Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's with people who MUST have loud music blaring constantly...?

From the time they get out of bed in the morning and to accompany their every activity? It drives me crazy to spend time with friends like this.

I'm at a hotel, and I can hear the radio blaring in the next room. It's not all that loud, but it's 9:30am! Can't you get showered and dressed without music blaring? I slip into sensory overload very quickly, I like big stretches of quiet I guess.

by Anonymousreply 49December 26, 2021 9:35 PM

It's obnoxious. But to be fair I've grown tired of music in general as I have become older. I really seldom enjoy hearing it at all.

by Anonymousreply 1December 24, 2021 1:52 PM

Grannies

by Anonymousreply 2December 24, 2021 1:57 PM

You're old OP. Didn't you play a lot of loud music when you were young?

by Anonymousreply 3December 24, 2021 1:59 PM

I listened to music in the car and at home, usually with headphones, but not as background. I listened to music as the activity itself, not mindlessly blaring while I did other things. I've never liked it too loud either. I had siblings and parents doing their own thing, or watching tv so I didn't want to disturb them.

by Anonymousreply 4December 24, 2021 2:04 PM

I agree with you 100% OP. This is becoming a major issue with my partner and me as we get older. He still wants loud music on all the time and I can't bear it.

by Anonymousreply 5December 24, 2021 2:05 PM

I never liked loud TV or Music, even when young. It always seemed to get louder as I listened and I was the “turner downer” in the house.

by Anonymousreply 6December 24, 2021 2:14 PM

Attention seeking. " Look at me, look at me!!"

by Anonymousreply 7December 24, 2021 2:48 PM

I always wonder what kind of dark thoughts they are trying to drown out

by Anonymousreply 8December 24, 2021 2:54 PM

Puny cocklet.

by Anonymousreply 9December 24, 2021 2:54 PM

WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 10December 24, 2021 2:56 PM

Some people are death from standing too close to speakers at rock concerts in the seventies. Then they don’t want hearing aids because they represent old age to them.

by Anonymousreply 11December 24, 2021 4:19 PM

Kiddies trying so hard to seem like they are cool, only to look like they are fools

by Anonymousreply 12December 24, 2021 5:06 PM

R4 I'm the same. I focus too much on the music and not enough on what I'm supposed to be doing. It would take me much longer to do something if I was listening to music I like at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 13December 24, 2021 5:13 PM

My SIL, whom I do like, is like this. Constant music or banging away on her guitar or piano. Took a road trip with them once and it was constant singing. No quiet at all.

by Anonymousreply 14December 24, 2021 5:13 PM

What about the idiots out walking, biking or jogging with ear plugs? Complete careless stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 15December 24, 2021 5:15 PM

R15, it’s ubiquitous and I don’t understand it. I want to know what’s going on around me. Everyone seems to have an ear or eyes somewhere else- glued to a tech device.

by Anonymousreply 16December 24, 2021 5:19 PM

The neighbors had their music on loud all Christmas Day last year and I was wondering if they would do it again this year, and since a friend of theirs just showed up blasting his music as loudly as possible, I guess the answer is yes.

They'd been on their best behavior for a few weeks, ever since their rat bastard kids were caught throwing rocks at our windows, so I was hoping they'd tone it down for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 17December 24, 2021 5:23 PM

How about people who blare their car radios while pumping gas? I've encountered this often.

by Anonymousreply 18December 24, 2021 6:07 PM

Never go to a beach in South Florida. Certain people do not be able to function without blasting annoying crappy Latin rap etc.

by Anonymousreply 19December 24, 2021 6:15 PM

I thought this was why ear buds were invented.

by Anonymousreply 20December 24, 2021 6:18 PM

I love listening to music fairly loud, but not to the point people Around me are disturbed by it. I wear EarPods in gym, while walking, shopping, I don’t like silence

by Anonymousreply 21December 24, 2021 6:53 PM

It a product of your old age. Sad

by Anonymousreply 22December 24, 2021 6:55 PM

[Quote]...not be able to function without blasting annoying crappy Latin rap etc

When the beaches were closed on your side of the state, R19, those same people brought that loud crap over to the Southwest side of Florida.

Thanks...Not!

by Anonymousreply 23December 24, 2021 7:06 PM

r22 is obsessed with pronouns and microaggressions but think's nasty ageism is quite acceptable.

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 24December 24, 2021 7:32 PM

The walls in the townhome complex where I live are good at blocking sound, but the windows aren't, and the parking lot area is just feet from the windows. I have trashy new neighbors who love to sit in their car, with the car stereo blasting at full volume, for a good 10 or 15 minutes before leaving in the morning and then do the same when they return home. Even with my windows closed and the TV on, I am assaulted by loud rap/hip-hop and thumping bass every time they leave or return home.

by Anonymousreply 25December 24, 2021 7:46 PM

R11,I always said that such music kills our youth.

by Anonymousreply 26December 24, 2021 8:51 PM

Some people like radio for company, especially talk-back. My mother for example hated silence but I hate radio blather so I was always turning her radio off.

by Anonymousreply 27December 24, 2021 9:34 PM

I don’t know how people live with complete silence in their house. Even in my office, I must half talk radio or MSNBC on in the background

by Anonymousreply 28December 24, 2021 10:03 PM

I'm curious why some people can't bear silence. I enjoy listening to the birds singing, cicadas chirping or the chatter of everyday workspaces. Personally, I think it's really dangerous to walk or jog with music in your ears. Leaves you vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 29December 24, 2021 10:21 PM

I love media

by Anonymousreply 30December 24, 2021 10:22 PM

Cicadas chirping! God no, thank the Lord they have short lifespans.

by Anonymousreply 31December 24, 2021 10:24 PM

R11 what's people's hearing going to be like in the future from constant use of headphones and earbuds and loud speakers in cars?

by Anonymousreply 32December 24, 2021 10:25 PM

I think it's a peaceful natural sound R31. Like frogs.

by Anonymousreply 33December 24, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote] I'm curious why some people can't bear silence. I enjoy listening to the birds singing, cicadas chirping or the chatter of everyday workspaces

But that isn't silence.

by Anonymousreply 34December 25, 2021 4:12 PM

OP, you might have an undiagnosed mental disorder.

by Anonymousreply 35December 25, 2021 4:34 PM

Its the natural world r34

by Anonymousreply 36December 25, 2021 4:56 PM

Sensitivity to noise is a symptom of autism or someone on the spectrum. I remember in a documentary on Phyllis Diller she said she loved silence but you had to be rich to get it. She was referencing how spent most of her time on tour and staying in hotels and must have had neighbours who partied in their rooms.

by Anonymousreply 37December 25, 2021 5:05 PM

We live in a society that has been trained to have external stimulation at all times. It's not just young people who are noisemakers, although I'd say they're the majority. My sister, who's 63 has the television on almost all the time. While she's on the phone, doing another activity, upstairs far from the TV, and while she's got company, even if no one is focused on the whatever is on, and are having a conversation. A number of times while on a recent trip, I said, "Can we turn that off so we can talk?" She said, "Oh sure! Let me turn it off." That tells me that it's simply a habit.

There's also music, loud vocal pop music playing everywhere: the drug store, the supermarket, the doctor's office, every retail store, every restaurant. EVERYFUCKINGWHERE. Music in public places and retail establishments used to be background music that was unobtrusive. Now, everywhere you go, it's as if you're inside a radio station. It's absurd.

And don't get me started on those ridiculous after-market exhaust systems that people put on their cars. A Lamborghini your Toyota is not, and it doesn't need to sound like one. It's pathetic. It's like a guy putting a sock down his pants.

by Anonymousreply 38December 25, 2021 5:14 PM

Only people that are high do that.

by Anonymousreply 39December 25, 2021 5:26 PM

I generally like the music playing at my gym. They have about 50 songs on an ipod loop and it's such a different vibe when the ipod is off for some reason. The music is loud but not deafening and certainly cannot cover if people are endlessly chatting or a trainer is counting. That's when I bring out my own headphones but they make my body hotter, temp-wise.

by Anonymousreply 40December 25, 2021 5:39 PM

Be considerate - wear headphones or ear plugs. You shouldn't want to ever negatively impact anyone'f life.

by Anonymousreply 41December 25, 2021 5:49 PM

What about when they have little kids in the car. With their little tiny ear drums. It’s child abuse. Scumbags, the lot.

by Anonymousreply 42December 25, 2021 6:07 PM

What irritates me to no end is how all restaurants, even the fancier ones in NYC, must have loud music playing at ALL TIMES. I tell them to turn it down. Why do people go out at all with others if the establishment makes it impossible to talk with the other people?

Millennials, please explain.

by Anonymousreply 43December 25, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote]What about when they have little kids in the car. With their little tiny ear drums. It’s child abuse.

I understand. My parents didn't play music, they just filled the car with cigarette smoke.

by Anonymousreply 44December 25, 2021 6:22 PM

Yes, r35, I've been diagnosed with an addiction to my own peaceful thoughts.

I'll work on it!

by Anonymousreply 45December 26, 2021 3:06 AM

I hate it when I go camping and people have music blaring.

What I’ve always wondered is why can’t people enjoy their music at a normal level? Why does louder make it better? Nothing changes the makeup of the song when turning it up, it just gets louder not better. I’ve never understood this. It’s like standing up at a concert (not dancing) but just standing. Isn’t the concert the same standing as being seated? (barring being unable to see.) I love music but I will be in my house all day in complete silence.

by Anonymousreply 46December 26, 2021 4:16 AM

This goes way back. In the 1970s, Ann Landers said she didn't believe in Capital Punishment. That is except for those people who walk the streets carrying boom boxes blaring music at high decibels. Yes, dear youngsters, it was not a myth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 26, 2021 2:21 PM

[quote]Yes, dear youngsters, it was not a myth.

It was a joke

by Anonymousreply 48December 26, 2021 9:35 PM

r47

Ann Landers is a nosey old biddy

by Anonymousreply 49December 26, 2021 9:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!