Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Everything Everywhere All At Once

I can't remember the last time I saw a trailer that I was this excited about! Michelle Yeoh plays a character who exists across different timelines. Her son is played by the guy who played Short Round and Data from the Indiana Jones and Goonies. I haven't been to the movie theater in years but I'll definitely be going to see this in March.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 23, 2022 2:39 AM

Thanks for the tip, shill.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2021 12:36 PM

Michelle Yeoh and JLC? I'm in!

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2021 8:22 AM

One month away!

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2022 3:04 AM

This looks fantastic. I love mind bending sci-fi.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2022 3:07 AM

Interesting very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2022 3:09 AM

Looks like a big budget version of Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2022 3:17 AM

Isn't sci-fi mind-bending by default, r4?

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2022 3:18 AM

I'll watch it, it looks great, but it seems like a netflix movie. I feel like a regular movie studio would think this is too "out there" to be profitable.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2022 3:24 AM

No, r7. Mind bending sci-fi usually involves alternate realities caused by shifts in the time and space continuum that we experience through one protagonist.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2022 3:26 AM

Tight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2022 4:59 PM

Team

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2022 5:00 PM

i'm excited for it.

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2022 5:02 PM

What a stupid title for a movie though.

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2022 6:15 PM

R13 it could be worse.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2022 3:10 AM

The pic at r10 is how I imagine every happy ElderLez couple looks like

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2022 12:17 AM

Saw it this afternoon...a truly excellent movie with heart, jokes, fabulous costumes, great acting, as well as fantastic special effects and fight scenes. Ke Huy Quan was mesmerizing, I couldn't take my eyes off of him whenever he was onscreen. I hope he continues working, he is a really talented actor.

It was a little hard to follow at points, and about 20 minutes too long but it went by a lot faster than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2022 9:36 PM

Oh, and he plays her husband not her son.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2022 9:37 PM

This is perhaps one of the most gay-friendly straight films I have ever seen.

And it would still be amazing if it wasn't.

DLers, YOU MUST SEE THIS FILM, especially if you like action films.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2022 11:56 AM

Is it a theater only release?

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2022 12:04 PM

Yes, R19. For now.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2022 1:55 PM

Bummer. I'm not quite ready to return to the theaters. Hopefully I'll remember to look out for it when it streams.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2022 1:59 PM

I think it's in a limited release right now and goes wide on April 8th. It's only playing at Lincoln Center in NYC for now.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2022 6:19 PM

More people need to see this movie.

by Anonymousreply 23April 9, 2022 8:07 AM

Its amazing.

by Anonymousreply 24April 9, 2022 8:22 AM

It's showing in my local theater and I'm going to make this my return to cinema movie. I want to see it tomorrow but a friend wants to go during the week. Either way, I'm looking forward to this movie.

I knew Quan as a kid, his younger brother was a classmate. Indiana Jones came to my school to cast the Short Round role and he won the lottery.

by Anonymousreply 25April 9, 2022 12:04 PM

I’m glad to have him back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 11, 2022 3:05 AM

Honestly one of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Fun, smart, inventive, and deeply emotional. It's definitely one to see in the theatre - the crowd reaction was half the fun.

I really want to see this get award attention next year. It's better than any of the Oscar nominated films I've seen since 2019.

by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2022 4:57 AM

And I say that as somebody who genuinely doesn't care for action movies.

If you don't hear up at the end, you’re made of stone.

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2022 4:59 AM

Saw it today. Well worth a trip to the cinema. Slightly too long but it wrapped up well. I thought I was going to have watch it again to get it but really the most important theme comes across quite easily at the end.

tldr: it's a trip

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2022 11:41 PM

I couldn't put my finger on it when I saw the trailer, but I knew that dude from Goonies looked and sounded familiar. I'll likely watch it soon, but I've heard some mixed review on it thus far (but largely praise) - in all fairness though A24 movies aren't for everyone's tastes. It's just that some Youtube reviewers were noting that there were a few people walking out on it within 15 minutes or so of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 30April 17, 2022 12:06 AM

I saw a couple of people walk out and it wasn't a big crowd to begin with. I didn't note if they returned. My friend walked out but returned after a nature call.

by Anonymousreply 31April 17, 2022 2:15 AM

Thought this was one of the best movies I gave seen in a long time. I would definitely recommend seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 32April 17, 2022 1:35 PM

Oh fuck. The shilling is so naked.

The Variety review sums it up well. Style over substance and "a novel idea driven the point of exhaustion."

However the relentlous assault will appeal to video game rats, who have the attention span of a mosquito.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 17, 2022 1:49 PM

DIAGF, R33.

It has 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 17, 2022 2:34 PM

I saw it last night- I liked it a lot though this pop culture obsession with the "metaverse" is boring (yes, I am old). Michelle Yeoh is a surprisingly great actress- I knew she had charisma from her martial arts movies, but she is very multilayered in this. Not only that, but how many action movies are there with TWO leading female stars in their 60s?

We here on DL should be talking about how queer this movie is. Not only in the main storyline, but a highlight for me was the martial arts battle for a butt plug (two of them that are actively in use!) as a conduit to an alternate reality!

by Anonymousreply 35April 17, 2022 2:48 PM

I meant multiverse, not metaverse...

by Anonymousreply 36April 17, 2022 2:53 PM

[quote]I meant multiverse, not metaverse...

They're both wearisome and in need of retirement.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2022 11:47 AM

More Michelle and Jamie Lee, pls!

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2022 11:55 AM

Huh, Hollywood was wrong, people WILL go see a film with 2 women in their 60s, who haven't fucked their faces with fillers, as stars.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2022 1:13 PM

i'm glad for that

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2022 1:18 PM

I saw this yesterday and I’m glad I did. It’s enjoyable from start to end and I love Michelle and Jamie Lee.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2022 1:40 PM

I saw it last week, and it was amazing. It manages to be funny, grotesque, touching and scary all at once.

Michelle Yeoh, hermaphrodite Jamie Lee Curtis and that kid from the Indiana Jones all did a stellar job.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2022 1:49 PM

Christ, I couldn't even make it through the trailer, it's so juvenile.

If you want mind-bending sci-fi without all the "action hero" bullshit, I highly recommend "Severance."

by Anonymousreply 43April 19, 2022 2:05 PM

I saw it and enjoyed it. Michelle Yeoh is always kick-ass. I totally didn't recognize Jamie Lee Curtis in this!

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2022 2:08 PM

I am totally confused, is this part of the Marvel multiverse franchise? There's a racoon in a cage singing along to the David Bowie song, isn't that Guardians of the Galaxy stuff?

by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2022 2:14 PM

"Severance" is on Apple+, so it might as well not exist to anyone not sucked into the Cult Of All Things Apple.

by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2022 2:54 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake -- I'm an old lesbian and even I know the free streaming sites various posters have listed on DL. Get with the program, son!

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2022 6:28 PM

I love a night out with the gals

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2022 11:54 AM

R44 I didn't recognize Jamie Lee Curtis either at first, she was great I don't think I can look at hot dogs anymore with a straight face. Everyone turned in a great performance my only complaint is it was a bit long. Loved the concept of the multiverse.

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2022 11:35 AM

I loved it. It was this amazing mix of the stupid and the profound. I can't say enough good things about it. One of the best movies I've seen in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 50May 8, 2022 12:10 PM

I’ve seen it in the theater twice.

A truly wonderful movie.

by Anonymousreply 51May 14, 2022 6:45 AM

I was not blown away by the movie. I thought it was long and overrated. I found the conflict between the mother and daughter to be shallow. Therefore, the ending rang hollow for me.

by Anonymousreply 52May 14, 2022 7:36 AM

I did not enjoy Heath Ledger in his role as Jobu.

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2022 12:41 AM

Wow. What a bunch of tiresome nonsense. I gave up after an hour and twenty. No idea what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2022 10:33 PM

The performances were wonderful! The movie itself was sophomoric, sentimental dreck.

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2022 10:48 PM

It's creative and has its moments, but why was it so long? Movies like this really don't need to be so long. I thought for sure it was wrapping up around an hour and 45 minutes in and then it kept going for nearly another hour. Loved seeing Jamie Lee Curtis playing an odd character like that.

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2022 10:57 PM

I confess shamefacedly that I didn’t know JLC was in this and I thought I was watching a transwoman.

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2022 12:28 PM

My tolerance for sentimentality is low to the point of being autistic, but I found it deeply, profoundly moving.

It has more wit and heart than an entire MCU phase.

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2022 8:08 PM

Great movie, a bit too fast and a tad too long, but the ending moved me to tears. I wish I could see it in theatre though.

Highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2022 8:15 PM

Funnier than MTM

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2022 9:04 PM

Oh damn. I finally saw this today. Can we just give Michelle Yeoh and Short Round the Oscars now? She’s wonderful, always has been. But he blew me away. There were several times where it was him that almost made me cry.

And I’ll never look at a bagel or a hotdog the same way again. Brilliant movie.

by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2022 4:12 AM

I have seen it twice and it is one great movie. Too long? Maybe but it is perfection. I do not think I have ever seen such an inventive movie. the editing must have been hell but it all works so well. The sequence where Hsu steps out of the elevator is pure magic. I hope both Yeoh and Hsu get the Oscar because they deserve it. And....this is the DL. Can we talk about the didos, butt plugs, fingers as penises?

by Anonymousreply 62June 17, 2022 4:08 PM

Michelle Yeoh is a movie star?

by Anonymousreply 63June 17, 2022 4:16 PM

[quote]Can we talk about the didos, butt plugs, fingers as penises?

Yes. It was adolescent Family Guy-level humor completely lacking in wit, rhyme, or reason.

by Anonymousreply 64June 17, 2022 4:18 PM

unwatchable. I lost interest 15 minutes in.

by Anonymousreply 65June 17, 2022 4:21 PM

R65, YOU'RE unwatchable.

You're also in a very tiny minority. The movie is exceptional and excellent.

by Anonymousreply 66June 17, 2022 6:56 PM

Awesome movie. Still in top 10 at the box office, in its 14th weekend. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 67June 28, 2022 5:55 PM

Joyce Carol Oates:

[quote]Though it sounded intriguing in reviews "Everything Everywhere All at Once" is possibly the most tedious film I have ever seen. a few banal ideas recycled mercilessly, not absurd so much as silly, overloud, poorly executed, might still be playing, we'd bailed out after 2 hours.

[quote]likely to be the worst pretentious film you will ever see, though there are, arguably, worse movies over all. my friend had to think for some minutes to recall "The Giant Claw," a horror film of the 1950s, which was "the worst."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 28, 2022 8:46 PM

I loved it at night

by Anonymousreply 69June 28, 2022 10:37 PM

I finally saw this and enjoyed it.

R68, Joyce Carol Oates would know a thing or two about tediousness. The woman desperately needs a Twitter intervention.

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2022 3:01 AM

As I recall her Blonde packed about 45 minutes of story into a 4-hour miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2022 9:23 PM

r33, wasn't that the Wizard of Oz?

[quote]I loved it. It was this amazing mix of the stupid and the profound. I can't say enough good things about it. One of the best movies I've seen in the last few years.

Totally agree. Michelle Yeoh is the best actress in THIS universe.

The conversation of the rocks was brilliant.

The supreme bagel with everything, mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 72July 28, 2022 5:31 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 73July 28, 2022 5:40 PM

I didn’t get it.

Sorry 🫤

It was too long and I honestly dozed off then lost the thread completely.

Good thing I didn’t pay to see it.

by Anonymousreply 74July 28, 2022 5:46 PM

Jamie Lee Curtis deserves a supporting actress nomination, if not the award itself. She's long overdue, having been snubbed for Trading Places, Fish Called Wanda, True Lies, Freaky Friday and Halloween 2018.

It's a fantastic actor reinvention and a true performance alongside Linda Hunt in Year of Living Dangerously and Joel Grey in Remo Williams.

by Anonymousreply 75July 28, 2022 5:47 PM

Watched this film last night and it was WILD. So unique and original, blending sci-if, martial arts and comedy, all the while remaining a family drama at its core. The film had me in stitches at points, while also being profound and moving. Michelle Yeoh was incredible and very relatable with all that she was struggling with: financial woes, caring for an elderly parent, marriage struggles, connecting with her kids, etc. I really hope that she is remembered come Oscar time, as well as the actor who played her husband for supporting. Who do we think is more likely to get in the best supporting actress race, Jamie Lee Curtis or the actress playing the daughter?

I really think this film is more than deserving for noms for Best Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Editing, and Visual Effects. I really hope that it’s spring release doesn’t hurt it’s Oscar chances. Will the Academy recognize this film?

by Anonymousreply 76August 13, 2022 9:54 PM

It was fucking awful. Dog shit in fact, but it did look that part.

by Anonymousreply 77August 13, 2022 10:01 PM

R77 has terrible taste in movies.

It was excellent in every way.

by Anonymousreply 78August 13, 2022 10:29 PM

r76 is spot on. It is a complex movie, so good on so many levels.

If that Korean basement movie...

by Anonymousreply 79August 13, 2022 11:46 PM

R76

by Anonymousreply 80August 14, 2022 12:28 AM

I fell asleep. But enjoyed my self very much

by Anonymousreply 81August 15, 2022 6:44 AM

Stephanie Hsu was MVP

by Anonymousreply 82November 3, 2022 5:20 AM

I appreciated what it was trying to do and it did move me at times but it still gave me a headache to watch. 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

by Anonymousreply 83November 3, 2022 5:21 AM

Michelle Yeoh was good but I was kinda expecting more from her since so many people are rooting for her to win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 84November 3, 2022 5:22 AM

Watched the first half hour and got dizzy. Too much Matrix redux. Bailed.

by Anonymousreply 85November 3, 2022 7:08 AM

(rolling eyes at the little hot-house flower at R85... just pathetic)

by Anonymousreply 86November 3, 2022 2:50 PM

Short Round is amazing. Second only to Kate Capshaw's phenomenal performance in Temple of Doom.

by Anonymousreply 87November 3, 2022 2:54 PM

I recently re-watched it and it is just a great, fun and, ultimately, very touching movie. I love it. I hope it wins all the awards.

by Anonymousreply 88November 3, 2022 3:01 PM

[quote]Second only to Kate Capshaw's phenomenal performance in Temple of Doom.

I really hope you're jesting.

by Anonymousreply 89November 3, 2022 5:56 PM

"Everything Everywhere All At Once" is A LOT, but very good nonetheless. The always great Michelle Yeoh is great in. The standout is the ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE Ke Huy Quan (of "The Goonies" and "Temple Of Doom") who was fantastic as her husband Waymond. I absolutely have a crush on him now.

Bonus points to the directors for casting living legend James Hong. He's just as much a badass as he ever was, and I'm thrilled to see him continue to work into his nineties.

by Anonymousreply 90November 3, 2022 8:40 PM

This movie was just a whole lot of fun. Which is so rare these days. But you really had to pay close attention, which I liked. However I was watching it with Brother and his wife, and his wife likes to talk and ask questions during movies. Me and my brother were so engrossed by the film that we ignored her questions and she finally got up and left,

by Anonymousreply 91November 3, 2022 9:14 PM

I want to add that I kept thinking about how this film would've been an ideal project for the late Academy Award-Winning costume designer Eiko Ishioka. It's a shame she wasn't around to do it.

by Anonymousreply 92November 3, 2022 9:25 PM

I hold on to life, just a great quote

by Anonymousreply 93November 4, 2022 12:09 AM

All the performances are spot on. Stephanie Hsu, when she appears coming out of the elevator and delivers that monologue, is pure gold. I have seen it three times and I realize that the movie should not work as well as it does but, miraculously, it does. And it gets me every damn time.

by Anonymousreply 94November 4, 2022 10:18 AM

Now on Showtime and Paramount+

Ke Huy Quan just won The New York Film Critics Circle Award-Best Supporting Actor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 5, 2022 2:10 AM

It'll get Oscar noms. Whether it will win any is unclear.

Daniel Scheinert is a local boy. Know lots of people who know him. I loved his last film, The Death of Dick Long which would be DL gold if more people had seen it.

by Anonymousreply 96December 5, 2022 2:31 AM

I finally got around to watching it on Prime last night. I initially balked at the long time, but I ended up sitting through the entire thing, even needing a pee by a certain point. I liked it, and I am not the audience for a movie like this generally. I think the humour helped a lot. It was slightly too long and some bits I felt I didn't quite understand, but overall I was really glad I watched it. As someone said above, it's a very gay-friendly movie and in a good way; in that while it's not the whole point of the movie, it's not a throwaway or "look how good we are including this" type thing either.

I did get a bit teary at the end too. Eh, always stuff with parents and children, huh?

by Anonymousreply 97December 23, 2022 2:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!