Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Books you're reading in 2022

What did you get for Christmas you're dying to read? What will you devour while cooped up for the long winter months?

I'm reading an older novel--Small Island, by Andrea Levy--but it's very funny, and long, and just the right thing for the season. It's about a small group of Jamaicans coming to Britain during WW2 and then settling there as part of the Windrush Generation in 1948, facing enormous resistance from the British populace, who felt they won a war only to see their nation invaded by foreigners as the Empire fell. It's got absolutely terrific characters, and seems beautifully researched.

by Anonymousreply 72January 25, 2022 7:12 PM

My Wish List:

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence

War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy

The Lady in White by Wilkie Collins

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2022 5:04 AM

"U Up?" by Catie Disabato.

Was on the 2021 NYT best of list for mystery novels.

Started it this weekend and I'm hooked.

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2022 5:30 AM

[quote] I'm reading an older novel

OP, your description sounds like you've read it already.

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2022 5:37 AM

"Set The Night On Fire" by Robby Krieger - tells about his life with Jim Morrison and The Doors these many years later. Good read so far.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2022 5:55 AM

Any good gossip on Morrison? I read one years ago that alleged he was very bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2022 5:56 AM

Just finished Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford. It was odd at first, then got interesting, then ended beautifully. I'll read more by and about her now.

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2022 5:57 AM

R4 he's going to be 76 this January 8th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2022 5:59 AM

R5 He stated that in front of the other members Jim jumped on top of him and pretended that he was humping him, putting all the moves on him. Just joking around - apparently Jim had no boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2022 6:03 AM

Interesting. I wondered how much was bullshit. I don't doubt there's some truth. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2022 6:11 AM

[quote] The Lady in White by Wilkie Collins

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2022 7:04 AM

Somewhere between a short story and a novella, this small gem of a novel is a heartbreaking story that’s bound to become a modern classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2022 3:50 PM

I'm liking this thread.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2022 12:11 AM

Just started "Less than Zero" by Bret Easton Ellis which I've somehow never read. It's a mood. Despite it's reputation as a quintessential 1980s story, it doesn't feel dated. Read 60 pages this morning before work, I'll get through this one fast.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2022 2:25 AM

I just finished Barbarians at the Gate, a very fun and readable account of the last really big LBO of the 80s — the fall of RJR Nabisco.

Now I’m reading “Lord of the Flies,” which I managed to avoid having to read in school, but figured I should read it before I die.

Next up will be Liar’s Poker, because I’m on an 80s finance kick lately.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2022 2:34 AM

just finished Kane & Abel. 1st book in a fine family saga. great story telling on Archer's part. on to vol 2....

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 6:45 PM

"4000 Weeks" by Oliver Burkeman- just a wonderful book, highly recommended

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 6:52 PM

Good Behaviour by Molly Keane. It gets better as it goes along, although I want to strangle the Anglo-Irish aristos for being clueless as to how the real world -- outside of hunt balls, shooting parties and horse auctions -- really operates. Which I guess is the point.

Up next: Robertson Davies' The Deptford Trilogy. I read it decades ago and loved it, even though now I remember nothing about it except for a snowball, so I'm looking forward to rediscovering it.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2022 6:55 PM

I’m finally reading Mary McCarthy’s THE GROUP after it’s sat on my bookshelf for ten years and I’m simply loving it. The writing and dialogue move so fast and well and I really enjoy her characterizations. Her eye for detail to set a mood is also strong. Fun novel that I’ll probably finish tonight.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 7:09 PM

Just finished Day of the Locust.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 7:13 PM

Good Behaviour is high on my list, R17.

Finishing up the Zuleika Dobson, which I thoroughly disliked; all the glowing reviews leave me wondering if we read the same book?

Never read any Vita S-W before, do will try her 1926 travelougue: Passenger to Tehran. From what I've seen of her style, I doubt her novels would be for me.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 7:21 PM

[quote]facing enormous resistance from the British populace, who felt they won a war only to see their nation invaded by foreigners as the Empire fell.

Humans, eh? I wonder if that populace ever realised that they themselves were the initial invading foreigners in these other people's countries. I bet it was "oh, but that's different!"

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 7:32 PM

Now I'm reading Fires of Autumn by Irene Nemirovksy, stumbling through the French library book and then double-checking with my English copy I never got around to reading. In the first few chapters there was a set piece of a man's death in World War that's devastating. Looking forward to the rest.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 7:36 PM

OP, I read 'Small Island' a few years ago...it's a fantastic book. I also watched the 2004 BBC mini series with Naomie Harris and Ruth Wilson...also very good. I'm currently read a 'Dial A for Aunties' by Jesse Sutanto...it's about a 20-something woman dealing with her overbearing Asian/Indonesian aunties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 7:41 PM

just finishing CLOUD CUCKOO LAND. slow start, but one of the most beautiful books i've read in a long time. such carefully blended tales. well worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2022 3:45 PM

APARTMENT by Teddy Wayne. Could not put it down (literally) and read it in one sitting. Slim novel and great writing and characters.

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2022 3:49 PM

[quote] the British populace, who felt they won a war only to see their nation invaded by foreigners as the Empire fell.

Well, turnabout is fair play.

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2022 3:56 PM

Just starting “Leonardo Da Vinci” by Walter Issacson. Looks to be good…

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2022 4:02 PM

This is great news as an afterlife for Afterparties. It was one of the best short story collections I’ve read in years. It will be interesting to see how they get actors for this though. And hopefully they will lean into the gay characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2022 4:05 PM

The Brian Cox memoir is pretty funny. He holds nothing back.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2022 4:15 PM

I'd like to second recommendations upthread for SMALL ISLAND, GOOD BEHAVIOR and THE GROUP, all wonderful novels I've read in the last few years. And, of course, CLOUD CUCKOO LAND, last year's and pretty much ANY year's best novel ever.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2022 4:20 PM

Anyone read this yet? It sounds like a whole hell of a lot is going on here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2022 4:24 PM

Feeling depressed so I needed some easy reading and decided to return to a Ruth Rendell Inspector Wexford mystery, HARM DONE, which I missed when it first appeared in the late 1990s. So good!

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2022 4:31 PM

The Punishment She Deserves: An Inspector Lynley novel by Elizabeth George. I love her Lynley books but some of the others are not as enjoyable.

Up next is In Cold Blood. I've never read it and am prepared for the gore.

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2022 5:09 PM

So far I've finished one book: Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Next in the queue are:

Anna Karenina (which I've been reading off-and-on for a few years now...it's great, but seemingly endless)

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Libra by Don DeLillo

Runaway by Alice Munro

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney

The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel

Basically, I want to read all of the books I own and have never read. Between movies and TV shows, it's hard for me to read unless I'm on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2022 5:18 PM

That's a hell of a lot of good reading, r34. Several of my all-time favorites.

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2022 10:04 PM

I've read Anna Karenina twice (it helps to read it during a snowy winter, at least for me). The second time I skimmed nearly all the Levin chapters. Man, can Tolstoy gas on when he's already made his point about the land and the peasants four times. The rest of the book is a delicious, tragic soap opera. (See also: War and Peace. The battle scenes were interminable to me; everything else fantastic and fascinating.)

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2022 10:33 PM

Finished [italic]Passenger to Tehran[/italic] by Vita Sackville-West. Worked for its shorter length, but don't think I'd like her fiction.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2022 10:46 PM

Great news, r28! I am almost done reading "Afterparties" and have been thoroughly enjoying the stories.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2022 11:16 PM

To Paradise: A Novel, by Hanya Yanagihara.

Edmund White said, "It's as good as War and Peace."

All I know is that I can hardly put it down...and I haven't read a book like that in a while.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2022 11:23 PM

Really, r39? I just heard a very bad review of it by Maureen Corrigan on NPR and she usually loves everything. But I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it and I'll look forward to more reviews. I was not a fan of A Little Life.

by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2022 11:26 PM

Got it this Christmas: The Strange Order of Things by Antonio Damasio, a Portuguese/American neuroscientist. I have been lazy with my reading but this can be devoured in one day (obviously if you are interested in the subject, like I am). It's just fascinating, very well written and accessible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2022 11:38 PM

R39 I’m about 90% done and I’m frantically reading and dreading what might come. At the moment it seems to be one of the clearer inheritors to 1984 despite all the dystopian literature that has come since. I do have a theory that it should really be read in reverse, the third part first, then the middle and finally the first part.

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2022 11:50 PM

R36, you’ve identified my main problem with Anna Karenina: The Levin chapters! I don’t even dislike the character, but my bookmark is currently lodged in a chapter where late 19th century farming practices in Russia are being discussed in great detail…for the thousandth time. The Anna-centric chapters just breeze by…

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2022 12:29 AM

I just started Tropic Moon by Georges Simenon. I'm really liking it so far

by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2022 11:27 PM

Thanks for all your recommendations (for those who didn't just list names and titles). Already bookmarked four of your books. Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2022 11:44 PM

The Accidental Plague Diaries by Andrew Duxbury

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2022 12:14 AM

THE OTHER BLACK GIRL by Zakiya Dalila Harris. Sort of a The Devil Wears Prada meets The Stepford Wives meets GET OUT.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2022 1:09 AM

I'm meandering through The Book Of Accidents by Chuck Wendig which is very similar to Wes Craven's Shocker idea wise but is trying to be coy about it. Might walk away.

I've also been working through Thomas Ligotti's short story collection Grimscribe.

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2022 1:54 AM

Have lately been on a Cynthia Ozick kick: The Messiah of Stockholm, Cannibal Galaxy, The Antiquities.

Have long enjoyed Martha Grimes's Richard Jury mysteries and am rereading Winds of Change and The Grave Maurice.

+ Rennie Airth John Madden mysteries: River of Darkness, The Dead of Winter, The Blood-Dimmed Tide.

+ Mrs. Dalloway, Fall on Your Knees, Station Eleven

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2022 2:14 AM

I'm now finally starting the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo. I'm curious if it can hold my interest.

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2022 2:28 AM

I'm taking another stab at The Bible. And I'm having my first go at The Bhagavad Gita. Guess I'm feeling spiritual. The Datalounge makes for an interesting chaser after a reading session.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2022 3:52 AM

Upon the suggestion of my eldergay therapist, I'm probably going to read Fun Home, finally.

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2022 4:03 AM

R52 Still one of the best Graphic Novel memoirs, up there with the Persepolis ones.

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2022 4:19 AM

About halfway through "Before the Fall" by Noah Hawley. Smart, fast-paced suspense novel that starts with a private jet crashing into the ocean off Martha's Vineyard, then ping-pongs between what led up to it and the fallout.

Hawley is the creative force behind the "Fargo" TV show and also writes novels. This one sort of reminds me of Stephen King but without the hacky prose and corny boomer taste.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2022 5:05 PM

I read Before the Fall. It's disconcerting I have no memory of the plot, the characters and my opinion of the book. I think it's more about my Swiss cheese memory than the book.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2022 9:13 PM

No, it’s not just you, R55. I read it a couple of years ago and have zero memory of it whatsoever. Was a pilot doing drugs? I really just don’t remember.

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2022 9:41 PM

I had *a lot* of issues with The Other Black Girl. The writing is, at times, quite bad (clichés abound and some of the metaphors seemed so bad to be almost a parody). The initial set-up is promising and there is just enough percolating for the first fifty pages to get invested…and then it really goes off the rails. Too many characters, unnecessary flashbacks introducing even more characters (Elroy?) you never learn much about, and then a truly ridiculous ending that seemed to crib from several different movies at once (plot points from Get Out and The Stepford Wives are almost totally lifted). For a book that takes place at a publishing house where the author was making fun of some of the crap books that get published, I was shocked by how UNedited this book was. It’s not a great debut.

A lot of the long passages seem to be a long indictments of the publishing industry and the tyranny of “white spaces” yet there is no plot so, a lot of the times, all you really get are these screeds in the form of internal monologues from the unlikable main character.

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2022 9:49 PM

Another reader of BEFORE THE FALL that doesn't remember the plot except that it was about a plane crash. But I do remember not liking it much.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2022 11:44 PM

I have a vague memory of how Before the Fall ends. But I clearly remember that I read most of it on a long cross-country PLANE FLIGHT.

by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2022 6:43 PM

I’m reading this book from 2014 and really enjoying it. A book about gay men written by a gay man and not a frau. Praise the lord.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2022 6:47 PM

I’m reading a book- The Geography Of Nowhere / The Rise And Fall Of America’s Manmade Landscape by James Howard Kunstler.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2022 7:11 PM

Finished "Before the Fall" last night, it was well written and fast paced although I didn't really like the way he ended it. Yes, the co-pilot was strung out on drugs and had been stalking the flight attendant, and apparently because of that he decided to send the plane into a death spiral. Mind you these are two characters that you get basically zero information about until the last 30 pages of the book. Felt like a bit of a cheat. Also, the last scene with the main character, Scott, appearing on the news show with the host based on Bill O'Reilly -- somehow seemed simultaneously unrealistic but also not BIG enough. I'd been enjoying the book but ending really soured the whole thing.

Next up, "Kindred" by Octavia Butler.

by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2022 11:06 PM

I always feel betrayed by a bad ending.

by Anonymousreply 63January 24, 2022 11:36 PM

R63 How do you feel about unresolved endings? By the way if you don’t like them stay away from To Paradise, because there are three of them.

by Anonymousreply 64January 24, 2022 11:38 PM

I just finished Intimacies by Katie kitamura. Talking about unresolved endings.

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2022 12:04 AM

Tom Wolfe was the worst with disappointing endings. Bonfire of the Vanities and A Man in Full are two brilliant novels with thoroughly disappointing final chapters, like he got bored and couldn't bother to properly finish them.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2022 12:35 AM

I just ordered Corey Feldman's book. I don't know why, other than I feel his story is compelling and it deserves a read.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2022 1:32 AM

[quote]Good Behaviour by Molly Keane. It gets better as it goes along, although I want to strangle the Anglo-Irish aristos for being clueless as to how the real world -- outside of hunt balls, shooting parties and horse auctions -- really operates. Which I guess is the point.

I'm reading this one at the moment too, R17. I'm enjoying it, up to Chapter 10 currently. Am also finding it dreadfully sad at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2022 2:06 AM

Loved Good Behavior!

I then read a couple more of Molly Keane's books, Time After Time, which I liked but not as much as Good Behavior, and Loving and Giving, which I didn't care for at all. All 3 books are from her comeback in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2022 3:40 AM

I finished Good Behaviour in one sitting. I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it. It left me with a sad feeling, though. Everyone in it was so unpleasant, and the victory in the end sort of satisfies you in the moment and then you think about it more and more and wonder if it was such a victory. Excellent book though, and I can see why it was nominated for the Booker. Does the whole unreliable narrator thing very well, and characterises her enough that you can feel sorry for her while also seeing what a pain she can be too.

I borrowed it from my parents, and they also have Time After Time, so I may try that one next.

by Anonymousreply 70January 25, 2022 6:51 AM

I finished Tropic Moon. Very good.

by Anonymousreply 71January 25, 2022 3:45 PM

I've started [italic]Offshore[/italic] by Penelope Fitzgerald. Interesting novella, but I wouldn't want a full-length book here.

by Anonymousreply 72January 25, 2022 7:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!