Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Popeye's Louisiana Chicken Restaurant Opens First Branch in England

And Londoners queued up for hours to try it. This article has lots of pics, but one I saw yesterday (which I now can't find) had tweets from the customers. All of them loved it - especially the "American biscuits", which they had never had before ("looks like a scone, but tastes different"). I wonder how exotic Louisiana is to an Englishman? I've never actually had Popeyes in the US; how different is it from KFC? Better?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 1, 2021 12:59 PM

I feel like the regular fried chicken places run by indian families in London are more flavorful than popeyes, I have no idea why they would rather eat popeyes.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2021 2:02 AM

Love me some Popeye's but unfortunately in the States, you can only get it at airports (Dallas Terminal D)... unless you want to venture into the hood.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2021 2:02 AM

[quote] I've never actually had Popeyes in the US; how different is it from KFC?

Popeyes is based on Cajun/New Orleans flavors, so it's spiced differently than KFC. Popeyes has the best biscuits and mashed potatoes of the fast food chains.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 2:04 AM

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Popeye's; my favorite item on their menu are the popcorn shrimp and biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 2:04 AM

[quote]Love me some Popeye's but unfortunately in the States, you can only get it at airports (Dallas Terminal D)... unless you want to venture into the hood.

That's not true. They are popping up all over Manhattan. There's one in Chelsea on 8th Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 2:05 AM

There's a Popeye's in my mostly white, upscale, major city small suburban town.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 2:14 AM

*Suburb

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 2:14 AM

I made Irish soda bread not long ago and realized it is basically a giant American biscuit. That's how Popeye's should explain it to Brits: Our biscuits are like small soda breads.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 2:23 AM

[quote]Love me some Popeye's but unfortunately in the States, you can only get it at airports (Dallas Terminal D)... unless you want to venture into the hood.

Tell me you're white af, without telling me...

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 2:24 AM

White and rich, r9. I'm a middle class white man who lives three miles from a Popeyes.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 2:35 AM

There is a Popeye's and a Chick-fil-A within walking distance of my house in a lily white suburb. I've never been to either one.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 2:38 AM

My upper-middle-class, majority-white "hood" has a Popeyes, too. I like it better than KFC, but prefer the "other" KFC (Korean fried chicken) or Jollibee over either of them.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 2:52 AM

They USED to have really good food. The key word is used

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 3:03 AM

Bojangles is better

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 3:11 AM

Brits love spice wherever we can get it: Nando's, all different Indian and Bengali style dishes, spicy shawarmas, kebabs, curries all over... Of course Londoners will love Popeyes. (especially when compared to the bland and squidgy KFC)

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2021 3:30 AM

The only good thing they have is that damn sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2021 3:32 AM

Popeye's is better than KFC in every imaginable way.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2021 3:34 AM

R16 Their Red Beans & Rice is superb. You should try some next time.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2021 3:35 AM

What about Olive Oyl?

No one ever mentions her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2021 3:38 AM

I second the red beans and rice from Popeyes, it’s my favorite side dish.

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2021 3:44 AM

And NONE in masks, just like the Remembrance ceremony at the Cenotaph. Not one in the densely packed crowds or among the participants. It looks so dangerous.

I don't want to come off as easily alarmed, but I had my booster on Tuesday at and have no plans to go maskless any time soon. I have nothing to lose

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2021 3:51 AM

I went to Popeyes twice. I got the sandwich and chicken nuggets. I did get the mild chicken nuggets and they were so bland there was actually no taste at all. The sandwich was horrible too

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2021 4:49 AM

Who cares, R21? Go bore people with this stuff elsewhere. This thread is about Popeye’s Chicken opening in London and thriving in other locations.

Incidentally, Popeye’s is all over the American southern states, no “hood” required, R9.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2021 5:01 AM

Sorry, meant R2, not R9.

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2021 5:02 AM

R22 Simple solution: don't order MILD. I wouldn't say "nuggets" are their best offering either. The Spicy chicken is where it's at, not the MILD nuggets, or MILD other offerings. I order the original Spicy chicken, and that's what's primarily being compared to other Chicken places here.

It always makes more sense to order what a place is famous for. You remind me of people who judge a place by their chicken or fish items, when it's a burger joint

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2021 6:47 AM

Their “the perfect” hot sauce is fucking nasty.

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 7:22 AM

R26 I use the Cajun Sparkle seasoning, not the hot sauce.I don't think the chicken needs any really.

When I do desire a hot sauce, Louisiana is not my favourite either.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 7:29 AM

I think the quality is not uniform. I used to enjoy but the two times I ate at one, it was inedible.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 7:32 AM

One opened up in my area awhile back so I went on their website to see what foods had onions or garlic in them (I'm allergic to both).

I contacted their e-mail address with my concerns but I never heard back from anyone so I never ordered anything from there.

It has since closed down but since it doesn't care about a potential customer's health concerns, I won't shed a single tear.

Karma.

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2021 11:00 AM

Church's Chicken is much more likely to be found in "the hood" than Popeye's

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2021 12:31 PM

R11 Do you live in Scotch Plains/Watchung? LOL

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2021 12:42 PM

I wonder if it'll be as 'successful' as Chick-fil-A was here?

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2021 12:46 PM

[quote]Church's Chicken is much more likely to be found in "the hood" than Popeye's

In the 80s and 90s in NYC, you knew you were in a bad neighborhood when you saw a Kennedy’s Fried Chicken.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2021 1:22 PM

Plus there's free entertainment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2021 1:34 PM

Unfortunately I can't eat meat, but I did stop by a Popeyes once back in the summer and bought a shrimp plate and a bowl of red beans and rice. The shrimp were okay, for fast food. But the RBAR were delicious. I went back to the drive thru and got the RBAR several times since that day. I can easily make a meal out of that alone.

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2021 1:40 PM

r29 you poor thing, allergic to onions And garlic, the base of almost everything.

by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2021 1:46 PM

I used to like the dirty rice (which was later renamed "Cajun rice.") But they discontinued it. I'm not a fan of beans, so it was always my go-to side.

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2021 1:58 PM

I like Popeye's chicken much better than weirdly soggy KFC. I don't eat fried chicken very often anymore in the interest of my health but I'd be happy to eat Popeye's chicken anytime.

I am amused and surprised that British people are confused by the biscuits. I would have thought that they'd at least know US-style biscuits are savory scone-like dinner quickbreads from watching American TV shows and movies.

It's so easy to forget that the US and the UK can be very foreign to one another, but watching the Great British Baking Show has underscored that for me. They call zucchini courgettes, sometimes call layer cakes gateaux, they have all kinds of common baked goods I'd never heard of before, from jaffa cakes to sausage rolls to savory pies made with inedible hot water crust, they seem to use gelatin in everything they make, etc.

When I did a study abroad at Cambridge for a summer 20 years ago, England lived up to its reputation for strangely flavorless food, but it seems I really missed out on baked goods when I was there. And that's interesting to me because my grandmother was the daughter of immigrants from Ireland and she basically served boiled meats and vegetables with almost no seasoning much of the time, which no one looked forward to, but she made so many amazing desserts and she prioritized them over the rest of the meals.

I think the only real difference between an American biscuit and a scone is the amount of butter used in biscuits, and the lack of additives like raisins, etc.

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2021 2:01 PM

I loved the dirty rice and I can’t believe they discontinued it since it made Popeyes stand out against other fast food chicken joints. French fries and mashed potatoes are a staple at most places.

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2021 2:04 PM

What a time to open a new chicken restaurant in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2021 2:14 PM

We ordered the deep fried Popeyes Turkey for thanksgiving and it was so good! Fat whores were rejoicing, now walking it off.

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2021 2:39 PM

[quote]they seem to use gelatin in everything they make

And they use SHEETS of gelatin, which I've never seen or heard of in the US.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 2:42 PM

Did they allow the franchise to use American chickenstein? It's tragic to see more and more Brit chavs developing gynecomastia and ugly pear-shaped body like American fattards after eating more shithole chickenstein. SAD!

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 2:51 PM

I can't believe Popeye's has been in Spain the past few years before it opened in London...usually it's the other way round. We're still waiting on Shake Shack in Spain...

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 3:03 PM

Gelatin is gross

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 3:06 PM

Popeye's is way too over-seasoned and greasy imo. It's an MSG bomb. But I enjoyed it when they offered the dirty rice and beans as side dishes.

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2021 3:10 PM

[quote] And NONE in masks, just like the Remembrance ceremony at the Cenotaph. Not one in the densely packed crowds or among the participants.

Do you really think people who are willing to stand in line for hours in order to eat fast food would really concern themselves with wearing a mask?

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2021 3:30 PM

Haven't they rebranded as Popeye's Louisiana KITCHEN? The one in my town has.

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2021 4:49 PM

Is it Church's that has the deep fried okra as a side? Do they have that in England?

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2021 5:22 PM

^ Yes, Church's Chicken offers deep fried okra. I haven't had them in decades. The closest one near me is over an hour away and strangely merged with White Castle.

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2021 5:36 PM

Given how obsessed and fat Brits are with KFC, this was just a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2021 6:02 PM

I went to Church’s Chicken once. They actually limited how many condiments I could have. I will never go back.

I love that chicken from Popeyes.

by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2021 6:05 PM

Church's is to Popeyes as Dollar General is to Dollar Tree.

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote] And they use SHEETS of gelatin, which I've never seen or heard of in the US.

Sheet gelatin is primarily used in restaurants or in the homes of foodies in the US. Most home cooks find it rather frightening, and don't quite know how to use it. I've been using it for years. You can find it in specialty shops and on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2021 7:28 PM

Bojangles’ has an awesome dirty rice.

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2021 7:30 PM

I could never live in a place where they Don’t have readily accessible fried chicken and peach cobbler. Ivan barely visit.

by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2021 7:31 PM

I LOVE the spicy tenders (no sauce, thanks...I like them dipped in mashed potatoes & gravy), but I wouldn't line up for them...in OR out of a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2021 7:37 PM

In a blatant money-grab, Popeye's is pushing "Homestyle" Mac & Cheese for a $2 -$3 (!!!) upcharge with a meal. Don't fall for it, it's watery orange fake cheesy goop. It probably cost them 15 cents in ingredients. Absurd.

by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2021 8:07 PM

Personally, I love fat whores with British Accents.

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2021 8:09 PM

r53 That makes no sense. Dollar Tree is a single-price store and is nothing like Dollar General.

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2021 8:54 PM

There are definitely Popeye's in suburban non-"hood" locations.

by Anonymousreply 61November 27, 2021 9:02 PM

[quote]Personally, I love fat whores with British Accents.

HELLO!!! Call me "They"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 27, 2021 11:47 PM

All of you poor, ignorant souls who don’t know and understand the joys of Bojangles.

Superior in every way to Popeye’s. Don’t even bring KFC into the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 63November 27, 2021 11:55 PM

The Mexicans in LA call it poh-PAY-ezz.

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 12:21 AM

Beyoncé,s favorite fried chicken.

by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2021 12:24 AM

I wonder whole be taking some to the Queen? I've always heard she has very simple taste.

She might like this. Wonder if she's ever had fast food before?

by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2021 12:26 AM

FDR served her mother hot dogs at the White House during a State visit, R66.

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2021 12:28 AM

Has HM ever had deep fried okra before? For the future encyclopedia about her.

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2021 12:29 AM

I NEVER eat out. I prepare ALL of my meals at home- it's plenty of work at times- especially salads.

by Anonymousreply 69November 28, 2021 12:39 AM

[quote]FDR served her mother hot dogs at the White House during a State visit, [R66].

Eleanor served the fucking hot dogs! Silly bitch.

by Anonymousreply 70November 28, 2021 12:44 AM

^Yup. She was known for keeping shitty cooks at the White House. I read somewhere that it was suspected this was part of her revenge for Frank’s extramarital love life.

by Anonymousreply 71November 28, 2021 3:34 AM

Copycat Popeye's dirty rice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 28, 2021 1:40 PM

Copycat Popeye's red beans and rice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 28, 2021 1:42 PM

I was about to post a recipe for Popeye's biscuits but Mason Dixie's frozen biscuits are far superior.

Scones are like a dropped biscuits, not the kind of biscuits made with laminated dough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 28, 2021 1:51 PM

My family is southern and we always had 'dropped'-type biscuits, except we would roll out the dough and cut biscuit 'pucks' out with a drinking glass. I've never liked layered/laminated biscuits because the ones I've had are usually Pillsbury-type canned ones and they don't feel like 'real' biscuits to me. So the ones my family ate were pretty scone-like, just not quite as dry, smaller and not filled with anything.

by Anonymousreply 75November 28, 2021 2:06 PM

For years I had stopped eating fried chicken thanks to KFC....for YEARS!!

My brother would constantly get Popeye's chicken and I would drool at the lovely aromas wafting from the boxes. I was hesitant to try it, because of horrible experiences with the aforementioned KFC. One day, I bit the bullet and ordered a 3-piece combo from Popeye's, and the rest, as they say, is history. That shit is some good eatin'.

by Anonymousreply 76November 28, 2021 2:49 PM

[Quote] The Mexicans in LA call it poh-PAY-ezz.

Possibly because there's no apostrophe, despite the many Oh, dear misspellings in this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 28, 2021 3:50 PM

Hard to believe it took 77 replies to get an "Oh, dear."

by Anonymousreply 78November 28, 2021 9:26 PM

I wish Popeyes would serve fried chicken livers again with the spicy coating, like the chicken.

by Anonymousreply 79November 28, 2021 9:32 PM

And what about the hearts and gizzards?

by Anonymousreply 80November 28, 2021 11:03 PM

[quote]Eleanor served the fucking hot dogs! Silly bitch.

But they didn't make her lose control

by Anonymousreply 81November 28, 2021 11:08 PM

[quote]Possibly because there's no apostrophe, despite the many Oh, dear misspellings in this thread.

So you think it's named after a group of people all named Popeye? You know perfectly well they only left out the apostrophe because they knew their illiterate overweight customers wouldn't notice or care. There's nothing wrong with educated people adding it back in.

(And I love their biscuits so don't be telling me I'm a snob.)

by Anonymousreply 82November 28, 2021 11:17 PM

From Wikipedia:

Alvin C. Copeland claimed he named the stores after the fictional detective Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle (portrayed by Gene Hackman) in the 1971 film The French Connection,[16][17] which came out a year before the chain was founded, and not the comic strip character Popeye the Sailor.[18] The company's early brand became deeply tied to the cartoon star with its sponsorship of the Popeye & Pals children's show in New Orleans, and the character appeared on items from packaging to racing boats.[citation needed] The name is spelled "Popeyes", without the apostrophe commonly used by other restaurant chains such as McDonald's and Hardee's. Copeland claimed facetiously that he was "too poor" to afford an apostrophe.[16]

The chain later acquired rights to use Popeye the Sailor for marketing and used this for 35 years.[18] In late November 2006, AFC announced the mutual termination of their licensing contract with King Features Syndicate, effectively ending their association with the Popeye characters.[19]

by Anonymousreply 83November 29, 2021 12:14 AM

By that time, Olive Oyl was no longer a virgin.

by Anonymousreply 84November 29, 2021 12:26 AM

With a name like Popeyes I’d expect them to serve a lot of spinach.

by Anonymousreply 85November 29, 2021 12:43 AM

I’ve tried recreating Popeyes red beans. One trick I have is to take a potato masher and mash the beans a few times during the cooking process so that the beans get silky and and absorb all the flavors of the ham and spices. Popeyes beans are almost like a porridge.

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2021 2:21 PM

People from England, have your toilets ready...

by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2021 5:09 PM

How exactly does one "ready" their toilet?

by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2021 8:37 PM

R88 By making sure you have access to it.

by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2021 8:39 PM

We're Catholic so we call the chicken chain two words -- Pope & yes = Popeyes

by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2021 9:49 PM

R83, Copeland was a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 91November 30, 2021 2:39 AM

That stuff is always full of cayenne or other peppers, which do horrible, painful things to my system even in small amounts, so I don't eat there. It's too bad. Sounds nice.

by Anonymousreply 92November 30, 2021 2:58 AM

It's probably different to the American version.

Take-aways are foul wherever you find them.

by Anonymousreply 93November 30, 2021 3:08 AM

"n 2017, a new era began at Popeyes. The chain was acquired by mega-company Restaurant Brands International, the owner of Burger King and Tim Horton's, for an estimated $1.8 billion. Since then, the chain has added a huge number of locations and has launched its now-iconic Fried Chicken Sandwich."

So that's why it sucks. All the Popeyes in my city are rated 1-2 stars on yelp.

by Anonymousreply 94November 30, 2021 7:30 AM

So many fatties in London!!! 🍗🐖🐖🐖

by Anonymousreply 95November 30, 2021 8:10 AM

[quote]Take-aways are foul wherever you find them.

And fowl, in this case.

by Anonymousreply 96November 30, 2021 8:20 AM

R38

Real biscuits especially southern style are nothing like scones.

Biscuits are soft, fluffy and often have layers like croissants. They are never hard, except when badly made, and or cold/old. Then they can be used as hockey pucks.

Biscuits in UK traditionally refer to what we call cookies in USA. Think "digestive biscuits"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 30, 2021 8:26 AM

Biscuits and cheese came next, and here the water-jug was liberally passed round, for it is the nature of biscuits to be dry, and these were biscuits to the core.

by Anonymousreply 98November 30, 2021 9:33 AM

"I ain't bovvered" will be heard in every one of these branches.

by Anonymousreply 99November 30, 2021 11:47 AM

" they seem to use gelatin in everything they make, etc."

Gelatin is used everywhere nowadays. More so in fast or other foods that make reduced fat claims.

Gelatin gives a mouth fullness feeling somewhat like fats, but obviously isn't so that side steps several issues. OTOH those on gluten free diets or are vegans may want to check foods for gelatin content.

by Anonymousreply 100December 1, 2021 2:03 AM

It always amazing hearing Yankees and others get worked up over something most southerners think nothing about. Well besides the stuff is good eating...

Have had dirty rice since can remember, It isn't that difficult to make, though each family or person may have their own particular spin on things. Same for cornbread, grits, fried chicken, gumbo, and rest of good down home food.

Probably where most fall down is they cannot make rice good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 1, 2021 6:32 AM

popeyes in the U.S. just added mac and cheese and its unbelievable. had plenty of browned cheese from the top of the cassarole too. reminded me of how gross the KFC mac and cheese (or pretty much anything KFC) is.

by Anonymousreply 102December 1, 2021 7:44 AM

R102, see R58.

by Anonymousreply 103December 1, 2021 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!