Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cabaret is on Turner Classic Movies Monday November 29

8 PM Eastern (and probably Pacific).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2021 6:48 PM

I fucking love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 4:08 AM

Hits close to home now in a way I never believed it could.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 4:09 AM

That scene with the blonde adolescents bellow-singing that the future belongs to them is deeply menacing.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 4:10 AM

It's the greatest film musical ever made.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 4:12 AM

R4 One could certainly make the arguement, no question.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 4:31 AM

I'm surprised Sam Mendes never chose to film an update but with his seedier interpretation of the story.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 4:37 AM

Sam Mendes is a hack and should stick with his shitty Oscar bait shitfests.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 4:38 AM

I ushed to have thish girlfriend named as Elshie……

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 4:46 AM

Liza is absolute perfection in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2021 12:50 AM

I'm schure I remember thisch... Who schtarsch? I juscht know it'sch a favorite of mine!

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2021 12:54 AM

Scores if not hundreds of persons world over believe "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" actually is some sort of real Nazi propaganda song.

As Wiki says...

"Tomorrow Belongs to Me" is a song from the 1966 Broadway musical Cabaret, and the 1972 film of the same name. It is not a historically authentic song, but instead was written and composed by two Jewish musicians – John Kander and Fred Ebb – as part of an avowedly anti-fascist work; the nationalist character of the song serves as a warning to the musical's characters of the rise of Nazism. Nonetheless, "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" has at times been adopted by right-wing, neo-Nazi, and alt-right groups as an anthem."

Ending of scene with Joel Grey giving that menacing grin indicating yes, Baron Maximilian von Heune and Brian Roberts are going to do exactly what you are thinking is telling on many levels.

Frist we know Weimar Republic was quite a good time to be gay in Germany (comparatively, and especially compared to other parts of Europe). Next German nobility and elite totally misjudged Herr Hitler and his nasty band of Nazis. By time many of them woke up and smelled the coffee it was often too late. The Damned, a film that was released few years before Cabaret, and also starring Helmut Griem told that story...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2021 1:55 AM

[quote]Nonetheless, "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" has at times been adopted by right-wing, neo-Nazi, and alt-right groups as an anthem."

This must have disgusted Kander and Ebb to no end.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2021 2:30 AM

Let's not forget that anti-gay fanatic Anita Bryant released a quite unironic version of "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" in 1967.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2021 2:45 AM

R13 that is insane.

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2021 3:18 AM

When it was released I returned to the movie theater see it 7 times. I have watched it at least 30 times since then. It's still my favorite film.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2021 3:30 AM

I would have liked to have seen a film of the original musical. Unfortunately it was made at a time when you couldn't have people burst out in song unless they were on stage. I hate that Fosse turned it into A Night With Liza. it doesn't help that I don't adore Liza. I'll stick with the obc and Jill Haworth and that great opening from the original production on the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2021 3:41 AM

The real thing (German Nazi military propaganda song that is...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2021 4:22 AM

[quote] I would have liked to have seen a film of the original musical. Unfortunately it was made at a time when you couldn't have people burst out in song unless they were on stage.

I’m not quite sure I understand what you’re trying to say here. What film musical before Cabaret had only diegetic songs (that still moved the plot)? Cabaret pioneered this concept. Before Cabaret, people didn’t need a stage to burst out into song.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2021 4:30 AM

R18 I don’t follow.

What exactly did Cabernet pioneer for those of us who were around then. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2021 4:41 AM

Oliver Collignon (gorgeous blonde youth who "sang" Tomorrow Belongs To Me), only had handful of acting roles. Dropping all that Herr Collingnon became an architect where he has had more success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2021 4:47 AM

R18 I honestly don't think r16 has the ability to understand what you are saying but thank you for saying it anyway. The exact opposite of what they are saying is true. Almost all musicals before "Cabernet" consisted of actors bursting into song within the context of real life. I guess they never saw Singing in the Rain or The Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2021 4:51 AM

Other film musicals released within a year of “Cabaret”

Godspell (1973)

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

Lost Horizon (1973)

Tom Sawyer (1973)

1776 (1972)

Man of La Mancha (1972)

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)

Fiddler on the Roof (1971)

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

All book musicals. Nobody had to have a stage to sing on in any of them.

What is now the convention we see in Chicago and Nine was revolutionary in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2021 5:25 AM

And they were mostly flops except for Fiddler. Fosse was scared of having singing in book scenes for fear of having another Sweet Charity. And you're right I'm not understanding R18.

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2021 5:39 AM

Why does it matter why he did it? My statement was that he was the first (and for a long time only) one to do it.

Yes, he wanted to reinvent the movie musical, which he did.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2021 5:46 AM

Interesting, R20. I noticed that he does not mention anything about his acting career in his bio on the website.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2021 5:48 AM

Foshe!

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2021 6:01 AM

I love the film but I would love to see a film adaptation of the original show. Same with Funny Girl when songs were cut to make it more of Barbra's vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2021 6:17 AM

R16 I really disagree. The movie of Cabaret is so great because it IS so different from the stage show. Sondheim used to say he hated when movie musicals were basically filmed versions of the stage shows. Film is such a vastly different medium, there's no reason to make them that way. I think the way Fosse filmed Cabaret is basically what he was talking about.

May I ask how old you are? Are you a woman?

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2021 6:47 AM

R25

That's because Oliver Collingnon didn't really have much of an acting career.

Two roles in laughingly forgettable German "teen" films, then several episodes in a television series.

Biggest role Oliver Collingnon had was that singing Nazi youth in Cabaret, and that was uncredited.

Leaving acting alone, continuing with his studies and entering into a profession was a very sensible move.

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2021 7:06 AM

Life is:

Short

Just one

A tómbola (google Marisol from Spain)

A cabaret

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2021 7:32 AM

Completely agree with R28. West Side Story is a prime example. Imagine “America” on film just being about gossiping girls? Or “Cool” being about gang pride at a soda shop? Film allowed to add sexual tension to the former and tragedy, car headlights and all, to the latter.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2021 7:37 AM

[quote]May I ask how old you are? Are you a woman?

What the ever lasting fuck?

May I ask, what's wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2021 12:03 PM

Well that was upsetting, r13.

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2021 12:06 PM

Huh r31? This thread is confusing af.

by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2021 12:14 PM

Nah r34, you’re just a little slow, that’s all.

by Anonymousreply 35November 30, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote] Life is:

…what you do while you’re waiting to die.

by Anonymousreply 36November 30, 2021 5:40 PM

Tawdry...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 30, 2021 5:44 PM

John Kander in his own words..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2021 3:40 AM

The Politics of “Tomorrow Belongs To Me” from Cabaret....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2021 3:43 AM

Great German chanteuse Greta Keller recording of "Heiraten" was used in film Cabaret.

Poor thing had a somewhat unhappy life. Her second husband Gaspar Griswold Bacon, Jr. was allegedly a homosexual who was killed under strange circumstances. Shock of hearing of her husband's death, along with an off label use of morphine injection caused Greta Keller to miscarry her unborn child.

David Bacon's murder was never solved, and files have disappeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2021 12:27 PM

Heriaten!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2021 12:30 PM

We used to say, "I sold my coat" whenever we had an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2021 12:40 PM

Probably the only Liza moment from Cabaret one likes..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2021 12:41 PM

Say what you want, but in that clip above Liza Minnelli proves she's Judy Garland's daughter.

It may not have been the greatest of voices, but Liza knew how to use her instrument to best advantage.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2021 12:46 PM

Correction to R40

Greta Keller was Austrian, not German.

Either way she was magnificent. Better than Dietrich IMHO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2021 6:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!