Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it possible for an adult to improve their handwriting?

My handwriting has always been terrible and has long been a source of embarrassment for me and I'd like to change that.

I'm right-handed, but write the way a lefty does and am incapable of holding a pen the way a right handed person should. Should I bother trying to correct that or is it too late?

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2021 10:47 AM

Find a mean old nun to beat some good penmanship into you.

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2021 6:04 AM

Yes. After I read barely legible handwritten notes from predecessors, I made a point of leaving legible notes for my successors. My handwriting wasn't awful before, I just took greater pains with it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2021 6:07 AM

When you finish writing a word swing the last letter of the word upward. My handwriting sloped downward until I started doing this. Good luck. Also, try writing anything for five minutes a day. It doesn't matter what, but take your time to make sure it's legible. Set the same time of day, set a timer for five minutes. Google a subject you like and copy it down. Keep it legible.

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2021 6:10 AM

Yes, you can change. I changed the way I held my pen. I had been holding it wrong all my life. I also had to take a bunch of essay exams and wanted to get the highest scores possible, so I made it a point to write more legibly.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2021 6:11 AM

Why bother?

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2021 6:15 AM

Poor handwriting is an unmistakable sign of low intelligence, sloth, penury, and untrustworthy-ness.

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2021 7:11 AM

It's not really a solution, but I find a straight edge guide (ruler, cardboard, a piece of mail, etc.) is a good temporary fix.

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2021 7:14 AM

Sorry, Madison, there’s no hope for you.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2021 7:17 AM

Do not use a Ballpoint pen.

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2021 9:58 AM

I was able to improve my handwriting in my 20s, after dealing with a series of crazy teachers who were screaming at me every time my loops on lowercase letters "weren't big enough" or whatever. I suspect most DLers are old enough to have had teachers who went psychokiller on kids whose handwriting and cursive wasn't nice enough.

After being out of school for a few years I realized I didn't have anxiety about my writing anymore, but I did want a more stylish and legible style, so I worked on it. My handwriting isn't great by any means, but it's vastly improved. For me, all I needed to do was concentrate on making it look nice any time I was already writing something anyway, and after a few years there was natural improvement.

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2021 10:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!