Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are DNA kits a good gift? 🧬

It could be fun for them to test to see what they are, where they’re from, if they’re male or female, are prone to genetic diseases, have hidden talents, or find other relatives. I was going to give this to a friend but then I thought of how some people might be sensitive to privacy and not want to register and give their DNA out. And she is a very private person, even though she’s somewhat famous. So is it a good gift or not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2022 3:58 AM

Let's hope the recipients haven't committed any crimes. If their DNA is in a crime database, the testing company will rat them out faster than you can say "due process".

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 2:10 AM

Be careful OP. Kind intentions can be misinterpreted. Someone in my extended family recently married and had a baby with a woman of rather indiscreet virtue. Last holiday season I gifted them a paternity test and everyone was mad at ME. Last time I ever put thought into a gift. This year its Amazon cards for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 2:24 AM

One very interesting complaint I've heard about 23 and me is that their newest, updated way of measuring ancestry is less accurate then their older one. Grain of salt and all that but I've seen this remarked on repeatedly online. Google boxcar method for more info.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 2:26 AM

Nothing says fun like testing yourself to see if you're prone to genetic diseases, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 2:36 AM

They once did an experiment by DNA testing babies in a British hospital. The amount of babies who turned out to belong to different fathers was so shockingly high they shut down the experiment.

As of 10 years ago in the U.S., it was estimated up to 1/3 of poor babies belonged to different fathers than what was on their birth certificates. The number decreases to about 10% of middle/upper class babies.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 6:50 AM

How old are they? If they're 45 or older, perhaps gift them a Cologuard kit.

Imagine the look on their faces when they remove the bow and wrapping paper and see this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 4:32 PM

My opinion: no, not a good gift for reasons stated above. If someone specifically asks for one, then you could buy it.

Reliability: reliable to determine paternity, yes. IMO, not reliable with regard to determining "race" of your ancestors. Seems like they use metadata to do this.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote]if they’re male or female

Oh, goddamn. This bullshit never stops.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 10:58 PM

[quote] if they’re male or female

Trollin', trollin', trollin'

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 11:01 PM

I bought one for my sister-in-law, who I think has really interesting ancestry (Sardinian and Hungarian Gypsy). It cost about $80. But it then required her to make an account and maybe pay for a subscription. Anyway, she just wasn't interested enough to do all that, so she never used it.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 11:24 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2022 3:14 AM

I wouldn’t. People find out secrets that should remain secret.

My father grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone else. One of his uncles was the black sheep of the family. My father recently matched on the “cousin” level with a guy that was the son of the town’s good time girl. Apparently, the black sheep uncle got her pregnant, but nobody ever knew about it.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2022 3:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!