Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The ultimate meltdown

Tootie Ramsey is told, by Mrs. Garrett, that she cannot go to the Jermaine Jackson concert. I’ve never in all my life seen such a meltdown.

Pssst… Dan Ackroyd laughing at Tootie is an added bonus to the video clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2022 4:20 PM

If I had been Mrs. Garrett, I would have told her to calm the fuck down. If that didn’t work I would have asked Jo to beat the shit out of her.

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2021 5:06 PM

Kim Fields should have won an Emmy for this performance.

by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2021 5:08 PM

What makes more embarrassing is that it's over Jermaine Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2021 5:08 PM

Mrs. Garrett always creeped me out.

She looks evil.

I honestly don't know why I feel that way, but she just has a creepy vibe.

And her reaction to Tootie's meltdown was bizarre. Almost robotic.

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2021 5:09 PM

I like how Jermaine Jackson took pity on Tootie during the episode when she was getting trampled. He spoke to her in that baby whisper coo Jackson voice.

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2021 5:10 PM

R4 she was used to Tootie’s shit after living with the bitch for over 3 years at that point. I liked Mrs. G.

by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2021 5:12 PM

I believe Tootie would have fucked and sucked a goat to go to that shitty concert

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2021 5:13 PM

It is that mushroom haircut that makes women crazy!

by Anonymousreply 8December 31, 2021 5:16 PM

Mrs. Garrett went to the Miss Warwick School of Slapping, she should have slapped the little bitch out of her shoes.

by Anonymousreply 9December 31, 2021 5:18 PM

Mrs. Garrett is a bit macabre actually. Maybe it’s because she was in The Worst Witch.

by Anonymousreply 10December 31, 2021 5:20 PM

Molly would've NEVER freaked out over Jermaine Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 11December 31, 2021 5:27 PM

Blair should have thrown some Warner shade at Tootiie…. “Jermaine Jackson!?? Um, don’t you mean MICHAEL? I have his new album - Thriller and I think it’s simply brilliant”!!

by Anonymousreply 12December 31, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote] I believe Tootie would have fucked and sucked a goat to go to that shitty concert

How do you know that she hasn't?

That bitch is desperate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 31, 2021 5:35 PM

What’s her problem?

by Anonymousreply 14December 31, 2021 5:42 PM

OP, seriously, you've never dealt with teenagers before? the over the top panic when they're denied something they believe is apex of their life?

and if we look at Tootie's overall arc... her parents were stuffy and pretty much tiger parents, they wouldn't have allowed her to go even without the prior commitment... especially given this plays into her desire to become a celebrity, an actress herself, which all along they were against and all this was her rebellious streak coming from thru a very sheltered (and privileged) life. . . upper class (well, be it old money or earned through reputable work) african american families also typically did their best to stay away from the 'urban' culture of the mainstream - the mindset that it held back the community - the ghetto'fication of the american black identity. so, in essence, she didn't know how to rebel, . . . other than becoming melodramatic as she watches all dreams and opportunities to escape the preplanned life her parents wanted for her crash and burn. And she's always been a socially awkward character, the perpetual little sister surrounded by older, more 'mature' girls, physically anyway, while she remained looking like a child. . . that's trauma enough for anyone. let alone tossing in that being on being one of the few a minorities at eastland or at least one with very little exposure to other black girls.

but also take into perspective, films of the 70s/early 80s on the psychosexual development of teen girls for a proto glimpse at the teen attitudes of the era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 31, 2021 5:45 PM

In a deleted scene, Mrs. Garrett is seen off-camera using the n-word at Tootie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 31, 2021 5:48 PM

Missed the Jermaine Jackson concert, did we, R15?

by Anonymousreply 17December 31, 2021 5:53 PM

R15 I wanna read the rest of your Facts of Life thesis

by Anonymousreply 18December 31, 2021 5:54 PM

I remember some closeted fashion photographer whizzed into Eastland the year before Tootie’s colossal meltdown, dressed her up to look like Peaches from Peaches & Herb, and declared Tootie to be the next “big thing”.

In all reality she turned out to be the biggest disappointment to hit the streets since the AMC Pacer.

by Anonymousreply 19December 31, 2021 5:58 PM

I thought this was a weird episode. Jermaine and his entourage came out looking bad. Not at all what Tootie expected. They ignored her for the most part, and they destroyed her gift to him; the sculpture she made. In the end, she realized she was just another fan to him and she meant nothing to him.

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2021 6:00 PM

She was so wrecked on Atlanta. Delusional, poor, gay husband, ugly girl syndrome no style or looks. But also smug while looking like a white elephant. She was just a mess and Kenya got her all the way together.

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2021 6:00 PM

R20 that “sculpture” was the equivalent of a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 22December 31, 2021 6:01 PM

Was Tootie friends with the Huxtable girls?

by Anonymousreply 23December 31, 2021 6:05 PM

That clip is completely and annoyingly ruined by the smallscreen embedded clip of Dan Aykroyd laughing.

Obviously he's not laughing at her, since his clip is from the 1970s, and the larger one with Tootie and Mrs. Garrett is from the mid 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 24December 31, 2021 6:16 PM

Lol R21.

Here's a perfect example of what you are talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 31, 2021 6:16 PM

r18

well, in short, I think Tootie is an 'updated' fictional representation of Eartha Kitt. . . and the struggle in both defining and living as an example of the black identity.

for this episode, it being such a big deal wasn't that it was Jermaine Jackson but it was her access point to the popular culture of african americans and how the mainstream public, especially her peers that may not have a lot of social access to other african americans may consciously or subconsciously view her.

or the classic problems of the diaspora - code switching - experience

until this moment, she, herself, might not ever thought of herself as black.

yes, of course, consciously knowing she was but not the sociocultural identity of being a black girl.

so, the Jermaine concert represents so much more than him alone. . . it's the opening to the lifestyle she desires for herself, it's possible also the puberty push of becoming a woman while still being a child, and also, the broader, popular representation of the cultural, 'cool', identity of blackness. . . contrasted to the pressures of black excellence that her family supports.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 31, 2021 6:23 PM

There was an episode where Tootie embraced her black identity by wearing caftans.

by Anonymousreply 27December 31, 2021 6:35 PM

Toootie should have been institutionalized right then and there.

by Anonymousreply 28December 31, 2021 6:53 PM

On Facts of Life, they *all* overacted like that, including Mrs. Garrett. It was awful. The only positive comment is that they all had their lines down pat.

I did watch the season of RHOA that featured Kim (Tootie). Her husband did seem gay. She did have a bad attitude about being on RHOA (felt it was beneath her). It's true she had no style and, IIRC, was overweight. That "party" at R25 was supposed to be a no-makeup party. Kim's idea, of course. Kenya was jealous of Kim, though, b/c Kim actually had an acting career.

by Anonymousreply 29December 31, 2021 7:08 PM

What makes the episode so insane is if you try to figure out what possible benefit Jermaine Jackson thought he would gain from it. He comes across as such a loser.

by Anonymousreply 30December 31, 2021 7:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 31, 2021 7:18 PM

Hard to believe, but back in those days (post-Jackson 5), Jermaine had potential for a career. Thriller was what put Michael on the map. Before that, Michael's career could have been lost at sea.

by Anonymousreply 32December 31, 2021 7:19 PM

No off the wall was a big hit album for Michael. Not a thriller but what else was?

by Anonymousreply 33December 31, 2021 7:29 PM

The original script called for Michael Jackson but surprise, surprise, Michael wouldn't do it so they had to settle for Jermaine.

by Anonymousreply 34December 31, 2021 7:36 PM

She should have been expelled or called on her bluff that she’d hitch hike if she had to

by Anonymousreply 35December 31, 2021 9:36 PM

I-I-I-I think, I think they should have made it a fictional pop star instead of Jermaine Jackson, .

by Anonymousreply 36December 31, 2021 9:46 PM

If Jermaine had said no, would they have had to go a step even further down and have asked Tito?

by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2022 8:24 PM

I always wondered why Jermaine participated in the show too. He came across poorly.

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2022 8:39 PM

He could barely be heard because of that shitty whisper coo voice/curse the Jackson’s have.

by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2022 10:03 PM

I've said it before, but NOBODY is that excited for Jermaine. Jermaine's wife is not THAT excited for Jermaine.

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2022 11:06 PM

She is lucky that Mrs. Garret didn't whip out the iron and iron her back.

by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2022 11:17 PM

My favorite episode of Tootsie’s was when she was discovered by the fashion photographer. She looked so cute. But the next season, her weight gain was an unfortunate fact of life. 😜

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 4:10 PM

She learned that at home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2022 4:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!