Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who's the greatest singer-turned-actress?

Which lady began as a singer before becoming a movie star is the greatest?

by Anonymousreply 58November 30, 2021 1:27 AM

Garland doesn't count. Her talents were indistinguishable. I'd say she was an actress who turned singer.

The best singer who turned good actress is Doris Day. She remains an excellent singer and a hugely successful actress in all genres.

Of my generation, no question it's JHud. She's about to win her second Oscar. And the girl can b l o w.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 4:55 AM

From that pathetic list: Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 4:57 AM

Cher is not a good singer or actress. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 5:00 AM

R2, it doesn't matter what Barbra considers herself. She began as a singer because she couldn't get cast in plays.

R3, Cher is a dynamic vocalist and a fantastic actress in the right role (Five and Dime, Silkwood, Mask, Moonstruck).

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 5:06 AM

R1, I like J.Hud, but I'll be very surprised if she even gets an Oscar nomination this year. The competition is just too strong.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 5:07 AM

What's the opposite of embarras de richesses? My god, OP's list of stinkers!

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 5:08 AM

R6, you're ... what's the opposite of bright?

At one time each woman on the list was considered a huge movie star after beginning as a singer.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 5:11 AM

Huh, R4? OP has compiled a shitty list. But uses the word "great." Cher is not a great singer or actress. Never once. The end.

Dynamic - occasionally. Fantastic - nah.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 5:13 AM

R7 You are high. LOL

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 5:14 AM

Yeah Beyonce was a HUGE MOVIE STAR.

(Huge hipped movie star.)

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 5:20 AM

Not even Whitney on crack would have called herself a huge movie star.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 5:26 AM

Whitney conquered everything she ever tried. She was a movie star - but would not have called herself one. Her films were all box office success. By the end of The Bodyguard she was already in trouble.

What Whitney achieved in pop culture should never be denigrated. She and Diana Ross are the gold standard. Each fantastic in different ways. Diana Ross should have been the first black actress to win an Academy Award. Everyone knows it's so. And exactly why she didn't win.

Whitney was never going to be a great actress, but she was more than a singing movie star. She had presence and real charm on screen. As in life. The best.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 5:35 AM

In 1978, after the blockbuster success of Grease, Olivia Newton-John was inundated with offers. Most of the films were vehicles for her that didn't get made, including a remake of Lili and a musical set on the French Riviera. She was bound by her recording contract to make another album, then she was talked into making Xanadu, which changed her career trajectory. But in 1978, she was a huge movie star.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 5:38 AM

R5 the woke Academy needs a black woman. Don't count her out

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 5:39 AM

R14, nope. If wokeness is gonna figure into the lead acting nominations, there'll be two Black actors vying for best actor this year. Right now I think Halle Berry has as good a chance as J.Hud, but they're both in the second tier of predicted nominees.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2021 5:43 AM

Woke or not, The AA will nominate Hudson. Lots of people have been nominated in bad films. Why is it "woke" to recognize Hudson's incredible vocals and very good performance? She most certainly will be nominated and I don't even give a fuck about these things. It's just clear that she should be and will be.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2021 5:45 AM

R1, Garland wasn't an actress who became a singer, just the opposite. She began singing as a toddler. She didn't begin acting until she was 13.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2021 5:47 AM

Yeah but you're dumb R17. I've seen the bios of that crazy bitch too. Garland didn't become a really good singer until 10 years into her film career and not an iconic concert artist until after she left MGM. She didn't even know what she could do vocally before she was 30 some years old. Not uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2021 5:53 AM

R18, Oh, so Garland wasn't a good singer when she recorded "(Somewhere) Over the Rainbow." Got it. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2021 5:56 AM

Gagita. And oh yes, hunties, there will be a third film…

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2021 5:56 AM

I agree with R1. Doris Day.

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2021 6:05 AM

Did I say she couldn't sing then R19? Old gay men are so sensitive about Judy Garland. I said she was an actress who became a singer. And I know that still. She wouldn't sell a record if not for her presence on film when she was young. A distinctive and powerful voice, but not one that you listen to on the gramophone. That swelling voice and wayward vibrato. Nah. She sang like Al Jolson. Garland was an actress who sang. Exceptionally well, in person. She was a full force event. Put on a show and her voice was a thrill. Theatrical. For a brief period between 1950 & 1962, but not often. She had occasional grand moments after. But as a pure vocalist - she was a better actress. Gaga and Bette Midler remind me of Garland. They have great voices only when you are watching them perform. And sad Liza is the same. Except she never was a great singer, even while performing.

JHud is a better singer than actress. As was Whitney. And Streisand.

Gaga is neither. Cher is neither.

Garland was quite great at both, but an actress who sang first. Got it? Her voice alone would never be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2021 6:09 AM

R22, you don't seem to know much about film acting or popular singing.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2021 6:30 AM

Huh? I can only consider the source R23. You're not very confident are you?

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2021 6:35 AM

Classic pre-Stonewall queen here. Judy slays.

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2021 6:39 AM

R24, you can spout off some factoids, but based on your comment you don't understand the nuances of film acting and singing. One doesn't have the longevity of Cher without being incredibly talented both as an actress and a singer.

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 6:41 AM

Haha! Cher is a minor talent as a singer and actress. She was once not bad at being Cher.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 6:43 AM

Lol, gaga and madonna are hardly great singers let alone great actresses. It's between babs and judy.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 6:46 AM

R22, thanks, that was funny. Delusional, but funny.

R1, agree re Doris Day. However I wasn't aware that she was still singing and acting.

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2021 6:46 AM

Thank you R29. I am R1 AND R29! Your appreciation of me is boundless. Sometimes it is best to listen to the experts. You're welcome.

Doris Day still sings. Do you own a streaming device? She's singing all damn day. She still acts too.

Judy Garland only "performs." She's exhausting to listen to.

Cher does that thing with her mouth and throat that sold a lot of records.

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2021 6:55 AM

Oh Lord, R28. Gaga is a damn good singer. Just stop being silly. Hate her all you want, but she can sing. And so far she seems to be a damn good actress too. But her filmography isn't diverse enough just yet to truly judge.

Whitney could have been a great actress, but she never really challenged herself. (And I say this being the kid in high school who was obsessed with The Bodyguard film and soundtrack!) She's the best singer on the list, however.

Beyonce? No. Decent singer, wooden actress.

Diana is ethereal and a personal favorite, but I wouldn't call her a great actress. She's not really a great singer either. Though I love her voice and songs.

JHud is hard not to root for. She's certainly a great singer. But I haven't really been wowed by her as an actress. Haven't seen Aretha yet, so I should hold judgement for now.

Madonna is the biggest star of all, but she simply can't act. Shockingly so.

Cher is great. I'd put her just after Barbra.

Barbra is first for me. Judy would be, but she's really an actress turned singer.

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2021 6:56 AM

Well I am also really R22. But only with my reading glasses. I can't be R29. Not for another 30 years! I apologize.

Thank goodness R31 has a brain who understands the question. Judy is an actress turned singer. Cher is an alleged singer turned alleged actress. This is correct.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2021 7:00 AM

You can repeat it as often as you like R30, but France Gumm was a singer first. Period.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2021 7:02 AM

Truth is I don't think Judy Garland was ever a great singer. First or later. So you can put her throbbing warble in whatever order that helps you sleep R33. Goodnite.

by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2021 7:22 AM

Cher. She didn't need to sing. Barbara was good early on. Then she became a camp goddess. It's too early to tell with Gaga. The rest don't count.

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2021 7:26 AM

Am I the only actress turned singer? I'd say so.

by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2021 7:48 AM

Liberace

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2021 8:15 AM

Some lesser names who were also successful singers-turned-actress:

Julie London

Della Reese

Petula Clark

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2021 12:50 PM

Others:

Marcia Strassman was a one-hit wonder many years before "Welcome Back, Kotter."

Barbara McNair (popular singer; did a few movie and TV roles)

Connie Francis

Reba McEntire

Dolly Parton

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2021 2:38 PM

Judy is the obvious choice, followed by Barbra, then Doris Day. All were top box office attractions. Madonna could have joined them even though she couldn't act but she made terrible decisions thinking she was a great artist.

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2021 8:48 PM

Judy and Barbra are by far the most gifted female entertainers ever- no contest- and two of the greatest singers of any genre, ever. Any and every media they worked in the excelled.

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2021 8:56 PM

Ever hear of Hattie McDaniel, R12?

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote]Any and every media they worked in the excelled.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 9:01 PM

Barbra. Even Judy pales in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2021 6:46 PM

To the taste-free queen who thinks Cher and Gaga are untalented, suck on this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2021 12:20 AM

Gaga is looking like a Gorilla in the Airport Lounge right now on the Tony Bennett special! She's like a clumsy, less sincere, untalented, badly dressed Liza. Not a tasteful or theatrical bone in her gross display. Whew, she stinks.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2021 12:25 AM

R46, I know I speak for many when I say I'd like to see a photo of you.

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2021 12:26 AM

R46 Couldn't disagree more. The audience loves her too. I'm not a huge fan but I really do think she is an amazing entertainer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2021 12:29 AM

She's grotesque. Vocally, and in more obvious ways.

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2021 12:33 AM

You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2021 12:37 AM

Christ - Gaga gets worse. That pinched nasal strained voice. Liza can sing NY NY better from her grave.

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2021 12:41 AM

Note to ga-ga. This is how it's sung. And done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2021 1:02 AM

Methinks Benson Boone WILL be the greatest singer-turned-actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2021 4:36 AM

All the Gaga haters will be eating crow when she gets her second best actress Oscar nod.

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2021 8:42 PM

That's right, R54, second best!

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2021 8:45 PM

Wow. Natalie Cole was in a class all her own. Fantastic. That song is a banger @ R52. Gaga looked and sounded like a drunk lounge singer.

by Anonymousreply 56November 30, 2021 1:10 AM

Dear God, I hate Beyoncé.

by Anonymousreply 57November 30, 2021 1:13 AM

Benson Boone is yummy.

by Anonymousreply 58November 30, 2021 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!