Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The gushing over Jon Batiste and his dozen Grammy nominations

He seems very talented but I’m just not seeing where he’s the musical genius they keep marketing him as. CBS is OBSESSED with the man, profiling and interviewing him on one show or another at least once or twice a month. Gayle King pushes him like a meth dealer. His video at link seems schmaltzy, pandering more about him posing. I get what he was going for but it just seems way over done and trying too hard. THIS gets 12 Grammy noms??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2021 6:34 AM

Of course CBS is going to promote the hell out of him. He's the bandleader on one of their most high profile shows, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

It's called corporate synergy.

But he is extremely talented, musically educated, and respected. CBS is lucky to have him and he's lucky to have them as a platform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2021 11:15 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 11:29 AM

Obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2021 11:30 AM

He was on Southern Charm: New Orleans

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 11:32 AM

^^^ never mind, that was Jon Moody I was thinking of

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 11:33 AM

I watch Colbert, and Batiste never impressed me.

Then again, these days, if a black musical "artist" isn't doing rap, I guess I should be happy.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 11:35 AM

Not much diversity in that video.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 11:36 AM

meh.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 11:37 AM

Who? Did he have any hit records?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 11:37 AM

He was educated at Julliard and studied classical music. I saw a live concert of him on YouTube and he was playing a piece of Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata. I think he’s probably drastically overqualified for what he’s doing. He comes from a musical family.

Not everything he’s done is to my taste. But I think Colbert made a good choice picking him. He’s more than just some bandleader. Colbert probably picked him, not for his popular music, but for his depth of musical education. That doesn’t show on the show though. They should have him play more. He has the potential to be a real ambassador for New Orleans if he chooses.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 11:40 AM

According to him it's only 11 nominations.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 12:06 PM

I’m Black, love R&B music, and legit had never heard of this person. I watched about 10 seconds of that video and thought “this appeals to white boomers.” Hence, the bandleader position on Colbert (something else that appeals only to white boomers) and the ridiculous amount of Grammy nominations (a show that appeals to exactly nobody outside of the entertainment industry).

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 12:14 PM

I'm an engineer / session musician (specifically keys) and I don't really get it either. In fact a lot of others in my profession and community don't seem to love him either. It's not that he isn't a great pianist, there's just not much about him musically or emotionally that stands out. We all know people more talented than him personally, and even in the industry there are much more talented artists with the same kind of acumen (James Poyser, Robert Glasper, Keys Wane, PJ Morton) that aren't getting the same kind of airtime or gatekeeper adulation.

R12 is right that there's a bit of an uncool factor too, and some of it IS about him being a black guy playing and dressing very palatable for white audiences. I have heard more than one 'tap dancing' joke about him. He's cheesy. There's something very NPR about him even though they actually get a lot of edgier or more alternative artists too.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 12:23 PM

I stopped watching Colbert because of him. During Colbert’s monologue, Batiste is constantly playing blues riffs after every punchline, saying things like, “oh yeah” or “that’s right” as though he was at a gospel service. Beyond irritating.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 1:25 PM

OP = Taylor Swift

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 1:42 PM

Same r12. And apparently he's not gay (or at least bisexual) either? Im not interested gurl... Totally being pushed on us by corporate.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 1:50 PM

[quote] His video at link seems schmaltzy, pandering more about him posing.

Why do you hate happiness?

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2021 1:56 PM

The Grammy committee was told to include more diversity in its selection committee. Diversity means black, so expect many more black nominees. That way, there won't be as many complaints from the black activists and white SJW women.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2021 2:00 PM

The video/sing did it for me. It’s been shown a and played as ad nausea on CBS. He was really going for a funky “black thing” video but it comes off as a Cosby Show type of skit of what white people want to see black people doing. He was clearly attempting to make a dance version of the famous Ernie Barnes Sugar Shack painting (the one from ‘Good Times’). Something about him doing that just irritates me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2021 2:00 PM

R17, it isn’t “happiness”, it’s him attempting to project something he wants you to think it is when in fact, it’s both a stereotype and meant only to highlight himself and not anything about his community or New Orleans. It’s all about him dressing up and looking fly and doing a “groovy“ dance. I think he is really talented but he’s also an over the top narcissist and place to all the white worship he gets because he’s a non-threatening black man.

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2021 2:05 PM

So, Uptown Funk in NOLA. Shiny, happy Negro version. Are you not uplifted??

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2021 2:18 PM

It's his music video r20, of course it's going to focus on him.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2021 2:22 PM

[quote]He was educated at Julliard and studied classical music

So did Miles Davis until he dropped out. And for all his faults--musical & otherwise, he's a legend who wouldn't be caught dead doing this shit. He was self-indulgent, but not pandering.

Sam Cooke and Otis Redding are rolling in their graves. As sad as I am they're gone, especially how they died, I'm glad they're not here to witness their culture's white, corporate death. Redding especially.

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2021 2:44 PM

I feel like an eldergay as I looked at the Grammy noms and hardly knew anyone

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2021 2:45 PM

OP is a racist.

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2021 2:48 PM

Even worse is Lil Nas X being nominated for the three biggest Awards for his shitty " queer-fest" video.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2021 2:51 PM

Keanu was once married and had a child. They we're both killed in a car accident unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken.

That's why he's been single since.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2021 3:02 PM

I'm more interested in Joe Saylor, the drummer from Colbert's show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2021 3:06 PM

R26

Lil Nas X definitely deserves it after all he’s done this year. When you look back at 2021, Lil Nas X will be the most memorable.

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2021 3:12 PM

R26 is a homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2021 3:13 PM

I first saw Jon perform when he was a student at Juilliard. He was brought on stage during a Preservation Hall Jazz Band concert in NY and they let him riff... I knew at that moment that he'd be a huge talent.

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2021 3:14 PM

Way, way better than the usual Lil Nas X, Beyonce, Pharrell, or Bruno Mars shit that gets shoved down our throats.

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2021 3:21 PM

[quote]Way, way better than the usual Lil Nas X, Beyonce, Pharrell, or Bruno Mars shit that gets shoved down our throats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2021 3:49 PM

[quote]Gayle King pushes him like a meth dealer.

Oprah must love him.

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2021 3:58 PM

I saw him perform on American Idol. He was fantastic and outshone all of the contestants.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2021 4:01 PM

Let me just say again, I think he’s massively talented and I’m envious.

But I’ve seen him in several interviews now and of course the video, so I have an opinion of him like I would any celebrity. Why would that mean I’m “racist”? And the video IS grating. I think it’s supposed to be uplifting, but it just seems like a parody. I’m from just outside New Orleans and the whole Jazz band, black neighborhood (the Marigny or Bywater areas likely) with colorful shotgun houses, black ladies yelling “FreeeeeDOM!”, backs arched toward the ground, chests toward the sky…..it’s just been done a million times already and is kind of a stereotype. And believe it or not, New Orleans does have white people and other very unique cultural aspects that aren’t all centered around the local African American culture and traditions. So, all the more reason I think the song and video are over baked.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2021 4:12 PM

Gay?

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2021 4:24 PM

r37 according to my one minute of Googling he is not, perhaps someone has other information

r36 Do you think someone is going to call you racist just because he's black, you're white and you don't like the song? Don't create race wars in your head. Im black and I don't like this song or video either. I also feel like this has been done over and over

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2021 4:33 PM

Seems pretty harmless to me. Anybody who can actually sing or play an instrument is a step up these days.

At least it’s not Doja Rat. Can’t stand her.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2021 5:28 PM

Jon and Stay Human have been doing impressive eclectic music for many years. Just because his newest more "commercial" solo album is getting the big money push big record companies are known to do doesn't mean he's not super talented.

Here's a song from 2013, two years before the Colbert gig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2021 6:16 AM

[quote]I'm more interested in Joe Saylor, the drummer from Colbert's show

I, too, am intrigued by Saylor, R28. Alas, I believe he's married to a woman and has a new-ish kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2021 6:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!