Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marisa Tomei: I have mixed feelings

I think she is gorgeous and sexy, with a natural and healthy glow about her. I’ve enjoyed her in lots of movies. She’s a versatile actress.

However, since following her on Instagram, I’ve come to see her as an insufferable, precious, self obsessed beast.

I love her and I hate her!

Here she is giving beauty tips for Vogue. Yes it’s chick click stuff but whatever. She comes across as self deprecating and charming.

Think I might watch My Cousin Vinny tonight. Haven’t seen it since 1991 or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 20, 2022 6:07 AM

Yes because no gay man was ever precious, self-obsessed, or insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2021 12:12 AM

Marisa is a good sturdy Italian broad. She's a sweetheart too, if you hate her the problem may lie with you

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2021 12:18 AM

She supposed to be a nightmare to work with and that's why her career hasn't been bigger

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2021 12:20 AM

OP comes to the startlingly brilliant insight that someone is a mixed bag.

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2021 12:26 AM

Great in My Cousin Vinny

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2021 12:29 AM

Why all the asshole replies? Yes this is Datalounge, however I just wanted to talk about my mixed feelings about someone who seems both very attractive and possibly incredibly annoying.

R1, R2 and R4. : fuck you with a four sided cheese grater.

R3 provides some gossip, which is refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2021 12:41 AM

I always compare her to Julianne Moore. They both started off on "As The World Turns". Both were wonderful in their roles and you just knew they would go on to bigger and better things. Marisa never mentioned her soap roots when her career took off. Julianne not only spoke highly of her time on the show, but went back to do a cameo before the show's cancellation. I like Julianne more.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2021 12:41 AM

Marisa is very sexy but I would agree that Julianne seems the more decent human being.

I wonder if Marisa is a lez? You never hear about her dating life, do you?

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2021 12:43 AM

I like that she's still friends with Lisa Bonet after all these years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2021 12:48 AM

I love the OP and I hate the OP. I have mixed feelings about the OP.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2021 12:48 AM

I love that someone made a mashup of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2021 12:51 AM

She has held on to her looks better than Lisa Bonet, who looks waxy now.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2021 1:18 AM

LOL R11

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2021 1:20 AM

I saw her on Seth Meyers this week. She looks great for her age and doesn't appear to have had a lot of plastic surgery. She's a much better actress than she's given credit for. Don't know why she didn't have a bigger career. She's certainly more interesting than Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2021 1:33 AM

I met someone who worked with celebrities on movie promotion tours and said that hands down, she was the worst person she had to work with.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2021 2:39 AM

I'm sure her Charity would have been one for the ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2021 2:43 AM

[quote] I wonder if Marisa is a lez? You never hear about her dating life, do you?

I wondered that as well. Never married nor linked to any guy.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2021 2:47 AM

Met her. Wack job.

Did you see her on Ellen selling an exercise video that's centered around a Hula Hoop???? What the fuq? I thought they were doing a sketch!!! It was real!!!

Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2021 2:56 AM

I know nothing about her personal life or values, but she was so adorable in MCV that I hope she’s good people.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2021 2:59 AM

Lesbo? (Never married, was in the audience of Ellen's big return to standup comedy show after her "break" from showbiz.)

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2021 3:31 AM

Then unfollow her. It's not like she forced you to look at her Twitter feed. What else do you expect to find on Twitter other than self obsessed vapid idiots in love with their own voices.

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2021 3:34 AM

My sister worked on her at a salon in the late 90s. Initially she thought Marissa was tough and standoffish.

But 10 minutes later they were laughing and joking like they were old friends. Is that how typical Italian girls from Brooklyn are?

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2021 3:41 AM

She was all set to do a Vinny sequel, but after this romantic comedy with RDJ bombed, they canceled it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2021 3:45 AM

Is this the won who accidentally won an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2021 3:48 AM

I'm curious about Only You. Look how cute RDJ is there.

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2021 3:49 AM

that seems odd r23

Wouldn't Joe Pesci have been the main reason it got made or didn't?

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2021 3:51 AM

She gave her life to the Green Goblin so that Spider-Man might learn for the zillionth time that being a super-hero does not mean he can save everyone he loves, and so he might emote again extravagantly on camera.

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2021 3:58 AM

R21 I am addicted to mentally hatefucking celebs on social media.

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2021 4:04 AM

I'll give her props for having no toothpaste splatter on the mirror. It slays me on gay hookup sites when a guy is in sensational shape and there's leetle splats of toothpaste on the mirror when he snaps his selfies. Actually, I find it very amusing. Amusing, not endearing.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2021 5:18 AM

Her career was derailed by that awful rumor. Which some people still think is true.

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2021 5:31 AM

youtube cleared up the rumor. Palance clearly didn't read her name off the teleprompter (she was listed alphabetically last that was the rumor, he just got confused. And La La Land showed us what they do when a mistake is made.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2021 5:34 AM

You do know that there's still a bunch of people who still think Jack Palance read the wrong name? She's never gonna live it down.

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2021 5:38 AM

I don’t know her.

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2021 6:03 AM

It's obvious he didn't r32. Plus she received two more nominations proving she wasn't a fluke unlike some of the other winners of that era (Mercedes Ruehl, Mira Sorvino, Goop)

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2021 6:17 AM

She did a great job in the new spider man movie.

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2021 7:26 AM

Tomei always stood on the outskirts of DL's early-2000s chalupa wars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2021 10:28 AM

In addition to her Oscar for My Cousin Vinny, she’s been nominated two other times over the course of 20 years I’d say that’s a pretty good career. She’s still working constantly in her mid-50s which lots and lots of actresses who were bigger movie stars in their 20’s couldn’t say.

by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2021 10:46 AM

She starred in a movie with McBongo called The Lincoln Lawyer. Very good movie. It's on Netflix. They had a lot of chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2021 5:36 PM

I'm glad she won that Oscar. Comedy never wins and then when it does people make up stories that it was a wrong announcement.

Her courtroom testimony where she knows all about cars is just lol funny for like 15 minutes or so. She was great.

by Anonymousreply 39December 19, 2021 2:44 AM

[quote] I'm glad she won that Oscar.

Absolutely. It's exactly the type of performance that a Best Supporting award is supposed to honor, 5 minutes that elevate an otherwise unremarkable movie to a whole different level. I don't really care for "My Cousin Vinnie" but if I come across it, I'll leave it on until *that* court testimony scene comes on and then it has my undivided attention.

There's an interview with Marisa on the New Yorker website/app today and, apparently, she's become a "death doola", someone helping people die peacefully by being around them in their last hours.

by Anonymousreply 40December 19, 2021 2:51 AM

She has had her hand in some very dangerous, unpleasant activities with people outside this country for a long time, and that's where her money comes from. She's hard as nails and the "acting" career has been more of a front for two decades.

by Anonymousreply 41December 19, 2021 2:58 AM

Has she been harvesting adrenochrome for a pedophile ring, R41?

by Anonymousreply 42December 19, 2021 3:02 AM

Stylist said Tomei was the WORST celebrity she had ever worked with

Tomei was late, rude and very particular.

Stylist showed up on time for an appointment with the actress at 9:30 a.m. but “Marisa didn’t wake up until 12:30 p.m., barely says hello, and proceeds to eat her breakfast of yogurt and granola,”

To add insult to injury, Tomei was also “extremely particular” and returned a lot of items.

by Anonymousreply 43December 19, 2021 3:06 AM

always loved her and my favorite films of hers is "untamed heart" with slater and rosie perez, gotta admit it make me cry everytime i see it...

having the nat king cole song "nature boy" played throughout and especially the end is melancholy perfection...

she was also great in "the wrestler' deserving of her/another oscar nomination...

oh yeah and i also loved "only you" regardless if it bombed or not...

by Anonymousreply 44December 19, 2021 3:23 AM

She was fantastic in "In the Bedroom", along with Sissy Spacek.

by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2021 3:24 AM

I don’t think she’s that pretty tbh.

by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2021 3:29 AM

Her agelessness & her childfree status can't be a coincidence. I think we found the fountain of youth, ladies!

by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2021 3:30 AM

[quote] provides some gossip, which is refreshing.

So you just want to hear negative things about her?

[quote]Stylist said Tomei was the WORST celebrity she had ever worked with

You're posting something that was in Page Six back in 2020.

She did have rumors that she was difficult to work with after her My Cousin Vinny win but that was likely bullshit.

She's a three time Academy Award nominated actress who won, one of those.

She's not Emmy Rossum where people that have actually worked with the woman have come forward over the years and have said that she's a pain in the ass. I've known a couple of people who have met her and I'm there have been stories here too over the years and they've all say/said she's actually pretty cool if not weird.

by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2021 3:33 AM

[quote]She supposed to be a nightmare to work with and that's why her career hasn't been bigger

Sadly that was true for a very brief period when she shot from "working actress" to "very famous actress", and it did hurt her career for a bit. Not really breaking through as the above-the-title star in a huge commercial hit film is more likely the cause.

I know her a bit, or I used to know her better. She's from a nice family and her parents are great, especially her mom. She is actressy of course, but really just loves the work, especially stage work. She has many devoted friends, is not a psychotic druggie or drunk, is actually a lovely person and for fifty-seven years old she looks fucking fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2021 3:35 AM

She's always been very classy about that awful rumor. She's also very respected in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2021 3:40 AM

R48 I like gossip- negative, positive, fabricated - whatever.

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2021 3:45 AM

Gross! In OP's video she has hairy armpits! Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 52December 19, 2021 3:48 AM

She is a typical actress type. She is fairly down to earth . I’ve met her with her long time boyfriend and her sister several times.

by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote]I wondered that as well. Never married nor linked to any guy.

Marisa is not a lesbian. She has been able to keep her romances out of the tabloids for the most part. She also has been known to actually be single in between romances. Her longest romance which was on and off for years was with playwright and tv writer Frank Pugliese, although she's had her share of flings and affairs. My observation is that she's more interested in her work, not everyone is the marrying kind.

by Anonymousreply 54December 19, 2021 3:56 AM

I love her. As for being self obsessed she's an actress, it comes with the territory. I scrolled through her IG and it was nothing out of the ordinary for an entertainer. Of course there were selfies but it wasn't Instaho level.

by Anonymousreply 55December 19, 2021 4:13 AM

R47 I respect that she was rather upfront about not wanting kids. She said something to the effect of not everyone needs to have them. A lot of child free famous people are pressured to do the BS line about how it just never happened for them and it's super sad but oh well. Lest they incur the wrath of the baby obsessed public.

by Anonymousreply 56December 19, 2021 4:16 AM

She was too white for my show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 19, 2021 7:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 19, 2021 12:16 PM

some folks that have worked with her in NY theater don't have happy memories. I think they don't actually dislike her but the neuroses are rough on an ongoing basis

by Anonymousreply 59December 19, 2021 12:30 PM

But does her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 60December 19, 2021 12:56 PM

She lost me at Cetaphil but something must be working because she looks 15 years younger. Must be the child-free life.

by Anonymousreply 61December 19, 2021 3:30 PM

[quote] You're posting something that was in Page Six back in 2020.

Even thought we are two weeks from 2022

2020 was just one year ago.

by Anonymousreply 62December 19, 2021 3:38 PM

[quote] 2020 was just one year ago.

Are you this stupid or do you think the point was the person didn’t just link to the original article and instead said it like it was their own personal knowledge?

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2021 3:47 PM

[quote] instead said it like it was their own personal knowledge?

[quote] Stylist said Tomei was the WORST celebrity she had ever worked with

The sentence is written in 2nd person

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2021 3:57 PM

I’ve never heard anything nice about her.

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2021 4:19 PM

She was good in “Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead”. She shows her breasts, which were quite perfect.

by Anonymousreply 66December 19, 2021 5:09 PM

I’ve also read that she’s eccentric and somewhat precious. Sometimes it seems like not having kids can make a woman strange.

by Anonymousreply 67December 19, 2021 5:15 PM

She dated Logan Marshall Green Hardy

by Anonymousreply 68December 19, 2021 5:16 PM

“Sometimes it seems like not having kids can make a woman strange.”

The stupidity on here is sometimes breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 69December 19, 2021 5:30 PM

R69...I’ve noticed that too. But not in her case, I wonder if some women feel left out or separate from the pack if they choose not to have kids. I think it’s great and very cool when people do their own thing. But as you get older and so many of your friends do family‘s centric stuff it might feel different, esp when careers wind down.

She has always had a great figure and still looks very nice. I had heard rumors that she’s a drinker and a bit egocentric, but aren’t most actors consumed with themselves? To some extent. I would never be able to live under such scrutiny, but others live for attention, to each his own.

by Anonymousreply 70December 19, 2021 6:52 PM

Great actress. All three of her Oscar nominations are richly deserved.

by Anonymousreply 71December 19, 2021 6:54 PM

With that said, I have enjoyed every one of her performances, although Perez movie was not pleasant. Great in wrestler.

by Anonymousreply 72December 19, 2021 6:54 PM

r61 What's wrong with Cetaphil?

by Anonymousreply 73December 21, 2021 5:30 AM

R67 Oh please. There are no shortage of absolutely pathology ridden breeders. Particularly the ones with 3 or more kids who post 24 7 about their offspring .

by Anonymousreply 74December 21, 2021 5:44 AM

R73 I'm not r61 but I always felt cetaphil was ridiculously overrated and derms only recommend it out of laziness.

by Anonymousreply 75December 21, 2021 5:45 AM

They say she has that medically untreatable “fish” body odour. I’m not kidding

by Anonymousreply 76December 21, 2021 6:03 AM

Her plastic surgery was so obvious in the new spiderman, fat face (fillers) and wrinkled neck.

by Anonymousreply 77December 21, 2021 6:17 AM

Also, she’s had a TOTAL nasal reconstruction, due to collapse…..allegedly…..draw your own conclusions. She was a “naked Angel” doncha know….they could get wild I heard

by Anonymousreply 78December 21, 2021 6:18 AM

She's a very good actress. But way too old for the beauty tip shit. And she's not "luminous."

by Anonymousreply 79December 21, 2021 7:00 AM

I once saw her in her PJs getting coffee, years and years ago.

Another time, my friend was walking in the village and Marisa was strolling with her bike towards my friend and she looked at my beautiful friend for a long time, she was definitely checking her out. yes, my beautiful friend is a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 80December 21, 2021 7:17 AM

her dad is/was a famous lawyer. not sure if he's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 81December 21, 2021 7:22 AM

Maybe her and BFF Lisa Bonet will end up together now.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2022 8:55 PM

"I think she is gorgeous and sexy" -- you're talking about the dump you in the picture you posted, OP?

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2022 9:07 PM

Someone mentioned a possible drinking problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 18, 2022 12:27 AM

TomeiBonet

by Anonymousreply 85January 18, 2022 1:34 AM

Wow, having fun leaving a nightclub tipsy late at night and now she's Elaine Stritch!

I used to know Marisa at least socially years ago, she's in no way a drunk, or a lesbian and doesn't do drugs. In most ways she can be very sensible. The thing that she does that drives people nuts is that she takes forever to make decisions (accepting film projects), but these are not exactly small things. She's very slow to pull the trigger and can be overly cautious which can come across as flakey.

She has had the same friends for years and years.

by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2022 6:14 AM

She's gorgeous and talented, but she seems nutty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2022 6:22 AM

I will admit that Marisa and Cree Summer arm-and-arm at Zoe Kravitz's wedding was my pop culture highlight of 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 18, 2022 6:29 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 89January 18, 2022 6:38 AM

Of the big As The World Turns trio (Marisa Tomei, Meg Ryan, Julianne Moore), who was the biggest star?

by Anonymousreply 90January 19, 2022 1:23 AM

Meg Ryan. Julianne and Marisa are respected, and have Oscars, but they couldn't open a film to save their life. Throughout the 90's, Meg Ryan was at the top of the pyramid.

by Anonymousreply 91January 19, 2022 2:36 AM

I had no idea Julianne Moore had won an Oscar. The film was called "Still Alice" (2015) which I admit I've never even heard of.

by Anonymousreply 92January 19, 2022 5:45 AM

She's attractive, but very average looking. Same with Mira Sorvino.

by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2022 2:28 PM

R93 must be Michelle Pfeiffer.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2022 2:56 PM

I like Marisa, but her filmography is overall dreadful. It's a shame because it seems like on the rare occasions when she's actually in a good film, she's usually nominated for something.

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2022 7:12 PM

R95.. I guess ole Marisa just loves to work, perhaps it's about working, not necessarily the greatness of the project?

by Anonymousreply 96January 19, 2022 8:02 PM

Sidney Lumet’s “Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead”. She’s good in that.

by Anonymousreply 97January 19, 2022 11:36 PM

I actually can’t stand her in MCV, I found that performance so forced. The courtroom ‘deer’ scene where she smacks her head and is like “Bam!!! He SHOTCHA!!!!!!!” But I absolutely loved her in In The Bedroom and a few other movies too (she was even fun in that dreck The Guru)

I do think she’s a pretty lightweight actress overall given her reputation. Even her Oscar-nommed turn in The Wrestler was pretty by-the-numbers. And I never really understood the sex symbol thing that makes straight men love her. She’s always looked a bit squirrelly or rodentish to me.

by Anonymousreply 98January 20, 2022 6:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!