Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When I worked as a temp placement rep in the 80's ...

all of the rep's desks were facing each other and within ear-shot, and when we would have to find a Wang Operator, we would call our clients to ask if their Wang skills were still current, and then when we put the phone down we would shriek with laughter and triumphantly announce that our Wang order was filled. It was hard to find a temp that was proficient with their Wang.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 12:48 AM

I cut my teeth in business on Wang. Bluffed my way through it at first, but really I was a natural Wang operator.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2021 8:03 PM

[quote]a Wang Operator

OMG! It was really a thing! They went bankrupt before I was even born though!

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2021 8:04 PM

Yep, first thing I trained on when I started temping in late 80s. It was so special to be a WORD PROCESSOR, not just a clerk-typist!

Used an office PC with two 8 inch floppy disk drives. You loaded one disk with the program on it. Then you typed a letter and saved it on the other 8 inch disk. Then you removed the program disk and loaded the spellcheck disk and ran a spell check. Then you removed the spell check disk, re-loaded the program disk, then saved your letter to your documents floppy disk. The printers were enormous. They used a daisy wheel like an electric typewriter and they were so noisy people bought huge clear plexiglass covers to place over them and deaden the noise.

When I first started temping everywhere I went employees would just buy and use whatever software they liked. Different word processing programs even within a single department of a big company. All different, nothing compatible. Very different from today where everything is controlled from the top down by an IT Dept.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 12:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!