Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do Gays Take Their Spouse’s Surname When They Marry?

Is that a common thing that people do?

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2022 5:47 PM

I think that's really subjective. I know couples who each person kept their names; I've also known couples who used a hyphenated or double last name.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2021 5:23 PM

We kept our own last names, but there I times why my husband decides we should have the same last name. I will never change mine - especially to my husband's since no one will be able to pronounce it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2021 5:26 PM

If you hyphenate it, how do you decide whose goes first?

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2021 5:30 PM

R3, the Top's last name goes first.

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2021 5:32 PM

My partner and I are getting married next year. We're keeping our surnames as they are. No name changes for us. We're both professionals and are known by our current names. Plus I think it's antiquated to take someone else's last name.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2021 5:52 PM

Do you really have to ask, you peasant op?

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2021 6:15 PM

I think people who still do that are doing it more for attention. There's no real point.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2021 6:16 PM

Some do.

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2021 6:20 PM

We retain our names. Married for 50 yrs in January. I think would be a nice gesture. I wouldn't change mine because it is difficult to pronounce. His family has never been supportive. My family likes him more than they like me! I don't care enough to ask.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2021 6:40 PM

My husband and I took each other’s names. Mine is our middle name and his is our last name. I am so proud to have this.

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2022 6:49 AM

Eldergay, we have remarkably similar stories. Our 50th was NYE. Fifty years! I congratulate you and send our warmest happy anniversary, guys.

What more of your story can you share?

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2022 6:53 AM

R11...Lots of great stories...Not for this thread. Thanks for the kind words. 1972 was a good year.

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2022 5:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!