Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

IMHO, Teri Garr Was A Great Actress. I Wish Her Healing And Peace.

Teri Garr is best known for her role as Dustin Hoffman's neurotic girlfriend in the comedy hit 'Tootsie. ' Other notable roles include 'Young Frankenstein' and 'Mr. Mom.

"Every so often someone would mention MS, but then someone else would think it was something else." The symptoms came and went until finally, in 1999, Garr was officially diagnosed with MS. "It's a saga that is familiar to many other people with the disease," says Garr.“

She was diagnosed with MS at a young age.

Does anyone know how she is doing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 17, 2021 3:42 AM

This is so weird as I was just scrolling through here and thought about her. She was my dad’s number 1 celebrity crush.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2021 1:30 AM

R1 I loved her. I never had a crush, but I loved how neurotic her characters appeared.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2021 1:31 AM

Teri was good in everything she did. I forgot about Young Frankenstein until I saw it on TCM last week. Also, casting her as Lisa Kudrow's mother in Friends was great casting.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2021 1:37 AM

I know this is such a DL thing to say, but I thought circa early 2000s Teri Garr would've been perfect casting for a Vivian Vance biopic.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2021 1:49 AM

R4 I completely agree.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2021 1:50 AM

R1 - Did his choice if your mom as his partner predict his crush on Garr? If so good instincts.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2021 2:02 AM

She's adorable. Wish her nothing but the best.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2021 2:41 AM

According to our gossip threads, she is one of the cuntiest cunts that ever cunted.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2021 2:43 AM

R8 why?

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2021 2:45 AM

She wasn't known as mean! Or did I get sold the bill of goods by some '70s publicist?

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2021 2:46 AM

She was great in Close Encounters too.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2021 2:47 AM

She was the female lead on the first film I worked on. I was a lowly PA, but she was always kind.

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2021 3:00 AM

I thought she was so funny and loved her in Tootsie when I was growing up. She’s the kind of adult who appeals to kids because there’s nothing phony about her. R1, that makes me like your dad.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2021 3:04 AM

R12 what film? Any positive gossip about her?

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2021 3:04 AM

RIP Teri Garr.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2021 4:36 AM

R15 she died? Really?

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2021 5:15 AM

Terry is alive and kicking and is currently 73 years old.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2021 5:16 AM

Teri died in August of 2020. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2021 5:30 AM

R8 that troll was always so full of shit. Maybe he died. Love Terri.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2021 5:37 AM

R18 ff you POS. Stop starting rumors.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2021 5:39 AM

It was a boating accident on Lake Rousseau, R20. Only incidental to her ALS. Dan Levy was there. In a two piece bikini. He's such a hairy lady. Don't drink and drive boats DL. Not when your guest can't walk.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2021 5:43 AM

I absolutely loved her in Tootsie. I feel like her character made the movie.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2021 9:33 AM

I met her in the green room of the Letterman Show in the 90s. She was very gracious to me, a goggle-eyed, mid-western hick. She complemented my outfit (THRILL!) and patiently posed for pictures with my husband and me. One thing I noticed about her is that while she looked nice in real life, she transformed into a goddess in those photographs! Guess that is a requirement for stardom.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2021 9:57 AM

I read her autobiography, and she was sad and bitter at the end because of MS and because of financial issues. I can hardly blame her.

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2021 10:49 AM

R24 I had no idea she wrote an autobiography. I will have to read it.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2021 7:32 PM

R1 here. My dad always said she seemed like the whole package, gorgeous and funny and smart, in large part from her Letterman appearances. I’m glad to hear she was so gracious when you met her, R23. My dad died a few years ago but he would have loved that story!

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2021 9:01 PM

R26 I think a lot of men thought that, I know my dad loves her as well, he said she just seemed like a fun gal. Like the women they used to call broads.

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2021 10:51 PM

Teri Garr was far from gorgeous. She had droopy downturned eyes, a hooked nose and thin lips. But a girl with Nice Tits and a Bottle Blonde a lot of straight men will fuck. She was self deprecating too - which old fashioned men used to love. DL posters Dads were very OLD men. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2021 11:03 PM

OP/r17, she's way older than 73. Her public age is 77, which means she's even older.

These celebrities who lie about their age are shocking!

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2021 11:08 PM

Her time on the Sonny and Cher show wasn't happy.

Love her though and she may be in bad health but she's very much alive.

Great dancer btw. She's in a lot of stuff but check Nancy Sinatras' Boots video.

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2021 11:18 PM

[quote]THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS and aren't I wonderful to post this?

(I place Miss Garr in the past tense because she's not acting for me now, she's acting for me in past movies. I'm a stickler for my benefits.)

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2021 11:21 PM

If you missed her in the movie “Dick,” you need to rent it. Not only a great movie but it was one of her last big screen roles. She should have won the Academy Award for “Tootsie.” Sorry but Jessica Lang did not deserve it. She really wound for “Frances.” Garr’s performance in it was flawless.

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2021 11:22 PM

Teri Garr played herself in Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2021 11:24 PM

I loved her in After Hours - one of my favorite movies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2021 11:27 PM

[quote] Her time on the Sonny and Cher show wasn't happy.

I haven't read her book, what happened? Did she not get along with Sonny? I noticed she appeared on their married show, then went with Cher's solo show, and then back for their reunion show.

I would've thought Sonny would have tried to keep her for his show, since with Cher not there he would have needed a strong female presence to play off of.

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2021 11:28 PM

AMC was showing Mr. Mom recently...I was thinking of the same thing, how she was doing. She was in many movies in the 70s and early 80s...good movies. She was a regular guest on Letterman. I had the impression there was chemistry between Teri and Dave.

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2021 11:31 PM

One her first films - Pajama Party starring Tommy Kirk and Annette Funicello. She pops in at 0:38.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2021 11:32 PM

Some years back Terri Garr had a friend who lived in our building. I would occasionally see her in the lobby or in the elevator, and she was always pleasant and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2021 11:35 PM

She was a dancer in many Elvis films, I think they should've bumped her up in one of them. I have a feeling she and Elvis would've been a fun screen partnership, much like him and Ann-Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2021 11:36 PM

She did an interview 4 years ago for Australian TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2021 11:41 PM

She had the same cute blonde goofiness as a young Goldie Hawn in the early days.

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2021 11:48 PM

R33 I think you mean Jessica Lang played herself.

by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2021 12:01 AM

No, Jessica Lange played herself in Frances!💋

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2021 12:12 AM

She and Sandra Bernhard were my favourite female guests on Letterman. They ALWAYS delivered.

I love Teri and have posted videos of her Letterman interviews on Datalounge many times. She’s just a gem.

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2021 12:40 AM

LOVE her. It’s funny others saying their dads loved her, as mine did, too. I understood his crush on her, but I never got his affection for…Jennilee Harrison, of all people.

The only time I’ve read about Teri being cunty was from a story told here in one of those numerous threads by The Herbert Ross Troll, who told a story about Teri being an absolute cunt to him in an office meeting, or something like that. I don’t know if HRT is still around; I haven’t seen anyone talk about a celebrity having a “second act” or a “third act” in a while—always a “tell” that you’re dealing with HRT. His threads did have a bit of good dirt. I didn’t want to believe anything bad about Teri Garr, though.

by Anonymousreply 45December 14, 2021 12:59 AM

Anyone who thinks that Teri Garr is incapable of being a rude and condescending bitch - has never met her.

She never was particularly nice. Highly neurotic and high strung and never greatly focused. Second guessing everything she did from an acting choice to picking out a tomato at the grocers. Such people can come across as endearing and often funny - but they are not particularly sensitive to others or polite in everyday ways. Anxiety disorders command that people control situations and people. Teri Garr was excellent at cutting down anyone who got on her "nerves." Including a passerby. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2021 1:17 AM

apparently she's one of these dancers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2021 1:21 AM

I helped decorate her house for Christmas in both 1998 and 1999. Lovely woman who was just beginning to show signs of her MS at the time.

by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2021 1:32 AM

The Herbert Ross troll wasn't really that hard on her. Just said she was kind of unenthused when he said he liked her or something like that. He walked it back a bit after people didn't want to believe it.

She was auditioning for Steel Magnolias so she may have just been under pressure.

Can't really see what part she was up for, I guess Dolly's or Hannah's.

She has an intelligence about her that wouldn't have worked for Annelle. I guess she could have played Dolly's part but still a bit hard to picture.

by Anonymousreply 49December 14, 2021 2:53 AM

She returned to the Letterman show when he was ending it. It was a bit sad when she discussed her MS and that she also had a stroke. (there was some of the old Garr humor though as she said yeah, I just get everything!)

He was extremely nice to her. Credited her with his whole success. Said her appearances were so popular they got people to watch the show and put them on the map.

She didn't walk out though. She was already seated and he introduced her from there. Sad. She was so talented and funny. I wish she didn't suffer so much in her later years.

by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2021 2:59 AM

R49 yeah it really didn’t seem like that big a deal - and yet he was so upset because she didn’t fawn all over him. He was definitely projecting.

I mean maybe she’s nice maybe she’s not - but I didn’t take her behavior to him to be particularly cunty.

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2021 3:05 AM

What's a matter with people today? You can't say anything without getting a smart remark. I hear them talking about me in the coffee shop behind my back. So what? I make mistakes on the checks! Eight and a half percent tax is a bitch! Sue me!

(I memorized that when I was a kid from After Hours. I thought she was so funny. Oh and I was gay even then btw!)

Do you like The Monkees?

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2021 3:07 AM

R49 She could play ditzy and flighty, so I could see her in the Annelle role. That is the only role in the film that I have never liked. To me, as a native Southerner, all the others seemed true to life but Daryl Hannah came across like some hick from Raytown or Hooterville USA had wondering into Louisiana.

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2021 3:09 AM

true r53 maybe she could have.

I saw a stage version of the play and Annelle wasn't as shy and cowering as Hannah was. I think that was close to her own personality.

Anyone see the Broadway production with Delta Burke as Dolly and Lily Rabe as Annelle. How was Annelle in that or in the original off-Broadway production?

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2021 3:43 AM

This is her last Letterman interview, referenced above. She’s only 60 here.

How can you not love this woman? ❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 15, 2021 12:00 AM

R55 She was so brave walking out there, instead of starting the interview already seated. Letterman so often came across as smarmy and like he really didn't like some of his guests, but with her you could tell there was true affection.

by Anonymousreply 56December 15, 2021 12:28 AM

I was only 12 or 13, but I remember being CRUSHED when she didn’t win the Oscar for Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 57December 15, 2021 2:53 AM

She’s 77. She graduated high school in 1962 and was dancing in Elvis movies around that time. She’s close with Toni basil and they both came up together as dancers in the 60”s.

She was the pretty girl who wasn’t knockout beautiful but was the girl that was nice to everyone, I thinks that’s why so many straight guys liked her.

David O. Russell was a shit to her when she auditioned for I heart huckabees. He was pissed that she didn’t act like she did on the letterman show and kept asking her if she had MS (something she hadn’t gone public with yet).

The issues with the Sonny and Cher show were the producers wouldn’t give her a raise, but she stayed loyal to the show in all of its incarnations even after her career took off with young Frankenstein and the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 58December 15, 2021 3:51 AM

R55 exactly!

by Anonymousreply 59December 15, 2021 4:11 AM

oops I posted above about the Letterman appearance. Sorry I got it wrong. She did walk out on her own. That was very brave.

What was the David O. Russell Story? What movie? If Teri and Lily Tomlin hated him.......then so do I!

by Anonymousreply 60December 15, 2021 5:44 AM

I know her best as an all-time crossword puzzle clue. I'll have to watch Young Frankenstein soon, this discussion bumped it up my list.

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2021 6:00 AM

Young Frankenstein is one of the most funny movies of all time. Zany, but rooted in inspired performances by really inventive actors in a recognizable framework. It leaves you with that odd and happy feeling when a film comes together in a perfect kind of way. It's Mel Brooks - so no doubt it was more a happy accident. Teri Garr is standout funny in a minor take on a "sexy" role. She is about the tenth best reason to watch that movie. See it R61. You are guaranteed a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 62December 15, 2021 6:16 AM

I like some of his films (especially Flirting with Disaster) but isn't David O. Russell a notorious cunt? Apart from Lily (and I guess Teri) I'm pretty sure George Clooney got in a fistfight with him while making Three Kings because he was such an asshole to the crew.

I loved Teri in After Hours. All the actresses in that are so perfect.

by Anonymousreply 63December 15, 2021 6:27 AM

She was initially offered the Madeleine Kahn part in young Frankenstein because Kahn had turned it down after finishing blazing saddles and didn’t want to do another Mel brooks movie right away. However she changed her mind and decided to do the part. Mel told Teri if she could do an German accent the part of inga was hers. Brooks almost hired Farrah Fawcett for the part.

by Anonymousreply 64December 15, 2021 6:12 PM

R64 very interesting. I cannot even imagine Farrah Fawcett in the role. However, Farrah was the “it” girl back then so I can see why she was considered for the role.

by Anonymousreply 65December 16, 2021 4:30 AM

I think 1974 was before Farrah became the It girl wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2021 6:10 AM

It was r66. She did mostly commercials and tv guest spots like garr did back then. Teri”s German accent was inspired by Cher’s wigmaker on the sonny and Cher show.

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2021 6:15 AM

It must be a dad thing, she was one of my dad’s favorite actresses. I clicked on here because I swore she’d died, but I remember that was Valerie Perrine, one of his other faves. Don’t get him started on Sondra Locke though, she’s the antichrist for whatever reason.

I always liked Terri, I saw most of her ‘70s & ‘80s films because he was such a fan, & she was great in all of them.

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2021 7:15 AM

Charlie’s Angels premiered in 1976. Young Frankenstein came out a couple of years before that.

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2021 10:56 AM

Valerie Perrine didn't die.

by Anonymousreply 70December 17, 2021 2:40 AM

She was lovely in One From the Heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 17, 2021 2:43 AM

R71 I have never seen One From The Heart. I will have to find the watch the movie.

by Anonymousreply 72December 17, 2021 3:14 AM

The soundtrack is wonderful, r72.

by Anonymousreply 73December 17, 2021 3:21 AM

R70 I think I mistook her for Arlene Golonka

by Anonymousreply 74December 17, 2021 3:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!