Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Does Naomi Watts Keep Getting Employed?

She's boring, bland, blank, and blah. I just saw her in "Gypsy," a turgid mid-life coming out as a lesbian piece of dreck on Netflix. She looks like Eva Marie Saint's younger sister, who was, except for "Waterfront," equally boring, bland, blank and blah. What is the allure?

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2022 11:24 PM

She plays the game. She slept with enough Hollywood players to earn her seat at the table

by Anonymousreply 1December 24, 2021 9:20 PM

In other words, Liev was a career move.

by Anonymousreply 2December 24, 2021 9:29 PM

She's talented "enough" and she's pretty "enough" and her asking price is low "enough" and so she gets work that is turned down by more popular actresses or when they can't afford one.

Eva Marie Saint is a good comparison.

by Anonymousreply 3December 24, 2021 9:32 PM

Amazing what paint in a surgeon can do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 24, 2021 9:45 PM

Watch Mulholland Drive. Best performance by an actress in the last 20 years. She was great in 21 Grams, The Impossible and King Kong.

Unfortunately she’s made lots of crappy films in the last 5 years. She really needs a hit.

by Anonymousreply 5December 24, 2021 9:58 PM

I like Naomi and I liked Gypsy. I think Naomi's narrative as a scrappy underdog who struggled to break into the big time helps her, as opposed to her gal pal Nicole Kidman who rose relatively easily with the help of TC. I would prefer to watch her in something other than Nicole. especially since now I can't look at Nicole's face.

by Anonymousreply 6December 24, 2021 10:09 PM

She didn't have plastic surgery. She lost a LOT of weight

here she is in Tank Girl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 27, 2021 1:58 AM

Here she is in Mulholland Drive (2001). She's got the same eyes and the same nose

Tank Girl was 1995

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2021 1:59 AM

She could never had dated Tom Cruise after doing this commercial .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2021 2:10 AM

Wasn't Mulholland Drive filmed quite a few years before its release? It was a TV pilot, no?

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2021 2:28 AM

She was astonishing in Mulholland Dr., but Billy Crudup? Really?

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2021 2:39 AM

She'll always get a pass because of Mulholland Drive. She was brilliant in it and deserved a nomination.

Her audition scene will go down as one of the greatest in cinema.

by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2021 2:42 AM

She was very good in Twin Peaks the Return.

by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2021 2:47 AM

I think she's pretty pleasant and likeable on camera. That goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2021 2:48 AM

Amongst Australians there is sometimes talk about the fact that our actors that get famous in Hollywood are often not our best, or are ones who have some great performances but are not that consistent and wondering why this is. I guess they have the look that works for Hollywood though? As someone said above, Naomi seems really pleasant and likeable which helps. I've never been really wowed by her yet. Having said that, I've not see Mulholland Drive, so need to.

I also think Cate Blanchett and Nicole Kidman can be pretty bland too. I mean, people here do sometimes refer to the former as "Cate Bland-as-Shit", so...

(having said that, a friend of mine met Cate before she was famous and said she was really lovely.)

by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2021 5:25 AM

R15 Have you ever seen Blue Jasmine?

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2021 5:36 AM

As everyone has said, she was like phenomenal in MD. A funny anecdote about the audition scene: I had gone to the restroom & came in partway through it, so I was even more discombobulated by it, as I’d last seen her running lines (atrociously) with Laura Harring’s character, then came in midway through that transformational scene.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2021 5:44 AM

I’m probably the only person who liked Gypsy, & really identified with the main character. I used to use people like that, kind of worming my way into their lives the way she did. I wished it would’ve gotten a second season, instead of ending with that abrupt cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2021 5:56 AM

She was fantastic in Mulholland Drive, 21 Grams, and The Impossible. Playing Diana was a big mistake and she hasn't recovered.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2021 5:59 AM

Fell in love with her in Mulhollland Drive.

She was fabulous and deserved a career from that performance alone.

She has poor representation that has picked bad projects for her in recent years. But hey, she's over 50 and still working. That's something.

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2021 6:22 AM

[quote] She's boring, bland,

She's as boring as Vera Miles. She's as blandly icy as Grace Kelly.

Though I will force myself to eventually watch this one—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2021 7:21 AM

I have, R16. I didn't come away from it feeling very good.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2021 7:35 AM

I like her. Always have.

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2021 8:42 AM

She seems nice

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2021 8:48 AM

She was really good as a Russian hooker in the Bill Murray film, St. Vincent.

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2021 9:01 AM

R21 One of the few great films she has appeared in.

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2021 9:08 AM

She produced it too.

by Anonymousreply 27December 28, 2021 3:55 AM

St. Vincent is a really good film. A nice surprise.

by Anonymousreply 28December 28, 2021 4:10 AM

Naomi received a SAG nomination for St. Vincent.

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2021 7:21 PM

Does the name Naomi indicate her as a descendant of the Ancient Jewess Naomi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 28, 2021 7:28 PM

Are you for real R30? You don’t belong here.

by Anonymousreply 31December 29, 2021 11:25 AM

She’s often the best thing in an otherwise meh movie. I thought she was fantastic in the remake of Funny Games, which didn’t even need to be made.

by Anonymousreply 32December 29, 2021 12:58 PM

Oh, she’s also brilliant in ‘The Ring,’ which is pretty underrated these days considering how popular it was when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 33December 29, 2021 1:01 PM

She was very good in a film I saw a few years back about the tsunami in India. I think her “problem” is she’s sort of a B+ at everything: she’s a good actress, just not a great one, very pretty but not strikingly beautiful, she works regularly but doesn’t put the hustle in for fame that some other actors do, etc. But as a result she makes a good living, has a family and time for them, doesn’t get swarmed by the press, so maybe she’s the smart one!

by Anonymousreply 34December 29, 2021 1:05 PM

I like Naomi but I can't face watching the Funny Games remake. The original was traumatising enough.

by Anonymousreply 35January 4, 2022 3:08 AM

She’s got 3 films and Ryan Murphy’s The Watcher coming up! Let’s hope for some hits!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2022 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!