Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

These Old Broads (2001)

An all-star cast consisting of Debbie Reynolds, Shirley MacLaine, Joan Collins and Elizabeth Taylor in one of her final roles. With a script by Carrie Fisher!

After a re-release of their 60's movie hit "Boy Crazy" becomes a smash, three actresses, Piper Grayson (Debbie Reynolds), Kate Westbourne (Shirley MacLaine), and Addie Holden (Dame Joan Collins), reunite for a reunion show, with help from Kate's son Wesley (Jonathan Silverman) and their manager, Beryl Mason (Dame Elizabeth Taylor). The problem? The three actresses and their manager all loathe each other.

Is anyone else a fan? This was a tv movie when it originally aired but I just saw that you can watch it for free on Prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 7:20 PM

Never heard of it. This must have bombed hard when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2021 1:56 PM

OP- The queens who post on dl are ALL Old Broads.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2021 1:59 PM

It's...okay. See it once to say you've seen it. Taylor was funny, but seemed out of it. The film famously brought Taylor and Reynolds together to clear up their business surrounding ex-husband EddieFisher (even if it was in character).

Joan Collins didn't belong in the film. She's not on that level, and never was (even if she WAS lined up to replace Taylor in "Cleopatra"). But she does alright, and endures slights about her (character's) plastic surgery, and over-the-top demands.

It's not something I would watch again. But it isn't terrible.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2021 2:11 PM

How many times do they end up piled on the floor? Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2021 2:20 PM

Never seen it but would like to. Colin's is an interesting addition shall we say?

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2021 2:29 PM

The finale musical production number took sixteen hours to film. According to TV Guide, Shirley MacLaine became annoyed by a buzzing sound, left, and refused to return to the set. Eventually she did return to rehearse and soon tripped on the steps and fell. Cast and crew members rushed to her side, except for Dame Joan Collins, who took the break as an opportunity to check her make-up.

from IMDB

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2021 4:17 PM

Meh. The writing didn’t live up to the potential of the idea.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2021 5:06 PM

This needs a remake. Who would star? Every one s growing old so fast.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2021 7:55 PM

Omg Joan is a Dame? The Queen must've needed a bath after meeting her, the original Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2021 7:58 PM

A friend was an extra (he actually uses the term “background artist” 🙄) on These Old Broads and he had nothing good to say about Joan Collins. Including that her wig stank.

Debbie and Liz were lovely. He didn’t meet Carrie or Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2021 9:18 PM

R8, Jaclyn Smith, Donna Mills, Suzanne Sommers, Linda Evans & Michelle Lee.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2021 10:36 PM

Liz is awful in this, though, to be fair, the screenplay feels like it went straight into production in first draft stage and no rewrite ever happened to punch it up. . That said, why did Liz insist on doing that awful New York accent and why did no one tell her how fake she sounded?

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2021 11:02 PM

Nobody came off well in this production, especially ET. I think I read that pals Shirley and Carrie talked her into it. Also, the reason Collins seems out of place is because Lauren Bacall was originally cast, but bowed out at the last minute. Only good line I remember is when MacLaine snarks about Collins overdrawn lips. Collins replies, "At least I have them."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2021 11:14 PM

Side note: Collins was engaged to Shirley's brother Warren back in the day

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2021 11:32 PM

R12. Elizabeth Taylor was doing a Sue Mengers imitation in her role.

As for Joan Collins being outclassed by her costars, Taylor commented, “Well, Joan’s not, you know, a Movie Star.”

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2021 11:55 PM

joan sticks out like a sore thumb bacall would have been ideal

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2021 9:25 AM

I can smell the old lady pee through the screen.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2021 9:27 AM

june allyson is supposed to do a cameo in this but I can't spot her.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2021 10:07 AM

Elizabeth was practically immobile when this was made.

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2021 10:20 AM

R13, Bacall was nearly 10 years older than Elizaberh, Debbie and Shirley and looked it.

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2021 10:25 AM

Elizabeth was having severe health problems which affected her ability to remember lines. I don't recall her doing much in the film.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2021 10:30 AM

Joan certainly wasn't in the same league as her co-stars but she did look the best out of all of them. Taylor in decline was sad to see.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2021 10:33 AM

Joan Rivers would have been better than Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2021 3:18 PM

Anybody else remember Dressing Room Divas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2021 3:39 PM

It didn't come out until after Elizabeth had passed away, but after her brain tumor removal, she suffered a mild stroke a year or so later. Taylor's last years were a lot of physical suffering, but she never cried on the public's shoulder about it, unlike the social media star whores of today...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2021 12:17 AM

They should remake it with the Knots Landing ladies, Joan van Ark, Michele Lee, and Donna Mills. Maybe they could get Constance McCashin to be the fourth.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2021 12:43 AM

Debbie Reynold got her wig pulled off. Joan didn't want hers to get pulled off.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2021 3:53 AM

Bacall was nearly 10 years older than Elizaberh, Debbie and Shirley and looked it.

Bacall looked great in 2001, had more of her own hair than Joan and far, far better health, mobility, memory etc. than the near vegetative Taylor,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2021 5:51 AM

R28, Nice try, but no. I stood just a few feet away from her in late 1999 when she was in Boston for Waiting in the Wings previews.

Her hair was thin and like straw, her gait was unsteady and even after recent facial work, she looked every one of her 75 years and then some. She also had to be prompted three times during the play, so much for memory.

In a television movie where the rest of the cast were born in the 1930s as opposed to her 1924, the age difference would have been pronounced.

Yes, she looks good in your photo, after hours of styling.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2021 6:28 AM

R29 isn't that true of the rest of the cast of These Old Broads? Did you see the others in person?

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2021 6:36 AM

r29 fair enough, I stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2021 6:40 AM

It's awful. Collins is the only cast member who knows what a dumb movie she was in and had a little fun with it.

Considering she spent her later years in arthouse fare like Dogville and Birth, I have trouble picturing Lauren Bacall in this.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2021 7:03 AM

If they found a part for Pat Harrington, they could have found a part for me, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2021 7:11 AM

At least i would have added some fuckin FLAVA to the movie

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2021 11:34 AM

To be fair, Carrie Fisher co-wrote the script and was no doubt high as a kite the whole time. It was a decent for a TV movie, and people enjoyed seeing an ensemble cast of 50s/60s stars. Didn't Jonathan Silver's character come out at the end, or it was just implied he was gay?

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2021 12:51 PM

R35, Wasn't Carrie's main purpose to have Debbie and Elizabeth on record as putting the Eddie Fisher issue to rest?

Carrie had Elizabeth apologizing to Debbie for stealing "Freddy" away from her.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2021 1:02 PM

"she looks good in your photo, after hours of styling."

Well, you don't think actresses go ln-camera without hair and make-up, do you? They would have touched Bacall up, you know.

Jesus. You stood next to her. . .

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2021 11:58 PM

R36, you're correct that that was part of the motivation. I'd forgotten that part.

by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2021 8:59 AM

R35 His character is gay, which we don’t find out until the last 20 minutes in a bizarre roundabout way.

This is a terrible film, but is such a fever dream that I kind of love it. And gotta love that disco version of Get Happy that Debbie and Joan do.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 7:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!