Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone have a preference for tea bags?

I used to love PG Tips and Tension Tamer tea bags. Then I discovered Angela Lansbury only drinks 'Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold' and had to try it.

Can anybody tell the difference between tea bags?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2022 3:47 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2022 2:22 PM

Not the tea, just the bags, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2022 2:25 PM

Typhoo is cheap and really good. Lots of middle class Brits drink that one. Used to order huge things of it on Amazon, but recently I’ve been more interested in coffee.

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2022 2:35 PM

I prefer getting tea bagged in the morning. It's a great way to start the day.

by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2022 2:39 PM

There's a noticeable difference in taste betweeen Irish Breakfast and other teas due to the amount of Assam in the blend. Best Irish Breakfast: Barry's and Thompson's. Best plain old black teas, Yorkshire and Tetley's Original.

by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2022 2:40 PM

I use loose tea. Bagged tea is just dust and sweepings.

by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2022 2:41 PM

Prince of Peace on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2022 2:42 PM

I drink the tea at OP -- IIRC, I learned about it from some Brits on Datalounge.

Got a big box from Amazon and it definitely has a stronger taste.

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2022 2:43 PM

Green Tea - it's healthier for you.

by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2022 2:44 PM

Like any tea, you can tell the difference.

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2022 2:45 PM

Dark and odorous.

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2022 2:47 PM

Yes but maybe you'd have to drink a lot of tea to? I definitely notice the difference between PG Tips (weak piss) and Typhoo (way better value, stronger for sure). Those are generic teabags by the way. If you buy English Breakfast, or Assam, or Darjeeling, or Earl Grey, those definitely are distinctive again.

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2022 2:47 PM

I discovered Tension Tamer tea in 1996. Sadly the Kroger ghetto near me doesn't carry it. Or milk. Or baskets or carts for your groceries.

by Anonymousreply 13January 3, 2022 2:50 PM

Didn’t get the memo?: I have, hereby, banned all forms of teabagging in the United Kingdom, effective immediately!

by Anonymousreply 14January 3, 2022 2:52 PM

I just use tea bags for ice tea so it doesn't make much difference. Especially after I add lemon and sweet n low.

by Anonymousreply 15January 3, 2022 2:54 PM

Coco Peru loves Tension Tamer tea.

by Anonymousreply 16January 3, 2022 3:48 PM

I prefer them slapping my chin, thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 17January 3, 2022 6:25 PM

Pukka

by Anonymousreply 18January 3, 2022 11:09 PM

I was buying Yorkshire Gold for awhile but now I drink PG Tips. They taste the same to me, even though they shouldn’t.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2022 9:38 AM

The only real difference after a certain point is how they're packaged.

I like Bigelow because they're individual tea bags wrapped in foil and it keeps the tea fresh.

PG Tips and Barry's are both OK, but I don't like to buy imported tea because of the freshness issue. By the time it gets here it's been sitting an extra month at the minimum.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2022 9:41 AM

R20 — Bigelow makes an excellent Earl Grey, for a american truck stop tea. When I can't get Twinings, I can live with that. I've also gotten private label Earl Grey from supermarkets that were very good.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2022 6:52 PM

[quote] Then I discovered Angela Lansbury only drinks 'Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold'

Angie’s taste buds probably diminished twenty years ago. It happens to old people.

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2022 6:57 PM

Stash tea is great. I like PG Tips decaf black at night, it has a taste of its own.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2022 7:00 PM

Yogi Positive Energy

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2022 7:01 PM

I drink Barry’s but saw Typhoo “Extra Strong” at the store and am trying that next.

by Anonymousreply 25January 9, 2022 7:08 PM

Learn something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2022 7:13 PM

Boy, do I ever, OP!

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2022 7:18 PM

NO TEABAGGING

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2022 7:19 PM

Yes. I like musky low-hangers kind.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2022 7:23 PM

PG Tips.

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2022 7:36 PM

I love Constant Comment.

by Anonymousreply 31January 9, 2022 7:37 PM

I like buying green tea at Asian markets, Japanese teas there tend to be really good.

by Anonymousreply 32January 9, 2022 7:45 PM

Harney and Sons

Black, herbal, and green teas.

by Anonymousreply 33January 9, 2022 7:46 PM

Red Rose. The rest of you are heathens.

by Anonymousreply 34January 9, 2022 7:48 PM

English national footballer twunk Kalvin Philips likes a builder’s made with Yorkshire Gold. Can’t argue with that ⚽️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 9, 2022 7:53 PM

P G Tips? The only way is up.

by Anonymousreply 36January 9, 2022 9:27 PM

not to slutshame but babyboy Harry Winks has the most shambolic and dismal method for constructing a brew Ive ever seen

mans puts a pint of cold milk in half a cup of tinted water?? where the teabag barely even had a chance to get wet??? Winksy why bother luv

yenno I bet he pretends he's a builder's tea man on socials but in reality he doesnt drink it. guarantee hes ordering some disgusting mocha frap from the costa down the road from his place and collecting it under his girlfriends name

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2022 11:08 AM

In my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2022 11:18 AM

The internet is shameful. Just because I glanced at this thread I get an email from the English tea store.. SMDH .. Anyway, I’m partial to Darjeeling by Bigelow myself :;)

by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2022 11:19 AM

I NEED my Tension Tamer Tea!

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2022 12:12 PM

R21 Twinings? No thanks. Flavorless.

Truck stop tea is not a thing, but if it was it would be Lipton.

by Anonymousreply 41January 10, 2022 1:39 PM

I still call British people "tea bag".

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2022 1:59 PM

I stopped buying my tea in the U.S., once I discovered the different blends Twinings makes for the UK market. Their Earl Grey is much better, less bergamot I think. I go often enough so I can stock up as needed. Fortnum & Mason tea is nice too, but I love the little Twinings shop.

by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2022 2:21 PM

I am an occasional tea drinker--not daily but several times a week.

I've been liking Smith Teas out of Portland lately.

I get their loose leaf generally (Portland Breakfast, Lord Beramont, Assam). You can also get tea bags from them as well. They are sort of triangular/cone shaped to allow the tea to expand. I generally do one or two re-brews in the same sitting with loose leaf tea.

My work has two rooms with free tea/coffee in them. One room has Lipton regular and decaf. The other has a variety of Tazo tea bags.

FWIW, wirecutter recommends Taylor's of Harrowgate as the best black tea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2022 2:21 PM

R37 sounds like some kind of weird parody of how the English speak to each other when they think real people aren't listening.

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2022 2:46 PM

well given that i am English that would make sense R45 babes....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2022 2:51 PM

[Quote] Then I discovered Angela Lansbury only drinks 'Taylors

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2022 3:02 PM

What's the difference between England's national mens’ football team, and a tea bag?

The tea bag stays in the cup longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2022 12:17 PM

This afternoon I'm partaking in one of Smith Tea's herbal infusions--No24 Big Hibiscus-- in one of those British themed Keep Calm and Carry On mugs. I also enjoy their version of chamomile tea (No67--Meadow)

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2022 6:43 PM

Love hibiscus infusions. Will have to try this Smith brand R49.

by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2022 12:53 AM

I stick with Twinings English Breakfast and Bigelow Constant Comment, both decaf at night, my favorite time of day. I love curling up with a rich cup of....

Anyway, I like the strength of flavor with the Twinings but also the Orange flavor added to Constant Comment. I usually have a cup of one fallowed by a cup of the other, usually early to mid-week evenings.

by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2022 1:50 AM

Twinings Lapsang Souchong FOREVAR

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2022 2:02 AM

Barry’s.

Trader Joe’s Irish teabags

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2022 2:03 AM

Target sells PG Tips

by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2022 2:06 AM

Barry's Gold Blend in bags, also loose organic Darjeeliing tea.

by Anonymousreply 55January 12, 2022 2:10 AM

For the teabag I prefer shaved man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2022 2:12 AM

[quote]I love curling up with a rich cup of....

jizz?

by Anonymousreply 57January 12, 2022 2:30 AM

I hate Barry's. Most of my English Twitter friends swear by Yorkshire tea. I keep the Marks and Spencer Gold teabags around when I use a tea bag. I order my tea in bulk from Simpson & Vail or the Strand Tea Company outside Portland. Banaspaty Assam tea has really converted me to Assam, although I've always liked Irish Breakfast tea. But this Assam tea is perfect. I have hunted for years for a perfect Ceylon and finally decided there isn't one. Instead, I converted to a Darjeeling, because I found one that's perfect, too.

by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2022 2:57 AM

I buy my tea from Upton Tea.

Absolutely fine quality in diverse and hard-to-find selections. Great price for what you get, with lots of price points. Best Assam, Lapsang Souchong and Oolong I've found. They buy directly from growers and provide source information for all selections.

Don't buy tea bags. Make a pot or use a stainless steel infuser in your cup or mug. You won't want to deal with Twinings or Bigelow or the realm of cuppas again.

by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2022 3:06 AM

Yes, I discovered Yorkshire years ago and it's my favorite (it doesn't even have to be the Gold, the regular stuff is great too). I figured they were all the same too until I tried it.

by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2022 3:28 AM

The Smith Teas that R44 mentions definitely are good but they're wildly overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2022 3:29 AM

brewed for so long the spoon nearly stands up, three sugars, hearty splash of greentop. not gonna demand someone else do all that tho and my dad puts the milk in first (SICKO, FREAK) so for my peace of mind when I’m over my old mans house i just charge over to the kettle and announce i’m making

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2022 4:54 PM

I like Teapigs black tea blend, although I usually get it loose leaf (but they do bags, too).

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2022 4:56 PM

Depends what I’m using it for. If I’m making iced tea Lipton is fine. If I’m wanting a cuppa I go with Twinings.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2022 5:06 PM

Love me some Yorkshire tea. I stuff my bags whenever I visit the London office. It doesn’t have those bitter tannins like Lipton and such.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2022 5:08 PM

I used to use Twining's English Breakfast tea in the morning for years, then I discovered Tetley's English Breakfast was stronger and better. In the afternoon, I will have a cup of an expensive Italian or Damman Freres loose Assam tea.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2022 5:15 PM

R63 haha Teapigs have honestly scarred me for life after I was frienddumped over one of their cuppas in a posh deli/cafe. Can’t possibly drink their brews ever again.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2022 5:15 PM

I like going to the local Indian grocery and buying Assam tea from there. Well-priced, authentic and rich tasting.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2022 5:17 PM

I read an interview of Angela Lansbury in "The Guardian" about six or more years ago, when she was in a play in London. She lives in Ireland, and she said that one of the only things she demanded backstage was Barry's Tea for which she had developed a taste at home in Ireland. I saw it in the supermarket here in the US and decided to give it a try.

So, Barry's Tea it is!

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2022 5:21 PM

Sainsburys own.

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2022 5:30 PM

Just plain ordinary Liptons

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2022 6:42 PM

R70 sainbos tea selection is a bit picked over whenever i go in there. dunno why

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2022 12:54 AM

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I had Salada brand Orange Pekoe (probably filched from a hotel room caddy) and it had outstanding FLAVAH.

I got all enthusiastic years ago about Palais des Thés "Blue of London" (an Earl Grey), but then the place I got it stopped selling it, and in any case it cost an arm and a leg (I think around $15 for 20 bags).

by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2022 2:26 PM

Only a little milk, please, and no sugar!

I grew up with Twinings, but I'm not overly bothered where my Earl Grey comes from, as long as it's a decent brand. (Tesco Finest is lovely.)

I'm not a big fan of PG Tips, but if that's all on offer, I'll drink it. Tea Pigs Everyday tea is horrible, though.

by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2022 2:37 PM

When I was a little kid I refused to drink Swee Touch Nee tea because it was orange pekoe. I didn’t want to taste orange flavored tea. I was told it didn’t taste like oranges and I said “yeah sure, you’re the one who told me candied yams taste just like candy and spinach would put hair in my chest. I’m not trusting you.”

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2022 3:47 PM

Hair ON my chest

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2022 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!