chita thought her stage make up would look good on camera for that Liz Smith interview.

by Anonymousreply 543January 10, 2022 7:01 PM

[quote]Won't even discuss accepting lifetime honorary awards from various orgs as a result.

I initially read this as "awards from various orgies."

by Anonymousreply 544January 10, 2022 7:02 PM

[quote]Correction : people on DL don't like ANYTHING.......except Sondheim.

And mostly just "Follies."

by Anonymousreply 545January 10, 2022 7:04 PM

And in 1976, before CLOUD NINE, Tommy directed the very successful off-Broadway musical THE CLUB at Circle in the Square Downtown, which ran for almost 2 years and won numerous Obies. He really began his directing career with a couple of very interesting and quirky credits.

by Anonymousreply 546January 10, 2022 7:12 PM

Anyone else watch Gavin Creel's cabaret show from the Westport Country Playhouse on PBS? It was... fine? I thought the best part was his interpolating Another Hundred People with the story about the first time he came to New York. I didn't think his dyed hair did him any favors, but I'm not the boss of him. Interestingly, every time they showed the audience it was the back of their heads, so they appeared maskless (in one brief shot from the side of the house you could see masks). Shoshana Bean up this week.

by Anonymousreply 547January 10, 2022 7:12 PM

No...I'm not, r536, you judgmental putz.

by Anonymousreply 548January 10, 2022 7:25 PM

Understood, R530, but either decide you can still do it or you can't, don't leave everybody guessing as to whether you're going to drop out at the last minute. Like he did when he canceled that show he was going to do at the community house in Cherry Grove on Fire Island a few days beforehand, even though it wasn't exactly going to be a high-profile event with critics in attendance.

by Anonymousreply 549January 10, 2022 7:35 PM

R529 Susan who?

by Anonymousreply 550January 10, 2022 7:40 PM

I'm willing to cut him more slack than you are, r549.

by Anonymousreply 551January 10, 2022 7:44 PM

Gavin Creel did quite a nice acoustic EP about ten years ago. Did he perform any of his own songs on PBS?

by Anonymousreply 552January 10, 2022 7:47 PM

[quote][R529] Susan who?

Stockard Channing's real first name is Susan.

Susan Stockard Channing Schmidt Debin Rawle (4 marriages, 4 divorces!)

by Anonymousreply 553January 10, 2022 7:49 PM

One, R552, from a piece commissioned by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (about an Albrecht Durer painting).

by Anonymousreply 554January 10, 2022 7:54 PM

Yeah, I think an unauthorized bio of Stockard would be more interesting than a memoir, if you know what I mean. I sure would like to eventually learn the details of Christian Hoff's departure from PAL JOEY.

by Anonymousreply 555January 10, 2022 7:55 PM

She was born Susan Williams Antonia Stockard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556January 10, 2022 7:56 PM

What does Stockard look like nowadays? Those pics on morning (I think, UK) television were horrific.

by Anonymousreply 557January 10, 2022 7:58 PM

R554 Despite the fact he'd lived in New York for decades and yet only visited The Met for the first time in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 558January 10, 2022 8:02 PM

Well R558 didn't he used to date (or at least FWB) someone who works at the Met?

by Anonymousreply 559January 10, 2022 8:08 PM

R557, in her last Broadway stage appearance, she was almost unrecognizable due to extensive and aggressive work on her face. That was seven years ago.

by Anonymousreply 560January 10, 2022 8:12 PM

And yet, ahem, here's the photo on her ibdb page......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561January 10, 2022 8:13 PM

[quote]Stockard Channing's real first name is Susan.

We have that in common, then.

by Anonymousreply 562January 10, 2022 8:24 PM

This looks like an exploitation movie. Have any of you seen it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563January 10, 2022 8:31 PM

I've seen it. it's not really an exploitation film. It's rather offbeat and quite interesting if not wholly successful. It feels like a hybrid of a 90s indie and a 70s drive in film. I enjoyed it, even though I can't say it's a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 564January 10, 2022 8:59 PM

Stockard had such a strange movie career.

by Anonymousreply 565January 10, 2022 9:12 PM

Does anyone remember the story Tommy Tune told (I forget where, could be his bio but i know I read it elsewhere) about him being seriously considered for film stardom in some big role in the early/mid 70s. He went to see Josephine Baker do a show on NYE and she invited people to come up on stage with her and dance towards the end and Tommy joined in. His claim was that someone saw him onstage, thought he looked less than masculine and the next week, the offer mysteriously disappeared.

I remember rolling my eyes at that because Tune never looked like anything but a freakishly tall effeminate queen, and was not the stuff movie stars were made of, especially not back in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 566January 10, 2022 9:20 PM

When they were casting Dirty Harry, it came down between Clint Eastwood and Tommy Eastwood. Same thing with Death Wish; Charles Bronson and Tommy Tune. Poor Tommy, always the bridesmaid.

by Anonymousreply 567January 10, 2022 9:56 PM

Who is Tommy Eastwood?

by Anonymousreply 568January 10, 2022 9:57 PM

Tommy was supposed to play Jaws in "The Spy Who Loved Me."

by Anonymousreply 569January 10, 2022 9:59 PM

Ugh. I should never try to be clever when I’m a.) high and b.) not really clever.

by Anonymousreply 570January 10, 2022 10:00 PM

Stanley Kauffmann said that Channing was like Hepburn in that you knew she was from the upper crust. I never saw it or maybe I just don't know what high society is like. I know she has an elite background but I don't know how it shows up in her performances.

She often said that people can call her Stock, Stockard or Susan but when they try to be cute and. call her stocky or stockyard, they're going to be slapped.

by Anonymousreply 571January 10, 2022 10:20 PM

Tommy Tune was in the movies “Hello Dolly” and “The Boyfriend.” Maybe Barbra and Twiggy had him blacklisted.

Maybe if Lucille Ball had invited him to be in the movie “Mame” he would have had a career in movie musicals. But, Gary talked her out of using him.

by Anonymousreply 572January 10, 2022 10:20 PM

Well, I always thought Elaine Stritch seemed like a fish wife, but apparently she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 573January 10, 2022 10:20 PM

[quote]Has the usher at Roundabout who reads bitches for filth before the show to instill fear if they so much as cough during the proceedings been discussed here?

R471 years ago there was an usher in the mezzanine of the Cort Theater who would read the riot act to patrons before the show. She was concerned about folks who change their seats during the performance, because the theater was half empty. During the show, she would patrol the aisles like a Nazi Mistress to make sure no one dared violate her edict. During the late 80s and 90s, lots of poorly attended shows played the Cort, but she was adamant in making sure that you sat in the seats you paid for (mostly TDF seats.) Quite a performance. I kinda miss her.

by Anonymousreply 574January 10, 2022 10:25 PM

[quote] Stanley Kauffmann said that Channing was like Hepburn in that you knew she was from the upper crust. I never saw it or maybe I just don't know what high society is like. I know she has an elite background but I don't know how it shows up in her performances.

I think it sort of shows up in Grease. She’s just not as earthy as Rizzo should be.

Her replacement in The House of Blue Leaves, Christine Baranski, was better at switching between classes. She was the perfect Bunny, yet later went on to play upper class women.

by Anonymousreply 575January 10, 2022 10:30 PM

"Well he sounds like a drag."

by Anonymousreply 576January 10, 2022 10:32 PM

To be fair to that usher, that was pretty much the rule. I worked front of the house when I was a teenager and through college and we were told to make sure no one moved seats until late seating was done. And actually, I am still seeing it happen. I went to see My Fair Lady in early 2019. I had a TDF ticket and I was jammed into one of the awful raked rows, which I loathe because my knees start hurting after 45 min if I can't stretch my legs out. I wanted to go sit in the back row of the mezz where no one was and made the mistake of asking the usher if I could move (to a worse seat) and she made such a fuss. Of course no one wound up there so I moved during intermission and was able to spread my legs out and stretch them.

by Anonymousreply 577January 10, 2022 10:33 PM

I'm so glad your legs are okay.

by Anonymousreply 578January 10, 2022 10:53 PM

And spread.

by Anonymousreply 579January 10, 2022 11:00 PM

I'm enjoying the stories about Tommy Tune, but I wish there were nicer things being said. When he was at his peak, he directed some of the most iconic shows on Broadway (and a insanely good "9" Off Broadway). Not only that but he's a gentleman and very gracious person. But of course, people love to be nasty.

by Anonymousreply 580January 10, 2022 11:05 PM

Stockard was better than Liza in The Rink. Liza was too distracting. Stockard pulled of the hippie aspect better and she worked well with Chita. Vocally, she was no powerhouse but she was fine.

by Anonymousreply 581January 10, 2022 11:31 PM

As a director, dancer. and choreographer, Tune is the last of that generation (Fosse, Michael Bennett) who really understood musicals: great, surprising, unforgettable staging of songs. THAT is what many of us come to musicals for.

Most newer directors don't have it and they can't bring it like those 3 could.

by Anonymousreply 582January 10, 2022 11:34 PM

Tune was fun in "The Boy Friend", but he was playing a second lead, which is mostly likely the most he might have been in the 70s films, plus musicals were on their way out for quite a while. Twiggy and he later were romantically involved during "My One and Only" when he tried being bi or straight. But usn't that the show where Bette Midler infamously made a statement at an awards ceremony about his co-winner/sometime lover on the order of "How does he fit?"

by Anonymousreply 583January 11, 2022 12:09 AM

"wasn't" that

by Anonymousreply 584January 11, 2022 12:10 AM

Let's add Robbins and Champion to that list, r582.

by Anonymousreply 585January 11, 2022 12:10 AM

Add Onna White and Joe Layton to the choreographers. Their dances are usually so much fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 586January 11, 2022 12:12 AM

TT and Twig weren’t on speaking terms towards the end of their run. They’ve since kissed and made up

by Anonymousreply 587January 11, 2022 12:12 AM

Susan Strohman tried for a while, but she used a lot of gimmicky staging involving props, which worked for a while, but not endlessly.

by Anonymousreply 588January 11, 2022 12:18 AM

Two switching seats stories:

R577, that was awful of that usher to treat you that way. I guess I lucked out because when I went to see Kevin Kline in "Present Laughter," my seat in orchestra center was in a very tight row and my knees were all jammed up against the seat in front of me and I was so uncomfortable during all of act one. In fact, at a certain point I decided it just wasn't worth it and would leave at intermission and go home. Well, at intermission I got up, put my coat on and was heading through the lobby out of the theater when the theater manager spotted me and asked me why I was leaving. I told him the show was fine but my seat was just too cramped and that my legs couldn't go another hour like that, so I decided to skip the second act and go home. He told me to wait, don't go anywhere. He went away for about a minute, then came back and told me to follow him. He took me to a seat at the end of an aisle closer to the stage where I could stretch out my legs and asked me if that would get me to stay. I told him sure and thank you very much. Again, just a stroke of luck.

My second switching-seats story happened on the night a friend and I went to see "Wicked." There was a bad storm in NYC that evening but we made it to the theater anyway and, lo and behold, it was only a little over half full. Tons of empty seats everywhere. We were in the left orchestra far against the wall, so the seats weren't the best. My friend, looking out at all the empty seats in the center section, was wondering if we could move over but I told him we probably shouldn't try it since there was an usher standing right next to our row. Well, first act goes by, then at intermission, we notice other people starting to move over into those still-empty seats. My friend said hell, if everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't we, so I went over to ask the usher if it would be okay and she said sure, go ahead. She said all of those seats were empty likely because a large group that had bought tickets for that night didn't show up due to the storm, and since it was highly unlikely she said that they'd be showing up for the second act, we were free to take them. So I said thanks and my friend and I switched to much better seats for the second act of the show.

Actually, that reminds me that my friend and I switched to better seats for "Cinderella," too. We were in the mezzanine and since it wasn't sold out, we just took the liberty of moving without permission for that one (also during intermission). Memories!!

by Anonymousreply 589January 11, 2022 12:19 AM

Susan Strohman seems like a genuinely nice person, and she has her loyal fans.

But IMHO, she is nowhere near the league of Tune, Fosse, Robbins, or Bennett. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 590January 11, 2022 12:23 AM

But Tune is by most reports retired, and the others are dead. Musical theater fans hope for someone great to continue the tradition. For a while, it seemed Stroman, with "Crazy for You" and "The Producers", might be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 591January 11, 2022 12:26 AM

Stro's successors: Christopher Gattelli, Andy Blankenbeuhler, Sergio Trujillo, Joshua Bergasse and certainly Kathleen Marshall and Rob Ashford, all began as choreographers (and all the men were Broadway chorus dancers) who had some brief great success but then ultimately failed as directors.

And now we're stuck with the likes of Alex Timbers directing "hit" musicals.

by Anonymousreply 592January 11, 2022 12:42 AM

Warren Carlyle, who was one of Stro's original assistants/associates has gone on to do some very inspired work on his own. Far more inventive and in service of the material than what can be said of Rob Ashford (ugh) and Kathleen Marshall's work.

That said, I hear Carlyle's choreo for 'The Music Man', while quite excellent, is in excess and needing significant chopping. Hopefully Zaks will take an exacto knife to it (like he did with Guys & Dolls) and leave only the best on display.

by Anonymousreply 593January 11, 2022 12:54 AM

Talk about gimmicky staging. Alex Timbers is all about sets and busy eye candy. The actors often feel like an afterthought to me. Why do so many think he's all that as a director?

I loved AMERICAN UTOPIA, but the wonderful choreographer Annie-B Parson deserves most of the credit for that, if you ask me (and the cast, of course).

by Anonymousreply 594January 11, 2022 12:58 AM

Shouldn’t Hal Prince be on that list of directors who understood musicals?

by Anonymousreply 595January 11, 2022 1:05 AM

I thought the reason Tommy Tune fell out of favor rather quickly was due to the fact that the chorus boys and male understudies he worked with over the decades became middle aged men in various positions of power at arts and entertainment organizations......and they remembered him.

by Anonymousreply 596January 11, 2022 1:37 AM

After "Chicago", Fosse forgot everything he learned about musicals.

by Anonymousreply 597January 11, 2022 1:42 AM

If, back in the day, Judy Kuhn had married Tommy Tune, she's be Mrs. Judy Kuhn Tune.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 598January 11, 2022 2:28 AM

Oh my, and if Judy had then divorced Tommy and married Mickey she could have billed herself as Judy Kuhn Tune Rooney.

Now that's got rhythm!

by Anonymousreply 599January 11, 2022 2:31 AM

I loved AMERICAN UTOPIA, but the wonderful choreographer Annie-B Parson deserves ALL of the credit for that, if you ask me (and the cast, of course).

Fixed that for you R594 :-)

by Anonymousreply 600January 11, 2022 2:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!