Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Famous books or films you just can't get through

I can't read "A Confederacy of Dunces" because I find the protagonist so foully repellent I want to find him and jam the book down his throat.

I have never been able to care, even a tiny little bit, about anything at all to do with gangsters or Vietnam, which makes most of Francis Ford Coppola's famous films unwatchable to me.

"Catch 22" - I maybe read the first three pages and thought, okay, I get it.

Pretty much all recent television shows. I tried Breaking Bad, Rome and Game of Thrones (I like epic fantasy, love ancient Roman history and the first was highly recommended by many of my friends) and couldn't watch more than the first couple of episodes before losing all interest. Oh, look, a penis. Oh, look, someone said the word "cunt". Ooh, shocking violence. Let me clutch my pearls a bit.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2021 9:52 AM

Anything by John le Carre.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2021 4:23 PM

I can't get through this pointless, dated thread. The 2 comments are 2 too many. Fuck off, Karen.

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2021 4:46 PM

Sorry, R2, didn't realize I was pissing directly into your sprung cunt of a face.

Thought it was the toilet. But it's an easy mistake to make.

You should brush your teeth more often. Like, maybe once.

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2021 4:53 PM

The Bible. It's so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2021 4:55 PM

Sophie's Choice. The book that is. I enjoyed the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2021 4:58 PM

Tampon instructions. They say to unwrap this, and stick it in there. It's all so complicated and I am so bored. I get it.

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2021 5:02 PM

I'm with you on Catch-22. You can add The Sound & the Fury (or just about any Faulkner) to the list for me. Movies....I know I'm gonna get blasted for this one....Citizen Kane. Just bored the fuck out of me the one time I tried to watch it. (Gave up about an hour into it.) I don't think of myself as a total philistine, but I have no clue why this movie is widely considered the greatest American film.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2021 5:40 PM

Oh, I couldn't finish the Sound and the Fury either.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2021 5:44 PM

Ulysses

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2021 5:46 PM

Out of Africa

Casablanca

Any Lord of the Rings

I have tried on at least two occasions with all three, but either fell asleep or just had to shut it off.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2021 7:00 PM

Anything by Thomas Hardy.

For film I'll go with "2001: A Space Odyssey." Kill me now, Hal.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2021 7:17 PM

Hamilton. Tried watching it in Disney+ and lasted about 7 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2021 7:21 PM

R10 Same for me with the Hobbit, book and movie. I'm totally lost as to what the attraction is.

Game of Thrones too, for me, though. Dragons and spells and make believe aren't my thing.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2021 7:24 PM

“The Goldfinch” is interminab . . .

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2021 8:10 PM

Midnight's Children

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2021 4:36 AM

Vertigo

I've never made it through any Tolkien.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2021 5:00 PM

Don Quixote

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2021 9:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!