Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Expanse Season Six: Series Finale

The first of the final six episodes drops today, December 10, 2020 on Amazon Prime. Will it all go out with a whimper of a bang?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 12, 2022 3:22 AM

Love, love. loved the first 5 series...been waiting for this one w. baited breath! Can't wait to dive in!! A hard recommend for anyone who loves sci-fi..& I'm a choosey cunt in this area.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2021 8:20 PM

Not what I was expecting for a first episode of a very short season, a slow reentry and reestablishing of characters and where they are at.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2021 2:48 PM

R1 here again, watched it, & I am majorly disappointed. Hope the boys will write a new series, Amazon fucked Episode 1 , for sure. Hope thye don't sink the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2021 7:51 PM

It jumped the shark when it started into a soap in space...

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2021 1:04 AM

R4 started to turn into...

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2021 1:08 AM

This week’s episode was EXCELLENT! The best of the season this far. Queen Avasarala and Bobbie are two of the baddest ass women that’s ever been on TV.

by Anonymousreply 6December 24, 2021 6:34 PM

[quote] The Expanse is awesome. Although Steven Strait appears to be dying this season and they still won’t give Amos a boyfriend.

That's from the Wheel of Time thread which is where I was going to post my reply but decided to find a proper thread. If this is the only The Expanse thread of Season 6 then yikes, 7 posts? No wonder they canceled the show.

I've had mixed feelings about The Expanse from the start but I just gave up on it this season. I was already totally pissed that in the universe with endless alien possibilities they decided to make a D level cult leader as the focal point of the show. I dislike the character and the most annoying teen son ever so much that I just don't want to see them one more time.

And the same goes with Naomi. Besides her being an extremely annoying character she just happens to have the said cult leader as an ex. Even for a scifi show this fantastical that's just too big of a plot hole for me to take. Some entertainment site recently had a poll about the character people most like in The Expanse and, not surprisingly at all, Naomi came in last. Drummer and Amos were at the top.

BTW I'm sure main events in the show come from the novels. I started reading the novels while watching Season 4, which is where the show actually started to go in the wrong direction in my eyes. I've been so slow about it that I only managed to reach Cibola Burn when Season 5 started, and that's obviously when the whole Marco Inaros saga in the show properly began. The whole Inaros plot line was so devastatingly off-putting that I couldn't even go on reading the novels any more because I knew that would be waiting me in the future.

I was sort of hoping Season 6 would rekindle my interest in that world but no. Alex gone, Naomi still being the know-it-all cunt and her ex the cult leader running everything I was like ok, this is enough. I watched half of the season premiere and canceled my Prime Video subscription. I'll probably finish the show at some point in a few years, or not. At the moment the show feels like a huge missed opportunity the showrunners just somehow managed to ruin. I know politics played a major part from the start but it seems in the end I just couldn't stomach how big the part really was. Oh well. There are so many great shows coming out all the time that it's easy to just say no to things you don't enjoy watching.

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2021 10:58 AM

They let Amos get fat! Also Steven Strait is playing this season like a dying AIDS patient. Hate the ridiculous Marcus Inaro storyline. Whi gives a fuck, show us some alien shit! It was fun when they were tracking that protoplasm bullshit and then brought back the ghost to guide Steven Strait, but this soap opera crap has stopped the momentum of the show.

by Anonymousreply 8December 26, 2021 11:05 AM

The female characters are all such caricatures if you think about it, even though they are hyped as strong female characters. Too much focus on them to the point that world changing events seem to revolve around them Once Holden and Naomi got together, it was like he gradually became the extra in her drama. Maybe the writers wrote themselves into the corner with the mystery of the protomolecule and the aliens behind it because they only gave some teasers but never really elaborated further. Instead, we got standard space opera of deteriorating quality.

by Anonymousreply 9December 26, 2021 12:09 PM

[quote]Also Steven Strait is playing this season like a dying AIDS patient.

True. He has become more gaunt with each season. It's as if Naomi is sucking the life force out of Holden!

by Anonymousreply 10December 26, 2021 12:13 PM

Sad how the writers or whoever f...kd. over this great set of books. Now if you REALLY want to see even more Travesty check out Wheel of Time on Amazon. Talk about a botched abortion! Who is advising Bezos or whoever at Amazon? Fail after fail as they pander to whoever.

Jeff, Booby follow the $$$. You also might learn to read the room. Wokeanzing existing works that people are familiar with isn't working for your audience anymore. Jeff & Co..: Try selling these rehashes to some group who might lap up this stale diarrhea that seems to be exploding for your bloated anus.

Trying to configure what to adopt for streaming instead. Netflix has consistently disappointed as well.

by Anonymousreply 11December 26, 2021 2:01 PM

R11, Wheel of Time is produced partly by Sony Pictures Television, which makes the low quality even more mind-boggling. No idea what's the level of their involvement but however minor they should know better what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 12December 26, 2021 5:53 PM

Yas keeen. I’ve never seen this. The OP’s image looks like Prometheus.

by Anonymousreply 13December 26, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote] Sad how the writers or whoever f...kd. over this great set of books.

Is Marco Inaros storyline as annoying and his involvement with Naomi as unbelievable in the novels as they're in the show? I'd love to finish the book series, I'm currently reading Cibola Burn, but like I wrote in R7 I'm scared to continue reading because the whole Inaros thing annoys the fuck out of me in the show. He and his brat are the main reasons I stopped watching it.

by Anonymousreply 14December 26, 2021 5:59 PM

I wish Holden had let Bobbie blow up Inaros ship. Inaros is campy as fuck but that son annoys me to no end. What an idiot!

by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2021 6:18 PM

I'm not a great writer, so have no clue..But how tempting is the money, so you to let someone mutilate your work? I guess I imagine a creation being highly personal, & so not fair game.

OK the books aren't War & Peace, but they are good & Season 6 is gross beyond words. How do you let someone do that? Are the powers that be on Amazon set on self destruct?

by Anonymousreply 16December 26, 2021 6:47 PM

The fucking women characters, except for the Supreme Commander of Earth and Environs, are poorly written, irritating, stupid and entitled.

Therefore they're too much like real life for science fiction.

James and Amos would be enough to keep me watching, but these fucking cunts ruin every scene. As do the cunt-adjacent characters of Mme. Marco and her pink-lipped son-murderer.

by Anonymousreply 17December 26, 2021 7:09 PM

R14 Yes, the whole Marcos plotline was stupid in the books, too. The show made it worse by focusing on Naomi's sob story even more than I recall in the books. Cibola Burns was the book where the writers started to indulge more in space politics than the protomolecule mystery, and the whole series devolved into boring human drama and space opera. Perhaps the writers ran out of creative juice.

by Anonymousreply 18December 26, 2021 7:32 PM

Syfy was right to cancel after all. The first two seasons were the best. The third was still holding up, but after that, the whole thing just fell apart!

by Anonymousreply 19December 26, 2021 7:36 PM

I so wanted to see Amos and the cute Asian botanist as lovers.

by Anonymousreply 20December 26, 2021 7:42 PM

What's with the 'Amos should've gotten a boyfriend' thing? I don't recall him ever having male lovers. In The Churn short story it was apparent his mother (or the woman he lived with as a kid) had pimped him as a small boy to older men, and when he grew up he started having sex with his mom. In the show he seemed gay friendly because he'd known and befriended hustlers but the only true gay encounter was with that asshole blind cameraman whose advances Amos turned down.

Am I missing gay events in his life?

by Anonymousreply 21December 26, 2021 8:17 PM

r21, For me, I saw amazing chemistry between Amos and Prax Meng. I just think the show runners should’ve ran with that.

by Anonymousreply 22December 26, 2021 10:25 PM

R22, alright, I totally get that. I'm not gonna lie, when the show started I wanked a few times imagining Amos fucking the hell out of Holden. For whatever reason I've always imagined Amos having a rather large cock, like close to 9", and when Holden accidentally catches Amos jacking off he gets all flustered and realizes he wants to touch it. And Amos goes with the flow. Now that's what I'd like to see instead of this Marco Inaros idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2021 12:03 AM

I just got up to speed on this show over Christmas. I am enjoying it, but Season 4 was almost unwatchable. I don't know if it was a budget thing or what (to spend the whole season at basically one location) but that was difficult.

I'm also glad I'm watching on an iPad where I can easily hit the FF button for 10 seconds, because as a lot of you noted, the dynamics with Naomi, her son, and Inaros are just annoying. They could be completely taken out and it wouldn't change the plot at all.

Disappointed that the protomolecule turned out to be just a McGuffin.

by Anonymousreply 24December 28, 2021 4:05 PM

Yeah Inaros is so campy. I guess we’re in the midst of the son’s redemption arc. If he wasn’t cute as hell, I’d want the character killed off ASAP.

At least we don’t have to listen to Strathairn’s awful belter accent these days, tho.

by Anonymousreply 25December 28, 2021 5:48 PM

Just watched Episode 4. OMG Does Amazon just say... OK last season we can save some $$$, How about that homeless guy down on 8th, can he write? Bet he'll do it for a bag of cheap weed. They didn't even bother with good make-up or lighting.. Poor Naomi looks like she has a 5o'clock shadow in lots of shots.

So Sad.

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2022 6:54 PM

R26 Naomi ruined the show, so whatever.

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2022 7:03 PM

I wonder if we are going to eventually have the repair alien consume and then excrete Steven Strait without his radiation sickness and smoker’s voice.

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2022 7:13 PM

I still haven’t watched Friday’s episode, I don’t want to see that damn dog creature on Laconia, don’t know why they had to add that stupid storyline, yet everything else is shortened and stilted.

by Anonymousreply 29January 2, 2022 8:26 PM

Still think its Bezos needing to economize. The last season of Bosch was the same bargain basement all the way.

That 'girlfriend' bimbette of Bezos must have so much rock solid shit on him, with hard copy receipts. She must be draining money out of him like a beer tap. Why else is Amazon economizing on their series, with so many people griping about it.?

by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2022 2:22 AM

I am just wondering when my boo Shohreh can get another great film role?

by Anonymousreply 31January 3, 2022 2:53 AM

God, that woman can carry a costume!! Makes anyone, everyone pea green. Loved Amos always asking what was she wearing. Who cares about the danger or anything else, just what was she wearing. Wowza!

by Anonymousreply 32January 3, 2022 2:58 AM

Well, that went out with a whimper and not a bang. And if anyone can explain the need for that whole Laconia storyline and the weird dogs and dead child, I love to hear what that was supposed to be about and why it was included at all?

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2022 11:10 AM

[quote]And if anyone can explain the need for that whole Laconia storyline and the weird dogs and dead child, I love to hear what that was supposed to be about and why it was included at all?

Potential spinoff.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2022 11:59 AM

Things got a little saccharine at the end. That shit eating grin from Avasarala definitely felt out of character.

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2022 5:20 PM

[quote] I just think the show runners should’ve ran with that.

Should have RUN with that. What is up with this constant misuse of "ran" instead of the proper "run"? Why the double-past-tense? UGH. This is my current most annoying grammar pet peeve. STOP THIS SHIT. It's RUN not RAN.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2022 6:45 PM

I prefer the ron, ron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2022 6:48 PM

R33, that "Strange Dogs" plot line isn't even in the main books. It's from one of the adjacent novellas that came out AFTER Book 6, and set up the events of Books 7-9. The ONLY reason to include it is if they're actually going to continue and adapt the last 3 books in the series at some point.

But there's a 30 year time jump between books 6 and 7... so if they're not going to adapt immediately, it STILL doesn't make sense to include the storyline, because that little boy NEVER AGES, and is the same 30+ years from the time he was "fixed". They're going to have to recast him completely anyway. Yeesh.

It was time wasted in a season where the rest of the story was so damn rushed it sometimes felt like watching cliff's notes.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2022 6:49 PM

There were a number of times that I blinked and seemed to miss something important because they were flying through stuff so quickly. And that footage of Amos and the Martian soldier at the mounted gun looked liked repurposed video game footage. Overall, much of the season looked very cheap and flimsy, like they made a decision to just repurpose sets and props they already had and not make anything new. And those child actors were atrocious. When they looked at that footage in post production they should have just scraped it, and those dog faces looked obscene sexually.

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2022 7:01 PM

I guess they cut the budget and killed the series. It’s a shame. We could’ve gotten episodes of mostly closure for main characters, but nope. All of a sudden, there’s a big battle and that’s it.

Also, have they had any actual gays on since the old ambassador? Nothing for Amos or even Filip and his cute little worker buddy.

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2022 7:13 PM

I wanted to see a romance between Amos and his hot single father Asian friend.

Personally I would’ve been okay if Filip had died with his crazy ass mascara wearing father but could’ve shown the reunion with his mother Naomi.

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2022 7:16 PM

There was closure for most of the main characters.

The closure for the alien protomolecule creators, and the beyond-our-universe "entities" that destroyed them doesn't happen until the 9th book, which we're unlikely to see any time soon.

And yeah, it really did seem like the budget was slashed for this final season. It would have been much better paced at 8 episodes or 10 episodes I think.

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2022 7:17 PM

R41, the reunion with his mom doesn't happen until MUCH later. It wouldn't have worked in this season.

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2022 7:18 PM

Talk about a buzz-kill. I was beginning to hate Bezos a smidgen less between him lovin' the books & resurrecting the series w. a good budget & sending Kirk into space. Now season 6. If its because Gold digger girlfriend & brother have a strangle hold on his cash due to some hard copy receipts of him doing ultra nasty, I can be a bit less hate-filled. However if its just cheese rind paring due to excessive greed, back to my hatred like the heat thousand suns. Jeffee don't mess w. my sci-fi, Just don't

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2022 8:14 PM

The older Iranian lady was such a horrible actress I had to laugh whenever she came on screen. She could barely remember (?) and/or pronounce her lines. It really dragged down the show. Love her voice though.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2022 8:45 PM

r45, you’re an idiot! Shohreh Aghdashloo is an excellent actress and the most popular character in the show. Avasarala was a QUEEN!

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2022 8:48 PM

But loved the costumes. Bi ch could sowear the he--outa what ever they put her in. I'm with team Amos, as he would say. Not caring about what she had to say, "Right, but, What was she wearing?"

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2022 8:50 PM

That ending! Bobby is getting sprayed with bullets and her glass is cracking. Next scene - She has a band aid on. Riiiight. Meanwhile all around her, people are getting shredded into gumbo because of the same bullets.

AND WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DID THEY LET AMOS GET FAT?????

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2022 9:48 PM

R48, you realize she had a special premium suit, right? She was mostly bullet-proof.

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2022 1:32 AM

But only she had the suit? Was there only 1? All her compadres were just cannon fodder?

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2022 11:18 AM

R50 Hers comes from Martian technology, I think it’s all explained the first time you are introduced to her in the whole series. I’m assuming it was supposed to be like a bookend thing.

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2022 11:20 AM

I saw Shohreh on stage in London a couple years ago and she was a brilliant actress.

This show was her exercising her camp muscles but she did it fantastically. Not a lot of actresses have that regal gravitas she radiates. I honestly think she was the main thing keeping me watching. I am getting sick of these series endings that are just an unnecessary huge battle. I'd rather see the characters wrapping their lives up.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2022 11:34 AM

If the role of Chrisjen Avasarala was not written for Shohreh Agadashloo it should have been. Best combination of role/actress I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2022 12:01 PM

It really wasn't written for her, and when I started reading the books, I had a very different take on the character.

But she came in an OWNED the role.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2022 1:53 AM

The sixth season was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2022 2:31 AM

I just watched all six seasons and found the last one to be easily as great as the others.

Especially liked how Filip seemed to look like Naomi in this season.

I will miss this series.

by Anonymousreply 56February 5, 2022 10:25 PM

GOD I MISS THIS SHOW

by Anonymousreply 57November 12, 2022 3:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!