Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OSCAR RACE 2022: First Look, Second Part

I didn’t set off for the original thread to become the de facto 2022 Oscar Nominations Conversation thread, just sharing the always interesting Feinberg speculation article to mull over. But since it did take off and do so with some extraordinary comments and conversations I wanted to keep it going since it’s winding down to its conclusion. Staying true to its origins, I’m posting this follow up article even though it’s going on a week old since a new one is unlikely to come out anytime soon before the other thread closes. Carry on with your great posts and predictions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513February 8, 2022 2:15 PM

B U M P

Lady Gaga for Best Actress!

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2021 10:47 AM

P O W E R O F T H E D O G for the sweep!

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2021 10:53 AM

Thanks OP! The other one has indeed been a very interesting thread that has made me want to see a few more movies - never a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2021 7:19 PM

R3 I know right, I’ve been more intrigued by films and performances this year then in the last few, so that’s a good thing since it felt it was in the death throws of the industry.

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2021 8:24 PM

in the other thread someone said Julia Roberts may have had the blonde hair at her Pretty Woman Oscar ceremony for Hook.

In Hook she has brown hair (a wig probably.)

Maybe she did die it and cut it to look like Tinker Bell but they/she didn't like they way it turned out.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2021 9:38 PM

Well, that’s The Humans out of contention. Nobody’s going to watch that.

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2021 11:23 PM

Counting the days until Power of the Dog is on Netflix and everyone can see quite clearly that Kirsten Dunst doesn’t stand a chance of winning anything for her performance in that.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2021 1:14 AM

I don't think Dunst deserves a nomination but Ruth Negga gave the same down in the mouth performance in LOVING and she was nominated.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2021 1:55 AM

Wasn't Ruth Negga nominated the year after #oscarssowhite?

Not saying she was undeserving. I don't know who she beat out. (actually was it Amy Adams in Arrival?)

But I think color really mattered that year.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 2:58 AM

R7, I haven’t seen the film yet so I can’t judge, but since you have, do you have any idea why people still seem to consider Dunst the front runner?

It feels strange that she’s persisted as the front runner based on what you say, especially since enough pundits have seen The Power of the Dog that it’s not just guessing.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 4:25 AM

I honestly have no idea why people still seem to consider her the front runner. It makes zero sense when you see the film. Her character starts out as a relatively well balanced young woman forging a life for her and her son who then finds herself being mentally tortured by Cumberbatch’s character. So much so that she takes to drinking alone in her bed. She doesn’t have one scene where she gets to let loose. Even at the end when there’s a chance she could have a knockout scene with the actor playing her son it doesn’t materialize. Dunst is fine for what she’s been given but she just hasn’t been given anything particularly meaty to play.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 4:49 AM

It's because they haven't seen The Lost Daughter yet.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 4:56 AM

R7/R11, thank you for your explanation. Based on what you wrote, the best I can guess is that it’s hard to give up a pre-established narrative for an actor when the movie goes over so well. No one wants to say “Yes, the movie is great, but sorry, the big Kirsten Dunst comeback everyone wanted just isn’t happening.”

It’s easier to crush people’s hopes for a flop than a triumph.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 5:24 AM

Is it because at a key time late in the movie Kirsten Dunst breaks character and sings a soulful rendition of “Losing My Mind” from Follies as the Montana landscape swirls around her?

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 8:51 AM

I think the moment when Kirsten’s character cannot play the piano for her guests is probably her strongest acting moment in the film. And she acquits herself well in all the drunk scenes. But this one seems nomination-only. Benedict Cumberbatch and Kodi Smit-McPhee have more to do and stronger performances overall. They are both in win territory for me.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2021 1:12 PM

R15, I agree that the scene where Dunst’s character is unable to play the piano for guests is her best scene but it comes off as just sort of sad and pathetic without being in any way dynamic or deep enough to warrant even a nomination.

Compare that to Jessie Buckley’s supporting performance in The Lost Daughter where she brilliantly conveys a woman coming unglued.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2021 2:34 PM

The Power of the Dog has zero hype right now. We'll see if that changes once it debuts on Netflix. The fact that it will be easily accessible for Oscar voters to watch on Netflix may help its chances.

Likewise, King Richard has lost so much of its hype and momentum once it tanked at the box-office. I think it stands little chance of winning BP.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2021 3:19 PM

I haven't seen any of the three films yet, but I suspect Best Actress will be big on actresses playing real life people. Nicole Kidman will almost certainly get one for playing Lucille Ball. Jessica Chastain could get one for playing Tammy Faye. I thought Gaga would get one for playing Patrizia Gucci, but after the reviews and that accent, it is less likely. I could see them giving Kristian Stewart one for playing Diana.

When you are playing a real person, I have the feeling the Academy voters not only judge the performance but how much they liked the person you are playing. Hollywood loves Princess Diana, but Lucille Ball was a legend of their own, so I would give Kidman an edge based on that alone.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2021 4:08 PM

R2 Agree. And this is just me judging by the trailers, but it does look like the type of the movie that Academy Awards love.

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2021 4:28 PM

Kirsten Dunst should have won a Golden Globe in 2015 for Fargo. Instead of Lady Gaga for that silly trashy "horror" show.

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2021 4:32 PM

The fact that Hollywood loves Princess Diana also hurts Stewart, R18, because her version cuts herself and has visions of Anne Boleyn. She's not the poor, victimized Diana who elicits sympathy, she's a madwoman with the bad luck to be stuck around a bunch of unpleasant people.

House of Gucci is doing pretty well at the box office right now, and it seems to be the first adult drama of the pandemic era to earn decent numbers. That's very good for Lady Gaga, especially since her competition includes two movies that flopped at the box office (Spencer, The Eyes of Tammy Faye).

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2021 4:52 PM

Which Sondheim song does Adam Driver break into during House of Gucci, and will his recent death boost nominations?

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2021 4:56 PM

R21 The Oscars have made it clear, many times over the years, they don't give a shit about box office.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2021 4:57 PM

The guy who doesn’t like Kirsten Dunst should STFU and quit posting everywhere. Who is he? Jessie Buckley? Dunst doing anything on screen at all is alive and oddly touching. Seeing her drunk and broken is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2021 5:03 PM

Oh dear, R24. Oh dear.

We have a Kirsten Dunst Troll here, fellas. Only not in the least amusing unlike the Marion Cotillard Troll.

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2021 5:34 PM

r9 Negga please. Oscars will always be too white!

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 5:35 PM

r21 Gaga is literally dancing on the ashes of Kstew and Jessie Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 5:37 PM

As much as I like Lady Gaga, she is not winning for this overwrought performance.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 5:38 PM

Gaga for Best Actress.

To get the younger ones and the gays to watch!!

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2021 5:44 PM

House of Gucci seems to be an erratic mess. But Gaga is getting almost universal praise. Including critics who panned the film.

I don't think the BO will have anything to do with whether she gets a nom or not, but the fact it's doing well certainly can't hurt.

But the Academy would be stupid to not nominate her.

First, the performance is clearly worthy of a nod.

Second, she's brings in viewers. Something the Oscars desperately needs.

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2021 8:13 PM

Jennifer Lawrence should win Best Actress, but they'll probably give it to Kidman for a forgettable performance.

Leo should also win.

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2021 8:16 PM

Jennifer Lawrence's PR people were all over the Don't Look Up thread declaring that she and Leo were locked for nominations. Yet I'm not seeing much Oscar buzz around the film or their performances.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2021 8:21 PM

[quote] they'll probably give it to Kidman for a forgettable performance.

You have no idea whether it’s a forgettable performance or not. Lucie Arnaz and the critics who have seen it disagree with your statement.

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2021 5:01 AM

I thought JLaw is a big contender?

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2021 5:12 AM

only on DL so far r34.

No other site seems to be as crazy for her as on here. (It might just be one person who keeps posting)

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2021 5:20 AM

Regarding WSS, I think it's always been that studios prefer to release their films as close to the end of the year as possible. That way, they're fresher in the voters' minds come nomination time.

I think a perfect example of this is Jennifer Hudson, who seems to have fallen out of the best actress conversation despite being an early favorite for her work in "Respect." Granted, critics didn't like the film as much as her performance but the same can be said for Gaga (bad reviews for the film, great notices for her performance); however, "Respect" played over the summer and is already forgotten whereas "Gucci" was released this past week (and is a box office hit), so Gaga is bound to be nominated over Hudson even if the performance was no stronger.

One would assume that this is why WSS is being held until the last minute.

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2021 5:28 AM

You're insane if you think J Law is not getting nominated. She has to be nominated They paid her 25 million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2021 5:31 AM

As I expected r37 is responsible for almost all the pro-Jennifer Lawrence posts on here proclaiming she's a shoo in for a nomination

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2021 5:53 AM

Will Lin-Manuel Miranda have a contender in the best song category for "Encanto"? If so, that may mean a face-off between him and Ariana Grande, who appears likely to be nominated for her song from "Don't Look Up," thereby setting up one of the most-watched races of the night in a non-acting category.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2021 6:02 AM

Winners:

Best Actress: Jessica Chastain Best Actor: Will Smith Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst or Judi Dench Best Supporting Actor: Jamie Dorian

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2021 6:56 AM

Will Smith's film bombed. Plus they hate Jada. He's done.

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2021 4:22 PM

Erm, Jessica Shitstain is well and truly out of this race. The film sucked, nobody saw it, nobody cared.

Next!

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2021 6:14 PM

Jennifer Hudson already has an oscar for playing a similar role. That and the movie itself not being very good hurt her chances.

DiCaprio might still get in but the buzz surrounding Don't Look Up has evaporated. Jennifer and Meryl's buzz has also disappeared. The woman from King Richard and Kirsten Dunst are getting a lot of buzz.

If Streep doesn't get a nomination this year, it will be her longest stretch without a nomination in thirty years!

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2021 6:27 PM

How could the buzz evaporate for Don't Look Up...it hasn't even come out yet.

If anything the buzz for King Richard has evaporated since its huge failure at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2021 6:30 PM

I saw Power of the Dog, C'mon C'mon, and Licorice Pizza all this past week.

Loved all three, but Power of the Dog is the awards heavy hitter. I can see Joaquin getting an acting nod (I wish they still did Juvenile Oscars because the kid in C'mon C'mon was amazing) or PTA getting a script nod.

Benedict Cumberbatch, of all people, gave an incredible performance. Knocked me out. I hope he gets nominated and wins - I also hink Jane Campion has director in the bag. Gorgeously done film. Kirsten Dunst's role is a lot more subtle, but I can see her pulling in supporting as well.

by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2021 6:31 PM

It’s too bad for Jennifer Hudson, but it’s too soon for a biopic of Aretha. She was sui generis and inimitable. Too many of us remember her for anyone to be able to portray her and come across as anything other than a letdown. They need to wait at least another generation.

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2021 6:34 PM

Did anyone else like Bergman Island? I really enjoyed it and thought Vicky Kreips was excellent in it.

by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2021 6:35 PM

I think the acting winners will be Benedict, Nicole, Jonah Hill (shockingly) and supporting I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 48November 28, 2021 6:37 PM

[quote]King Richard has lost so much of its hype and momentum once it tanked at the box-office. I think it stands little chance of winning BP.

Totally agree. It was a nice enough movie but it really was a WS showcase. The little girls playing Venus and Serena and Jon Bernthal were both very good though, and I could see any of them sneaking in for a supporting nom.

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2021 6:52 PM

Chastain is absolutely in with a chance. She’s been at several SAG screenings and they’ve sent DVDS out as well as making it available digitally. She’s getting a SAG nomination.

I liked Bergman Island but thought it was pretentious. Krieps was OK. Mia Wasikowska’s tiny titties were truly alarming.

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2021 6:53 PM

I still can’t believe Mia Wasikowska‘s character thought that white sheer dress was a good choice to wear to a wedding.

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2021 6:54 PM

I also thought using the real life inhabitants of Bergman Island was a mistake. Even in Swedish I could tell that their line readings were amateurish. They should have used seasoned character actors for those roles.

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2021 6:58 PM

What could hurt Will's oscar chances is Richard's kid from his first marriage coming out and saying that he was a deadbeat dad who abandoned his first family and left them in poverty. And that the movie sanitizes his image.

Ouch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote] The film sucked, nobody saw it, nobody cared.

That really doesn't matter for nominations, because they will send out screeners or provide screenings.

by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2021 7:25 PM

You'd be surprised how many Academy members don't watch all the screeners they get and just vote for their friends or name recognition or who they think deserves an Oscar in general.

by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2021 8:21 PM

R55, that's why I don't get why people are always screaming about the "purity" of the Oscars being lost in these last few years. There was never that much "purity" in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2021 8:55 PM

I'll stake my claim here that Chastain will be overlooked for that dreck where she dresses up like Fat Monica from Friends.

No impact.

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2021 9:02 PM

So Jennifer apparently doesn't have the big Oscar clip in Don't look up so that may mean she won't be nominated as it's an extremely competitive best actress race. I feel that Jennifer Hudson does not deserve a nomination for Respect. Disregarding the bland and obvious film, her performance is not strong. Never once did I think I was watching Aretha. That's a problem. I think she will miss out and she should miss out. Lady Gaga will absolutely be nominated for best actress. It's a great, fun performance in a film people will enjoy. Do I think she completely disappears? No. But I don't think it matters. Nicole, Kirsten, Lady Gaga are definitely .And Olivia too. Penelope or Jessica for the last slot. Which is a shame because although the film isn't amazing, Jessica really is. Will, Benedict, Denzel, Andrew seem like locks, with Leo coming up from the back. Obviously some of this is up for grabs at this stage. But anyone saying Lady Gag won't be nominated is wrong. She will be and actually deserves to be.

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2021 9:03 PM

What are Linda Lavin's chances of getting a nomination for Being the Ricardos?

Also, Karen Grassle is up for Not to Forget

by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2021 9:04 PM

Karen Grassle starred in one of the most iconic tv shows of all time.

She deserves an oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 60November 28, 2021 9:05 PM

Gaga*

by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote]Gaga for Best Actress. To get the younger ones and the gays to watch!!

I agree. If Gaga is nominated, it will be strictly for the ratings, nothing more. Yes, she got good reviews for that mess of a movie but being worthy of an Oscar (particularly over much more seasoned and deserving actresses like Kidman and Colman) is something else entirely. But having her in the running will be great for getting people to tune in at least.

by Anonymousreply 62November 28, 2021 9:45 PM

I'll bet Gaga wins the Golden Globe because they know she'll show up.

by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2021 9:49 PM

I actually disagree with this. She is not getting a nomination over Kidman or Colman. They will be nominated. And I think saying BO doesn't make a difference especially in this case is false. The first adult film to generate BO will not be ignored. But either should Gaga. Universally praised by critics- it's a fantastic performance.

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote]with Leo coming up from the back

If there's one thing Leo knows how to do, it's come up from the back.

by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2021 9:56 PM

So far, I have only two extreme long-shots I'm rooting for: Rebecca Ferguson in Dune and Ben Affleck in The Last Duel. The latter is completely out of the running, but I'm still hoping for Ferguson - she gave that movie more emotional resonance than anybody else in the film.

by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2021 10:11 PM

[quote] Also, Karen Grassle is up for Not to Forget

Now, I understand why, all of a sudden, she has tried to "Me, too!" Michael Landon.

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2021 10:28 PM

JLaw is nothin' special in "Don't Look Up", so a nomination isn't guaranteed, except maybe the Golden Globes. Gaga is going to wipe out all the competition. For Best Actor, I'm going to stick with my original prediction-Andrew Garfield for TTB.

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2021 10:34 PM

Aren't the Golden Globes cancelled this year?

by Anonymousreply 69November 28, 2021 10:35 PM

r69, I believe the GGs are still handing out awards this year, but it won't be telecast and nobody will go; the winners will probably be announced in a news presentation, as happened in 2008 for the 65th GGs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 28, 2021 10:43 PM

Just out of first screening of West Side Story in NY. Well, I thought it was something of a disappointment for various reasons. One thing it does get right that the original film didn’t, in my opinion, was Maria and Tony. Especially Maria. Rachel Zegler is absolutely spectacular in every department. Ansel Elgort’s obviously not a trained singer but he’s fine. I believed them as tragic lovers. The rest of the castwere just OK, nothing more. I think it was a mistake to have Rita Moreno play a replacement for Doc-it’s far more than just a cameo, by the way-she sings all of “Somewhere”, for starters. I miss Doc hollering at the Jets “Yiu make this world lousy!” Instead she yells at them something like “I know all your names. I’ve known you since you were little boys. And you’ve all grown up to be rapists.” Except they don’t rape Anita although they’re very close to doing it when Valentina walks in. Even though a fair amount was shot on location it all looks like it might as well have been done on a Hollywood soundstage. Even “America” which was shot primarily in Washington Heights. I did enjoy the subway train (was it then the IRT) at 72nd/Broadway actually doing those three notes from “Somewhere.” It was subtle, though, not the wink-wink it could have been. The biggest applause at the screening was given when Rachel Zegler, Rita Moreno and, of course, Stephen Sondheim’s names appeared on the screen. There is a dedication “For Dad” but surely Spielberg is going to add another one for Sondheim? Anyway, man, I really wanted to love this more. But at least it has a Maria who almost single-handedly justifies why WSS even needed a remake in the first place.

I see it getting Oscar nominations for Best Picture (because of it’s cache), Zegler and cinematography. I struggle to see it getting any more than that. Go see for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2021 2:40 AM

R71 If Rita Moreno has a song and a sizable part, I could see her getting a supporting nod, just because she is Rita Moreno. Unless, you thought she bad?

by Anonymousreply 72November 29, 2021 2:45 AM

What about Viola's women in prison movie coming up with Sandra Bullock.

does Viola suffer enough in that one? What bodily fluid does she ooze this time.

She did better with her snotty crying roles.

That greasy blues singer last year made me gag slightly. Poor Viola

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2021 3:28 AM

[quote]I miss Doc hollering at the Jets “Yiu make this world lousy!”

That type of anti-Asian bigotry would never stand in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 74November 29, 2021 3:49 AM

The supporting categories seem kind of weak this year.

by Anonymousreply 75November 29, 2021 6:13 AM

r71, there’s Jeremy someone on Twitter who posted a “review” of WSS, and his is the polar opposite of yours.

“The new #WestSideStory is absolutely fantastic, clearly a ton of love and care went into it, and while the entire cast is phenomenal, Rita Moreno is the heart of the whole thing and the orchestrations are beautiful, a film ABSOLUTELY worth seeing in theaters.”

So nothing definitive yet. By the way, here was Lynn Stairmaster after seeing the movie of Les Mis: “It’s 100% successful, absolutely great on every level”. There have been others as well …

by Anonymousreply 76November 29, 2021 6:26 AM

Didn't Lynn Stairmaster predict Madonna would get a Best Director nomination for W.E.

Haven't seen him around her in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 77November 29, 2021 6:28 AM

I love Lynn! Glad to see Lynn posting again.

Sure his predictions are wacky and out there, but he clearly loves and appreciated film.

As do I.

by Anonymousreply 78November 29, 2021 6:56 AM

The Sandra Bullock Viola move has had mixed reviews. Don't think it will do anything .

by Anonymousreply 79November 29, 2021 11:12 AM

Isn’t Viola playing an African war queen next?! It’s going to be ‘Africa this, Africa that’ next year

by Anonymousreply 80November 29, 2021 11:29 AM

Rita Moreno is 89. How is her singing voice?

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2021 11:45 AM

I didn’t think Rita Moreno was bad at all, she’s sweet and funny (although her accent gets to be a tad too similar to Googie Gomez at times). I just thought it wasn’t a good idea for her new character Valentina replacing Doc. I guess she could slip into the Supporting category. And Kushner probably could slip into the Adapted Screenplay category..

The opinion I posted above is mine. I can see others loving it. I didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 82November 29, 2021 12:54 PM

R81, her singing voice is fine. It doesn’r have the power it once had but it’s still fine.

by Anonymousreply 83November 29, 2021 12:56 PM

I liked the smaller, discreet,less crowded 2021 ceremony in April, I wish the 2022 ceremony would be similar.

by Anonymousreply 84November 29, 2021 1:41 PM

I liked it too, R84. The only thing I did NOT like was that they didn’t show any clips of the nominated performances. That was so fucking dumb.

by Anonymousreply 85November 29, 2021 1:47 PM

Yeah, that was sad R85, the clips are part of the fun.

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2021 1:50 PM

Lynn Stairmaster always has weird, unrepresentative opinions come Oscar time. Someone should do a thread about all the movies he’s thought were sure fire Oscar bait/sweeps that sank in ignominy.

by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2021 5:21 PM

The only Lynn Stairmaster I remember was the "everyone in Les Mis will get an Oscar nomination, including the little kid." Predicting the kid was obviously nutty, but as much as people justifiably hate that movie, it wasn't an Oscar failure.

by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote]Viola playing an African war queen

Hey, I'm here for this. At least it won't be the same old shit and might have an interesting story we haven't heard before.

by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2021 7:17 PM

Do African war queens suffer enough though?

I'm sure Viola will have a moment where she is alone removes her crown, drops her spear and sobs about how difficult her life is.

Poor Viola.

by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2021 8:16 PM

Will This Year’s Oscars Best Picture Be a Feel-Good or Serious Flick?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 29, 2021 9:34 PM

I finally watched Spencer—beautifully made and perfectly awful. Diana was miswritten, miscast, and misdirected, and it leaves a gaping hole at the center of the film. (And what’s up with the casting of QEII? Yikes!) Stewart comes across as playing someone French, not English. (Maybe Larrain should have tried a biopic of Anne Boleyn instead, actually.)

It’s really a shame.

by Anonymousreply 92November 29, 2021 11:50 PM

Did I smell the Viola troll?

by Anonymousreply 93November 30, 2021 12:12 AM

I think Rita will get a nomination. Because she's a beloved star, because this might be her last big screen movie. And it would be a fitting bookend to her first win for the same movie.

by Anonymousreply 94November 30, 2021 1:42 AM

There are far too many deserving female performances this year to give Rita a charity nomination.

by Anonymousreply 95November 30, 2021 1:46 AM

R95 in supporting?

by Anonymousreply 96November 30, 2021 1:49 AM

"The Lost Daughter" Tops Gotham Awards:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 30, 2021 4:36 AM

Viola troll is retarded and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 98November 30, 2021 7:26 AM

R60 "Karen Grassle starred in one of the most iconic tv shows of all time.

She deserves an oscar nomination."

That's not a reason to nominate someone for an Oscar, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 99November 30, 2021 7:27 AM

I used to watch reruns of Little House on the prairie two yesrs ago and I Karen Grassle had retired already.

She was only five years younger than Landon, but he missed entirely the Internet/cd roms/dvds/streaming and smartphone era while she is still going strong and working. That's what is sad about people losing their lives so early.

by Anonymousreply 100November 30, 2021 8:15 AM

Feinberg's latest predictions. WSS has moved up in the rankings:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101November 30, 2021 1:18 PM

I think Rita Moreno could sneak in for WSS based on what I’ve been hearing from last night’s premiere.

by Anonymousreply 102November 30, 2021 1:20 PM

I'd take a lot of the reaction to WSS with a grain of salt. The reactions are mostly out of the premiere, and those are often ridiculously overheated.

by Anonymousreply 103November 30, 2021 3:30 PM

Yeah, and Sondheim goodwill.

by Anonymousreply 104November 30, 2021 4:39 PM

I think there will be a big disconnect between the New York and the L.A. reactions to the movie, since it screened in both cities last night. New York had the premiere, it was Sondheim's home turf, and New Yorkers get very sentimental about the city in a way that doesn't play the same elsewhere. WSS will definitely cause people to trot out the hoary cliché about how New York is like a character in the movie.

I saw it in Los Angeles, and the audience reaction wasn't overwhelming. There was a lot of clapping after the Jets song, probably because I think people were excited to get a big musical number, then a smattering of it after some of the other early songs, but it essentially died out until the end credits.

by Anonymousreply 105November 30, 2021 5:33 PM

As someone who is a major department store fan/amateur historian, I will see WWS, if for no reason, because it features a recreation of a Gimbels.

by Anonymousreply 106November 30, 2021 5:37 PM

R105, that’s how it was at my screening in NY. A good amount of applause and then just smatterings of it after the other musical numbers. And not big applause when it ended. The audience I was with for a Tick Tick Boom screening went nuts at several points, especially during and after the “Sunday” number.

by Anonymousreply 107November 30, 2021 5:57 PM

R106, it’s used only for “I Feel Pretty,” beachwear and bridal display departments. And then the loading dock when Chino tells Maria that Tony killed Bernardo.

by Anonymousreply 108November 30, 2021 5:59 PM

Does Tony survive in this version?

by Anonymousreply 109November 30, 2021 7:01 PM

R108 It's better than nothing. One of my big disappointments, in childhood, was getting to visit NYC and realizing Gimbels no longer existed.

by Anonymousreply 110November 30, 2021 7:12 PM

R107, tell us again how brilliant Les Mis is and how it will sweep the awards!

by Anonymousreply 111November 30, 2021 7:31 PM

Fuck off, R111.

Les Miserables got eight Oscar nominations.

Just in case you forgot.

by Anonymousreply 112November 30, 2021 8:08 PM

R110

I had an interview in NYC for an internship the week Gimbels was closing and it was the only other thing to do on my agenda as I had just come in by Amtrak train for the day. By the time I arrived it was already a wasteland and I don’t think I even bought anything because the lines were outrageous, despite wanting to get a shopping bag. Very dejected I then walked on to Penn Station and took an earlier train home and beat rush hour. I did get the internship though, at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

by Anonymousreply 113November 30, 2021 11:38 PM

The early buzz on Nightmare Alley is that's its underwhelming. Cate Blanchett is the only likely acting nomination.

Blanchett is said to be wonderful in both Nightmare Alley and Don't Look Up, so if she gets a nomination it could put her as the favorite to win.

by Anonymousreply 114November 30, 2021 11:59 PM

I don’t think anyone from Don’t Look Up will be nominated for acting.

I also don’t think Care will be nominated for Nightmare Alley.

It seems like best actress is battle of the biopics, plus Olivia Colman and Olivia Cruise.

Power of the Dog is the best film, and I hope Benedict Cumberbatch wins.

by Anonymousreply 115December 1, 2021 12:11 AM

^ Penelope Cruz

by Anonymousreply 116December 1, 2021 12:12 AM

R113 I would have been dejected as well.

by Anonymousreply 117December 1, 2021 12:58 AM

Cate already has two oscars. They're not giving her a third.

Rita Moreno for Best Supporting Actress. It's the story of the year!

by Anonymousreply 118December 1, 2021 1:16 AM

That unfortunate looking Haim sister is getting some awards buzz for Licorice Pizza but I've heard mixed reviews about the film itself.

by Anonymousreply 119December 1, 2021 1:49 AM

They said that about Frances McDormand last year, R118, and she still took him a third acting award in the same year everyone expected that she would also get an Oscar for producing. If voters want to give Cate Blanchett a third, they will.

And I'm really skeptical of any Oscar campaign where it's more about the story than the performance itself. We all saw what happened with Chadwick Boseman last year, and "Black Panther died tragically and made everyone sad" was a lot more compelling a narrative than "let's give the same woman an Oscar for the same movie, only sixty years apart." That's not a good story, that's trivia.

by Anonymousreply 120December 1, 2021 2:17 AM

Cate won’t even be nominated

by Anonymousreply 121December 1, 2021 2:26 AM

But Marion Cotillard wasn't even nominated for Nine.

We remember you Lynn Stairmaster.

by Anonymousreply 122December 1, 2021 2:51 AM

[quote] "let's give the same woman an Oscar for the same movie, only sixty years apart." That's not a good story, that's trivia.

Rita Moreno is more than "the same woman." For one thing, she is an older woman of color who has developed a very activist persona. She is a perfect candidate for woke twitter to go crazy over. She is also a producer of this version, who helped to make it non "racist."

At the same time it is a nomination and win that wouldn't upset older viewers, because they like her. It is more than trivia. Also, Hollywood loves a feel good sentimental moment, RM winning would provide that in spades.

by Anonymousreply 123December 1, 2021 2:52 AM

Moreno is the only thing I'm curious about seeing. Otherwise it's like why watch a remake of a classic? It would be nice for her to get nominated (especially when no one else seems to be standing out in the category.)

I like it when famous people win. Great some woman from Korea won but who the hell was she? I want stars!!! Gaga!!! Kidman!!! Leo!!!!

by Anonymousreply 124December 1, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote]Rita Moreno is more than "the same woman." For one thing, she is an older woman of color

I love her, but she's a white woman. White Latinos exist. There are photos of her parents floating around and they're white too. Her grandparents were Spaniards. She's spicy white, but she's not a woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 125December 1, 2021 5:01 AM

R123, it's increasingly clear that Oscar voters don't give a shit about a feel good sentimental moment. Chadwick Boseman's loss last year should have put a stake through that idea, which was already on its deathbed even before the big upset. Oscar voters chose the old guy who already had an Oscar and didn't even bother to show up, simply because they liked his performance better. And Woke Twitter was enraged by that for a couple days, yet I doubt a single Academy member who supported Anthony Hopkins would even consider changing their vote to placate those jackals.

I stand by what I wrote: if you're only talking about the narrative in regards to an Oscar campaign, that campaign is in trouble. The performance has to back it up, and Rita Moreno teaching Angel Elgort a bit of Spanish, singing a song that really shouldn't belong to her, then yelling at the Jets in the movie's most ill-conceived scene just doesn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 126December 1, 2021 5:05 AM

Who will be the mandatory Black actors in each of the four acting categories? I need to know now!

by Anonymousreply 127December 1, 2021 5:15 AM

R124, I think the best Oscars have an eclectic mix of that. The ideal is a mix like the winners for 2000 releases. Hollywood's biggest star (Julia Roberts), a serious actor who proved himself at the box office (Russell Crowe), a quirky character actor who has been on the rise for a while (Benecio Del Toro) and an underappreciated character actress who finally, and surprisingly, gets her due (Marcia Gay Harden).

We don't the Oscars to be the People's Choice Awards, but we don't want them to be the L.A. Film Critics either. Every Oscar for a Youn Yuh-jung demands one for a Brad Pitt, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 128December 1, 2021 5:16 AM

Julia used to be a big star

by Anonymousreply 129December 1, 2021 5:19 AM

It really was the pictures that got small in her case r129

by Anonymousreply 130December 1, 2021 5:28 AM

I've just watched the clip of Tony and Maria singing "Tonight" in the new WSS and it is appalling. Rachel Zegler's voice is pretty but helium-thin, and Ansel Elgort sucks all the life out of every shot. It was community theater production levels of bad.

by Anonymousreply 131December 1, 2021 6:22 AM

[quote]The performance has to back it up, and Rita Moreno teaching Angel Elgort a bit of Spanish, singing a song that really shouldn't belong to her, then yelling at the Jets in the movie's most ill-conceived scene just doesn't do it

A lot of people have now weighed in on WSS '21 by this point. Most of them are extremely positive, and many of them are calling Rita Moreno the "heart" or the "soul" of the movie. So go on, keep up with your anti-WSS campaign if it makes you feel good (it obviously does), but no one gives a shit what you have to say, nor does anyone believe your constipated opinions about the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 132December 1, 2021 9:29 AM

[quote]So go on, keep up with your anti-WSS campaign if it makes you feel good (it obviously does), but no one gives a shit what you have to say, nor does anyone believe your constipated opinions about the Oscars.

I've seen the film. My opinion counts more than yours.

And if that's your reaction to someone doubting Rita Moreno's Oscar chances, you need serious therapy for whatever personality disorder has made you so unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 133December 1, 2021 2:26 PM

R123 I don’t agree. They still love sentiment or he wouldn’t have been nominated. The Oscars are known for giving posthumous nominations but they rarely award them the prize. In the acting categories it has only happened twice.

by Anonymousreply 134December 1, 2021 2:39 PM

R134, perhaps instead of saying that voters don't give a shit about a sentimental moment, it might be fairer to say that sentiment can only take you so far, In that case, I don't think our positions are that far off.

I'm finally watching The Power of the Dog, and will finally get to see if the poster who has been so skeptical of Kirsten Dunst's Oscar hopes has a point.

by Anonymousreply 135December 1, 2021 3:07 PM

I’m 4/5 of the way done with reading Power of the Dog and 1/3 of the way into the movie and both are phenomenal, but part of me is terrified about what’s to happen.

by Anonymousreply 136December 1, 2021 3:59 PM

R136, the film follows the novel very closely. I would finish the book first; it makes for even richer viewing, especially knowing what’s going to happen (which came as a shock to me when I finished the book).

by Anonymousreply 137December 1, 2021 4:01 PM

R119 "On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 92% of 84 reviews are positive, with an average rating of 8.4/10"

by Anonymousreply 138December 1, 2021 8:27 PM

So BA is something like : Zegler, Colman, Kidman, Gaga, Chastain?

Or? Cruz over Zelger or Gaga?

by Anonymousreply 139December 1, 2021 8:57 PM

I think Jessica Chastain is vulnerable but I would prefer her over Lady GoatGoat

Nicole for the surprise snub, once people watch the film

by Anonymousreply 140December 1, 2021 9:24 PM

Plenty of people have seen the film, r140. That’s what got the Kidman Oscar buzz really going, from all the raves about her performance from people who’ve seen it, both critics and non.

by Anonymousreply 141December 1, 2021 9:32 PM

McDormand won a third (and fourth) because she's well liked in the industry and has a very self-effacing and down to earth personality.

Cate Blanchett, by contrast, comes off as a snob who thinks she's above many of her peers. She's also snarky, and not in a lovable way, but in cold mean-spirited manner. She used her second oscar win to insult Sandra Bullock. Total bitch move.

Those aren't the types who win more than two, if they're lucky to even get two.

by Anonymousreply 142December 1, 2021 9:34 PM

This year is going to suck HARD.

by Anonymousreply 143December 1, 2021 9:35 PM

Why, r143? What makes you say that?

by Anonymousreply 144December 1, 2021 9:54 PM

So Feinberg catapults WSS to the top of just about every category - even putting Elgort in pole position just outside of the Top 5. Ha! Awards season has become too much about hype. Every week this year from In The Heights to whatever's coming out this weekend it's always "the best", etc. and then by Monday morning it's completely deflated - no one is pitching Anthony Ramos for an Oscar now, are they?

The reason why people are less and less interested in the Oscars is that it's all so pre-ordained, nothing happens in an authentic way. Audiences don't even get to see the performance and it's already been hyped out of all probability. There's no effort to ENGAGE. And then these films just bomb or disappear but they still use the same angle - "...oh no, THIS ONE is THE BEST THING EVER!" It's all just hype.

by Anonymousreply 145December 1, 2021 10:07 PM

At least Licorice Pizza seems to be ignored in the awards buzz. It totally sucks.

by Anonymousreply 146December 1, 2021 10:22 PM

I’ve been snubbed before 🤡

by Anonymousreply 147December 1, 2021 10:59 PM

[quote]The reason why people are less and less interested in the Oscars is that it's all so pre-ordained

True, though I don't think it's the fault of the Oscars. For the last 20 years or so, there have been so many pre-award shows (Globes, SAG, etc.) with the same winners that took all of the surprise out of the process, so by the time the Oscars airs in late February/early March, interest has been reduced to near zero because we already know who will be taking the podium. And what can the Academy do about it? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 148December 1, 2021 11:03 PM

I would bet money McDormand will make the BA list. She’s doing Shakespeare and what looks like adventurous Shakespeare, after a career playing earthy everyday salt of the earth women.

[quote] The reason why people are less and less interested in the Oscars is that it's all so pre-ordained, nothing happens in an authentic way.

The very fun Parasite year wasn’t too long ago!

by Anonymousreply 149December 1, 2021 11:07 PM

At least two of last year’s acting Oscars were pretty big surprises.

by Anonymousreply 150December 1, 2021 11:08 PM

I’m still happy Hopkins won. I watched The Father last minute the day of the awards and the end left me a teary mess. “I want my mummy”

by Anonymousreply 151December 1, 2021 11:09 PM

You're right, R149. "Parasite" winning was a nice surprise.

by Anonymousreply 152December 1, 2021 11:10 PM

[quote]The reason why people are less and less interested in the Oscars is that it's all so pre-ordained, nothing happens in an authentic way.

Last year was the best show they've had in a long time, if only because there were no "locks" and several categories were anybody's guess. THAT'S what the academy needs.

This year it seems like it's back to the lame "locks" and the same people winning fifty times in a row. Expect ratings to be even worse.

by Anonymousreply 153December 1, 2021 11:14 PM

He certainly looked like one, r151.

by Anonymousreply 154December 1, 2021 11:14 PM

Parasite was shit.

by Anonymousreply 155December 1, 2021 11:16 PM

If awards shows are to survive, someone needs to find some sort of middle ground, between the Oscars where only a select few get to vote and the People's Choice awards where anyone can vote.

by Anonymousreply 156December 1, 2021 11:23 PM

I don’t think awards shows are as relevant anymore, nor are stars. Everything is streaming and movie theaters are going towards extinction.

by Anonymousreply 157December 1, 2021 11:33 PM

R157 Music awards are still holding up, they have had declines in viewership, but not as steep as the Oscars. But, I think that is because the Grammys, AMAs, CMAs, ACMs, Billboard Music Awards, MTV Awards, CMT awards, BET awards, etc... are built more around the performances and entertaining the audience, instead of just handing out awards.

by Anonymousreply 158December 1, 2021 11:37 PM

Yeah the Tony's and Grammys are much more fun to watch cause there are musical performances. Cant really have actors get on stage and recreate their scenes.

by Anonymousreply 159December 1, 2021 11:58 PM

R159 I have always thought the Oscars and Emmys would be better served by having stars appear in short filmed segments/sketches as famous characters from film/tv history or in character as their nominated characters.

by Anonymousreply 160December 2, 2021 12:15 AM

Is this part of the marketing campaign for “Don’t Look Up?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 2, 2021 6:14 AM

So the last unseen potential contender, The Nightmare Alley, was screened yesterday and it kinda flopped? Blanchett is the only possibility and even that is unlikely. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 162December 2, 2021 8:27 AM

R146 Hasn't seen Licorice Pizza.

by Anonymousreply 163December 2, 2021 8:32 AM

R155 Your face is shit.

by Anonymousreply 164December 2, 2021 8:33 AM

R162 Huh? I read a bunch of raves for Bradley Cooper

by Anonymousreply 165December 2, 2021 8:52 AM

[quote]Parasite was shit.

Sorry not every movie is the cinematic masterpiece I'm sure you thought "A Star Is Born" was.

by Anonymousreply 166December 2, 2021 9:47 AM

R166 Hmm, no A star is born is was fucking nightmare....I ve been watching asian cinema since 2003 and that fake hype for asian cinema lately is disgraceful and pathetic. Movies from asia are in deep shit recent times

by Anonymousreply 167December 2, 2021 12:16 PM

I saw Parasite on opening weekend and it was fun to be taken by surprise. It led me to Memories of Murder, a truly great film. I can’t begrudge Parasite the Oscar especially considering the quality of the films it beat.

by Anonymousreply 168December 2, 2021 12:48 PM

Chastain, Stewart , Gaga,Kidman, Colman,Cruz going for the win in Satelite Awards.

by Anonymousreply 169December 2, 2021 2:15 PM

THR reviews "Nightmare Alley":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 2, 2021 2:53 PM

Which Films Lead the Biggest Best-Picture Race in Years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 2, 2021 3:02 PM

I can't believe someone is writing down "woke" on this thread. Please stop this. It's boring and shows what a shallow person you must be. Does it get on anyone else's nerves?

by Anonymousreply 172December 2, 2021 3:38 PM

r172, it depends on how the person is using it: if they approve of wokism, then, yeah, I find it repellent; if they're disparaging wokism, then I'm all for it.

by Anonymousreply 173December 2, 2021 3:56 PM

I think there should be a motion to block West Side Story from being nominated as a best movie contender. If this was Broadway it would be in the Best Revival category at the Tonys and not the main category. This is a very straightforward interpretation that adheres closely to the original, there is nothing transformative or reimagined to justify this taking a slot from a new totally unique movie when the original film already has an Oscar.

Something like The Tragedy of MacBeth would be fine as it takes it to a new dimension having them much older. Even Dune, because it only covers a part of the original film to me is fine, it is so much different from the first one, WSS not. I’m actually surprised the Academy hasn’t stumbled upon making a Best Remake category since that’s all Hollywood seems to be able to do most of the time. They could also pigeon hole things like the Spiderman movies into this since hey are basically photocopied entities of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 174December 2, 2021 4:00 PM

Yes, I have, R163. Licorice Pizza is terrible, the female lead is fug and so is Philip Seymour Hoffman’s kid. The only good performance in the entire film is one scene where Harriet Sansom Harris plays a Hollywood talent agent.

by Anonymousreply 175December 2, 2021 4:03 PM

Saying you hate Wokism just seems like an easy way to say things were better in the old days. Where everybody knew their place and the status quo was rarely questioned. Of course it's swinging to the other side now- maybe too far- but really a lot of it is about trying to level the playing field after years of sexism and prejudice that was institutional. It's easy to just call something or someone woke, harder to engage in a conversation about it. Not that I expect anyone that uses that term in a disparaging way to do that.

by Anonymousreply 176December 2, 2021 4:03 PM

Being woke also bothers the grammar trolls.

Past tense as present must make them claw their faces.

by Anonymousreply 177December 2, 2021 4:06 PM

And also finding wokism as being so repellent, but prejudice not, says it all for me.

by Anonymousreply 178December 2, 2021 4:06 PM

R174, the NYT writer whose article I posted at R171 says this regarding WSS:

[quote]Spielberg’s savvy reimagining of the source material marries old-school sweep with contemporary concerns, putting the movie right in Oscar voters’ sweet spot.

That's not to suggest your view is inaccurate, just that it's already clear that this remake is going to really divide people regarding its take on the material.

by Anonymousreply 179December 2, 2021 4:07 PM

I don't really want to see West Side Story. Maybe when it is free somewhere but I've seen the movie, the revivial from 10 years ago or so, the 6th grade production when I was in first grade. That's enough.

Maybe I'll just fast forward to see how Rita Moreno does.

by Anonymousreply 180December 2, 2021 4:11 PM

R178, nobody said that they don’t find prejudice repellent.

by Anonymousreply 181December 2, 2021 4:15 PM

Analysis: Oscar Race Comes Into Focus as Last Unseen Contenders, ‘West Side Story’ and ‘Nightmare Alley,’ Finally Screen:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 2, 2021 4:23 PM

THR reviews "West Side Story":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183December 2, 2021 4:24 PM

[quote] If voters want to give Cate Blanchett a third, they will.

But they aren't going to, not this year and not for a del Toro film of so-so quality. The reviews are decent but not raving, the movie won't make huge BO. No nom for Cate, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 184December 2, 2021 5:45 PM

NBR Beat Actress Rachel Ziegler, yeah right!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 2, 2021 6:30 PM

The full list of 2021 National Board of Review winners is below.

Best Film: LICORICE PIZZA

Best Director: Paul Thomas Anderson, LICORICE PIZZA

Best Actor: Will Smith, KING RICHARD

Best Actress: Rachel Zegler, WEST SIDE STORY

Best Supporting Actor: Ciarán Hinds, BELFAST

Best Supporting Actress: Aunjanue Ellis, KING RICHARD

Best Original Screenplay: Asghar Farhadi, A HERO

Best Adapted Screenplay: Joel Coen, THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH

Breakthrough Performance: Alana Haim & Cooper Hoffman, LICORICE PIZZA

Best Directorial Debut: Michael Sarnoski, PIG

Best Animated Feature: ENCANTO

Best Foreign Language Film: A HERO

Best Documentary: SUMMER OF SOUL (…OR, WHEN THE REVOLUTION COULD NOT BE TELEVISED)

Best Ensemble: THE HARDER THEY FALL

Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography: Bruno Delbonnel, THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH

NBR Freedom of Expression Award: FLEE

Top Films (in alphabetical order)

Belfast

Don’t Look Up

Dune

King Richard

The Last Duel

Nightmare Alley

Red Rocket

The Tragedy of Macbeth

West Side Story

Top 5 Foreign Language Films (in alphabetical order)

Benedetta

Lamb

Lingui, The Sacred Bonds

Titane

The Worst Person in the World

Top 5 Documentaries (in alphabetical order)

Ascension

Attica

Flee

The Rescue

Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain

Top 10 Independent Films (in alphabetical order)

The Card Counter

C’mon C’mon

CODA

The Green Knight

Holler

Jockey

Old Henry

Pig

Shiva Baby

The Souvenir Part II

by Anonymousreply 186December 2, 2021 6:57 PM

Quite an array of choices from the NBR. This may be an interesting year after all.

by Anonymousreply 187December 2, 2021 7:12 PM

Licorice Park? Well, no fucking way will it win the Best Picture Oscar. This is just a circle jerk for Paul Thomas Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 188December 2, 2021 7:18 PM

Now you will not shut Jada up until April 2022.

by Anonymousreply 189December 2, 2021 7:21 PM

Being the Ricardos snubbed for best picture by NBR

by Anonymousreply 190December 2, 2021 7:46 PM

How #NBR compares to #Oscars, by category. (These stats cover the last 12 years, since the BP ballot expanded from 5.)

PICTURE -10/12 NBR winners nominated: Most Violent Year, Da 5 Bloods snubbed

-1/12 NBR winners also won Oscar: only Green Book won both

by Anonymousreply 191December 2, 2021 7:54 PM

And Licorice Pizza will make it 10/13.

by Anonymousreply 192December 2, 2021 8:00 PM

Watching Belfast. Comparisons to Roma are very premature. Is this a jukebox or a movie?

The pristine digital black and white is all wrong for this but typical of Kenneth Branagh.

by Anonymousreply 193December 2, 2021 8:16 PM

Does thee NBR list acting nominees like other awards? Be interested to see who might have been up for consideration.

by Anonymousreply 194December 2, 2021 8:31 PM

R194, I just checked their website and it appears they do not share that information, only the list of film nominees.

by Anonymousreply 195December 2, 2021 8:39 PM

NBR also snubbed Power of the Dog, which I am 99% sure will be nominated for best picture and Jane Campion will win for best director.

by Anonymousreply 196December 2, 2021 8:42 PM

Others have said that, too, R196, but based on the WSS reviews, I'm now wondering if Spielberg could be a Campion spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 197December 2, 2021 8:49 PM

r197, I could see the reverse happening: WSS wins Best Picture, Campion wins Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 198December 2, 2021 8:53 PM

[quote] NBR Beat Actress Rachel Ziegler

Well, WSS certainly takes place in the Beat Era, but how interesting that NBR gave it its own category!

by Anonymousreply 199December 2, 2021 10:36 PM

West Side Syory gets a rave from notoriously prickly Justin Chang in the LA Times. So much for “it’s only New Yorkers who will squeal about it!”

by Anonymousreply 200December 2, 2021 10:49 PM

Just watched Power of the Dog.

I really liked it . Felt like an old school movie.

Sort of took my out of my own world for two hours or so. Lovely performances.

by Anonymousreply 201December 2, 2021 11:46 PM

Who is the audience for West Side Story? Gays and the elderly?

by Anonymousreply 202December 3, 2021 12:57 AM

R202 Actually, I suspect teenagers will be a big audience for it, as they have been for the original. Romeo and Juliet is the one Shakespeare play that is still popular among them and West Side Story is based upon it.

by Anonymousreply 203December 3, 2021 1:08 AM

Big Dick Ansel was on the NFL preshow tonight introducing the game.

by Anonymousreply 204December 3, 2021 1:13 AM

R204 was he a charisma black hole on there too?

by Anonymousreply 205December 3, 2021 3:21 AM

So for WSS: Movie. Director. Actress (Zegler) Supporting Actor (Faist) Supporting Actress (DuBose, Moreno). Adapted Screenplay. Cinematography. Production Design. Best Score. So, ten? Or will Sound and/or Sound Mixing take it to 11 or 12?

Power of the Dog: Movie. Director. Actor BC. Supporting Actor KS-M. Supporting Actress KD. Adapted Screenplay. Cinematography. Sound? Maybe 8? Of 9 if Jesse P gets in as well.

by Anonymousreply 206December 3, 2021 6:38 AM

R167 He's been watching asian cinema since 2003, you guys. He knows his shit.

by Anonymousreply 207December 3, 2021 7:55 AM

Supporting Actor KS-M? For what? For walking with bulging eyes?

by Anonymousreply 208December 3, 2021 12:24 PM

He’s a lock, R208. And that category is ALL over the place.

by Anonymousreply 209December 3, 2021 1:09 PM

No, supporting actor Ciaran Hinds!

by Anonymousreply 210December 3, 2021 1:10 PM

R209 no fucking way, Ciaran wins

by Anonymousreply 211December 3, 2021 1:12 PM

Bring that Irish wolfhound up on the stage!

by Anonymousreply 212December 3, 2021 1:13 PM

Piggybacking on r206:

The 1961 WSS received 11 Oscar nominations, winning 10 -- Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Cinematography (Color), Art Direction-Set Decoration (Color), Costume Design (Color), Sound, Film Editing, Scoring of a Musical Picture -- the latter being a category that no longer exists. It lost Adapted Screenplay to Judgment at Nuremberg.

by Anonymousreply 213December 3, 2021 2:08 PM

New York Film Critics Circle is voting now. Kodi Smit-McPhee won Supporting Actor, and The Worst Person in the World took Foreign Film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214December 3, 2021 3:21 PM

More NYFCC:

Flee has been the year’s Best Non-Fiction Film by the New York Film Critics Circle.

Earlier, Kathryn Hunter was named Best Supporting Actress for her performance The Tragedy of Macbeth.

by Anonymousreply 215December 3, 2021 4:22 PM

West Side Story wont win best film.

The Academy will not want the remake to win as the original. They likely want to preserve the status of the original.

by Anonymousreply 216December 3, 2021 4:27 PM

I hope your right, r216, but the Academy has been discarding precedent for a few years now -- witness Parasite.

by Anonymousreply 217December 3, 2021 4:29 PM

Oh, DL will love this.

NYFCC:

Best Actress - Lady Gaga, House of Gucci

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218December 3, 2021 4:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 3, 2021 4:45 PM

NYFCC:

Best Actor - Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog

by Anonymousreply 220December 3, 2021 4:54 PM

NYFCC:

Best Animated Film - The Mitchells vs the Machines

by Anonymousreply 221December 3, 2021 5:03 PM

I had started to doubt Gaga, but that is very helpful to her Oscar chances.

Critic's darling Kristen Stewart hasn't won a major award yet, and she needs those to remain competitive. Let's hope the other major critics' groups continue to ignore her for the awful Spencer.

by Anonymousreply 222December 3, 2021 5:03 PM

The National Board of Review weighed in on Wednesday 12/1/21

Licorice Pizza: Best Film and Director PTA

King Richard: Will Smith Best Actor and Supporting Actress Aunjanie Ellis

Best Actress Rachel Zegler WSS

Supporting Actor Ciaran Hinds Belfast

by Anonymousreply 223December 3, 2021 5:10 PM

The Power of the Dog is holding steady. Big win for KS-M, it ups his chances for a BSA nomination.

Gaga is the hometown favorite with the NYFCC. It's not that big a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 224December 3, 2021 5:11 PM

Fuck you, KS-M

by Anonymousreply 225December 3, 2021 5:14 PM

NYFCC:

Best Director - Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog

by Anonymousreply 226December 3, 2021 5:15 PM

I think it's a pretty big surprise, R224. Gaga is seen as the populist choice and the reviews for House of Gucci were mixed, so a big critics' prize is a bit unexpected. Someone like Penelope Cruz seems like a more typical choice for the New York Critics.

by Anonymousreply 227December 3, 2021 5:31 PM

The NYFCC famously gave the 1998 Best Actress award to Cameron Diaz for There's Something About Mary. She did not go on to an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 228December 3, 2021 5:34 PM

NYFCC:

Best First Film - The Lost Daughter

by Anonymousreply 229December 3, 2021 5:36 PM

NYFCC:

Best Screenplay - Licorice Pizza

by Anonymousreply 230December 3, 2021 5:52 PM

I easily could see GaGa paying $1 million or more to get this prize.

by Anonymousreply 231December 3, 2021 5:58 PM

NYFCC:

Best Cinematography - West Side Story

by Anonymousreply 232December 3, 2021 6:02 PM

Is West Side Story the New Best-Picture Front-Runner?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233December 3, 2021 6:19 PM

NYFCC:

Best Film - Drive My Car

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234December 3, 2021 6:19 PM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 235December 3, 2021 6:24 PM

I’ve heard Drive My Car is awesome, but I don’t think it’s out yet in the US to see for myself.

by Anonymousreply 236December 3, 2021 6:28 PM

r236, I checked justwatch.com and it's not available for streaming, either.

by Anonymousreply 237December 3, 2021 6:35 PM

Kirsten Dunst will not win a single award for her low wattage role in The Power of the Dog.

by Anonymousreply 238December 3, 2021 8:11 PM

She won't but she will raise her profile as a serious actress by being on hand for any ensemble awards and cast presences on the red carpet. Good for her. I like her.

by Anonymousreply 239December 3, 2021 9:42 PM

Gaga is actually loathed by New York critics, R224. Her win is surprising. I was sure she was out of the Oscar convo, but she's back in for now.

I want Dunst to at least get a nomination just because, to me, she's given the single best performance of the century in Melancholia. I was PotD and she's really good. Not good enough to win, but good enough for a nom.

by Anonymousreply 240December 3, 2021 10:19 PM

I will never ever understand the love for Melancholia and Dunst's dull performance. Viewing it, I alternated between sleep, nausea, and wanting to throw tomatoes at the screen.

by Anonymousreply 241December 3, 2021 10:31 PM

My reaction to it wasn't nearly as good as yours, r241.

by Anonymousreply 242December 4, 2021 12:15 AM

Dunst is a contender for POTD. I don’t know what all these Kiki haters are going on about - her performance is integral to the film.

by Anonymousreply 243December 4, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote] West Side Story wont win best film. The Academy will not want the remake to win as the original. They likely want to preserve the status of the original.

Normally, I would agree. But, I think if the twitter activists, and others, really start beating the drum about how the original was "racist." Oscar voters might vote for it as a way to atone for what they feel is Hollywood's historical racism.

by Anonymousreply 244December 4, 2021 12:57 AM

I think WSS might get best film because most people seem to think it's thrilling, and made by a master filmmaker who knows how to use the medium. And it's BD about the Academy feeling loyal to the original. If it gets raves and makes money (jury's out on the money making part), the Academy won't give a shit about the blessed original.

by Anonymousreply 245December 4, 2021 1:00 AM

I've seen Don't Look Up(Thanks, Doug), Power of the Dog and The Last Duel. Don't Look Up deserves to win BP. It's AMAZING! I don't think it will win because it's funny and they like pretentious dramas. I also liked Dog and was surprisingly impressed with The Last Duel, which I think is Ridley Scott's best film since Gladiator.

by Anonymousreply 246December 4, 2021 1:32 AM

Going to screening Monday morning of Nightmare Alley. Bradley Cooper will be at the Q&A. Any question ideas?

by Anonymousreply 247December 4, 2021 12:58 PM

R247 Federer is good in bed?

by Anonymousreply 248December 4, 2021 1:28 PM

Federer and Cooper???? How? When?

by Anonymousreply 249December 4, 2021 3:40 PM

I've seen both. Because I'm super gay I loved WWS. But Don't Look Up is a better film. Leo and Jen will both get nominated. Other than that maybe Jonah Hill but no one else. But WWS is really good. I begrudgingly loved it. I hate the actor. But the girl is wonderful

by Anonymousreply 250December 5, 2021 1:46 AM

I loved Belfast. Sentimental and childlike, but sincere, and it worked because it was through the eyes of a child (literally, in many shots). Everyone is talking about Ciaran Hinds, and I loved him, but Judi Dench was also incredible. The little kid was not a great actor but was adorable without being cloying.

by Anonymousreply 251December 6, 2021 12:36 AM

This looks like Oscar bait and is being released in theaters the last week of December to qualify, I haven’t seen anyone here talking about it. George McKay just gets sexier and sexier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252December 6, 2021 4:21 PM

I was disappointed by NIGHTMARE ALLEY. I had never read the novel or watched the original film so I assumed the film would be macabre or a psychological horror. To me it's just a passable noir film. Beautiful to look at with some fine performances but not great.

by Anonymousreply 253December 6, 2021 4:59 PM

How ‘West Side Story’ Could Make (Even More) Oscar History:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 6, 2021 7:43 PM

Oscar nominations for our two greatest stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 6, 2021 9:04 PM

Went to Don’t Look Up screening tonight with Q&A afterward with DiCaprio, Streep and Hill. I thought the film had its moments but was very hit and miss. DiCaprio is really great, though, I think he’s a slam dunk to be nominated. I don’t think Jennifer Lawrence is, though. She has some funny things to do but her role/performance never reach the manic heights of DiCaprio’s.

by Anonymousreply 256December 7, 2021 2:44 AM

Nightmare Alley really is gorgeously shot but just doesn’t work. Bradley Cooper is miscast. Toni Collette is always great but she doesn’t have enough to do here. Richard Jenkins is wonderful as a wealthy old monster. This will absolutely get nominations for cinematography and production design (Cate Bkanchett’s psychotherapist office is a marvel) and will most likely win the latter.

by Anonymousreply 257December 7, 2021 12:08 PM

Who does Mary Steenbergen play in Nightmare Alley? I just saw the original and the only one I could see her playing is the older woman who’s at one of Stan’s shows whose daughter had died years ago.

by Anonymousreply 258December 7, 2021 1:29 PM

Steenburgen plays a wealthy woman who is the victim of one of the main character's cons. It may be the same character, but I think they change some of the details.

by Anonymousreply 259December 7, 2021 3:39 PM

THR reviews "Don't Look Up":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260December 7, 2021 11:53 PM

R259, yes, she’s one of Cooper’s character’s marks. And she does something shockingly violent at one point which made the audience I was with gasp audibly. She’s in only two scenes.

by Anonymousreply 261December 8, 2021 3:04 AM

Don’t Look Up deserves bad reviews like the one from THR. It really is insufferable, good as DiCaprio is.

by Anonymousreply 262December 8, 2021 3:05 AM

R261, she is very good in those two scenes, and that moment did produce gasps in my screening, too. I also heard audience reactions during all of Cate Blanchett’s big moments, and she has a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 263December 8, 2021 3:28 AM

Prediction: Lawrence and Kidman are out and Stewart, Hudson, Chastain, Lady Gaga and Rachel Zegler might make the final cut.

by Anonymousreply 264December 8, 2021 4:33 AM

THR reviews "Being the Ricardos":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 8, 2021 5:04 AM

Shit. It seems every review for Ricardos so far is bad. Curious how this affects Kidman's chances. She is still getting near raves. Very similar to Gaga's performance in Gucci: Great performance in a so-so film.

Should be interesting,

by Anonymousreply 266December 8, 2021 5:55 AM

funny most of the best Actress candidates have received better reviews than their films

by Anonymousreply 267December 8, 2021 5:59 AM

Don't Look Up is getting very mixed reviews.

And, Gaga's win in New York is....very odd if not suspicious.

It's really not a great film year.

by Anonymousreply 268December 8, 2021 7:28 AM

McDormand is going to sneak up on all these ladies. Boot Stewart off the list.

by Anonymousreply 269December 8, 2021 10:09 AM

The Power Of The Dog and Licorice Pizza will win all the major awards.

by Anonymousreply 270December 8, 2021 10:22 AM

R264, you forgot about Olivia Colman. I think she gets in there before Stewart or Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 271December 8, 2021 12:48 PM

[quote]Don't Look Up is getting very mixed reviews.

This surprised me because I thought it was going to be a critical hit given Adam McKay's reputation and the starry cast. (The THR review was downright brutal.) I guess this explains why it has slid down Feinberg's list and may not be a major contender this awards season after all, though I'm sure it will still score some nominations.

by Anonymousreply 272December 8, 2021 1:10 PM

Stewart will be nominated and most likely win, delusional DL queens notwithstanding. She’s been in the presumptive lead for months.

by Anonymousreply 273December 8, 2021 1:20 PM

Stewart gave a bravura performance, but she was the heart of a film that felt empty specifically because her character was miswritten and misdirected. In a weaker year, that wouldn’t matter as much, but I think she’ll get edged out by nominees who gave just as strong performances in better films.

by Anonymousreply 274December 8, 2021 1:55 PM

Nah, r273. She might sneak in for a nomination, but the film itself is generally reviled by the very few people who bothered to see it. The Academy is NOT giving an Oscar to that film.

by Anonymousreply 275December 8, 2021 1:56 PM

R272 What's his reputation? He's the guy that did Anchorman and Step Brothers

by Anonymousreply 276December 8, 2021 2:13 PM

Film critics are known for having no sense of humor and they have always hated Adam McKay. Vice was equally bashed by them and it ended up with 8 Oscar nominations. I expect DLU to get a few nominations, as well.

The Oscars will be officially over if they give BP to West Side Story--a remake. I don't care how good it is, it would be an abomination to award a remake of a past BP winner. They might as well give up and start nominating the Marvel films and Halloween IV.

by Anonymousreply 277December 8, 2021 2:20 PM

I would throw up to watch that Being the Ricardos shit. No thank you with that Frankenstein woman.

by Anonymousreply 278December 8, 2021 2:24 PM

I think the Oscar will go to Belfast. Wonderful except I wish it had been filmed in soft, old-fashioned color.

by Anonymousreply 279December 8, 2021 2:28 PM

[quote]The Oscars will be officially over if they give BP to West Side Story--a remake. I don't care how good it is, it would be an abomination to award a remake of a past BP winner. They might as well give up and start nominating the Marvel films and Halloween IV.

Love this comment. LMAO.

by Anonymousreply 280December 8, 2021 4:10 PM

No one mentions Tick, Tick, Boom, the movie I've liked most in the past few months (I've seen Belfast, Dune, and Power of the Dog). Or Andrew Garfield, whom I found absolutely wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 281December 8, 2021 5:13 PM

I think Andrew Garfield could actually win the whole damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 282December 8, 2021 5:37 PM

R271 you're right I did forget but, in the Oscar so woke Hudson and Zegler might come before 2 white women. R264

by Anonymousreply 283December 8, 2021 5:54 PM

R279, Belfast seems like the only winner that really makes sense, especially given the preferential ballot that rewards consensus choices. I think people are really sleeping on it right now because it won't do as well with critics' groups as The Power of the Dog or Licorice Pizza, but it's an actor's showcase that tugs at people's emotions, and doesn't have any of the drawbacks that the other presumed front-runners have.

I don't think the sentiment at R277 will be uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 284December 8, 2021 5:57 PM

R284 agree about Belfast but, since there are 10 potential nominees and in the last few years there have been 8-9 films actually nominated, West Side Story, Don't Look Up, Licorice Pizza, The Power of the Dog and even C'Mon, C'Mon and King Richard will probably get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 285December 8, 2021 6:08 PM

This year it's going to be a hard ten for the first time in a decade instead of a variable 5-10 that always works out to 8 or 9.

You're probably right about that list, R285, and I'd add in Dune, which seems relatively safe. Even with the somewhat mixed reaction, I think Nightmare Alley still probably gets in, and that tenth slot is really up in the air.

by Anonymousreply 286December 8, 2021 6:33 PM

I was just so moved by Belfast—including the shock of the first scene. In the beginning, I was a peeved at it being corny, but then it became clear the whole film was life through the eyes of a child, that simplistic and skewed but interesting and observant angle. Don’t count out Judi Dench either.

by Anonymousreply 287December 8, 2021 6:40 PM

AFI's top 10 movies of the year:

CODA, Don’t Look Up, Dune, King Richard, Licorice Pizza, Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog, Tick, Tick… Boom!, The Tragedy of Macbeth and West Side Story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 8, 2021 7:09 PM

Isn’t the better lot of movies based on the fact that some of the best contenders to be in 2020 awards eligibility were held back for release in 2021? Dune and WSS being the most obvious ones, but I assume others as well. This goes into stacking the 2021 awards season with a big quantity of contenders.

by Anonymousreply 289December 8, 2021 7:13 PM

Anyone seen CODA and can comment on Daniel Durant’s performance. In Deaf West’s Spring Awakening he was just so amazing, the kind of actor who opens a vein and bleeds out on stage. He was also very attractive and charismatic and you didn’t want to take your eyes off him. Even if he only gave half of that performance in a film he seems like he should be an awards contender?

by Anonymousreply 290December 8, 2021 7:18 PM

Why no foreign films? Since Parasite winning two years ago, one would think they would start nominating more foreign films. Was that just a one time thing?

by Anonymousreply 291December 8, 2021 7:24 PM

R288, the inclusion of CODA was interesting, because I thought the Apple TV release killed its award hopes. I doubt it'll make it into the Oscars, but it keeps getting random mentions here and there, and that's better than I expected.

R290, I think Troy Kotsur is the best shot for CODA in Supporting Actor. Durant is also good (everyone in the movie is), but Kotsur has the meatier role.

by Anonymousreply 292December 8, 2021 7:26 PM

I know many here don't like Feinberg -- and I don't take what he says as gospel either -- but I do think there may be some validity to his rankings. For instance, I at first thought it interesting he doesn't include "Don't Look Up" as a front-runner but then I read the reviews and now I know why. On the flip side, however, he still has "Being the Ricardos" on there, even though I heard it also did not get fabulous reviews.

He currently has CODA down as a "longer shot."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293December 8, 2021 7:51 PM

R293, are you the person who always posts his forecasts here?

by Anonymousreply 294December 8, 2021 7:58 PM

AFI has a good track record for predicting Best Picture nominees. Last year, 7 of their choices ended up getting a Best Picture nomination.

I think their list is probably accurate, except Belfast will replace one of the films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295December 8, 2021 8:08 PM

R294, yep, only because I get THR's emails on a daily basis. I also posted the AFI results up above from Deadline.

by Anonymousreply 296December 8, 2021 8:13 PM

Yeah, swap out CODA and replace with Belfast, and you've probably got your list.

by Anonymousreply 297December 8, 2021 8:13 PM

I think Feinberg's predictions are usually terrible, but I don't see any problem with people posting them here. They move the conversation along, even if it's just commenting on how dumb they are.

Like this week, he has Rachel Zegler, Mike Feist and Rita Moreno in first position for their respective acting categories, and that's insane. We're in a spread the wealth era at the Oscars, and even if we weren't, it only happened for two of the biggest acting showcases the Oscars have ever seen. It's not happening for a musical remake.

by Anonymousreply 298December 8, 2021 8:22 PM

Don’t count out Daniel Craig for Best Actor. There was a packed house yesterday for a SAG Nom Comm screening of No Time To Die where he appeared for a Q&A. And today I got a DVD of it sent by Federal Express. I think he totally deserves a nomination at last for shouldering that monster on his back for five films. I’ll happily knock Will Smith off my list to include him.

by Anonymousreply 299December 8, 2021 8:22 PM

The Power of the Dog is coming on strong now that it has premiered on Netflix. It's actually out-streaming King Richard on HBO by an almost 2-to-1 margin. That's impressive considering Power of the Dog is an art house film. Its success on Netflix will definitely have an impact come Oscar time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300December 8, 2021 8:24 PM

[quote]Stewart will be nominated and most likely win, delusional DL queens notwithstanding. She’s been in the presumptive lead for months.

The Stewart and Gaga camps in these threads will go to war if the race comes down between those two.

by Anonymousreply 301December 8, 2021 8:34 PM

Just look at Goldderby, where the average age of posters has to be 22 and the average IQ is only slightly higher. Their Best Actress threads are nothing more than sniping between those two insufferable factions.

by Anonymousreply 302December 8, 2021 8:42 PM

R301 There's no Kristen Stewart camp on DL.

by Anonymousreply 303December 8, 2021 8:57 PM

The problem with nominating Daniel Craig is that No Time To Die wasn't even his best performance as Bond. And the character was probably at his weakest.

It's fine that he's making a play for it but it's a long shot. He needs to get back to being the proper actor he was before Bond.

by Anonymousreply 304December 8, 2021 9:15 PM

We know Power Of The Dog will win Actor, Support Actor & Director.

West Side Story wins a bunch of technicals.

Best Picture is a crap shoot with the preferential ballot.

by Anonymousreply 305December 8, 2021 9:29 PM

KStewed Prunes winning a Best Actress oscar will be the end of the oscars.

by Anonymousreply 306December 8, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote]We know Power Of The Dog will win Actor, Support Actor & Director.

Not supporting actor, but actress more likely. Dunst is and will run a subtle but effective campaign and will get at least a nomination and will very strongly contend.

KStew is getting a nom for BA, make no doubt. Anyone saying otherwise isn't being realistic. The lukewarm reviews for Being the Ricardos, lack of power behind Penelope Cruz for Parallel Mothers and dicey prospects for Jennifer Hudson have make her a lock now. She will likely be in the final leg against Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 307December 8, 2021 11:04 PM

I love these Oscar twins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308December 9, 2021 12:33 AM

R307, dear god, just give it up already.

Kirsten Dunst won’t win shit for Power of the Dog.

by Anonymousreply 309December 9, 2021 3:17 AM

I think Dunst is getting in and is pretty safe, but after watching The Power of the Dog several times, I don’t see her winning at all. I wouldn’t rule it out, but the movie withholds so much regarding her character, and she doesn’t have a big Oscar moment comparable to her co-stars.

I didn’t want to agree with the Dunst doubter, but he does have a point.

by Anonymousreply 310December 9, 2021 3:41 AM

Yeah, Dunst won’t win. Probably a nomination though.

by Anonymousreply 311December 9, 2021 4:47 AM

R306 Don't worry it won't happen. As of now Rachel Zegler has a much better shot.

by Anonymousreply 312December 9, 2021 5:43 AM

Would Dunst be nominated as best actress or best supporting actress?

by Anonymousreply 313December 9, 2021 9:20 AM

R313 Supporting surely. And Rachel Zegler doesn’t have a shot at all (whoever said that).

by Anonymousreply 314December 9, 2021 9:51 AM

I think you all have a funny idea about what constitutes an award worthy performance. Prior to seeing POTD, based on this thread, I thought Dunst would barely be in it without much opportunity to shine - which ALWAYS sounded suspect given this is a JANE CAMPION film.

I was amazed at her presence throughout the film. A lot of you don’t seem to understand how pivotal her role is to the plot - she puts it all in motion, you root for her son (and forgive his moral lapse) because he loves his mother and is moved to protect her AND she endures at the film’s end! She is the ballast against which Cumberbatch’s Phil hangs in the balance. The film, its tension is weighted between them.

It’s a JANE CAMPION film. And while I watched it, I thought, “Kirsten Dunst is FINALLY in a JANE CAMPION film. In a position with awards credibility. KIRSTEN FUCKING DUNST. From Interview with a Vampire and Melancholia and Spider-Man and BRING IT ON (and Get Over It) AND The Vurgin Suicides AND Marie Antoinette. And Wag The Dog. And you think, give her an Oscar. (And Drop Dead Gorgeous.) At the very least, this is the Barbara Hershey in Portrait of a Lady BSA nom. (And BH is great in POAL.)

She could very easily win. And the recent THR roundtable was asked something like who do you want to work with the most and none other than Best Actress frontrunner Kristen Stewart said, “Kirsten Dunst.” With Dunst right there at the table. Plus she bagged Jesse Plemons so they’re proper acting royalty now.

Plus she’s terrific in the film. Right now, she has a very credible awards worthy narrative. Certainly A LOT MORE than last year’s Amanda Syfried.

by Anonymousreply 315December 9, 2021 12:17 PM

I love Kirsten Dunst and think she’s been handling her career brilliantly in terms of long-range planning, including this role, but I would give it to Judi Dench by far over her. I still need to check out Mass too.

by Anonymousreply 316December 9, 2021 12:29 PM

Martha Plimpton should be walking away with Best Supporting Actress this year. The fact that she’s not even really in the conversation is depressing.

Jason Isaacs too, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 317December 9, 2021 1:46 PM

None of the actors in Mass should be in the supporting category. They’re all leads. It’s category fraud to put any of them in supporting. Which is why I’ll include them in the Best Cast category but won’t include any of them in the Supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 318December 9, 2021 2:18 PM

I loved WEST SIDE STORY but I don't see any acting nominations coming for the cast. Maybe a Golden Globe nomination for Ariana Debose.

by Anonymousreply 319December 9, 2021 6:02 PM

Mass isn't on streaming. Is it playing in any cinemas? Certainly not in my neck of the woods. That's why it's not part of the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 320December 9, 2021 7:22 PM

Critics’ Conversation: The Great Film Performances of 2021:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321December 9, 2021 7:38 PM

Aunjanue Ellis has been a fixture on the New York stage for many years. It would be nice to see her get some recognition for her work in film.

by Anonymousreply 322December 9, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]Aunjanue Ellis has been a fixture on the New York stage for many years. It would be nice to see her get some recognition for her work in film.

It would be well deserved. I knew nothing about Oracene and Ellis made her an equally compelling person as Richard. Smith was "acting", but Ellis provided honesty and realism.

by Anonymousreply 323December 9, 2021 7:48 PM

R291 no foreign film I'm of aware this year has gotten the praise and attention both Roma and Parasite received. Both received dual nominations for Best Film and Best Foreign Language film.

by Anonymousreply 324December 9, 2021 8:33 PM

R324, the Japanese film Drive My Car seems to be getting a lot of attention. And so has, to a lesser extent, the Norwegian film The Worst Person in the World.

by Anonymousreply 325December 9, 2021 8:38 PM

There are so many films I want to see that just aren’t available. And the general availability of streaming content has made me such a spoiled baby about being unable to see them. I looked for both Mass and The Worst Person in the World tonight and couldn’t find them. Although that’s better than the $20 I blew on Spencer…

by Anonymousreply 326December 9, 2021 10:49 PM

What film critics prizes have been given out already?

NBR, New York. Others?

by Anonymousreply 327December 9, 2021 11:24 PM

LA is on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 328December 9, 2021 11:30 PM

Atlanta, Detroit, Washington, D.C

by Anonymousreply 329December 9, 2021 11:36 PM

What's a good site that lists all the winners r329?

by Anonymousreply 330December 9, 2021 11:38 PM

Critics And Their Screeners May Survive Awards-Season Rush Far Easier Than Oscar Voters:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331December 10, 2021 3:32 AM

R235 the first time I ever heard of Drive My Car was when it was, I assume to the surprise of most, named Best Film by the NYFCC. Parasite and Roma had been playing in theaters and in the case of Roma on Netflix and were talked about during award season. I don't think Drive My Car has a chance of receiving any nomination except Best Foreign Language film

by Anonymousreply 332December 10, 2021 4:33 AM

R332, the leading man of Drive My Car is getting a lot of acclaim, though.

Went to screening of The Tragedy of Macbeth last night. It was followed by a Q&A with Corey Hawkins who plays MacDuff. It was a knockout. Visually wonderful and with a fantastic cast. Washington and McDormand are both great. And it’s only just over 90 minutes. I’ll be urging friends to see it on the big screen between Christmas Day and January 14th, when it’s on Apple TV +.

by Anonymousreply 333December 10, 2021 12:17 PM

The Power of the Dog is stunning to look at, but that’s it. Dunst is very good, but it’s a part with no payoff and no Oscar moments. Same with Jesse Plemmons. Kodi whomever at least has a character arc, but he’s not going to win. And frankly, I don’t see Cumberbatch winning over Will Smith or others.

But cinematography absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 334December 10, 2021 7:56 PM

[quote] Dunst is very good, but it’s a part with no payoff and no Oscar moments.

When I constantly see this here, I have to wonder -- did we see the same movie? Dunst has Oscar moment after Oscar moment in this film -- crying in the kitchen, freezing at the piano, desperately giving away the hides, etc. You can argue about the quality of her performance, but to insist that she has no "Oscar moments" is patently silly.

by Anonymousreply 335December 10, 2021 8:00 PM

[quote] loved WEST SIDE STORY but I don't see any acting nominations coming for the cast

Then you need to clean your glasses. Ariana De Bose & Rita Moreno are one notch below being locks. Mike Faist is possible. David Alvarez is slightly less possible. And Rachel Zegler is being hailed by even people who didn’t like it. She’s swimming in lock territory now herself.

Try paying attention to the reviews and thd buzz, rather than your own opinions, if you want to Oscar prognosticate.

by Anonymousreply 336December 10, 2021 8:04 PM

Have to agree with r336, noms for De Bose and Moreno are looking highly likely. Faist could also squeak in there. And Zegler as of this moment is absolutely getting a nomination, in fact I'd put her chances ahead of Chastain's and Kidman's.

by Anonymousreply 337December 10, 2021 8:39 PM

R335, you’re the one who’s being silly. Dunst has zero chance of awards recognition for Power of the Dog. She gives a fine performance but it absolutely never adds up to become anything awards-worthy.

Went to screening of The King’s Man last night. A truly bizarre film. Ralph Fiennes’ character pimping his handsome son to Rasputin was but one of many eye rolling opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 338December 11, 2021 2:16 PM

Dunst is absolutely getting at least a BSA nomination r338. If you know anything about AMPAS and Hollywood, you'd realize that. The movie is getting raves across the board -and- sizeable streaming numbers at Netflix, its a resounding success critically and commercially and that will bring extra power to the acting leads during voting season. Campion is a critics darling and now back in high graces with Hwood execs due to the financial success, she and her movie will be well-rewarded with nominations.

Dunst personally is well-liked in the industry and respected by her peers. She's seen as a bit overdue in terms of awards recognition, and this role in this movie the perfect opportunity to make up on that. She has the most high-powered publicist in town (Huvane) squarely in her corner, he's been planning her campaign for years, just waiting for the right role to carry it out. She's getting a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 339December 11, 2021 3:50 PM

Kirsten's best performance was as Torrance the cheerleader in Bring It On.

by Anonymousreply 340December 11, 2021 3:56 PM

I wouldn’h count on that, R339, no matter how long-winded your justification is.

And even if she IS nominated she’ll be the 2022 equivalent of that old French broad in that film Amour from ten years ago. A win ain’t gonna happen. It was never going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 341December 11, 2021 7:16 PM

She's getting a nomination r341. She's on every film critics short list for a nomination and sitting at #1 right now at GoldDerby.

You don't need to read a justification, if you've participated in these prognostication threads for even a few years you'd get it.

by Anonymousreply 342December 11, 2021 7:34 PM

Uh uh, R342. I’ve seen the film twice and I think she’ll get squeezed out by stronger performers doing more compelling, award-worthy work.

by Anonymousreply 343December 11, 2021 8:01 PM

West Side Story will debut with an opening weekend box office less than In the Heights. That was deemed an immediate failure despite some obvious handicaps: no one knew the story or the songs, there were no big names attached, and it was available for free on HBO Max. West Side Story is a remake of one a musical everyone knows and loves by Hollywood's most successful director, and it's only available in theaters.

I think the West Side Story bubble burst today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344December 12, 2021 4:10 AM

Is it now possible that The Power of the Dog could win Best Picture? It feels like it's the movie being fully embraced by critics and audiences.

by Anonymousreply 345December 12, 2021 4:36 AM

Kirsten Dunst has been an actress of stature since she was about 17yo. Kristen Stewart too, though so many vicious gays seem to take her beauty and sullenness personally for some reason on here.

by Anonymousreply 346December 12, 2021 4:43 AM

I saw a Belfast screener recently and wondered how much more consistent it might've been had they swapped Colin Morgan and Jamie Dornan's roles. Or not cast Jamie Dornan at all. I don't usually mind him, but he was a very very weak link in that cast, and I'm including the exceptional child actors.

by Anonymousreply 347December 12, 2021 4:47 AM

R344 and don't forget Dear Evan Hansen who's opening day was $3.2M. Hansen was derided and mocked on DL and scorned by the critics, yet WSS made only $4.1M its opening day!

by Anonymousreply 348December 12, 2021 4:52 AM

De Bose blew me away. I think her and Mike Faist both deserve nominations along with Ziegler. And I did enjoy Rita Moreno too. She can definitely get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 349December 12, 2021 5:06 AM

I don’t think anyone really doubts Dunst will be nominated. But she won’t win. AMPAS has had it with honoring the sad and the dreary, which is why The Power of the Dog will be nominated but won’t win Picture (I think it’s a shoo-in for Cinematography and probably Director, though).

Whatever happens with the box office won’t matter, so WSS is likely the Best Picture winner. I think nominations are sure for Zegler, DeBose, Faist, and Moreno. Don’t know about wins.

by Anonymousreply 350December 12, 2021 5:20 AM

R350, if WSS flops as bad as it appears to be doing, it's done. Maybe a handful of nominations, that's it.

by Anonymousreply 351December 12, 2021 5:29 AM

I think it's the kind of movie that can gain momentum with awards and critics. Especially with the holidays coming. Families can see this.

by Anonymousreply 352December 12, 2021 5:32 AM

R333, I knew it! I knew from reading the cast that this "Macbeth" would be terrific (I used to show the excellent McKellen/Dench version in school; saw the Patrick Stewart one on Broadway)!

Frances McDormand was born to play Lady Macbeth.

by Anonymousreply 353December 12, 2021 5:39 AM

[quote]Whatever happens with the box office won’t matter, so WSS is likely the Best Picture winner. I think nominations are sure for Zegler, DeBose, Faist, and Moreno. Don’t know about wins.

Sorry, box office might not matter if most theaters are closed and you're Chloe Zhao making a movie where Frances McDormand shits in a bucket. And it might not even matter if you're Paul Thomas Anderson or Kenneth Branagh or Jane Campion.

But if you're Steven Spielberg, the king of the box office for nearly half a century, and you're doing a remake of one of the most beloved musicals of all time, you absolutely can not lose money and win major Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 354December 12, 2021 5:42 AM

[quote]But if you're Steven Spielberg, the king of the box office for nearly half a century, and you're doing a remake of one of the most beloved musicals of all time, you absolutely can not lose money and win major Oscars.

This is unfortunately true. Politics and $ matter a lot in certain key quarters of Ampas. If WSS doesn't take off commercially, it could hurt its chances during awards season. I think people thought it would do well, given all the rave reviews this past week. We'll see.

In the same vein, TPofTD's stronger than expected streaming numbers will boost Campion and her cast's profile during voting for both nominations and awards.

by Anonymousreply 355December 12, 2021 6:52 AM

Theres no way 2-3 of those actors are not getting nominated. DeBose is a sure thing. I would think Zegler is too. And were it not for DeBose Faist could've run away with the movie. He was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 356December 12, 2021 6:57 AM

[quote]AMPAS has had it with honoring the sad and the dreary, which is why The Power of the Dog will be nominated but won’t win Picture

Done with 'sad and dreary' since when? Didn't realize we had actual Academy voters posting here. McDormand, Hopkins, Nomadland certainly weren't laugh fests. They certainly have a fuller track record of celebrating the 'dreary' art house over the blockbuster, especially in BP races in recent years.

Until reviews and BO for The Tragedy of Macbeth are in and a fuller picture of WSS's receipts are in view, Campion's movie remains a high bet, for BP and director (or at least one of these) and most of its leads.

by Anonymousreply 357December 12, 2021 7:04 AM

R350 You see those nominations huh? You don’t see good.

by Anonymousreply 358December 12, 2021 7:20 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 359December 12, 2021 7:30 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 360December 12, 2021 7:37 AM

The intensity and persistence of the anti-Kirsten Dunst troll is both impressive and alarming. We get it - you hate Kirsten Dunst. Just let it go now, ffs. You've completely overstated your case, which is pretty irrational anyway.

by Anonymousreply 361December 12, 2021 11:16 AM

Poor box office for WSS only confirms the opinion that it was the remake that nobody asked for.

by Anonymousreply 362December 12, 2021 11:25 AM

Although she fumbles the ending (for which I partially blame Spielberg) I’ll still include Rachel Zegler among my selections for Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 363December 12, 2021 1:13 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Tragedy of Macbeth. The previews look pretty awesome.

by Anonymousreply 364December 12, 2021 6:48 PM

It’s really great, R364.

by Anonymousreply 365December 12, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote] McDormand, Hopkins, Nomadland certainly weren't laugh fests.

That’s the whole point. The Academy has been leaning heavily on sad, dreary, and hopeless for several years now. But we’re heading into the third year of a global pandemic that isn’t abating and has become a political minefield. Right wing nutcases have turned violent worldwide. Life is ugly these days.

Time for something else. WSS has gravitas but classic songs and dance as well. And as much as the anti-WSS nut (there’s only one, up to its old tricks) wants to insist it won’t happen, it’s still one of two or three best-reviewed films of the year, by a master filmmaker, with a cast which has justly been lauded (with one exception). It will be heavily rewarded with nominations & likely with several wins as well.

by Anonymousreply 366December 12, 2021 7:54 PM

That's utter nonsense, R366. You're arguing that the evidence that Academy voters want to reward something lighter is that they haven't been rewarding anything like that at all. There isn't even an ounce of logic to that argument.

Absent some actual evidence that voters would prefer to choosing something different from what they've been voting for -- and not some ridiculously maudlin argument that because people are depressed and there are violent right-wing nutjobs, the solution is to give Oscars to West Side Story -- you're pulling that sentiment right out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 367December 12, 2021 8:20 PM

I predict only Rachel Zegler will get a SAG nomination and no one else, not even Moreno. There’s a chance it will sneak in for Best Cast.

by Anonymousreply 368December 12, 2021 10:44 PM

SAG member. I voted for her, the Anita girl and I loved the guy that played Riff. Never seen him before

by Anonymousreply 369December 13, 2021 12:57 AM

I thought DeBose was competent but too slick as Anita-she certainly won’t be one of my selections. Neither will Mike Faist who I thought was too mannered.

by Anonymousreply 370December 13, 2021 3:38 AM

The non singing scenes sold me on DeBose. I like that she worked hard and sold it it to me when she wasn't just relying on her awesome voice.

by Anonymousreply 371December 13, 2021 3:50 AM

I loathed this new WSS. But I won't have a problem with deBose getting a nomination. She's fantastic. The only other nominations it should get are Production and Costume Design.

by Anonymousreply 372December 13, 2021 4:05 AM

The photography was beautiful even if you didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 373December 13, 2021 4:15 AM

That’s interesting, R370, because Faist was the only cast member that I thought had a novel take on the character. Riff felt like a feral, wounded animal in this version, and that’s not how we think of the Russ Tamblyn character, which worked pretty well in the original.

I liked DeBose, but her strongest moments were just copying from Rita Moreno.

by Anonymousreply 374December 13, 2021 4:21 AM

R374I liked Faist a lot. It was a "theatrical" performance But grounded enough to be in a movie. Movie musicals need those performances for me.

by Anonymousreply 375December 13, 2021 4:30 AM

It's fucked up this guy is getting so much shit. He fucked a groupie like so many before him. He was a stupid kid. You know he probably fucked lead girl here too. Have you met young people? They're looking to fuck. Unless he brutally abused anyone. He was just acting like a kid, He doesn't need to be crucified for it.

by Anonymousreply 376December 13, 2021 6:11 AM

[quote]He fucked a groupie

Who was underage, and said she cried through the whole thing, and he admitted to all of it. This is not "acting like a kid" unless your kid is a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 377December 13, 2021 9:01 AM

Belfast and The Power of the Dog lead the Golden Globe nominations, which we're not supposed to care about this year.

Mahershala Ali (Swan Song) and Javier Bardem (Being the Ricardos) earned nominations for Best Actor (Drama), while Ben Affleck (The Tender Bar) got in for Supporting. So did Troy Kotsur (CODA), continuing his hot streak. No nominations for Jared Leto, Ansel Elgort, Rita Moreno, Penelope Cruz or Frances McDormand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378December 13, 2021 2:59 PM

Golden Globes Nominations Prove A Missed Opportunity For Scandal Stained HFPA:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379December 13, 2021 3:15 PM

I find articles like that Deadline one so tiresome. It's all vague assertions about how the Golden Globes failed to restore the credibility that they never really had in the first place, when it's abundantly clear that there is absolutely nothing the HFPA could have done that would have satisfied the author.

I'd prefer the blunt "The Golden Globes suck and you should never pay attention to them ever again," which we know the author really means, to this type of furrowed-brow scolding of the HFPA for not doing something that is both undefinable and unachievable.

by Anonymousreply 380December 13, 2021 3:39 PM

As it becomes more widely seen look for Kathryn Hunter’s performance (s) to bump Kirsten Dunst off the SAG, Oscar and BAFTA nominees lists.

by Anonymousreply 381December 13, 2021 4:24 PM

The Best Actors of 2021 (according to the NYT):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382December 13, 2021 4:28 PM

Nah, Dunst is definitely in for an Oscar nomination. From the GG nominations, I expect it will be Ruth Negga (Passing) who gets replaced by Kathryn Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 383December 13, 2021 4:29 PM

‘West Side Story,’ ‘Belfast’ Lead 2022 Critics Choice Film Nominations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384December 13, 2021 4:32 PM

Those are some of the worst pictures I've ever seen from that article, R381. Ruth Negga looks like she escaped an insane asylum, and Gaby Hoffman looks like a sixty year old bag lady.

by Anonymousreply 385December 13, 2021 4:34 PM

Gaby Hoffman is so offensive looking-those fucking eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 386December 13, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote]Nah, Dunst is definitely in for an Oscar nomination. From the GG nominations, I expect it will be Ruth Negga (Passing) who gets replaced by Kathryn Hunter.

Negga or even Balfe will get bumped before Dunst will. She's the current frontrunner or #2/3 on most lists. Hunter is a long shot anyway.

by Anonymousreply 387December 13, 2021 4:48 PM

She won’t be when The Tragedy of Macbeth is out in theaters on Christmas Day and Netflix on January 14th.

by Anonymousreply 388December 13, 2021 4:49 PM

Wow the Oscars are going to be on March 27th this coming year. That's almost April 1st! Have they ever been on that late a date in the modern era?

by Anonymousreply 389December 13, 2021 4:52 PM

R389, the Oscars used to air in March and/or April for years before they were moved up to February several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 390December 13, 2021 4:54 PM

Critics choice noms are out.

Gaga and Dunst are in. DL implodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391December 13, 2021 6:10 PM

Ooo…Ann Dowd got in.

by Anonymousreply 392December 13, 2021 6:15 PM

R265, Nicole and Javier in that photo don't resemble Lucy and Desi.

They look like (the late) Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau.

by Anonymousreply 393December 13, 2021 8:43 PM

I just watched CODA and bawled my eyes out. I totally get all the live now for Troy Kostur. Emilia Fox was really fantastic too and should really be in the Best Actress conversation for that performance. And, wow, what a voice.

by Anonymousreply 394December 13, 2021 9:31 PM

*all the love

by Anonymousreply 395December 13, 2021 9:32 PM

This review of "The Tragedy of Macbeth" is amazing.

Scroll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396December 14, 2021 12:01 AM

Thanks for the link, R396. Really can't wait to see that one!

by Anonymousreply 397December 14, 2021 12:17 AM

Good Lord! Fran McDermott’s legs are enormous! Is she ill?

by Anonymousreply 398December 14, 2021 12:18 AM

That does look like edema around her calves and ankles unfortunately. Nothing too out of the ordinary for a woman in her 60s who isn't rail thin and has probably been on her feet most of the day.

by Anonymousreply 399December 14, 2021 12:24 AM

THR critics pick their best films of 2021:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400December 14, 2021 10:26 PM

Just saw Penelope Cruz in Almodovar’s Parallel Mothers. He lays on the melodrama a tad too thick but she’s really fabulous in it.

by Anonymousreply 401December 15, 2021 1:33 AM

I thought Parallel Mothers was very good, and agree that Cruz is fabulous. It felt like a little bit of a letdown because I loved Pain and Glory and this one was a step below that, but I liked a lot of the narrative and character choices Almodovar made.

by Anonymousreply 402December 15, 2021 1:39 AM

Finally got my SAG Nom Comm booklet, which contains pages and pages of all the prospective nominees in all the categories. Where the fuck is Simon Rex for Red Rocket? He should be included. Simon, call your agent!

by Anonymousreply 403December 15, 2021 2:04 AM

CODA is really corny.

by Anonymousreply 404December 19, 2021 12:12 AM

So is SPENCER.

by Anonymousreply 405December 19, 2021 12:14 AM

Academy Unveils Shortlists in 10 Categories:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406December 21, 2021 10:14 PM

Governors Awards Postponed Due to COVID Surge:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407December 22, 2021 7:28 PM

Just got digital link for Drive My Car. Uh oh, from what I’m hearing the lead might push out one of my SAG Best Actor selections-probably DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 408December 23, 2021 7:02 AM

Posting Feinberg's latest just to bump the thread (which seems to have died off lately). "Belfast" appears to be the frontrunner now in all major categories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409December 23, 2021 7:59 PM

I've hardly seen any films this year but Summer of Soul was outstanding. Whoever did the music for The Power of the Dog should win and Cumberbatch and KSM in that film should be nominated. Campion will definitely get a nomination and could be a lock to win as well. Dunst was also excellent.

by Anonymousreply 410December 23, 2021 9:03 PM

Summer of Soul was terrific, but I don't think it has a great chance for a nomination because most of it is a compilation of archive footage. That's why people think the Mr. Rogers documentary from a few years ago didn't get nominated, even though that did very well for a documentary.

I think Feinberg is right about Belfast, as much as it's going to annoy critics who would rather have something like The Power of the Dog win. This might be one of those years where the frontrunner establishes itself early, and despite many attempts to reshape the race, it never happens.

by Anonymousreply 411December 23, 2021 9:37 PM

Feinberg’s predictions are just bad. The little boy from Belfast is STILL in his top five. Ruth Negga is not a #11 “long shot.” If anything, she’s at #5 or #6.

The person here who fastidiously posts his little forecasts is almost worse. Why don’t you post IndieWire which is at least somewhere near the realm of reality?

by Anonymousreply 412December 23, 2021 10:26 PM

Or here's a better idea, R412: you could just not click on the link if it bothers you so much. Or post IndieWire yourself if you think it's so reliable. But either way, please fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 413December 23, 2021 11:51 PM

Egads! I'm about 15 minutes into "Spencer" and am about done with Stewart's constant whispery tone!!

Apparently Diana felt a "martyr" ( heavy-handed moment of her opening a book about Anne Boleyn with "martyr" in its title) because she had to eat with the RF.

No way can KS win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 414December 24, 2021 4:52 PM

R414, Done. Finis. Awful film.

by Anonymousreply 415December 24, 2021 4:54 PM

At the end of the day, I think Jessica Chastain will win. I’ve thought that since I saw The Eyes of Tammy Faye and specifically that scene with the man with AIDS.

Spencer is just way too fucking bizarre for the Academy. Kristen has been inching towards a nomination for several years now and I think she deserves one. But not the win. Not for that.

by Anonymousreply 416December 24, 2021 5:07 PM

From your post, r416, I've rented "TEoTF."

by Anonymousreply 417December 24, 2021 7:06 PM

I enjoyed it but Spencer really is fucking bizarre.

I also enjoyed Being The Ricardos - and was much more impressed by Nicole Kidman's performance- than I expected to be.

by Anonymousreply 418December 26, 2021 10:00 PM

Why does Stewart keep showing up as THE frontrunner for Best Actress? She's not good in Spencer, but the critics came all over her. I suppose she'll get nominated, but I can't imagine her actually winning.

by Anonymousreply 419December 28, 2021 8:12 AM

Nicole Kidman or Chastain are not winning for anything this year. If Stewart doesn’t win the Oscar is Gaga’s?

by Anonymousreply 420December 28, 2021 9:25 AM

It'd be smart to give it to Gaga, R420. Especially since no single performance is a standout for BA.

The viewership will be way up with her as a frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 421December 28, 2021 9:37 AM

Gaga or McDormand (a sleeper, I know. But just wait. Denzel, too.)

by Anonymousreply 422December 28, 2021 11:52 AM

I had a dream that Simon Rex got that elusive fifth spot in Best Actor this year (alongside Smith, Garfield, Cumberbatch, and Washington).

I often have prophetic dreams and dreamt Judi Dench would win for SiL.

by Anonymousreply 423December 28, 2021 2:12 PM

Mass is a bit stagey.

by Anonymousreply 424December 28, 2021 10:10 PM

So ONE successful Oscars dream/prophecy in, what, 65 years of life?

I foresee a new career path you! The new Sylvia Browne!

by Anonymousreply 425December 29, 2021 1:17 AM

Don't Look Up was abysmally self-indulgent and I can see the Academy voters jizzing all over themselves to reward it. It's like a dystopian La La Land.

by Anonymousreply 426December 29, 2021 8:28 PM

No - Don't Look Up has been losing its heat. It'll get nominations, but the only one that's sure is Leonardo DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 427December 30, 2021 12:39 AM

Can ‘Spider-Man’ swing into the Oscars?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428December 31, 2021 1:59 PM

R428 if one goes by critical consensus Spider Man has a higher Metascore on IMDB than Nightmare Alley, Being the Ricardos, House of Gucci and Don't Look Up which has the lowest of the group with a 50 Metascore. Spider Man is also a huge win at the BO. A Best Picture nod would not be surprising with 10 possible nominees.

by Anonymousreply 429December 31, 2021 2:07 PM

I'm all for a Best Picture nom for Spiderman, if that's what people want and will get viewers to tune in, but once it's amongst the 10 nominees - how do they justify giving it to something else? I mean, if it's a contender, it's a contender - and a crowd-pleasing contender at that. I mean, there was a time when the Academy awarded Around The World In 80 Days (1956) Best Picture, presumably because it was entertaining and did big box office. Maybe they need to return to those days.

Plus, if Tom Holland hosted...although apparently his schedule won't permit it (making too many crappy non-Spiderman films). I would tolerate a BP Oscar for Spiderman if it meant they reinstate the role of host to the proceedings because that would make a big difference in the broadcast - two steps in the right direction, actually.

by Anonymousreply 430December 31, 2021 2:38 PM

It's still Spider-Man, though, R429. It doesn't have the social commentary of a Black Panther, and it's not a riff on a few different Scorsese movies like Joker. It's a straight down the line comic book movie that audiences really love, but I think it would take more than that for Oscar voters to really consider it.

If any of the performances in Spider-Man had some traction for a nomination or the director were a little more respected than Jon Watts, I might think it has more of a chance. It's not fair that an adult drama with mediocre reviews has a better shot than a comic book movie with better ones, but that's how voters are.

by Anonymousreply 431December 31, 2021 2:41 PM

I'm not sure Academy voters should be contemplating the ratings of the actual awards broadcast itself into their reasons for voting for BP. I mean, it's supposed to be an award for the best annual cinematic production, given to one film out of thousands produced each year. There are dozens of cinematic and technical criteria to consider, why would broadcast ratings matter?

by Anonymousreply 432December 31, 2021 3:02 PM

I guess, in the end, a best picture nomination for "Spider Man" would be no different than a best picture nomination for "Star Wars" or "Titanic" or "Lord of the Rings," three huge crowd-pleasers that also managed to score major award nominations in their respective years. Sometimes it does happen and should not be considered a "giving in" of sorts by the Academy to popular sway. A well-done film is a well-done film and should be recognized no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 433December 31, 2021 3:27 PM

R427 Leo isn’t assured a nomination this year.

by Anonymousreply 434December 31, 2021 5:00 PM

Smith, Cumberbatch and Garfield seem set in stone, and Washington looks secure for a nomination as well. That leaves one slot for Leo to fill. Peter Dinklage and Nicolas Cage both beat Leo for a Critics Choice nomination, and the only other possibilities I can think of are Javier Bardem and Bradley Cooper.

They'll probably default to Leo just because they like him so much, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 435December 31, 2021 5:14 PM

I've hardly heard a word about "Tragedy of Macbeth" other than one local TV critic last night said he placed it among his best. The previews look amazing.

by Anonymousreply 436December 31, 2021 5:47 PM

Bradley Cooper will not be getting an Oscar nomination this year.

by Anonymousreply 437December 31, 2021 9:36 PM

R434 You are absolutely right!

Will Smith, Peter Dinklage, Bradley Cooper, Denzel Washington, Andrew Garfield, Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquim Phoenix

by Anonymousreply 438December 31, 2021 9:54 PM

Smith is NOT set in stone. It’s looking more and more like the only one from that film getting awards recognition will be Aunjanue Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 439December 31, 2021 10:31 PM

I thought Jon Bernthal and the little girl who played Venus, Saniyya Sidney , were standouts of the film too. Always thought they should have a kid or under 18 category.

by Anonymousreply 440December 31, 2021 11:37 PM

Looking at the list in r438, I'd call it for Benedict Cumberbatch.

Alas, not enough people will go to see "The Tragedy of Macbeth." And whoever cared about Richard Williams? Desi Arnaz? I'm 72, and I am not in the least interested in a movie about a table reading for "ILL"!

by Anonymousreply 441December 31, 2021 11:50 PM

After seeing Red Rocket, I think Simon Rex could be a dark horse potential. He won't win but it's the sort of breakout outlier performance the Academy occasionally likes to pretend to give a shit about.

by Anonymousreply 442January 1, 2022 12:10 AM

[quote] I'm 72, and I am not in the least interested

Sure you’re 72. Yeah, we really believe that.

by Anonymousreply 443January 1, 2022 12:27 AM

What's your problem, r443---am I lying to be younger or older than you think?

Baby Boomer, Class of 1949, same as Richard Gere, Meryl Streep, Bruce/Caitlin, Billy Joel, et al..

by Anonymousreply 444January 1, 2022 11:01 AM

R443 when I was a kid during the 60s/70s reruns of I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners were on TV 5 days a week and I knew most of them by heart as did many and I found Being the Retardos less than enthralling!

by Anonymousreply 445January 1, 2022 5:16 PM

In a just world, Udo Kier would be in contention for Best Actor for Swan Song (dir: Todd Stephens).

by Anonymousreply 446January 2, 2022 10:04 PM

Does the Academy have "blockbusterphobia"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447January 4, 2022 7:28 PM

The Golden Globes matter even less than ever this year, but they’re giving them out right now, Ariana DeBose and Kodi Smit-McPhee have won for Supporting, Kenneth Branagh won for his Belfast Screenplay, Rachel Zegler and Andrew Garfield took the lead prizes for Comedy/Musical, and Will Smith won Actor in a Drama. Only Actress remains, along with Picture and Director.

None of their winners are as out there as last year’s crazy ceremony (Jodie Foster! Rosamund Pike! Andra Day!), which is a little disappointing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448January 10, 2022 2:28 AM

I know a lot of you around here hate her, but Olivia Colman deserves best actress this year. She was incredible in The Lost Daughter. I thought Chastain was pretty good in Eyes of Tammy Faye, better than Kidman as Lucy. I haven’t seen KS in Spencer or GaGa, but there’s no way either were better than Colman. They may not want to give her another Oscar so soon—but they loaded up Frances McDormand, so I guess it’s possible.

by Anonymousreply 449January 10, 2022 2:45 AM

People here aren’t very fond of The Lost Daughter, but even its detractors haven’t found much fault with Colman’s performance. And she seems to be pretty well-liked around here. It’s not like we’re talking about Jennifer Lawrence.

I would be okay with Chastain winning. I think she even has a path to make it happen, given every single contender has some major drawbacks this year. She might not have the accolades of a Cruz or a Colman, but she has a more Oscar-friendly role and narrative than either.

by Anonymousreply 450January 10, 2022 3:19 AM

Kristen Stewart was snubbed for a SAG nod.

by Anonymousreply 451January 12, 2022 5:28 PM

And so were the Belfast boys and Aunjanue Ellis. I still think Ellis has a pretty good shot, and that Supporting Actor field is so messy that Ciaran Hinds will probably make it in thanks to the Brit bloc. Dornan probably won't thanks to a combination of competition from Hinds and lack of respect (somewhat akin to Stewart, although at least people like his movie).

I do love that Troy Kotsur has gone from a longshot contender to possibly the strongest competitor behind Kodi Smit-McPhee.

by Anonymousreply 452January 12, 2022 5:37 PM

The SAG BA are interesting. Gaga, Chastain, Colman, Kidman and JHud.

The first four were almost locks. But JHud replaces the biggest sure thing: Stewart.

This is the first real non critic award. Guess Stewart's peers aren't so keen on her?

by Anonymousreply 453January 12, 2022 6:00 PM

There were reports of people walking out of Spencer during SAG screenings, which is always a terrible sign. And Stewart was never the sure thing people assumed she was. Film Twitter doesn't vote on the Oscars.

People have continued to doubt Kidman, but she's pretty clearly the frontrunner now.

by Anonymousreply 454January 12, 2022 6:10 PM

I'm glad to see Ruth Negga nominated for Passing, that shows the nom com had some real taste.

by Anonymousreply 455January 12, 2022 7:07 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 456January 12, 2022 8:53 PM

I'm a little cautious about Negga because Netflix movies tend to overperform at SAG, but I'm very pleased she got in. I wish Tessa Thompson had a better chance at a nomination, though, because I think both deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 457January 12, 2022 8:54 PM

I think Jessie Buckley gets Negga’s slot for the Oscar. The Lost Daughter is much more high profile than Passing even though both are on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 458January 16, 2022 4:05 AM

R458 I agree. I think Jessie Buckley ran away with that movie. She was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 459January 16, 2022 4:12 AM

PGA Nominations are out. Most of the expected films made it in, although among the films at the fringes, Being the Ricardos and tick, tick... BOOM! made it in, while House of Gucci and The Tragedy of Macbeth did not.

No Spider-Man: No Way Home either, which probably kills its chances. If any group were to nominate it, it would have been the Producers Guild.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460January 27, 2022 3:51 PM

How the Oscar best picture race stands as voting begins this week:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461January 27, 2022 4:20 PM

And WGA also announced their nominees, which really don't mean much since the two front-runners in each category (Belfast, The Power of the Dog) were deemed ineligible.

Being the Ricardos, Don't Look Up, The French Dispatch, King Richard and Licorice Pizza made the list for Original, while CODA, Dune, Nightmare Alley, tick, tick.... BOOM! and West Side Story are the nominees for Adapted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462January 27, 2022 5:33 PM

Oscar Voting Starts Now! Academy Members, You Have Five And A Half Days And Counting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463January 27, 2022 8:23 PM

Why the Oscars Have Become Harder Than Ever to Predict:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464January 27, 2022 8:26 PM

Last one of the day. DGA nominations went to the five people everyone expected: PTA, Branagh, Campion, Spielberg and Villlenueve.

First-Time Director nominations went to three celebrity first-time directors (Maggie Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Hall, Lin-Manuel Miranda) as well as Tatiana Huezo (Prayers for the Stolen), Michael Sarnoski (Pig) and Emma Seligman (Shiva Baby).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465January 27, 2022 8:38 PM

PTA doesn’t deserve it for that piece of shit Licorice Pizza. I’d have put Joachim Trier in that slot for his superb direction of The Worst Person in the World.

by Anonymousreply 466January 27, 2022 9:22 PM

It'll probably be the Drive My Car director who bumps out one of the DGA five.

And people seem to think that Branagh is the one that the directors branch is likely to snub, but with the exception of Jane Campion, they all seem equally vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 467January 27, 2022 9:33 PM

Branagh for the snub!

by Anonymousreply 468January 27, 2022 11:16 PM

I didn’t think The Worst Person In The World was that great. It was kind of meh.

by Anonymousreply 469January 27, 2022 11:17 PM

Really, R469? I really loved it. The female lead is wonderful and so are the two guys who play her love interests.

by Anonymousreply 470January 28, 2022 1:33 AM

I liked the cast but it was neither a romantic comedy or a satisfying drama. It was okay.

by Anonymousreply 471January 28, 2022 10:50 AM

Variety has published an Actors on Actors interview with Kristen Stewart and an animatronic Nicole Kidman which is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 472January 28, 2022 10:51 AM

R471, it’s certainly not a romantic comedy. I don’t know why it’s being described as one.

by Anonymousreply 473January 28, 2022 2:01 PM

SAG-AFTRA’s doing a clever thing this year of doing live Q&As with actors interviewing nominees. You have to RSVP to them from an email invitation. I’m passing on Mindy Kaling interviewing Nicole Kidman but I’m looking forward to Eddie Redmayne interviewing Andrew Garfield. That should be cute as hell.

by Anonymousreply 474February 2, 2022 7:54 PM

Just saw Nightmare Alley and yeah, it's not getting nominated for any awards except for maybe set design and hair/makeup.

by Anonymousreply 475February 3, 2022 12:01 AM

Aunjanue Elllis better take Cate Blanchett’s drag act slot on Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 476February 3, 2022 12:41 AM

I have a feeling that Marlee Matlin will surprise in supporting.

by Anonymousreply 477February 3, 2022 12:43 AM

So might Troy Kotsur. They were by far the best parts of CODA.

by Anonymousreply 478February 3, 2022 2:04 AM

No BAFTA nomination for Dunst. At least somewhere her less than outstanding role has been noted.

by Anonymousreply 479February 3, 2022 1:46 PM

Surprised that there’s no BAFTA nomination for Andrew Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 480February 3, 2022 3:15 PM

Also, no BAFTA nominations for Kidman, Colman, Chastain and Denzel, among others. They've never been perfect and have always had certain biases (Denzel has never received even a single nomination from them), but their jury system has made them a poor indicator for acting nominations at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 481February 3, 2022 3:16 PM

I think this BAFTA nod really helps Alana Haim’s chance at securing an Oscar nomination. I have a feeling that Licorice Pizza will over-perform expectations on nomination morning.

by Anonymousreply 482February 3, 2022 3:20 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 483February 3, 2022 3:39 PM

Ooo, you’re right, R483. Good point.

by Anonymousreply 484February 3, 2022 4:06 PM

Just got email invitation for a screening of The Eyes of Tammy Faye with an in person Q&A with Jessica Chastain. Bitch is working for every damn vote.

by Anonymousreply 485February 3, 2022 6:20 PM

Brits celebrate fuglies like Robbie Williams and Sally Hawkins. The BAFTAs aren’t the most reliable bellweathers for the Oscars. Haim ain’t getting a nom.

by Anonymousreply 486February 3, 2022 6:22 PM

But I like that BAFTA has been going their own way - what’s the point of predicting the Oscars? These awards bodies need to have their own identities, esp. with Oscar’s fading fortunes. BAFTA also sits between the U.S. and European markets and also need to acknowledge Britain’s own independent film production. Of course they’re not going to mirror the Oscars nom for nom. It’s good that they’re stepping out of Oscar's shadow.

It’s not of any relevance to American audiences, they’re playing to a different audience. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 487February 3, 2022 7:17 PM

Have seen House of Gucci. It should be subtitled “Proof, as if it were needed, that Ridley Scott is not Martin Scorsese.” Ridley Scott can’t even do a good needle drop. Dear Ridley: if you’re going to fill your film with needle drops at least understand that they’re not meant to be bog-standard pop tunes that everyone already knows.

I mean, there wasn’t ONE moment in it that was AT ALL moving, it had no dimension at all. I can see why Jared Leto is getting all the attention. I did prefer Adam Driver with highlights though.

by Anonymousreply 488February 3, 2022 7:22 PM

Also finally saw Red Rocket. By any measure, Simon Rex gives AT LEAST one of the Top 5 performances of the year, personally I think THE BEST. I doubt he’ll be nominated but what a show.

I like the cinematography too. Near the end when Rex was silhouetted in shadow, it was very effective. He has a better prosthetic than Marky Mark did. Even if it lost its way a bit in the third act, this film was worth the wait. I would love to see Rex get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 489February 3, 2022 7:27 PM

R489, Simon Rex’s excellent performance wasn’t listed in the pages of those to be considered for a SAG-AFTRA Award. At the very least he should get a public apology.

by Anonymousreply 490February 3, 2022 8:33 PM

Red Rocket wasn’t SAG-eligible. So it was never considered.

by Anonymousreply 491February 3, 2022 8:48 PM

That can’t be true, R491. His performance was mentioned in some of the trade papers I received when I was on the Nominating Committee.

by Anonymousreply 492February 3, 2022 8:51 PM

Nightmare Alley is visually stunning with great production design but Bradley Cooper is very much miscast; Cooper needs to be busy as an actor, he doesn’t really excel in repose. He doesn’t really inhabit this role.

by Anonymousreply 493February 3, 2022 8:53 PM

That’s what IMDb says R492.

by Anonymousreply 494February 3, 2022 8:54 PM

Nightmare Alley needed Joaquin Phoenix not Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 495February 3, 2022 8:55 PM

“ Red Rocket's Simon Rex was ineligible because his film was made outside of SAG-AFTRA's Low Budget Feature Agreement.)”

by Anonymousreply 496February 3, 2022 9:01 PM

And yet performances from films shot in other countries can be nominated. The ones in projects shot in the UK are under British Equity jurisdiction. How the hell is this fair?

by Anonymousreply 497February 3, 2022 9:09 PM

R441 here. I take it back about "King Richard"; Will Smith was excellent.

Just watched "House of Gucci." First off, I was really disappointed in that this wasn't really a murder story. That takes place in the final 6 minutes or so. There is no investigation or trial shown. So whatever.

Gaga is darn good and resembles the real Patrizia. Adam Driver was adequate, but the severe change in the characterization of Mauricio needed more rationale than just "Oooh, Mauricio sees a blonde he used to know." Oh, wait; it's really that Patrizia caused his estrangement from his family that he never wanted to be a part of, pre-Patrizia.

If any actor in this movie deserves a Supporting Oscar nomination it should be Al Pacino. He seems a Gucci and not simply Pacino being Pacino. Jared Leto is fine (completely unrecognizable) and not nearly as OTT as some negative reviews had. (For all the talk of Paolo's execrable designs, and mixing brown with pastels, we never see any.)

Some viewers might not "get" or like the Italian-ness, but as a Sicilian-American, I thought all the emotions rang true.

I did wonder why the script eschewed good old Italian swearing in favor of Anglo-Saxon!

by Anonymousreply 498February 4, 2022 1:57 AM

House of Gucci seemed primarily concerned with production design rather than detailing the business aspect, which seemed like an afterthought, or family, whom are depicted more like watching a chess board than any human depiction. I could tell from the first few mins. with the usage of all the Moroder music how lazy it was going to be. Gaga was fine but the role as scripted lack subtlety; there was none of the fine detail or dramatic slights I remember from a similarly garish character like Julianne Moore as Barbara Baekeland in Savage Grace. Again, Scott never gets close to portraying people here so much as caricatured chess pieces. Leto’s performance delivered less than advertised which was probably a good thing; I didn’t find him jarring at all. He was as convincing as anyone else in a movie depicting Italians speaking English all the time. For all that was at stake, none of the Gucci’s ever appeared to break much of a sweat and, in the end, there was only one broken dish.

by Anonymousreply 499February 4, 2022 4:17 AM

Cooper’s performance improved immensely in Nightmare Alley, once the story moved on from the carnival stuff. Haven’t quite made it to the end of the film yet though. Still more interested in the Tyrone Power version.

The problem with Smith’s character in King Richard, as written, is he just doesn’t go anywhere. The arc is in the girls’ story. It’s like a supporting performance that is given centre stage in a film that should be about Venus and Serena, as they are where all the character development would be.

by Anonymousreply 500February 4, 2022 4:24 AM

R500/r495, Richard Williams is shown as the motivating force behind, in front of, and surrounding Venus and Serena.

He is the father, teacher, coach, cheerleader, disciplinarian, manager, and drill sergeant to his daughters; and philandering husband (same as Jim Bakker, Desi Arnaz, and Mauricio Gucci [Gucci's extracurricular get the most screen-time, interestingly]) to Oracene.

Plus, we do see the girls' story arc, such as it can be for characters not much beyond their early teens. They go from giggling children to typical pre-teens to earnest learners to dedicated and successful athletes who also are proud young Black women.

This, while their father steers the family ship through the rough waters of low income, street crime, and racism.

by Anonymousreply 501February 4, 2022 7:04 AM

You don't have to tell me, R501. It's just not a very interesting story arc for his character; at the end of the film he goes, "I was right." Which we already know b/c his daughters are champion tennis players.

Not sure of what it is you're trying to persuade me.

by Anonymousreply 502February 4, 2022 8:18 PM

King Richard is a movie I never need to see again.

by Anonymousreply 503February 4, 2022 8:23 PM

Hmmm, Oscars...

I don't know them.

by Anonymousreply 504February 4, 2022 8:25 PM

Well, I guess, r502, is to persuade that there IS an arc, which first you said there wasn't.

That we know the result already is often the case of all true stories, no? I mean---the ship sinks!

But should Will Smith win an Oscar? Not IMO. Neither should Bardem. I'm hoping Garfield ("TT...B") and Cumberbatch are more worthy.

One comment about "House of Gucci": The story, the quality of Jeremy Irons and Al Pacino notwithstanding, could easily have been a made-for-TV movie. It seriously---AS DEPICTED---did not deserve a full-blown film production.

I can't see any audience caring about Mauricio's murder, except maybe to cheer Patrizia, the Italian Betty Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 505February 5, 2022 3:37 AM

"HoG" completely shut out of Acting/BP noise!

Chastain in!

Looks like "TPotD" will win big!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506February 8, 2022 1:08 PM

I meant "awards," not "noise," but okay, noise!

Cannot link anymore; my links circle back to DL. What gives?

by Anonymousreply 507February 8, 2022 1:10 PM

I'll try again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508February 8, 2022 1:13 PM

Of the 10 nominees for either Best Actor or Best Actress, 7--7!--- are in movies NOT nominated for Best Picture.

Denzel, but not "Macbeth." Bardem and Kidman, but not "Being the Ricardos." Stewart, but not "Spencer." Chastain, but not "The Eyes of Tammy Faye." Colman, but not "The Lost Daughter." Cruz, but not "Parallel Mothers."

by Anonymousreply 509February 8, 2022 1:33 PM

Why do they keep giving Spielberg nominations for his shitty films?

by Anonymousreply 510February 8, 2022 1:45 PM

It's eight, R509. Only Cumberbatch (The Power of the Dog) and Smith (King Richard) are in Best Picture nominees. None of the Lead Actresses are from Picture nominees, and tick, tick.... Boom! wasn't nominated for Best Picture, either. That has to be the lowest correlation between Picture and Lead Acting since the expanded field, and possibly ever.

by Anonymousreply 511February 8, 2022 1:49 PM

R511, Just came here to amend my post with that about Andrew Garfield and "Tick, Tick,... Boom."

8/10! Is this a record?

I mean, how are all these acclaimed starring roles in less than worthy movies?

And how are all those lauded movies without any Oscar-worthy star turns?

IDGI.

Except that "TPotD," Benedict, and Kirsten D. are in like Flynn.

I can only hope Stewart is shut out. I wouldn't be dismayed if Bardem wins.

by Anonymousreply 512February 8, 2022 2:00 PM

R512, I think the record is only a single lead nominee coming from a Best Picture nominee. That was when Helen Mirren won for The Queen; none of her competitors nor any of the Lead Actor nominees were from Picture nominees that year.

by Anonymousreply 513February 8, 2022 2:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!