Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm clearing out my 87-year-old mother's place. What mementos should I keep? What is it that you wish you had kept?

My 87-year-old mother died a peaceful death last summer. She was a very practical person, she didn’t like clutter and was very into the clean surface spaces ideal. So we’re not having to deal with dolls, or any other tchotchke collections, thank goodness. We sold the house and now I'm going through her stuff and, other than photos/videos/media, what keepsake should I hold on to. Or for those who went through this process, what are you sorry you didn't keep? TIA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2021 11:50 PM

Cash, jewelry, and safe deposit box keys.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2021 11:43 PM

We don't know your relationship with your mother. You know what is meaningful. Keep a couple things. You're old yourself, no?

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2021 11:43 PM

Any diaries or letters. Family cookbooks or old cookbooks with any of her notes in the margin.

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2021 11:45 PM

Keep some stuff you like that you can use everyday that reminds you of her at her best. Maybe some nice teaspoons or a vase it doesn't have to be fancy. Invite family members to come and take things that they are fond of.

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2021 11:46 PM

I didn’t the same thing with my mum’s stuff a few years ago, only she’s still alive (but has dementia).

I kept some old photos and photo books but honestly that was about it. There were trays and TRAYS of slide photographs that I would never have time to go through and look at, but I did take some to have scanned by professionals and loaded onto a USB drive which I then connected to a digital picture frame for my mum to have (at first she kept turning it off!). I also make certain to keep important documents like birth and marriage certificates, including those of my grandparents - grampy was born in Scotland and if I ever wanted to move to the UK that will be needed for a grandparents visa.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2021 11:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!