Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does Your Cat or Dog Actually Do Anything USEFUL?

Not counting giving you love and companionship, I mean like catch mice or fend of burglars?

If so, then what?

by Anonymousreply 155December 9, 2021 11:41 AM

Sunday brunch and a little light dusting. Maybe folding the laundry, if I ask nicely.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2021 2:49 PM

Do you do anything useful, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 2:51 PM

Yes, my dog always alerts us when someone is entering our gate downstairs, if it’s someone who doesn’t live in our townhouse. He knows the sounds of everyone’s footsteps who lives here.

There’s a certain invading species of bird that tries to set up nests in our front yard, and he knows their chirps and it really angers him; he insists on going downstairs and chasing them away when he hears them. Only the one species, though—they’re the only problematic ones I guess? I don’t know; he’s the expert.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2021 2:52 PM

They are adept at serving as hot water bottle substitutes. Also fairly good listeners.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 3:21 PM

Are “hot water bottles” a thing? I’ve heard little dogs (useless chihuahua types) referred to as such, but I’ve never heard of anyone actually carrying around an actual “hot water bottle” for any reason.

In other words, those dogs do nothing except bark like idiots, frequently act like assholes, and barely know their own names.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 3:24 PM

Oh they know their names. They just decide to ignore it from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 3:27 PM

My dog keeps the rabbits out of my garden.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 3:29 PM

In addition to being scary enough to keep people away from both my neighbors and my house, he's a great psychologist AND a part time bed warmer.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 3:30 PM

Picking winning lotto numbers once in a long while.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 3:33 PM

What breed(s) is he, rescue-chick?

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 3:34 PM

Our dog vigorously defends our property regardless of the legitimacy of the threat. She can be in any part of the house, dead asleep, and if a squirrel farts across the street or a meter reader yawns near the driveway gate she flips her shit. It's annoying during the day but useful overnight. Our cats have only ever been good for lowering our self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 3:42 PM

r10, he is a one eyed half siberian husky and half border collie 🐕

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 4:07 PM

My cat eats the crumbs I drop on the floor. Nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 4:11 PM

My 3 cat's jobs are to be as adorable as possible, give me loads of joy and love, and be treated like the royalty they are. I require nothing more from them.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 4:11 PM

Every evening at 5:00 p.m., my malty-poo makes me a gin and tonic and serenades me with Chopin on the piano.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 4:13 PM

My cat has killed at least two mice and a snake in the garden. I was a proud papa.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 4:14 PM

My cat radiates heat and keeps me warm in the cold midwest winters

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2021 4:16 PM

I think it's a full time job to act like they are happy to see us when we come back home.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2021 4:17 PM

[quote] [R10], he is a one eyed half siberian husky and half border collie 🐕

Aaaahhhh! I bet he’s gorgeous and so smart. I met a husky/border mix at the dog park last week. Is your dog’s one eye blue or brown?

My dog (mentioned at R3) is part border collie, too. So smart and athletic and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2021 5:07 PM

My cat would drag his water bowl across the floor if it was empty, letting me know hey !!! I need some water !

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2021 5:08 PM

I’ve trained my cat to call for help if I ever lose consciousness. It’s very assuring for an eldergay living alone.

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2021 5:11 PM

they scare and kill mice - they earn their keep by doing that

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2021 5:12 PM

r19, my big guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2021 5:24 PM

He’s a beaut, rescue-chick! Mine has the same white chest and arms/paws.

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2021 5:31 PM

R15, just got back from brother's house for early hidalgo meal. We did it last night and I stayed over. Their dog will not eat unless my SIL, a musician, plays the piano. The dog's recent play list is Chopin.

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] I’ve never heard of anyone actually carrying around an actual “hot water bottle” for any reason

Hot water bottles are to keep you warm at night. You fill them up with hot water and then place them between the covers and sheets, usually by where your ice cold feet would be.

My dog is perfect for this purpose instead. She eats things spilled on the floor, guilts me into getting off my phone and outside, and gives me a lot of comfort.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2021 5:34 PM

My dog eats bugs, partcularly on summer evenings she is always in action.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2021 5:39 PM

My cat can hear insects, even when he's in another room. It's pretty amazing how sensitive their hearing is.

Consequently NOTHING gets by him, and given I'm deathly afraid of roaches (which I do NOT have but on a couple of occasions have creeped in under my door, thanks to some filthy neighbours presumably) he intercepts them at the door, every single time. Nothing gets by him.

The downside is he will then play, half kill, torture, then eat them but that's his department. Most recently he found a grasshopper between 2 sliding windows (I could barely see it myself so he must have heard it). It was missing a leg and was likely going to die a slow death, so I handed him over to my little exterminator who made a morsel out of him. I love having a little lion at home.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2021 5:42 PM

My cat’s job is to be beautiful and affectionate.

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2021 5:43 PM

Mine sounds an alert when my pussy smells worse than her canned tuna. Time to get out the firehose.

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2021 5:46 PM

[quote]I think it's a full time job to act like they are happy to see us when we come back home.

Believe me, it's not easy. We could give Meryl a run for her money in the acting department.

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2021 5:51 PM

r24, your guy sounds handsome and charming!

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote]I think it's a full time job to act like they are happy to see us

Do you mean ACT happy or actually BE HAPPY, to see us?

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2021 5:59 PM

[quote]My dog keeps the rabbits out of my garden.

Is your dog named Mr. McGregor?

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2021 5:59 PM

You’ll never know, R33.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2021 6:02 PM

r35

But do YOU know? And if so, then are you sure you know? Or just think you know?

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2021 6:11 PM

My cat is both dead and alive at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2021 7:07 PM

My 2 Boston Terrier's and their flat snout are great at pre cleaning plates before they go in the dishwasher

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2021 7:31 PM

My super cute fox terrier ensures that hot guys talk to me without inhibition. She really lowers the barrier and provides a convenient opening topic. In addition, she sometimes functions as a neck pillow on my couch. And she keeps the squirrels away. She also prevented me from committing suicide during the COVID lockdown. So yes, I consider her useful.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2021 8:20 PM

One of my cats meows a lot when he wants more food.

The other cat bites him on the back of the neck to shut him up and it works!

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2021 8:27 PM

Heidi Douts' is useful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2021 8:39 PM

My cats keep me humble by reminding me daily that I am, in fact, not a cat.

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2021 8:39 PM

R39. I am glad you decided not to kill yourself. Your cat would be lonely without you.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2021 8:50 PM

Stay strong r39 stay loving.

by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2021 8:53 PM

R43 I would keep a cat too but my dog is used to 100% attention now and I am afraid she would not be willing to share that.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2021 8:53 PM

Yes, my dog plays piano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2021 8:59 PM

Robert Falcon Scott's team of dogs eventually died (and were eaten), and the men took over hauling the sleds almost to the South Pole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2021 8:59 PM

My dog looks at me while I sit in my chair and waits for me to pick him up. Then he proceeds to nestle himself into the most comfortable position for him. I let him do this because, together, we are a sense of comfort for each other. I know it. I can tell he knows it. We have a bond that transcends being useful. My dog teaches me to slow down and enjoy life.

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2021 9:04 PM

My cats have brought me countless mice, voles, rats, gophers, and moles over the years as if to prove their skills, value, and work ethic. They demand (and receive) complete adoration in return.

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2021 9:17 PM

You guys have made me miss all my Boxers. My Jax was put down this past July. Today, he'd be snoozing with a round belly full of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and collard greens over his usual kibble, drenched in gravy. He was my fourth consecutive Boxer and my last.

I may get a male and female cat one day. I've never had a cat before. I will call them Malcolm and Tosca. Happy Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2021 9:25 PM

Last year, I had a mouse in the house, and my cat tried to catch it. He really tried. He sat up in the kitchen all night waiting for it to come out from under the dishwasher. At one point, I heard his paws rushing across the kitchen floor, followed by the sound of him crashing into the oven door. The next day, I caught the mouse in a humane trap. The cat peered at the mouse through the clear plastic and acted bored. Obviously, if I wanted that mouse out of there, I was going to have to catch it myself. But I give the cat credit for trying.

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2021 9:31 PM

I’ve got a pug. That boy don’t do nothin’.

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2021 9:43 PM

I grew up with Boxers T50. Miss them too. Sloppy but wonderful dogs.

by Anonymousreply 53November 26, 2021 12:20 AM

My kitty died 2 days ago. I had to euthanize him.🥺

by Anonymousreply 54November 26, 2021 12:37 AM

I’m sorry for your loss, R54. :(

by Anonymousreply 55November 26, 2021 12:40 AM

I'm so sorry you lost your kitty R54. I don't even want to think about the day one of mine dies.

by Anonymousreply 56November 26, 2021 12:43 AM

Here's a prime example of my 3 kitty's reasons for living. Being adorable in every way. This is what I wake up to in my bed every morning. A wad o' cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 26, 2021 12:53 AM

My dog drives me to and from appointments and Sunday mornings he drives to Starbucks to get me a breve latte. Other than that? Not much.

by Anonymousreply 58November 26, 2021 12:53 AM

My cat attacks water roaches and then walks away from them and lets them live.

by Anonymousreply 59November 26, 2021 1:00 AM

My dog also is head dish pre-wash cleaner and will alert me to a delivery truck while it's still 3 blocks away. He has a different bark depending on what kind of service it is, UPS, USPS or Fedex, he can reliably tell the difference between them. He's unbothered by either the recycling truck or the garbage truck both of which are significantly louder. Which is good because I would be PISSED if he woke me at 4am every Friday morning.

by Anonymousreply 60November 26, 2021 1:09 AM

Both of my cats are excellent mousers, one is a taste tester for anything that I am eating, they make sure the laundry pile doesn't move and make changing sheets an adventure. They are great snuggle bunnies, alarm clocks and officials greeters. They let me live with them.

by Anonymousreply 61November 26, 2021 2:20 AM

Uses the toilet. That’s about it.

by Anonymousreply 62November 26, 2021 2:22 AM

[quote] I am glad you decided not to kill yourself. Your cat would be lonely without you.

Lonely, perhaps, but well-fed--at least for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 63November 26, 2021 2:27 AM

My wolf dog will kill and eat intruders.

by Anonymousreply 64November 26, 2021 3:02 AM

Definitely, if there's a jar of peanut butter handy.

by Anonymousreply 65November 26, 2021 9:55 AM

Why would we laugh, R46? He's good. A bit John Cage for my liking, but he has real technique.

by Anonymousreply 66November 26, 2021 10:37 AM

Dogs swiftly lick up food scraps that accidentally fall on the floor. (Mine also knows not to do that if I say, "Too hot!")

I once had a dog that used to watch TV, and would pointedly turn over to face the back of the couch when a bad show came on. Not everyone can live with a critic.

by Anonymousreply 67November 26, 2021 10:41 AM

[quote]Oh they know their names.

I had one cat who absolutely, positively did not learn his name until he was at least 10 years old. Dumb as a brick. A beautiful huge cat with not even a pebble where his brain should be.

by Anonymousreply 68November 26, 2021 10:44 AM

How the hell is the brute at R32 half husky/half border collie? Where is the long hair? More like some kind of overgrown staffie or bulldog.

by Anonymousreply 69November 26, 2021 11:00 AM

Meant R23 not R32.

by Anonymousreply 70November 26, 2021 11:01 AM

Our dog brought the police to the door when my husband had his accident. He stayed with my husband until he was loaded up on the ambulance, then led the ERT to our home

by Anonymousreply 71November 26, 2021 11:07 AM

He is, R71!

by Anonymousreply 72November 26, 2021 11:42 AM

My dog sniffed out a friend's cancer. He also alerted me prior to my having a hypoglycemic attack.

by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2021 11:53 AM

[quote] I had one cat who absolutely, positively did not learn his name until he was at least 10 years old

Oh he knew his name all along. It just took him 10 years to decide he would deign to acknowledge anyone when they called him by name. Remember, cats don't live with us, we live with them and on their terms.

by Anonymousreply 74November 26, 2021 12:24 PM

When you have a dog you never have to clean up any food drips that fall on the floor. I don't have a dog now but when I did if you were frying bacon he would get every single grease splatter that landed on the floor, no matter how small.

by Anonymousreply 75November 26, 2021 12:32 PM

A week after we brought our cat home from the shelter he left a dead rat under the Christmas tree. Two years later he left another. He’s pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 76November 26, 2021 12:35 PM

Our cat kills bugs. Last night she got a giant spider out here in the country. She killed a water bug in the city, and left insect parts all over the apartment; I saw a leg in the bedroom and thought it was a leaf. A wing in the kitchen and the remainder in the living room. We did praise and reward her.

by Anonymousreply 77November 26, 2021 12:45 PM

Decades ago I had a cat that was a champion lizard hunter. Lizards would regularly get into my garage. I came in one day and found her in the kitchen with something in her mouth that was wiggling. She immediately ran off as she knew I wanted to find out what she had in her mouth. Once I caught her and made her drop it I saw it was the severed tail (about 3") of a lizard. I don't know how long she'd had it but it was still wiggling after I made her drop it on the floor. I retrieved it and put it in the trash. A couple days later I was walking around outside the garage door and I saw a lizard climbing up the side of the house that had a stump for a tail. I thought oh well at least it survived the attack, and the tail will grow back.

by Anonymousreply 78November 26, 2021 12:53 PM

[quote]He's unbothered by either the recycling truck or the garbage truck both of which are significantly louder. Which is good because I would be PISSED if he woke me at 4am every Friday morning.

Oh please!!! He doesn't bark at them because he's asleep too.

by Anonymousreply 79November 26, 2021 1:52 PM

[quote] he left a dead rat under the Christmas tree. Two years later he left another.

You have RATS? For God's sake move.

by Anonymousreply 80November 26, 2021 1:52 PM

[quote] I would keep a cat too but my dog is used to 100% attention now and I am afraid she would not be willing to share that.

Dogs are pack animals, the more the merrier.

by Anonymousreply 81November 26, 2021 1:53 PM

kitty. KITTY

by Anonymousreply 82November 26, 2021 2:28 PM

[Quote] Pete lovers, if he's so wonderful tell us exactly what he's done to get the ships unloaded?

Wrong department. Talk to Commerce.

by Anonymousreply 83November 26, 2021 2:52 PM

Oops wrong thread ^ unless someone has a pet called Pete.

by Anonymousreply 84November 26, 2021 2:56 PM

My cat kept me warm all night last night.

by Anonymousreply 85November 26, 2021 2:58 PM

haha r79, he has no problem waking me up for anything else during the night

by Anonymousreply 86November 26, 2021 3:08 PM

My mom's cat can catch flies in midair. She also eats spiders.

by Anonymousreply 87November 26, 2021 3:57 PM

My dog makes me smile every time I look at her. Like 800 times a day. That makes her useful.

by Anonymousreply 88November 26, 2021 7:16 PM

That's an awfully sweet sentiment to add to this thread, R88!

by Anonymousreply 89November 26, 2021 8:40 PM

My dog likes to talk long walks and so he ensures I get exercise every day, regardless of the weather.

He also alerts me to the presence of someone at the front door

And, as others have noted, I don't have to sweep the kitchen floor very often.

He will also wake me up if I oversleep (or if he thinks I am oversleeping) and at around 6pm will come and woof at me if I am still working because it's dinner time.

by Anonymousreply 90November 26, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote]“They also serve who only stand and wait.”[quote]

by Anonymousreply 91November 26, 2021 9:25 PM

My cat alerts me every time he uses the litter box, in case I was wondering where he went.

by Anonymousreply 92November 26, 2021 10:01 PM

The two females of my little clowder of 3 are very finicky about their potty time. They will go into their litter box if I'm not in the room, but before they'll do anything they turn around and peek out to see if I'm anywhere around. If I'm there they won't do their potty. They just hop out and sit there waiting for me to leave the room. They're proper ladies. My boy cat doesn't give a rat's ass who's in the room.

by Anonymousreply 93November 26, 2021 10:50 PM

There's nothing quite as soothing as a purring kitten or cat curled up next to you.

by Anonymousreply 94November 26, 2021 10:55 PM

One of my cats always bolts out of the litter box and tells me she's has had a shit. She's not satisfied until I scoop. Sometimes I can placate her by going to the box and acknowledge, yep, I see your stinky shit.

by Anonymousreply 95November 26, 2021 10:57 PM

My dog makes me feel very smart once or twice a day. When I outsmart her.

by Anonymousreply 96November 27, 2021 12:34 AM

R92, my cat does a victory dance all around the house when he takes a shit.

by Anonymousreply 97November 27, 2021 12:54 AM

Mr Big Shit....who do ya think you are? Mr Big Shit....

by Anonymousreply 98November 27, 2021 1:02 AM

R37 are you or are you not Heisenburg?

by Anonymousreply 99November 27, 2021 1:34 AM

R37 I am a huge determinist. I think that is just some fancy little boys talking.

We Exist. That is what you and your gay freinds need to be tlaking about

by Anonymousreply 100November 27, 2021 1:36 AM

Existence is the beginning of knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 101November 27, 2021 1:37 AM

R99 that would be Schrödinger. Not HeisenBERG. Oh my!

by Anonymousreply 102November 27, 2021 1:51 AM

R39 you are their entire world. Stay strong and remember you are loved. Plus we need you here at DL.

by Anonymousreply 103November 27, 2021 4:42 AM

I'm accustomed to my cats being lazy and self-absorbed, so when they are useful it's a memorable moment.

Memorable moment: the cat who didn't like any of us, and left the house when we went on vacation and let my brother and his family house-sit, fetched us like Lassie to follow her to where one of the other cats was trapped in the neighbour's garage.

The other cat would enter the guest room when we had visitors and deliver a three-minute speech on dos and don'ts in his (our) household. He attempted to be a room sentry but was always dismissed by our guests. They didn't steal any silverware so maybe he was some use.

I once had a cat who would 'herd' or lead me to bed. "Come now, let us repose in the bower, you and I" at about 10:30 pm.

by Anonymousreply 104November 27, 2021 4:52 AM

Love these threads.

by Anonymousreply 105November 27, 2021 12:11 PM

My cat leaves surprise bowel movements in unexpected places, so he keeps me on my toes - literally.

by Anonymousreply 106November 27, 2021 1:04 PM

If your cat refuses to use a litter box you might want to take him to the vet. That's usually a sign something is wrong. Does he attempt to cover his droppings? It's not at all normal for a cat to defecate where he can't cover it up. They're very finicky about that.

by Anonymousreply 107November 27, 2021 1:25 PM

I adopted a four year old Tortie in May. She turned out to be a biter. She’d be sitting on my lap all quiet and peaceful and then reach over and try to bite my arm or hand. Breaking point was a week ago when she was following me down the hall in my apartment and out of nowhere she jumps at my bare ankle and bit down. Because I was moving she didn’t get to sink them in but she got two two-inch grooves in my ankle that bled like a motherfucker. I had to go on antibiotics.

I called the shelter the next day and she was back in the shelter the day after that. I spent so goddamn much money on that fucking cat.

by Anonymousreply 108November 27, 2021 1:30 PM

My dog has a Masters but she says she can't find anything she likes....

by Anonymousreply 109November 27, 2021 1:35 PM

Reading this thread, it seems to me that dogs are useful where’s cats mostly stink up the place.

by Anonymousreply 110November 27, 2021 2:17 PM

If you treat your companion animals like contractors who are there to provide a service for you you're missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 111November 27, 2021 2:23 PM

[quote]There's nothing quite as soothing as a purring kitten or cat curled up

Try a 7 kilo Siamese sitting on your chest cutting off your ability to breath while digging his razor-sharp claws into your bare shoulder because he's decided you need to get up and feed him.

by Anonymousreply 112November 27, 2021 2:42 PM

My last cat used to shit everywhere. My mother in law, who fancies herself as an artist, looked after him while we were away for a few days. Friends came round and she wanted to show them a drawing she had been working on. She had put it under the bed in the spare room. When she pulled it out there was a big shite in the middle of it.

by Anonymousreply 113November 27, 2021 3:48 PM

Before the popularity of cell phones, my cat was an extremely reliable faux alarm clock. Always made sure I was up at the exact time daily. Only issue is that he took a few days to adjust to Daylight Savings Time changes.

Whenever I was woken up by a strange noise in my previous apartment complex my cats let me know if it was normal or unusual. I was awakened well in advance of the major Northridge Earthquake in Los Angeles.

My cat let me know when I got home if the apartment manager had entered my home. (Jerk never gave me the legally required advance notice.) Yes he complained about my "watch cat" growling at him. Smart kitty.

by Anonymousreply 114November 27, 2021 4:04 PM

Some neighbors in my gated condo complex complain about the abandoned cats living outdoors. I tell them they have a choice of very clean kitties or flying rats (pigeons) and real rats and excess bugs due to the nearby Asian restaurants. They always choose the "hard working" cats (who are all fixed, vaccinated, and fed daily.)

by Anonymousreply 115November 27, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote]A week after we brought our cat home from the shelter he left a dead rat under the Christmas tree. Two years later he left another. He’s pretty cool.

Well that’s where the gifts go, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 116November 27, 2021 5:18 PM

[quote] I once had a cat who would 'herd' or lead me to bed. "Come now, let us repose in the bower, you and I" at about 10:30 pm.

My dog does this. She’s a real taskmaster. We need our rest so we can go for a morning walk at her preferred time of 6:30 am.

by Anonymousreply 117November 27, 2021 5:37 PM

[QUOTE] He will also wake me up if I oversleep (or if he thinks I am oversleeping)

This is a good thing? 🥴

by Anonymousreply 118November 27, 2021 6:22 PM

R118, Yes it's a good thing as I needed to be up at the same time daily for work. Weekends weren't an issue as instead of a delayed breakfast I got up and fed him, went to the bathroom, and then went back to bed.

Still it was better than being late for work as the alarm clock didn't go off for some unknown reason. Kitty was much more reliable.

by Anonymousreply 119November 27, 2021 6:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 27, 2021 6:40 PM

My dog does NOT get up before me. She loves snuggling and is definitely not an early riser. And she is not that old.

by Anonymousreply 121November 27, 2021 6:59 PM

r112=Kelly Osbourne

by Anonymousreply 122November 27, 2021 7:04 PM

My dog eats the crust ends from my pizza, he's helping me maintain my weight

by Anonymousreply 123November 27, 2021 7:06 PM

My cat would take a dump on the dining room table if I was late cleaning her liter box.

by Anonymousreply 124November 27, 2021 8:34 PM

My dog started alerting to my seizures on his own. He howls at me, and bumps me with his nose before I have one.

by Anonymousreply 125November 27, 2021 8:39 PM

Biting cats were not socialized by their mother. Kittens bite, often too hard and you will see the momma cat, smack the hell out of the kitten. She will also pin it and softly bite on it till it calms down. These are cat parents teaching kittens how to be cats.

A biting cat never got these lessons so you need to teach it.

by Anonymousreply 126November 27, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote]My dog makes me feel very smart once or twice a day. When I outsmart her.

Somehow I doubt that. It's just letting you think you outsmarted her.

by Anonymousreply 127November 27, 2021 9:23 PM

You are right, R127. She often pulls the beanie from my head and I outsmart her by distracting her with a goodie to get it back. She is growling and seems angry. In reality, she knows that she will get a goodie when she snatches my beanie.

by Anonymousreply 128November 27, 2021 9:46 PM

R126 your post makes sense where my situation's concerned. The cat I adopted was four years old and I was told she'd spent her entire life in a shelter in NM before she was shipped up to the one I adopted her from. The local shelter didn't give me any of her early history but I had a feeling she wasn't socialized to people at all before I got her. Up till the moment she attacked me, and it came out of nowhere, I had been teaching her that biting was wrong and she was starting to get that.

She was REALLY affectionate (almost obsessively so), followed me everywhere and would sit on my chest when she wanted attention. She weighed 13 pounds and that was a whole lot of weight to bear on my chest. My big concern was that she'd attack when she was near my face. She slept right next to me at night and I never quite felt safe with her right there by my face.

by Anonymousreply 129November 27, 2021 11:01 PM

R125, smart dog

by Anonymousreply 130November 28, 2021 12:59 PM

He is also very cute R130

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 28, 2021 6:10 PM

oof, I love that face!

by Anonymousreply 132November 28, 2021 6:15 PM

Last of the puppy spam. He's a Cattle Dog mix, his ears are always like that. His name is Ralphie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 28, 2021 6:17 PM

My dog does my taxes

by Anonymousreply 134November 30, 2021 11:50 AM

My dog introduces me to others. He seems to be friends with everybody wherever we go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 30, 2021 12:18 PM

is that really your dog r135? he's beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 136November 30, 2021 1:18 PM

^^ yes, this is Werner. He's a typical Dane. Sweet couch potato who allows everybody to pet him. Kids hang all over him until he let's me know with just one look that he's had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 137November 30, 2021 9:29 PM

Werner is a good dog name R137. Did you name him after an ex-boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 138November 30, 2021 10:04 PM

Our rat terrior keeps us grounded. She exercises us daily. She is quite entertaining, to boot.

Reply 1, lmao.

by Anonymousreply 139November 30, 2021 11:21 PM

[quote]She weighed 13 pounds and that was a whole lot of weight to bear on my chest.

You obviously don't have a husbear who likes to cuddle. 🐻

by Anonymousreply 140December 1, 2021 3:03 AM

My cat slides down the stairs upside down.

by Anonymousreply 141December 2, 2021 1:02 AM

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

by Anonymousreply 142December 2, 2021 1:05 AM

One of my dogs is expert at chasing away raccoons, opossums, and skunks from the back patio.

by Anonymousreply 143December 2, 2021 1:14 AM

Yeah R140, cause that's the same.

Dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 144December 2, 2021 1:14 AM

What a nasty piece of work up north, eh?

by Anonymousreply 145December 2, 2021 4:38 PM

My Boston starts barking then comes me and whines loudly whenever he’s ready for my visitors to leave. Usually after about 2 hrs

by Anonymousreply 146December 2, 2021 5:30 PM

My German Shepherd jumped on a guy trying to mug me and bit him. He ran off screaming.

by Anonymousreply 147December 4, 2021 9:49 AM

Our cat catches the one mouse per year that somehow gets into the basement when the weather turns cold each fall.

Beyond that, she daily gives us love, affection, and entertainment that greatly enhances our lives.

by Anonymousreply 148December 4, 2021 10:05 AM

My cat’s purr is physically healing.

by Anonymousreply 149December 4, 2021 10:13 AM

My cat's POZ. I've lowered my expectations.

by Anonymousreply 150December 4, 2021 10:33 AM

Our dog boosts our immune system by exposing us at low levels to every microbe in NYC as she snuggles up to us at night. She is otherwise very clean and sometimes smells like J&J baby shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 151December 4, 2021 11:15 AM

Freda is a great huntress and has brought me many "gifts." As I understand it, this is allo-parenting, and she's trying to teach her giant, two-legged kitten how to hunt. Alas, I've always freed the still-living gifts. She's realized that her kitten rides the short bus and can never make it on her own, so she remains and watches over me, which is quite gracious of her. The free kibble, cuddles, shelter, and climate control are just incidental benefits, I'm sure.

She is also a nosy parker and gathers much intel on the goings-on of the apartment complex. Alas again, we don't share a common language, so these secrets will die with her.

by Anonymousreply 152December 4, 2021 3:00 PM

[quote]My German Shepherd jumped on a guy trying to mug me and bit him. He ran off screaming.

You would think that after biting the attacker, the dog would stick around instead of running off screaming

by Anonymousreply 153December 7, 2021 9:15 PM

That’s what I am talking about, gurls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 8, 2021 1:04 AM

Your dog can do THAT, R154?

by Anonymousreply 155December 9, 2021 11:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!