Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Classiest President?

Who was the classiest president we have had in the last fifty years?

Comment why you think they are classy.

Who was trashy?

by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2021 12:00 AM

George H.W. Bush. He was intelligent and thought before he spoke. He never talked ill of anyone or put others down. He loved his family. He stayed out of personal scandals. He put good men around him, too.

Basically, George H.W. Bush is the complete antonym of Donald J. Trump.

by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2021 4:09 PM

The one name-checked in Annie. Because he was name-checked in Annie.

But I don't recall if it was a good or a bad reference.

Still, it was a reference.

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2021 4:10 PM

How did anyone here vote for this disgusting piece of shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2021 4:13 PM

People vote for Trump just to set you off, R3. Apparently it works.

by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2021 4:15 PM

Obama-Classiest Trump-Trashiest

by Anonymousreply 5December 27, 2021 4:16 PM

Obama and Michelle epitomized class.

As the first Black First Couple, they had to. They did it so well

by Anonymousreply 6December 27, 2021 4:18 PM

It's HW. The Walker are an old family, Yale, Kennebunkport, CIA, his behavior, etc.

Ford was an Eaglescout who went Yale Law School- he was adopted. (But his mom left his homicidal father at 16 days old and he was later adopted.)

Obama was extremely classy, but doesn't have the background.

Trump, Clinton, Reagan, Nixon and W were trashy in behavior and/or background. (Ok, W just brought the family down).

Carter was a peanut farmer, hard to shake. And LBJ an inveterate racist.

by Anonymousreply 7December 27, 2021 4:18 PM

LBJ passed major Civil Rights legislation. As a young teacher he worked with Mexican Americans in Texas. Was he perfect? No, he may have shared many of the opinions of those of his time but I believed he worked against those feelings in himself and had real empathy for poor people regardless of their race, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2021 4:22 PM

Try none of the above.

by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2021 4:24 PM

WHY is Donald Dump even on that list?

Dump & the word 'class' should never be in the same sentence. This has nothing to do with wealth either, it doesn't matter how much money this smelly orange menace has, he's 100% pure trash. Looking at this man sears my retinas. He's repulsive in every way, shape and form.

EVERYTHING about that fetid POS is low-rent. His entire family, save for Mary Trump, are all bottom feeding trash.

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2021 4:37 PM

HWB or Obama.

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2021 4:37 PM

[Quote] Obama was extremely classy, but doesn't have the background.

Background has little to do with it

by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2021 4:39 PM

John F. Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2021 6:10 PM

Obama and Michelle by a million miles. Inspirational in so many ways, and truly devoted to their family life (unlike those who give lip service to “family values.)

Trump obviously, and his whole trashy family. The only good thing I can say about him is a story I’d heard about him giving a place for Jennifer Hudson to stay while she sorted her family tragedy (I’ll try to find a link). Everything else about him (and them) is reprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2021 6:16 PM

Link to aforementioned story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote] And LBJ an inveterate racist.

As another poster said, LBJ was not a racist.

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2021 6:21 PM

FWIW, LBJ was the most hung.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2021 6:21 PM

I don't understand why you are trying to die on this hill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2021 7:41 PM

The one that bought and paid for so many of my child whores. I did very well. Very well.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2021 7:47 PM

It's complex, R18, and that's why you can't trust MSNBC to get the subtleties right. By today's standards Johnson was both a racist and an snti-racist since he did more to reduce American racism in our time than Martin Luther King.

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2021 7:49 PM

R20, ok, sure, let's split some hairs. But by any standard, a President running around using the N word and with a mouth like his certainly isn't going to win "classiest". Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2021 7:59 PM

I would never say he was the classiest. I'm not sure whom I'd vote for, maybe Carter, as basic decency seems pretty classy.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2021 8:07 PM

Didn't LBJ hold meetings from the toilet?

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2021 9:08 PM

Obama was the most elegant and well-mannered. I dock GHWB points for flagrantly cheating on Barb and being somewhat of a dick to her about it.

Carter was unsophisticated, does not fit what people think of as “classy” (an awful word), and wasn’t a good President, but to me, is far and away the best and most principled person to hold the office.

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2021 9:13 PM

And the trashiest are LBJ, who was arguably good at some parts of the job, and Trump, who is a worthless fool.

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2021 9:14 PM

I think Trump and unfortunately Clinton might be the "trashiest", in terms of the respect they showed the office. Nixon too.

Ironically- and please don't goddamn ream me for this, I care about history - trump might be one of the only presidents besides the Adams without slave owning ancestors. (Because he's such new German/Scottish stock). Even Kamala's might have had some in Jamaica, and even one of Lincoln's great great had one... it's just a strange Rorschach of American history.

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2021 9:22 PM

Trump is so far ahead in trashiness he's practically in another galaxy.

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2021 9:25 PM

Trump has had PLENTY of slaves.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2021 9:26 PM

Those cheap bastards! Overthrow the government for me but don't embarrass me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2021 9:31 PM

Bush family is the only one that was legitimately a member of America’s patrician class.

Up there with the Adams, Harrison and Roosevelt families as having multiple members serve as president

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2021 9:33 PM

Carter.

by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2021 9:36 PM

President Carter because he is a gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 32December 27, 2021 9:46 PM

Good God talk about polishing turds. I think looking at this list & remembering these lumps of offal, John Adams said it best“They worry one another like mastiffs, scrambling for rank and pay like apes for nuts.”

by Anonymousreply 33December 27, 2021 10:23 PM

LBJ....so classy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 27, 2021 10:30 PM

I say Obama because he moved with grace and elegance. None of the rest of them had a quality like that. American presidents don't really have class. No one's raised on it. Obama, Jackie Kennedy, the Roosevelts, some before them.

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2021 10:32 PM

Why'd you add Trump, stupid fuck. No one on DL thinks highly of him.

by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2021 10:46 PM

50 years? Then why is LBJ listed?

by Anonymousreply 37December 27, 2021 11:55 PM

What's with the George HW Bush hagiography? The man who brought us Lee Atwater? Who perved on anything in a skirt even in a wheelchair? Who gave the world W? Not very classy to vomit on the Japanese Prime Minister. Whose father colluded with the Nazis? Nothing classy about the Bush family.

by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2021 12:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!