Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Death on the Nile” trailer is nearly absent of Armie Hammer

LOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 31, 2022 7:21 PM

No sign either of Russell Brand.

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2021 5:37 PM

... and proper English is absent FROM OP.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2021 6:21 PM

It looks like fun, despite Hammer's presence and that beautiful log of driftwood Gal.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2021 6:47 PM

Stick with the original, Don't need no woke Christie

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2021 6:51 PM

LOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2021 6:56 PM

It’s trending number 7 on Twitter.

This is unrelated but I thought it was hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2021 7:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2021 7:02 PM

The "Where's Wally?" of Murder Mysteries

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2021 11:20 PM

R1 Here's literally there.

Just doesn't look like he normally does.

I didn't recognise him myself until I looked him up for this role.

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2021 11:24 PM

Where's Olivia Hussey?

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2021 11:27 PM

He's in there repeatedly. A nasty face I could really do without seeing. You tricked us, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2021 11:34 PM

At least he's not sliding his hand up that chick's couter like he did in the original edit.

God knows how that will play out in the cinema

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2021 11:45 PM

Is this fucking movie ever going to come out?

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2022 1:10 AM

Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French. I’d love to see this movie.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2022 1:20 AM

It should be reshot and all the characters recast with Trans Women of Color! Now!

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2022 1:20 AM

He looks so hot in this trailer! I can't wait, I've been wanting to see this movie for ages.

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2022 1:23 AM

the remake of Murder on the Orient Express bombed big time, and for this one, I am afraid it will end up with the same, no one cares! not the viewers, not the film critics.

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2022 1:28 AM

It has that Instagram glossy look that is becoming so unpalatable

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2022 1:34 AM

When this flops at the box-office, it may well hurt Branagh's chances of winning BP and Best Director at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2022 1:59 AM

Branagh's remake of "Orient Express" was a box office smash, which is how "Death on the Nile" got greenlit.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2022 2:05 AM

[quote]At least he's not sliding his hand up that chick's couter like he did in the original edit.

Oh, but it's so edgy! It's 1937 and Simon is practically fingering Jacqueline on the dance floor!

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2022 2:29 AM

Lmaoooooo where’s the husband?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2022 3:24 AM

I hear Amie Hammer really "chews the scenery" in this film.

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2022 3:40 AM

No-one will risk covid to watch this shit in the theatre

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2022 3:48 AM

R22 He's here ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2022 1:34 PM

And Then There Was No Armie

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2022 1:43 PM

I do want to see this, but they did many changes to the story, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2022 2:09 PM

He's so hot. I'd let him nibble on my anytime.

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote]I do want to see this, but they did many changes to the story, apparently.

I want to see it too, but it's weird to feel that when at the same time I am sure I will not enjoy it at all. The trailers don't fill me with confidence anyway.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2022 7:22 PM

I still wanna see it for Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders.

And I may be alone with this, but I liked the high-end perfume ad vibe in the scenes with Gal Gadot in the original trailer, ages ago.

Waiting for a theater release didn't help Steven Spielberg's West Side Story. I can't see Death on the Nile topping Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express financially.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2022 7:27 PM

Considering the original is such a (camp) classic the only point of a remake is getting delicious scenery chewing performances from the cast.

The remake of Murder On The Orient Express had an all star cast, some decent performances but for me fell flat, possibly because I was comparing it to the original and missed the opening sequence with the newspaper headlines to set the scene.

The David Suchet Poirot adaptation of Death On The Nile was enjoyable because of Frances de la Tour as Angela Lansbury, Judy Parfitt as Bette Davis and a then unknown Emily Blunt as Lois Chiles.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2022 7:28 PM

[quote]The David Suchet Poirot adaptation of Death On The Nile was enjoyable because of Frances de la Tour as Angela Lansbury, Judy Parfitt as Bette Davis and a then unknown Emily Blunt as Lois Chiles.

I've said before, but I think Zoe Telford was the standout for me, playing the character of Rosalie very differently (and more true to the novel) than Olivia Hussey. Though it's not my favourite adaptation (can't go past the '78 film), I did like how this is the only adaptation to really show how young Linnet, Simon and Jackie are. It makes the melodrama of their relationship more believable, I feel.

I'm really only wanting to see this for French and Saunders, and Sophie Okonedo. Gal Gadot does look great dressed up in 30s gear.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2022 7:36 PM

You can't really top this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2022 7:45 PM

[quote]I'm really only wanting to see this for French and Saunders,

Jennifer Saunders has worked with Kenneth Branagh before In The Bleak Midwinter and I'm sure she can be a magnificent cunt. Dawn French worries me. She really does have a tendency to mug to the camera, and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2022 7:48 PM

So good, r33! As is this part:

"She did 15 rounds once with Jack Dempsey."

Also, my favourite lines are at the end:

- Come, Bowers. This place is beginning to resemble a mortuary.

- Thank God you'll be in one yourself before too long, bloody old fossil!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2022 7:48 PM

The original Death On The Nile probably have one of the best casts of all time

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2022 7:54 PM

How does Gal Gadot get cast in so many movies? Does anyone really care about her outside of that first Wonder Woman movie she did?

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2022 8:06 PM

[quote] How does Gal Gadot get cast in so many movies?

Google Q rating.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2022 8:17 PM

Is it maybe a red herring and he’s the actual killer in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2022 9:13 PM

[quote]Jennifer Saunders has worked with Kenneth Branagh before In The Bleak Midwinter and I'm sure she can be a magnificent cunt. Dawn French worries me. She really does have a tendency to mug to the camera, and not in a good way.

In the fifth season of French and Saunders, they did a "Star crossed lovers" series of sketches and one of them was the "Ken and Emma Story" where they basically poked fun at, mostly, Kenneth Branagh (I believe they were friends with Emma Thompson in the early days, and Thompson tells a story somewhere of the two of them trying to talk her off the ledge after her relationship troubles). I wonder if he ever knew about it, he doesn't seem the type to have much of sense of humour about himself.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2022 10:42 PM

R19 Oscar voting deadline is Feb. 2nd and this thing will be unleashed Feb. 11th so Branagh still has a chance and under any circumstance he will probably win Best Original Screenplay and Belfast has steadily maintained its place as a front runner for Best Picture since it was released. The Oscar for direction will go to a woman: Jane Campion

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2022 10:58 PM

[quote]Is it maybe a red herring and he’s the actual killer in the movie?

How is that possible? He gets shot by the killer of his wife in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 11:01 PM

R42 huh?

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2022 11:13 PM

Hmm... with Morocco standing for Egypt. So, lots of CGI temples, pyramids etc.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2022 11:50 PM

The original "Death on the Nile" probably has the greatest score for a genre film ever.

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2022 11:53 PM

[quote][R42] huh?

He shoots himself at the time he kills his wife to divert suspicion away from him.

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2022 12:06 AM

R46 The remake isn’t going to follow the plot of the original is it, why remake it then everyone would already know who the killer is going to be?

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2022 12:11 AM

Score was by Nino Rota, who also scored The Godfather.

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2022 12:13 AM

Branagh didn't change the ending of his Murder of the Orient Express remake. You think he's that creative to come up with a different ending that would people go, "geez, why didn't Agatha Christie think of that?".

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2022 12:14 AM

What possible reason is there for the remake if not to change the murderer?

by Anonymousreply 50January 15, 2022 12:21 AM

[quote] What possible reason is there for the remake if not to change the murderer?

Because the original was more than 40 years ago and so most people have not seen it.

by Anonymousreply 51January 15, 2022 12:28 AM

Insisting they have to change the ending of the story because it's been made before is stupid.

It's akin to saying they would have to change the ending of any film adaptation of a mystery novel because some people will have read the original novel.

by Anonymousreply 52January 15, 2022 12:30 AM

They just remade Scream yet again for the fifth time, I’m sure they changed the killer.

by Anonymousreply 53January 15, 2022 12:31 AM

If you don't understand the difference between a remake and a sequel, there is no hope for you.

by Anonymousreply 54January 15, 2022 12:59 AM

This movie is insufficiently 'Urban' and insufficiently 'Bad-Ass'.

by Anonymousreply 55January 15, 2022 1:06 AM

[quote]The David Suchet Poirot adaptation of Death On The Nile was enjoyable because of Frances de la Tour as Angela Lansbury, Judy Parfitt as Bette Davis and a then unknown Emily Blunt as Lois Chiles.

And JJ Field playing Simon Doyle (as Armie Hammer). He looked like a mix of Tom Hiddleston and Jude Law:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 15, 2022 4:06 AM

R47 they remade west Side Story, and everyone knows the ending.

by Anonymousreply 57January 15, 2022 4:44 AM

[quote]This movie is insufficiently 'Urban' and insufficiently 'Bad-Ass'.

Shoulda got Roxane Gay to pen the script.

by Anonymousreply 58January 15, 2022 4:44 AM

"How Death on the Nile became a disaster movie"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 15, 2022 7:23 AM

JJ Feild was absolutely dreamy. Not shy about getting the old cock-a-doodle-doo out either.

I don't see how they can change the culprit here, that would be like changing the ending of MOTOE.

The first murder is a bit convoluted though so maybe they can tidy that up.

by Anonymousreply 60January 15, 2022 8:50 AM

R57 Tony lives in the new version.

by Anonymousreply 61January 15, 2022 8:51 AM

West Side Story had a trans masc non binary character who follows people around and spies on them.

Maybe Death On The Nile will have a trans masc non binary character who follows people around and spies on them.

by Anonymousreply 62January 15, 2022 8:59 AM

[quote]I don't see how they can change the culprit here, that would be like changing the ending of MOTOE.

It has been years (decades - time flies) since I have read it, but one of the reasons I remember the ending to this one is because of the culprit. I think it gave it a bit more of an emotional punch and a bit more weight than some of the others. Would be a shame if they changed it. The trailer seemed to hint at having a few action scenes that probably aren't necessary.

by Anonymousreply 63January 15, 2022 1:20 PM

Agatha sometimes slightly marred a great story by having one too many corpses towards the end.

A Murder Is Announced, Cards On The Table and thus novel spring to mind.

by Anonymousreply 64January 15, 2022 2:13 PM

R62 But the outcome is the same despite the character of 'Anybody's' being made more specific in the remake.

by Anonymousreply 65January 15, 2022 3:49 PM

Arnie is so cute I could just eat him alive!

by Anonymousreply 66January 15, 2022 4:16 PM

They're not going to change the ending. There's one just one nut posting who thinks they need to do this.

by Anonymousreply 67January 15, 2022 4:23 PM

[quote]The trailer seemed to hint at having a few action scenes that probably aren't necessary.

Yeah, they did that in MOTOE too, from memory. It felt much more of an action movie than Christies usually do.

by Anonymousreply 68January 15, 2022 6:46 PM

Oh please, Christie is a hack writer, it’s not like a sacred text that can’t be altered, these are mysteries and this is a woman who named one of her books Ten Little Niggers, she should have been canceled decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 69January 15, 2022 6:53 PM

^Someone who's never read a Christie in their life.

by Anonymousreply 70January 15, 2022 6:55 PM

Is Salome Otterbourne still going to be a sex writer in decline? There is a lot of humour in that and space to develop that humour too, but from the trailer it looks like she is meant to be some kind of lounge singer instead?

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2022 6:56 PM

R69 do one you moron.

by Anonymousreply 72January 15, 2022 10:59 PM

They do appear to have changed a lot of the secondary characters, r71, though she can still be a drunk.

The action scenes in the recent MOTOE were ridiculous and unnecessary, cutting extra time from the main cast scenes. But actually the murder in Death on the Nile is an action scene of sorts, with much screaming and running about.

by Anonymousreply 73January 16, 2022 10:45 AM

Does anyone have a Times subscription and could repost?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2022 2:30 PM

There's a paywall free link at R59

by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2022 2:36 PM

Armie Hammer was ram-rodded. I'd say he deserves his career back but he wasn't much of an actor, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 76January 16, 2022 2:43 PM

[Quote] covid

Fake news.

by Anonymousreply 77January 16, 2022 2:51 PM

"Finally out next month" according to that article. So we should get a chance to see it soon.

I recently rewatched Branagh's MOTOE and it didn't improve on me since the first time. I really do think I'll just be watching Death on the Nile to see what they do with the story and don't expect to like it. But we shall see!

by Anonymousreply 78January 16, 2022 6:37 PM

I confess the trailer looks good, even Gal Gadot, better than tne previous ones. It will inevitably be disappointing but am expecting this. Salome still dies, based on the comment from her daughter. It is such an unbelievable, risky murder but AC somewhat pulls it off as it is very much in character.

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2022 12:48 AM

JJ Feild's father joined Tom and Dusty Springfield in The Springfields vocal group.

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2022 1:52 AM

Armie has never bothered to drop his pants like JJ Feild has, ergo he is not fit to be a leading man in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2022 8:10 AM

R69

It was renamed "And then there were none" in 1939, in the UK.

That's 82 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2022 8:49 PM

R82 Actually, it was first named Ten Little Indians, not much of an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2022 11:46 PM

I just watched this, I had no idea that Kenneth was playing the lead, I thought he was just directing. He really can’t play Belgian at all, there was nothing in the least a bit Belgian about his performance and he is way too thin. Would it have killed him to gain weight for the role? Also, I could not wrap my mind around whatever accent Gal was trying to come up with. She is a really terrible actress after all isn’t she?

by Anonymousreply 84February 2, 2022 4:23 PM

Lucky break for Armie not to be associated with "Dead in the Water" as per the NY Times' review

by Anonymousreply 85February 15, 2022 4:01 AM

Lois Chiles may not have been a good actress, but she has the right hauteur for the part something Girl Gadget lacks.

by Anonymousreply 86February 15, 2022 4:07 AM

Apparently it took the #1 spot at the box office over the weekend, though in the age of COVID that's not saying much. It made less than $15 million.

by Anonymousreply 87February 15, 2022 4:40 AM

R87 and after Valentine's Day weekend Dead in the Water and JLow's rom com garbage will drop precipitously at the BO as Jackass Forever surpasses their combined total grosses.

by Anonymousreply 88February 15, 2022 4:52 AM

This is now on HBO Max, for anyone interested.

It's really not any good. No one in it is any good. I find Kenneth Branagh a bad director and an even more annoying actor. Gidget looks pretty but she's not good either.

God forgive me, but Armie looks really hot in it. That's pretty much the only recommendation I can give it.

by Anonymousreply 89March 31, 2022 1:10 AM

"Gidget" lol

by Anonymousreply 90March 31, 2022 6:49 AM

I watched 'Death On The Nile' yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. Unlike R4, I had no issues with the addition of black female characters and lesbians to the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 91March 31, 2022 10:29 AM

It's not a great film but it's entertaining enough. Like R89 says, Armie does look really good in it and if you've watched the film, no spoilers but you can understand why they weren't able to cut him out of it.

by Anonymousreply 92March 31, 2022 10:56 AM

I watched it last night on HBO Max. I enjoyed it well enough. I liked Gal. It was fun seeing French & Saunders.

It was cool seeing Emma Mackey playing something so different from her Sex Education role. I love Sophie Okonedo in EVERYTHING, and I loved her voice and accent here. Even Russell Brand wasn’t bad.

Letitia Wright was the weak link..didn’t capture the “period” and sure didn’t seem like a contemporary of Gal Gadot.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the original and have never read the book—are Annette Bening and her son new characters?

by Anonymousreply 93March 31, 2022 11:21 AM

Armie is a horrible actor. Glad he's byebye now.

by Anonymousreply 94March 31, 2022 11:24 AM

He really is so untalented. Handsome but let's not pretend he got where he is on talent.

by Anonymousreply 95March 31, 2022 7:21 PM

He needs to show his pinga

by Anonymousreply 96March 31, 2022 7:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!