Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Met a Chinese Surgeon Married to an American Lawyer

I met a very nice gay couple this weekend. Both were 30ish.

One was a Chinese surgeon. The other was an American big firm lawyer. Both were pretty quiet and low-key. I got the impression they were out of touch with most of society and made too much money.

Anyways, I got to talking and asked them bout the cultural differences. The surgeon smiled and said "well, he was not like most Americas."

That is a big slap in the face to Americans lol

by Anonymousreply 57December 15, 2021 3:26 PM

You see that exact sentiment among wealthy people constantly. Totally not prejudice, though.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2021 3:14 PM

Speaking truth to asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2021 3:14 PM

R1 and R2 what do you both mean?

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2021 3:20 PM

How exciting for you.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2021 3:24 PM

He probably insists on doing the laundry!

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2021 3:30 PM

Defacto thread

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2021 3:33 PM

Are there any other interracial or intercultural relationships on DL?

Did you find your partner "not like other X?"

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2021 3:38 PM

Well, the Chinese guy probably knows "anyways" is not a word.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote]Anyways, I got to talking and asked them bout the cultural differences. The surgeon smiled and said "well, he was not like most Americas."

Oh, many dears. Probably they didn't want to communicate with you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2021 3:48 PM

Americans are always blissfully unaware that they are not universally beloved.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2021 3:49 PM

R7 No, thinking that someone is tolerable because they don't fit your negative stereotypes about their group and they're "one of the good ones" is indicative of prejudice.

I'm surprised they can maintain a relationship, although wealthy people often don't date or marry for love. God knows, the American husband is probably delusional and identifies as being essentially European or something like a lot of rich deluded Americans do.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2021 3:52 PM

OP Ouch that really stung me. I am going back to bed.

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2021 4:00 PM

Jesus, are we going to get inundated now with troll threads about Asian vs Western gays? This is the second one this morning!

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2021 4:00 PM

R11 Idk. This American seemed very worldly. He talked a lot about opera/classical music, classic literature, foreign affairs, and scotch. I kind of wanted to date him lol

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2021 4:01 PM

[quote] “he was not like most Americans."

Secret keywords that he’s uncut, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2021 4:02 PM

Can't parse this gibberish. Sometimes it's helpful to run these things through a grammar checker before posting, OP. They are free and can save you the embarrassment that you should be feeling right now, but can't.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2021 4:07 PM

R14 Sounds very typical for well educated Americans from wealthy backgrounds. Was he thin?

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2021 4:13 PM

R17 thin, but can tell he enjoys pasta . He mentions he jogs everyday.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2021 4:16 PM

[quote] thinking that someone is tolerable because they don't fit your negative stereotypes about their group and they're "one of the good ones" is indicative of prejudice.

If he’s married to one if ‘those people,’ then he’s not THAT prejudiced. It’s perfectly valid to dislike characteristics typical of a group.

I find a LOT of Americans to be the sort of people i wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire; around here, we call them MAGAts. Given how noisy they are, it would be easy to assume most Americans are like that if you’ve never met any.

Even without them, American ‘characteristics’ tend towards loud, extroverted, and ignorant of or disrespectful towards other cultures. The ‘ugly American’ stereotype didn’t come from nowhere.

You’re not like that? Neither am i (i hope), but people don’t base their judgements on a survey of every member of that nation/group. I think you’re overthinking this.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2021 4:16 PM

Yes, your remarks are very much 'lol'-worthy, Miss OP. Quite hilarious.

And don't hold your breath waiting for the American half of the couple to call you to ask for a date.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2021 4:17 PM

What would be the lesbian counterpart?

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2021 4:25 PM

R19 Prejudice! You consider yourself "one of the good ones" because you use your six inch voice while being an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2021 4:28 PM

If he dislikes Americans so much, he can always go back to where he came from.

You should have told him that.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2021 4:36 PM

Did you get his recipe for bat soup?

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote] If he dislikes Americans so much, he can always go back to where he came from. You should have told him that

Yes, he should have, thereby confirming for this guy that his husband is a diamond in a coal bin.

Nowhere in the reported conversation did the guy say ‘I don’t like Americans!’ You made all that up in your head.

You leaping to that conclusion and taking aggressive offense is probably EXACTLY the sort of behavior he’s seen, and disliked, among more ‘typical’ Americans. Congratulations! You’ve made his point for him.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2021 4:50 PM

He said that his husband was not scared to discuss taboo subjects or ask tough questions. And that his husband was always honest and upfront about things.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2021 4:54 PM

I can't get over the income these two must bring in.

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2021 6:14 PM

R26 They both sound fucking unbearable. The husband is 100% one of those craven, groveling upper class types who are repulsed by their own people.

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2021 6:17 PM

R28 what do you mean? elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2021 6:29 PM

In my experience, people of means are not necessarily out of touch with the rest of society. Rather, many wealthy people often have a difficult time understanding some of the seemingly bad decisions that people in lower socioeconomic groups make.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2021 6:40 PM

R30 what kind of decisions? Like fast food?

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2021 6:54 PM

I find it strange that they are identified as different because they are wealthy. I think their personality is more affected by their work than their money. Both have jobs that are likely all absorbing. Their lives are about work - which gives them no time to indulge in the trivia of average “normal” people life.

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2021 6:57 PM

Wtf is the point of this troll thread?

I'm American and I'm quiet and cultured. Big fucking deal.

Trumptards are not all Americans. It would be like me saying all Brits are horsey looking with bad teeth, full of ugly women wearing sensible walking shoes and tweed.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2021 7:09 PM

Well, if poor people knew how to spend money then they wouldn't be poor.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2021 7:19 PM

"I'm direct" = cover for being an unapologetic asshole

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2021 7:20 PM

OP what is your native language? Just curious

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2021 7:23 PM

pictures please

by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2021 7:26 PM

R36 German

R37 idk how to upload pictures on here

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote] [R19] Prejudice! You consider yourself "one of the good ones" because you use your six inch voice while being an asshole.

I have no idea what the fuck a ‘six inch voice’ is supposed to be, but I certainly do consider myself ‘one of the good ones,’ a case you’ll never be able to make for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2021 7:37 PM

When I think of good classy Americans, I think of James Ivory, Leontyne Price, Christopher Reeve, and Lauren Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2021 7:41 PM

"He was a Chinese surgeon"

Meaning he was trained in China and still practicing there?

Or he was Chinese-American and was trained and practiced in the US?

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2021 7:43 PM

R41 His family is from Shanghai and he went to medical school there. He came to US for last year of medical school. He had to take a few tests and he passed them. Zero debt.

by Anonymousreply 42December 13, 2021 7:45 PM

OP, since you seem fixated on stereotypes most of the world associates Germans with anti-semitism, Nazis and humorlessness.

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2021 7:46 PM

Who cares how much money they make , good for them. Their lives are jam packed everyday i imagine WORKING. tet them think whatever the fuck they want, its a free country.

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2021 7:49 PM

R44 I bet they never spend time together

by Anonymousreply 45December 13, 2021 8:24 PM

R39 It's an idiom meaning "to speak quietly" especially indoors. My self worth isn't measured in what Europeans think, hope they don't catch on to what a cunt you are.

by Anonymousreply 46December 13, 2021 9:59 PM

[quote] My self worth isn't measured in what Europeans think, hope they don't catch on to what a cunt you are.

Wow! You’re a comically pissy little bitch! I may be a ‘cunt,’ but i doubt your social calendar is packed, if it takes so little to set you off.

by Anonymousreply 47December 13, 2021 10:49 PM

They said their first date was a screening of The White Countess.

It is a beautiful Merchant-Ivory film with Ralph Fiennes, Natasha Richardson, Hiroyuki Sanada, Lynn Redgrave, John Wood, and Vanessa Redgrave. Written by Kazuo Ishiguro.

by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2021 3:34 AM

OP - In what context did you ask about cultural differences? How do cultural differences matter if they like each other? In what way is he different from other Americans? Was the surgeon implying that he married an Asian man? I have seen a lot of such couples so that is not unique. Is it because the combination shocked you? I also don't think just because someone goes to Opera, reads books, listens to classical music makes them any better than any other person who watches football. All that high-brow stuff is an acquired taste and just to remind you everyone breaths the same air. Anyway, I am even amazed that you would make a breathless post about the couple.

by Anonymousreply 49December 14, 2021 4:14 AM

OP is trolling you all, lol

by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2021 11:36 AM

R49 that's the thing, to people like them opera, classic leather bound books, etc are not "high-brow," it's just a way of life.

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2021 4:16 PM

What’s the point of this post, OP?

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote] The surgeon smiled and said "well, he was not like most Americas."

So the American is uncut.

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2021 4:38 PM

R53 I think he meant he wasn't fat or obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 54December 15, 2021 2:55 PM

Let me guess the household includes a Range Rover and an Audi.

The kitchen has a Wolf range

They both have profiles on Grindr. The Asian dude lists his ethnicity as "other"

by Anonymousreply 55December 15, 2021 3:08 PM

R55 lol I think an Range Rover and a BMW

I don't know what a wolf range is.

Probably not, they seemed madly in love with each other.

by Anonymousreply 56December 15, 2021 3:18 PM

They seem pretentious and insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 57December 15, 2021 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!