Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your unreasonable fashion pet peeves?

Mine is people who wear a belt with suspenders. If you have a belt, why would you need suspenders? It is a stupid affectation. What's yours?

by Anonymousreply 136January 18, 2022 6:06 PM

Dangling Tendrils.

Peak-A-Boo Shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2021 6:52 AM

R1 Cold shoulder blouses are a good one. They're always worn by women with that short asymmetrical "karen" Bob that Kate Gosselin rocked for way too long

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2021 6:59 AM

The last few years, a style of ill-fitting, loose/oversized pants and tops worn by both young women and men who are "fashion forward." The style looks very similar to what an old Chinese lady working in a rice paddy might be clad in, minus the pointy straw hat. Absolutely hideous. Oh, and the pants are all tube-like, wide, shapeless high-waters, adding to the horror.

by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2021 7:02 AM

Those shirts they wear in the Northwest.

That grunge shit..

by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2021 7:03 AM

R3 I'm a college prof and I like the high-water wide leg pants on the boys. It's a look that has come and gone for decades.

by Anonymousreply 5December 27, 2021 7:09 AM

I refuse to wear a jock with a 2inch waisteband

by Anonymousreply 6December 27, 2021 7:11 AM

[quote] "Mine is people who wear a belt with suspenders. If you have a belt, why would you need suspenders? It is a stupid affectation."

Just as bad, are clip suspenders. They shouldn't exist. But THE WORST are belt suspenders. These are designed TO BE WORN WITH A BELT. They can't be worn without a belt. Whoever dreamed up this trash should be burned alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 27, 2021 7:12 AM

And they wear them with the curtain hair. love it. everything old is new again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2021 7:16 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2021 7:18 AM

Actually OP, Since my waist is so small comparing to my hip. I have to wear both, otherwise I will have horrible sagging.

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2021 8:56 AM

Crooked ties at the neck.

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2021 10:23 AM

Not wearing socks with a suit and dress shoes. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2021 10:27 AM

If I can see your belt loops, I should also be able to see your belt. People who tuck their shirts in, but can't be bothered to put on a belt, annoy me. Don't want to wear a belt? Untuck, or put a sweater or something over your bare loops.

by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2021 10:31 AM

I don't know if this is still popular, but a thick scarf around the neck while wearing a T-shirt and shorts because the weather is hot. Such a false display, especially when young people are doing it, since it's not like they're trying to cover up a wrinkled neck.

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2021 10:42 AM

Suit jackets that are too short because men are too cheap to buy a proper overcoat and insist on wearing a North Face jacket over their suit.

Suit trousers without a break. Your socks should not show.

Spread collars.

"Skinny" anything.

Top shirt buttoned without a tie.

Brown shoes with blue suits. (Carmel colored shoes with blue suits are a capital offense.)

Camouflage prints

Sports logos

Blue eye shadow.

Leggings.

"Important" purses, particularly when worn with a chunky sweater and leggings.

No foundation garments.

The previously mentioned cut-out shoulders.

Sequined cocktail dresses worn with jeans or any blatant attempt to "break the rules".

by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2021 11:01 AM

[quote]Top shirt buttoned without a tie.

is that back?

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2021 11:07 AM

R12, mrfancypants took mine.

That is SUCH a peeve of mine. It grosses me out too. Especially when they wear the pants high enough that you can see they’re not wearing socks even when they’re standing up.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2021 11:07 AM

Women who have a strand of hair dangling on each side of face.

by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2021 11:14 AM

Shirts with collar buttons unbuttoned.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote]The last few years, a style of ill-fitting, loose/oversized pants and tops worn by both young women and men who are "fashion forward."

I'm so glad the skinny jeans look is out. It looked horrible on men, like they were wearing leggings. Not attractive at all, even on masculine men.

I've seen several young women in high-waisted mom jeans. Are those back in style, too?

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2021 12:07 PM

BTW: I love close-fitting pants on a man, just not skinny jeans.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2021 12:08 PM

[quote] I'm so glad the skinny jeans look is out. Not attractive at all, even on masculine men.

I’ve never seen a masculine man wear skinny jeans. In fact, merely wearing them negates all masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2021 12:14 PM

The clothes in Target, Marshall's and TJ Maxx (among others) all look like cheap shit crap designed to be worn while playing basketball (not watching a basketball game, but playing one).

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2021 12:14 PM

One I missed: Lounge wear/PJs as street wear. Adults have no business wearing onsesies. If you must wear them, do it in the privacy of your own home.

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2021 12:24 PM

[R15], "Suit trousers without a break. Your socks should not show.." - Oh, yeah? - Thom Browne

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2021 1:20 PM

Young men who wear white socks with dark suits.

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2021 1:25 PM

R25, yup. Pretty much all of my fashion pet peeves in one photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2021 1:35 PM

The top button done up sans tie is the one that gets me, even my mother hates it, she says they look like priests. I think they look like fuckwits

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2021 1:39 PM

I like slim tight -fitting pants/jeans/trousers, but not skinny fit. As for age, if you've got the legs and the personality I'm sure slim jeans suit you, Mick Jagger could get away with skinny jeans.

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2021 1:41 PM

Flower prints on a black backdrop especially if the flowers are pink or red like this....shudders

Polla dots especially if they're big.

Bow ties.Never, not once have I found them attractive.

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2021 1:44 PM

Forgot to post the link to the flower pattern

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2021 1:48 PM

Also too tight suit and/or pants on men. The only thing that should be tight on men is their t shirts

by Anonymousreply 32December 27, 2021 1:50 PM

The tireless conformity of young women, all with long hair and black leggings and the Uggie boots or wherever the hell they are called. They are literal clones of one another.

by Anonymousreply 33December 27, 2021 1:53 PM

Flower Power, r30!

✌️

by Anonymousreply 34December 27, 2021 2:01 PM

Whatever, even.

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2021 2:06 PM

Crocs with anything, or men's "slide" flip-flops that look like grandma's house slippers

Ill-fitting, saggy sweats, especially rampant during the pandemic.

Both of the above simultaneously.

Dress shoes with jeans.

Lines around the thighs of your tight khakis from your boxer briefs. Wear briefs with those pants or get boxer briefs with no hem.

by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2021 2:16 PM

oh and if you're gonna show bulge, make sure it's not too high and too the side.

by Anonymousreply 37December 27, 2021 7:14 PM

[quote] make sure it's not too high and too the side.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 38December 27, 2021 7:19 PM

This...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 27, 2021 7:21 PM

Combining black with bright colors, e.g., red top with black pants. Bright colors match better with neutrals (gray, camel, tan, khaki, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 40December 27, 2021 7:30 PM

"In fact, merely wearing them negates all masculinity."

Nothing screams "I'm masculine" like posting on a gossip board

by Anonymousreply 41December 27, 2021 7:39 PM

Exposed bra straps

Shredded jeans

Backward-facing baseball caps

Exposed flab

Ratty fake fur trim on hoods of quilted jackets

Leggings or tights on fat women

Topless old or obese women on the beach

Big logos

by Anonymousreply 42December 27, 2021 7:42 PM

I think leggings are kind of trashy, even on thin women. It's basically a "I'm too lazy to put real pants on" look. Same thing with women who wear yoga pants everywhere

by Anonymousreply 43December 27, 2021 7:48 PM

[quote] Shredded jeans

Mmmmm. I love shredded cheese.

Oh. Jeans. Oh, I’m sorry.

by Anonymousreply 44December 27, 2021 8:29 PM

anything designed by Kanye West.

by Anonymousreply 45December 27, 2021 8:36 PM

Most of these have been very reasonable fashion peeves, not unreasonable.

by Anonymousreply 46December 27, 2021 8:40 PM

Light-colored suits on men, unless the quality is really good. Dark colors (black, dark gray) hide a multitude of sins, fabric-wise, etc. Also more slimming. Men: stop wearing light-colored suits unless you're confident about the quality.

by Anonymousreply 47December 27, 2021 8:43 PM

A vest that is too short at the waist, allowing the shirt to bulge out between the top of the pants and the bottom of the vest.

by Anonymousreply 48December 27, 2021 8:44 PM

Thom Browne doen't even spell his own name. Like his clothes, that's a gimmick. Gimmicks can be brief fun but they are rarely fashion.

by Anonymousreply 49December 27, 2021 8:45 PM

Collar gap. (Suit lapel not lying flush on top of your shirt collar. In some cases, you can see the shoulder of the shirt, which is bad.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 27, 2021 8:50 PM

White socks worn with sandals drives me insane

by Anonymousreply 51December 27, 2021 8:55 PM

Sunglasses worn on the back of the head, always by douchebros.

Active wear worn everywhere but the gym.

Black nylon secret socks visibly worn with white trainers.

Full winter outfits worn on the first day of the season, not matter how warm the weather is.

by Anonymousreply 52December 27, 2021 8:58 PM

Wearing a business suit with no socks.

by Anonymousreply 53December 27, 2021 9:07 PM

Short sleeve dress shirts.

Dress shirts with no undershirt.

by Anonymousreply 54December 27, 2021 9:10 PM

Adidas or Nike slides worn with black socks.

by Anonymousreply 55December 27, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote]White socks worn with sandals drives me insane

I've noticed many young black and Latino men wearing those. Is it the new trend?

by Anonymousreply 56December 27, 2021 9:39 PM

Black shoes with a brown belt or vice-versa.

by Anonymousreply 57December 27, 2021 9:48 PM

High heels with trousers, unless the woman is onstage giving a concert.

by Anonymousreply 58December 27, 2021 10:01 PM

I once had several of these OP, especially when I was still working. Now that I’m retired, and less fashionable myself; I don’t care as much. One that shall always remain for me though is how women seldomly adhere to proper business or professional attire. Many look as if they’re headed to a discotheque, or an after hours party.

One sees this with the news presenters as well. I’m not objecting solely on the grounds of modesty, but rather a blurred line between different attire for women generally. It would appear the wheels fell off somewhere between late 80s and early 90s. Women once wore really nice suits when the men were required to, nice blouses and scarves, etc. It’s all sleeveless and devoid of any formality now. My straight mates my age miss women wearing pantyhose.

by Anonymousreply 59December 27, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote] It would appear the wheels fell off

Wheels can simply fall off?

by Anonymousreply 60December 27, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote] High heels with trousers, unless the woman is onstage giving a concert.

Professional women have been wearing this combo for decades, but the thread is entitled "unreasonable," so, maybe that's why you mention it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 27, 2021 10:28 PM

R59, looks like you're just looking for an excuse to attack women since straight men are absolute slobs.

I don't get why some gay men are so obsessed with how women dress

by Anonymousreply 62December 27, 2021 10:32 PM

When SATC the city became a big hit in the late 90s all the women in my conservative big law firm office started dressing like whores in the office and none of the men complained. It eventually affected productivity. I guess you would have to have been there. At any rate, I was glad to retire. I had intended to work longer but I was glad to not have to do other people's jobs just to keep the work going out.

by Anonymousreply 63December 27, 2021 10:34 PM

Why would other people's clothes affect anyone's productivity?

Who cares?

Funny, every place where I worked always had a dress code and no one dressed like a "whore"

by Anonymousreply 64December 27, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote] looks like you're just looking for an excuse to attack women since straight men are absolute slobs.

Isn't she prickly?

by Anonymousreply 65December 27, 2021 10:39 PM

Sneakers with a suit.

Absolutely inane.

by Anonymousreply 66December 27, 2021 10:41 PM

R62 I’m not really attacking women here, and I’m bored of this CONTINUOUS accusation on the forum any time a poster has a bit of criticism involving women.

A fair critique of rubes who do not know how to dress appropriately for different occasions and circumstances applies equally to both sexes. It may he unreasonable because I am male, yet I still have an opinion, and the women I’ve hired in the past knew how to dress.

I don’t particularly care for ladies fashion, it’s the double standard I object to first and foremost. Secondly, I think the women do themselves a disservice by dressing this way. Even when certain men find them attractive, it still isn’t professional, and these men do not take them seriously. (women wearing sleeveless dresses, skimpy blouses, no jacket or cardigan, slides, and shoes without socks or hose is not business attire. Sorry!

Don’t come to a gay blog which skews male if you’re too sensitive to criticisms of women.

by Anonymousreply 67December 27, 2021 10:44 PM

Not sure whether it's considered fashion or whether it's even an unreasonable peeve, but pants slung down below the buttocks. Also don't like sandals on men.

by Anonymousreply 68December 27, 2021 10:46 PM

The "double standard" is when some gay men give a free pass to straight men but bitch about what women wear 24/7. Usually it's the guys who fetishize straight men and are jealous of women.

You think wearing a sleeveless dress makes someone a whore? Were you one of the Republican biddies who screamed about Michelle Obama wearing a sleeveless dress?

Don't come to a gossip board if you're that much of a prude

by Anonymousreply 69December 27, 2021 10:49 PM

It's so hard to believe so many of you are single!

by Anonymousreply 70December 27, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote] The "double standard" is when some gay men give a free pass to straight men but bitch about what women wear 24/7. Usually it's the guys who fetishize straight men and are jealous of women.

Unless you have a penis or are a lesbian get off of this site.

You don't belong here and no one cares about your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 71December 27, 2021 10:55 PM

R69 I never used the term whore, in point of FACT, I said rube. You’re welcome to utilise trolldar and check my posting history: I’m jot CONSTANTLY criticising women. I’ve simply stated that standards for women have slipped as regards business attire. It’s a formality thing for ke, especially when I was working. I wouldn’t abide by a man in a singlet turning up representing a business either… no matter how fine his pecs were, or how silky and exquisitely expensive the fabric happened to be. It doesn’t represent a business well to clients or the public.

I find nothing wrong with women dressing this way for an evening out, dinner, theatre, etc… it still wasn’t acceptable when I grew up or was working. It’s fine for retail workers etc, not professional settings. I’m just as entitled to my opinion as you are.

by Anonymousreply 72December 27, 2021 11:01 PM

R71, Milo clones, misogynists, and elderly old biddies who are scandalized by sleeveless dresses should get off this site. And people who repeat the same unfunny "literal violence" jokes over and over that they probably borrowed from parler

I am a gay man, just not one who hates women and is a right-wing reactionary

by Anonymousreply 73December 27, 2021 11:03 PM

R73 I happen to adore and respect woman. I especially appreciate and respect the women who who understand what appropriate attire is for the professional class. It’s the same for court appearances, wise men still don a suit and tie, whilst women show up in something suitable tor a garden party or the beach. You may look pretty wearing this, and I’m no prude, but it is still frowned upon by many. Several women my age agree with me.

by Anonymousreply 74December 27, 2021 11:07 PM

Golfing clothes.

by Anonymousreply 75December 27, 2021 11:08 PM

I wish posters would stop jumping to hasty conclusions about certain posters, simply because of a difference of opinion, and probably age differences. You cannot fairly know what is in a DLers heart, simply because you may disagree. Too many here have this swift condemnation of posters. It’s wuite juvenile to assume everyone who disagrees with you is a rotten misogynist or a hater of women. I cannot even begin to list all the lesbian attorneys I know who complain of these same fashion faux pas.

People are just itching to pounce here!

by Anonymousreply 76December 27, 2021 11:14 PM

[quote] shoes without socks or hose is not business attire. Sorry!

Panty hose / stockings have not been required for years now. The only place I can see it being common would be maybe Washington, DC.

Also, Nancy Pelosi and Kamala Harris wear long pants and heels. This is normal work wear for women.

by Anonymousreply 77December 27, 2021 11:18 PM

I have no issues whatsoever with trousers and heels. Again, another difference of opinion. Not shaming any women here.

by Anonymousreply 78December 27, 2021 11:22 PM

I remember when ALLY McBEAL came out in the late '90s many complained that she dressed too slutty for a lawyer with her miniskirts and spiked heels. Most of the criticism came from feminists who thought that the show and character were doing a disservice to women. Time magazine even devoted a cover story to the outrage. Ironically, feminists nowadays seem to approve/encourage such dress as 'female empowerment.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 27, 2021 11:35 PM

R79 Interesting… I wasn’t living in the States when that programme aired. I think well dressed professional women have ample opportunity to look sexy: clingy knits, well tailored separates, (think Chanel style, or St. John) and my peeves generally don’t include hemlines, unless the women in question cannot sit down properly without putting on a show a la Sharon Stone in [italic] Sliver [/italic]. It’s more about is the entire presentation professional looking? Suits with short skirts can be fine. Slightly above the knee doesn't seem out of place really, so long as the presentation still looks professional.

I don’t see how others cannot kake the same sort of distinctions. A sleeveless or strappy blouse or dress requires a jacket, or a cardigan. I prefer suits, either trousers or skirts to most dresses. Most dresses that are popular with you g women do jot look professional without a jacket either in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 80December 27, 2021 11:47 PM

I also loathe the trend of men wearing T-Shirts, or collarless shirts with a suit . These types are usually middle management however, not true professionals.

by Anonymousreply 81December 27, 2021 11:51 PM

Foreskin.

by Anonymousreply 82December 27, 2021 11:52 PM

Loafers with suits is another poor choice. A suit for men requires a lace up dress shoe!

by Anonymousreply 83December 27, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] I also loathe the trend of men wearing T-Shirts, or collarless shirts with a suit .

Is this really a trend, again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 27, 2021 11:57 PM

R84 Places I’ve worked, especially in American offices with Casual Fridays.

by Anonymousreply 85December 28, 2021 12:00 AM

Back in the 80s, Letterman was famous for a moment wearing sneakers with a suit. It was briefly funny for that moment. But that moment was decades ago and wearing footwear inappropriate for the occasion or for the rest of the ensemble hasn't been funny or stylish for years. Just witless.

by Anonymousreply 86December 28, 2021 12:05 AM

R86 Agreed. Letterman later went on to wear loafers with white socks with his nice suits… also very peculiar.

by Anonymousreply 87December 28, 2021 12:08 AM

Back to another oddity I’ve witnessed in the wild is women who dress completely out of season. Working at Sotheby’s in NYC, there was an attractive young Korean woman who would wear a certain Norma Kamali silk sheath dress in the dead of winter. She also had a penchant for wearing sundresses in Autumn/ Winter.

I’ve witnessed this sort of thing living in Chicago as well. It’s rather astonishing seeing them arrive in boots, all bundled up, then there’s a summer dress beneath their overcoat. I never did see women dressed like this in London, Yokohama, or in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 88December 28, 2021 12:17 AM

While we're slut shaming women (and why not), can we add slutty wedding dresses to the list? And, not exactly fashion, but the "trash the dress" videos are also a pet peeve.

by Anonymousreply 89December 28, 2021 9:33 AM

Saggy pants are so last century

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 28, 2021 11:01 AM

R84 Christ, I hate when I forget to put on a belt when getting ready for work!

by Anonymousreply 91December 28, 2021 11:15 PM

When I’m home alone I pull my boxer briefs up inside my ass.

by Anonymousreply 92December 28, 2021 11:30 PM

Shawl-collared anything. Just, barf.

Men 5'10" and under knotting full Windsors (in fact, let’s just make that any man outside of 19th Century royals and robber barons knotting a full Windsor). And bow ties. God, I loathe bow ties. Suitable only for military ceremonies and formal civilian occasions. Charles Osborne deserved the full-on Shirley Jackson treatment -- as do half the Southern men I know, those who are aiming for Eccentric Gentleman Esquire while achieving only Slouchy Pedo Librarian.

Soft-shouldered suit jackets. Reason #1 I could never get into Armani.

Any pants with even a hint of semi-harshly-tapered leg openings.

About 97% of plaid shirting. As Otho sneered in Beetlejuice, “Deliver me from LL Bean!” Lazy, blousy, browbeaten plaid shirts make me more suicidal than selling all my Bitcoin in 2016. I like color-on-color gingham, though, so it’s not like I’m overly formal about it.

Golfing attire, full stop. (I will make exceptions for both Payne Stewart’s sense of humor and the young Seve Ballesteros.)

Nike anything. Reebok anything. Under Armor anything. Of the sports gear megabrands marketed in America, only Adidas and Puma are acceptable, mit die drei Marken über alles.

That fucking oak-colored leather that has seeped its way into dress shoes.

And this is probably one of my worst: printed ties. I hate them. Only woven ties for me.

by Anonymousreply 93December 29, 2021 12:48 AM

These things - I hate them whenever I see them!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 29, 2021 1:09 AM

The Caesar haircut.

Blond highlights

Man bun..

by Anonymousreply 95December 29, 2021 1:12 AM

R94 I'm confused.

What is their purpose?

by Anonymousreply 96December 29, 2021 1:20 AM

Man bun! Yes! The worst, R95!

by Anonymousreply 97December 29, 2021 3:58 AM

Bangs on men. Puffy ski-wear type jackets with office attire. Off the shoulder blouses on women with horrible shoulders. Asymmetrical (one bare shoulder) sheath gowns.

I agree with whoever was going on about women in offices not dressed appropriately. I live in a notoriously poorly-dressed city and the women I see in tax/law firms are a nightmare (jeans, leather shorts, sweatshirts, hiking boots, too small tops with a muffin top bursting out). I've heard them say they'd only accept a dress code if their company gave them a clothing allowance. This in a country where secretaries can afford to regularly vacation abroad.

The current trashy/chavvy trends on young people don't deserve mention--they're young and having fun.

by Anonymousreply 98December 29, 2021 5:28 AM

[quote]When I’m home alone I pull my boxer briefs up inside my ass.

On a hot summer day, nature does that for me.

by Anonymousreply 99December 29, 2021 12:25 PM

[quote] full stop

Full eyeroll!

by Anonymousreply 100December 29, 2021 12:26 PM

Puffy coats, jackets and vests, which are ubiquitous these days and always look tacky and plastic. Everyone looks like they're ready to inflate their outerwear in the event of an unexpected water landing.

by Anonymousreply 101December 29, 2021 3:38 PM

The aforementioned shrunken Thom Browne style suits.

Crop tops and leggings/frayed denim booty shorts. I wore them in the 80's and 90's (remember the booty shorts with white socks and Timberlands?) and thought I was cute. It is very evident I was not. Yes, I'm a fashion victim.

Uggs and its ilk, unless you're actually in the snow or coming from the beach surfing in cold water.

Workout wear when you're clearly not working out, paired with a giant handbag and lots of jewelry- lots of this on my little stretch of Melrose, which has become influencer central.

by Anonymousreply 102December 29, 2021 4:16 PM

R98 Cheers mate. It boggles the mind how my remarks in some posters’ minds somehow amounted to “slut shaming”… My peeves were not at all about any of that. It’s simply an observation over the past few decades that there really is no longer a concept of different attire for professional women…it’s become the same standard for every occasion. A well dressed woman can dress “sexy” (if she wants to) AND still look professional. It’s just not evening wear, or certain dresses. (or the more casual togs you described)

I recall women I knew well would change into something different for say, a cocktail party, dinner, or an evening out. The “work clothes” were something more formal.

by Anonymousreply 103December 29, 2021 4:22 PM

Anything Markle wears.

Torn jeans.

by Anonymousreply 104December 29, 2021 11:44 PM

Basketball shorts

by Anonymousreply 105December 31, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote]remember the booty shorts with white socks and Timberlands?

Usually worn with a tank top. In DC, we called that the "Kick Me, I'm Gay" outfit.

by Anonymousreply 106December 31, 2021 9:53 PM

I love basketball shorts, r105!

Always showing a nice VPL when I see guys in them. They should be required wear.

by Anonymousreply 107December 31, 2021 9:57 PM

Fake lace-up boots with a zipper on the side

by Anonymousreply 108December 31, 2021 10:05 PM

Angry people.

by Anonymousreply 109January 1, 2022 1:54 AM

Sorry. I thought you meant what are my unreasonable dating requirements.

by Anonymousreply 110January 1, 2022 1:55 AM

Guys who walk around town in Kick Me, I'm Gay wife beater tees.

by Anonymousreply 111January 1, 2022 1:55 AM

It should be reasonable that all sneakers are comfortable.

That should be non-negotiable.

by Anonymousreply 112January 1, 2022 1:58 AM

[quote] "I don't know if this is still popular, but a thick scarf around the neck while wearing a T-shirt and shorts because the weather is hot. Such a false display, especially when young people are doing it, since it's not like they're trying to cover up a wrinkled neck."

Or people who wear thickly-woven, heavy beanies in hot weather, R14. It looks obnoxious, and "try-hard", and the resulting sweat stench is even more of an assault on one's senses.

Where scarves are concerned, I have a small collection, some of which are intended to be worn in warmer weather. They're lightweight cotton (one is an Infinity scarf, printed in navy & white to resemble a bandanna), and silk. But a heavy scarf that was obviously designed & made for cold weather, needs to be put away outside of that.

by Anonymousreply 113January 1, 2022 2:43 AM

Blouses for shirts.

by Anonymousreply 114January 1, 2022 7:28 AM

Flip flops

by Anonymousreply 115January 1, 2022 7:32 AM

[quote] Where scarves are concerned, I have a small collection,

Those are ascots.

And ‘small collection’? Oh, honey, you put Charles Nelson Reilly AND Dr. Birx to shame.

by Anonymousreply 116January 1, 2022 3:33 PM

I hate when people wear socks over their shoes.

by Anonymousreply 117January 1, 2022 3:43 PM

This is not unreasonable but I hate the way quality has been lowered and prices have been raised. I am buying a new winter coat. The options are - 100% cashmere, cashmere/wool mix, 100% wool, wool/synthetic mix, and I suppose, 100% synthetic. I wanted to spend about €500. Even the high end store are selling wool/synthetic mix coats for that price. I can't believe they have no shame.

by Anonymousreply 118January 4, 2022 6:04 AM

R118 I tried that on a few weeks ago and everyone snarked that I was elitist claiming a old fashion quality winter coat is 2k these days.

by Anonymousreply 119January 4, 2022 6:13 AM

Men's cowboy boots when they're not geographically appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 120January 4, 2022 6:20 AM

Cleavage. I can't bear to look at half bared breasts, especially if it is pushed up and out. Why do women do this at social events? Really, my eyes.

I'm ok with male cleavage if is not Fabio's.

by Anonymousreply 121January 4, 2022 6:27 AM

[quote] I can't bear to look at half bared breasts,

I hold my hand up to shield my vision.

It might make those silly women realise that a lot of men aren't interested in their fleshy mammaries.

by Anonymousreply 122January 4, 2022 6:43 AM

>>>>It might make those silly women realise that a lot of men aren't interested in their fleshy mammaries.

Fixed it for you.

It might make those silly women realise that gay men aren't interested in their fleshy mammaries.

by Anonymousreply 123January 4, 2022 7:12 AM

Sandals or flip flops that reveal gross uncared-for feet or fungal-infected toenails.

by Anonymousreply 124January 13, 2022 5:44 AM

Female logic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 13, 2022 9:46 PM

If people wear 'message T-shirts" I have the right to react and laugh and point at their "message".

by Anonymousreply 126January 13, 2022 9:57 PM

I hate to break it to many of you, but younger people hate most jeans and the only jeans Gen Z really likes are high waisted. In fact, they prefer joggers and leggings to jeans. For all shapes, inclusivity is important. If you want to button up to the top, go ahead. Athleisure is also not going anywhere.

Cold shoulder tops have been out for quite some time. Palazzo pants and wide legs aren't going anywhere.

The days of uncomfortable clothes are gone. If you want to sit around in your suspenders, pants with belts, belt looped khakis knock yourself out. The public has spoken.

The flat waist is what most people would pick for a clean and comfortable look.

by Anonymousreply 127January 13, 2022 10:08 PM

What do you mean by 'flat waist'?

by Anonymousreply 128January 13, 2022 10:12 PM

Sorry, flat front. Not flat waist. You don't want all that fabric in the front. A lot of times, an ensemble looks cleaner without the belt but it depends on the pants and shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 13, 2022 10:23 PM

Men should wear cummerbunds if they want a flat waist.

Do we know what a cummerbund is?

by Anonymousreply 130January 13, 2022 10:26 PM

I’ll bite…what is it?

by Anonymousreply 131January 13, 2022 10:31 PM

[quote] For all shapes, inclusivity is important.

[quote]The flat waist is what most people would pick

And what is THAT supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 132January 13, 2022 10:33 PM

[quote] inclusivity is important

a slogan without meaning.

by Anonymousreply 133January 13, 2022 10:41 PM

All waiters had to wear cummerbunds in the 80s.

Weren't there cummerbunds in GWTW?

by Anonymousreply 134January 14, 2022 7:42 AM

The only time I see cummerbunds is at weddings. Sometimes at black tie events.

by Anonymousreply 135January 14, 2022 2:07 PM

Gilbert Roland, Xavier Cugat and Ricardo Montalban wore cummerbunds.

I bet that Desiderio Arnaz did too.

by Anonymousreply 136January 18, 2022 6:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!