Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where was the teen hangout spot in your town when you were growing up?

Every town has a spot.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 10:10 PM

Your dad's bedroom

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 6:44 PM

The only pizza shop in town. It had video games and seating for about 100.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 6:47 PM

1 - one of the locally run pizza shops, this one in a strip mall

2 - country clubs with swimming pools and big club houses with indoor courts and shit to do in winter

3 - smaller tennis clubs

4 - local dinky ski mountain - in Feb and March it was light enough to cut out early and ski after school

5 - the quarry

6 - rocky points jutting into the river (those were COLD keg parties)

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 6:55 PM

Grew up in NYC, so no one spot.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 6:57 PM

The woods or that lake in the backwoods to party, get high and drunk. I grew up in a small Pine Barrens town in NJ. More popular with retirees. So there no "teen hangouts".

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 6:59 PM

Drinking beer on the corner in front or behind the local grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 7:00 PM

Gstaad.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 7:01 PM

The Peach Pit, of course.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 7:02 PM

After school, couple of pizza shops in the neighborhood. Cruising was a huge deal in California back in the 70s and 80, so kids hung out in their cars and just drove around, hitting fast food places afterwards. The downtown area was always packed on a Saturday night. There's still some of it, but the people are older now.

Is it just me or do kids just not hang out like they used to? There's a high school five blocks from me in one direction and a junior high, the one I attended, a couple of blocks in the other. Even pre-pandemic, kids don't seem to hang out after school (unless it's for organized sports) like they did back in my day. They just go home. I don't remember many kids getting picked up by their parents back then Now, starting around 2:00, the entire huge block is ringed with idling cars. The other kids either get on special city buses to get home or stop at Rite Aid or CVS for snacks before taking the train home. They don't even hang out in the park across the street. The high school kids are the same until they get licenses at 16.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 7:09 PM

The Gander Mountain parking lot. It also had Taco Bell and a McDonalds in that parking lot, so perfect for teenagers and actually safe. The fair grounds were the old hookup spots but our parents’ generation were the last to actually use it. Now it’s patrolled by cops and fucking in a car isn’t all that necessary or romantic.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 7:12 PM

If there was I was never invitees.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 7:13 PM

The local Dairy Queen.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 7:15 PM

Eastwood Mall in Birmingham, Alabama, was the cruising spot for kids on the east side of town.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 7:16 PM

The levee. Farming community. People went there to drink, smoke, hang out, listen to the radio. Too many people there to have sex. Other country roads for that.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 7:22 PM

r4..Not true...it depends on the borough and the neighborhood. As preteens our hang out was Kings Plaza in Brooklyn. When we were teens it became East Village/Soho.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2021 7:23 PM

Where I grew up in the LA, the Sunset Strip. Saw a lot of great bands there - the Whiskey a Go Go had an earlier all ages show, so did the Troubadour. Then I got a fake ID and could hang at the Rainbow Room.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2021 7:29 PM

R16 here. One of my parents lived in Pasadena, so we would ride our bikes to the very cool record store, Poobahs where I would spend my money on British imports. Then down to Lake Street by Caltech. We would eat at Hamburger Hamlet. I worked part time at the Baskin Robins on Lake, and friends would come over to hang out. Tons of college guys - back then Caltech was mostly male.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2021 7:34 PM

It all had to be walking distance, and there were a McDonalds a s Friendly’s across the street from each other. In winter we’d hang out at a park with a skating pond and play hockey and/or sit around the fire and drink. In summer we’d hang out at the elementary school playground and the woods by the reservoir where we’d drink and go swimming.

These days Friendly’s is a bank, the pond has been drained and filled in, the school has security cameras everywhere, and the reservoir is patrolled by DEP cops. McDonald’s is the only place left. I have no idea where kids go to hang out anymore.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2021 7:39 PM

I grew up in a one-horse Arizona town. Everyone hung out at the 7-Eleven parking lot, because it was the only place that stayed open late. And everyone cruised up and down the one main street. Funny, I think of it as a happy time.

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2021 7:46 PM

We always hung-out in each other's homes...usually in the basement watching tv, playing pool, or drinking. We all had cars, so we'd just drive around too.

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2021 7:54 PM

R5: are you familiar with Tom Brown Jr.?

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2021 7:59 PM

R7 went to Le Rosey.

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2021 8:37 PM

R17 Why did you phrase it like that? One of my parents? Why not just say my mom or my dad?

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2021 9:50 PM

Pioneer Square in downtown Portland. All the edgy goth/emo kids and skaters would skip school and spend the day there (for no real reason, either—it's just an open, brick-lined square block). This was in the early/mid-2000s, when the downtown was a bit more bustling and not completely overrun with homeless schizophrenics and drug addicts (although they were still around).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2021 9:55 PM

Kevin Spacey's house

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2021 9:57 PM

Small town Wisconsin. The local diner, named the Chieftains Teepee! Or for drinks/drugs/sex - our version of the pine barrens

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 9:59 PM

The woods for drinking. The DQ or Friendly's. The kids with big houses had people over.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 10:04 PM

I see a Kevin Smith movie in my head reading these posts. If you were to know me in irl you'd like know this is a compliment of the highest order.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 10:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!