Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which Broadway show is about to announce that it's closing (Late Dec. 2021)?

Rumors swirl that a so called "hit" show is about to announce their January closing due to Covid-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 29, 2021 12:51 PM

I think Alan Alda went to that school.

by Anonymousreply 1December 28, 2021 4:10 AM

I hope it's Hamilton along with Rent and The Producers one of the most over-hyped, overrated and overpriced musicals I've ever seen. Not one of them produced an enduring or popular song. Hamilton is boring with wall-wall ersatz hip hop and choreography that amounts to jumping and twirling about.

by Anonymousreply 2December 28, 2021 4:12 AM

I saw Alan Alda's nephew in a small part in The Lieutenant of Inishmore in LA. He was nude in his role. Nice body.

by Anonymousreply 3December 28, 2021 4:15 AM

Get off my Great White Way đź–•

by Anonymousreply 4December 28, 2021 4:15 AM

That's weird, I can't see any post from R2.

by Anonymousreply 5December 28, 2021 4:33 AM

Hamilton already got federal bailout cash. As woke as it it they probably could get more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2021 5:03 AM

R2- Thank you

by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2021 5:20 AM

What is the meaning of the picture OP posted? It’s Follies, so does that mean Company is closing? Or is it not a clue?

by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2021 5:33 AM

[quote]That's weird, I can't see any post from [R2].

He's a abrasive dick, which is probably why you blocked him.

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2021 6:03 AM

Waitress, the Sara Bareilles–scored musical, was set to reopen after canceling performances on December 21 but instead will end its run early. “It has been such an honor to bring Waitress to Broadway. We feel so blessed to have been able to continue playing when Broadway returned in September of this year,” producer Barry Weissler said in a statement. “We are heartbroken that the COVID virus won’t allow us to finish our glorious scheduled run.”

Thoughts of a Colored Man is ending its historic run as the first show starring, written, directed, and lead produced by Black men. Its last show was December 22. In a statement obtained by Entertainment Weekly, the show’s producers called the closure “not the outcome we had hoped for.” However, they “remain undeterred, unflinching, and unstoppable. We have never been prouder to be theater-makers than at this very moment.”

by Anonymousreply 10December 28, 2021 6:07 AM

R4 What's so great about it? For years it's been jukebox musicals: MJ The Musical, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, Get on Yor feet . . .film adaptations: Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, Beetlejuice, Mean Girls, Pretty Woman. . .tourist traps Phantom, The Lion King, Aladdin . . .mediocre revivals Take Me Out . . .

by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2021 6:16 AM

R10 - those closings were already announced. There is -- supposedly -- another closing notice coming as early as this morning.

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2021 7:10 AM

Definitely 'Come From Away'. The Toronto producers just pulled the rug on that production. And it was definitely an all around "hit" unlike some of the others mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 13December 28, 2021 8:14 AM

Could be Phantom, but like they did in London - close the old show (and cut off royalties and profit sharing) and install a new cheaper production

by Anonymousreply 14December 28, 2021 11:43 AM

it's gonna be Ain't too Proud or Tina, not on your list

by Anonymousreply 15December 28, 2021 11:48 AM

[quote] Alladdin

oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 16December 28, 2021 11:49 AM

I think it is 'Come from Away', as well. That show has been playing with ALL understudies for the past week. I am sure the show can run with them, but what for since it is a non-star show? It had a good run and perhaps it's time to let it go for another disaster musical, perhaps about Covid and its survivors.

by Anonymousreply 17December 28, 2021 11:55 AM

come from away is pretty cheap to run and they probably made some decent money on its several productions plus the Apple film of the show. They could be less financially vulnerable. Ii'm thinking about the more expensive shows like Aladdin and Tina

by Anonymousreply 18December 28, 2021 12:04 PM

Naked Boys Singing

by Anonymousreply 19December 28, 2021 12:37 PM

Come From Away sounds boring. Does it have any good songs?

by Anonymousreply 20December 28, 2021 12:41 PM

[quote] Come From Away sounds boring. Does it have any good songs?

Leaving on a Jet Plane

by Anonymousreply 21December 28, 2021 1:53 PM

r15 nailed it -- Ain't Too Proud. Unfortunately, DL only allows for 10 options on polls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 28, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote] Come From Away sounds boring. Does it have any good songs?

Another few hit tunes from that show include: Flying High Again, Fly Away, Watching Airplanes, and the all time favorite, Drunk on a Plane.

by Anonymousreply 23December 28, 2021 2:41 PM

[quote] Unfortunately, DL only allows for 10 options on polls

You shouldn't have wasted slots on Hamilton, Company, Wicked or Moulin Rouge

by Anonymousreply 24December 28, 2021 4:07 PM

When the original astronauts were given their NYC ticker tape parade they were given their choice of prime seats for any Broadway production and with the mayor they all went to see How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. President Kennedy also chose How to Succeed as his first presidential theatrical outing in January 1962.

Looking at the shows now in production the options are really dismal.

by Anonymousreply 25December 29, 2021 12:03 AM

will another show announce today (Wednesday)?

by Anonymousreply 26December 29, 2021 12:22 PM

I’d be shocked if Come From Away closed - no star salaries and a HUGE backlog of potential replacements from tours.

by Anonymousreply 27December 29, 2021 12:33 PM

I agree r27 plus a few chairs from Ashley and costumes from Old Navy and Zara.

by Anonymousreply 28December 29, 2021 12:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!