Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THE OMICRON VARIANT

I love it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 6:24 PM

I can hear the lugubrious minor-key Moog synthesizer theme already.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2021 6:49 PM

Sounds like a damn pharmaceutical plant.

Omicron Pharmaceuticals..

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2021 7:13 PM

This was the film debut of Jaqueline Bisset!

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2021 7:15 PM

Omicron, a division of Cyberdyne!

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2021 7:17 PM

I still can’t believe the movie expected us to believe Rod Steiger and Jacqueline Bisset as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2021 7:19 PM

The Greek Alphabet:

After "Delta," what happened to Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kapta, Lambda, Mu, Nu, Xi...and then Omicron? There are many letters between "Delta" and "Omicron."

See the Greek alphabet--letters and symbols--and the sound pronunciation for each:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2021 7:29 PM

Not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse, R6, but I’ll bite.

All variants are named, but not all make a name for themselves. (Do you see what I did there?)

And gee, thanks for learning us about the Greek alphabet.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2021 7:33 PM

The Omicron Strain - Coming soon to a theater (and a hospital, a school, a stadium, a church, a prison, a nursing home, ad infinitum) near you!

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2021 7:33 PM

R7. You mean there have been others variants since Delta, but we haven't heard of them because they didn't make much of a splash? So, Omicron is the first variant to make a name for itself since Delta?

I guess Epsilon, Theta, Eta, etc. came and went in a flash.

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2021 7:38 PM

Helen Lawson was originally hired to provide the voice of the Computer, but she departed when the director wouldn’t allow her to use her trademark “Small Fry” to the end of her lines. “Countdown Sequence Initiating, Small Fry.” “Unable to Disable Lasers, Small Fry.” She was replaced of course by Orson Welles.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2021 7:39 PM

Damn Omicron just caused us a fortune in the stock market.

The Dow closed down 905 point (2.5 percent drop) today while Nasdaq and S&P closed down, 353 and 106 points, respectively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2021 7:42 PM

I am LRRRR, from Omicron Persei 8, and I am here to destroy YOU and your entire planet...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2021 7:49 PM

According to Botswana all four patients were fully vaxxed. Now who didn't see that coming? And notice how they gave it a snazzy name to make it sound super scary. Pathetic

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2021 8:01 PM

Are you sure this variant isn't a Transformer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2021 8:03 PM

Why can't they give them human names, like hurricanes?

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2021 8:05 PM

R5, I know. Talk about a total lack of chemistry! But Terence Stamp as Lt. Commander Jexxon of the Processing Department -- well, I don't have to tell you about the legendary VPL of his tight polyester uniform trousers. It gave me strange tingly feelings when I saw it on TV as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2021 8:07 PM

Imagine sharing a name with a COVID variant...

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2021 8:07 PM

Don't worry until they give it another name outright, like COVID 21.

Until then, the vaccines will all retain some efficacy against it as it may become more transmissible and more deadly to the unvaccinated.

More dead unvaccinated...boo-hoo.

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2021 8:11 PM

I remember a "Lambda" variant - in Brazil maybe?

Maybe they've used all the letters but most of them haven't made an impact? Or maybe for some bizarre reason, they're skipping some of the letters.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2021 8:36 PM

Ah, just dawned on me I could look it up:

It was first detected in Peru in August 2020. On 14 June 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) named it Lambda variant and designated it as a variant of interest. It has spread to at least 30 countries around the world and is known to be more resistant to neutralizing antibodies compared to other strains.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2021 8:37 PM

R6 and R9 doesn’t seem like a complete fool, and able to read, perhaps this will help…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2021 8:37 PM

The book was better.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote]Omicron, a division of Cyberdyne!

All part of the Umbrella Corporation.

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2021 8:43 PM

Which is, in turn, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Weyland-Yutani.

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2021 10:21 PM

They should do a reboot of The China Syndrome but about COVID called The Chinaman Syndrome: Omicron Rising

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2021 2:45 AM

Growing up my dad used to read Robert Ludlum books. The Omicron Variant sounds like a Ludlum title.

“Jason Bourne up against an unknown killer, COVID-19. Can he save the day, or is time running out? Starring Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and special guest appearance by Lena Dunham as the Omicron Variant.”

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 2:57 AM

There are now two cases of Omicron in the UK so probably a thousand by this time next week.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 6:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!