Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nordic Noir on streaming

List your favourites. Came up on another thread. I love that shit. It's dark.

It's hard to find but The Bridge got me hooked.

Recently, on Netflix, have liked Bordertown and Borderliner, separate shows. Borderliner has a gay character as the lead, though it's a secondary aspect to the story in most respects.

Also loved La Mante, which is French, obviously, but in the dark tradition.

by Anonymousreply 13December 19, 2021 4:38 AM

The original Bridge is one of my favorites- it’s the gold standard imho

I just finished “The Investigation” on HBOMAX and it was wild - based on a true story

I know I’m missing out on some good ones, so suggestions are welcome! Great thread, OP

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2021 4:27 PM

bump for the night shift

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2021 9:13 PM

Where can one watch The Bridge? It’s not on Netflix unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2021 9:17 PM

The Killing is hands down the best Nordic Noir series. Wallander gets an honourable mention.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2021 9:20 PM

The Break on Netflix (Belgian, 2 seasons) gets my vote, despite the unpalatable lead.

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2021 9:26 PM

The Valhalla Murders, Wisting, Before We Die, Young Wallander, Dead Wind.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2021 3:30 PM

The Bridge (all 4 seasons) is on Topic.

This is one of my favorite genres, I've watched a shitload of those shows and here are my recommendations:

The Bridge (Sweden/Denmark) - the gold standard Forbrydelsen/The Killing (Denmark) - another gold standard, the grandaddy of them all; once you watch the original you realize how inferior the US remake was even in its "good" seasons Bordertown (Finland) Borderliner (Norway) Wisting (Norway) Case (Iceland) Trapped (Iceland) Deadwind (Finland) Valhalla Murders (Iceland) The Lava Field (Iceland) Man In Room 301 (Finland)

Non-Nordic Nordic Noir (the best stuff is from French-speaking countries)

The Break (Belgium) Hotel Beau Sejour (Belgium) - it has a paranormal aspect, which I usually hate but here it works Black Spot (France) - same comment as with Hotel Beau Sejour The Twelve (Belgium) Chalet (France) The Forest (France) Witnesses (France) The Frozen Dead (France) La Mante (France)

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2021 3:46 PM

Aplogies for the screwed up formatting, I forgot about DL's idiosyncrasies when I posted that.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2021 3:57 PM

R3 When I lived in the US, I watched The Bridge (Bron) on Hulu.

I’m not sure if these are available in the US, but I recommend Den Som Draper, Blå Ögon, Det Göms i Snö, Zebrarummet, Utredningen (this might be The Investigation on HBO Max). I believe Snabba Cash and Occupied are on Netflix US - both are good watches. Beforeigners on HBO Max is a great mix of Nordic Noir and Sci-fi - I think the 2nd season begins in the US next week.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2021 4:00 PM

Snabba Cash and Caliphate are great Swedish shows, not Nordic Noir, but well worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2021 4:02 PM

R10 Caliphate is another good one. Thanks for the reminder - I meant to add a qualifier regarding Snabba Cash and Occupied. Neither are Nordic Noir, but worth the watch.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2021 4:17 PM

R7 listed the interesting ones. To me nothing beats Bron/Brœn the original series. Sofia Helin, who played fantastic Saga Noren, recently played princess Martha of Norway in a mini series Altantic Crossing, Kyle MacLachlan played FDR and wondeful Harriet Samson Harris was Eleanor. Okay series, interesting story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2021 4:38 PM

Sofia Helin was also in S2 of "Mystery Road", an Australian show starring very hunky Aaron Pedersen.

by Anonymousreply 13December 19, 2021 4:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!