Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do many posters on DL hold such antiquated concepts about race/ethnicity?

Some posts I read here seem to come from the 1950s or from ethnographic treatises from the 1890s. I wouldn’t be surprised to read posts about bumps on the cranium and the “Mongoloid race” on a thread here.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2021 1:05 PM

I do mandinka.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2021 6:40 AM

[quote] “Mongoloid race”

Have you banned this expression, OP?

Have you decreed that this expression should be cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 6:44 AM

[quote] antiquated concepts

Do you have 'modern concepts', OP?

Are your modern concepts as modern as this excellent example of modern architecture (which was built in 1931)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2021 6:52 AM

Because you look for them, OP. You seek them out and exploit them. And when they aren't there you start imbecilic shit like this thread, begging site members to join you in your delusion. Does that answer your question?

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 7:30 AM

Average age of DL posters appears "mature," or about 65, to put it politely!

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 7:55 AM

Ahhh OP What we need another Race baiter

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 8:21 AM

DL posts demonstrate how much of a social construct race actually is.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 3:29 PM

In all fairness DL holds antiquated concepts about everything.

Despite many of the posters here living in urban blue cities, the truth is most of them are just one generation removed from trash - thus the antiquated concepts about everything. As we say down south, "blood will tell."

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote]the “Mongoloid race”

Many years ago "mongoloid" was a regular insult on DL, mainly because it was so rude and outdated, then at some point people began to use it seriously, I think around the time of the birth of Sarah Palin's son. It was really weird and I half expected people to start posting about the wonders of phrenology.

The word "mulatto" had a similar history: first, irreverent joke, then used without a hint of sarcasm or irony.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 3:43 PM

BECAUSE THEY ARE TROLLS, don't feed the TROLLS!

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 3:43 PM

A lot of the old-fashioned beliefs were affected rather than truly believed, at least back in the day, but like every unmoderated forum, eventually we attracted people who actually believed those things. The funny folks left and the backwards trolls remain.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 3:48 PM

These fuckers are old and about to die!

How else to top off an otherwise shitty life than to attack minorities? It guarantees their seat in hell!

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 4:13 PM

Betty Butterfield's sister practices the mongoloid faith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 4:16 PM

Racist comments and behavior is the default for petty, weak insecure White people.

When a White person is too stupid to figure out a way to get what their way they know that if attacking a Black person (who often has nothing to do with their personal problem) doesn't get them what they want, they know it will at least serve as a distraction for their own insecurity.

Being a White person (and in the majority) they know they will certainly be able to get some other insecure White people to agree with their racist viewpoint.

Is it immoral? Of course it is, but if a White person can get a nod in agreement from ANYBODY then they feel "comfortable" arguing that they are right, even though these racist White people know deep down that they are a piece of shit and their insecurities and whatever problem they had remain.

The only thing different (based on a racist White person's behavior) is that they have now brought some Black person unwarranted pain by endangering their dignity, humanity or their life.

Bottom line: This is the kind of shit that makes petty racist White people feel good. These are some sick fucks!

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 4:29 PM

Grow up OP .....get a life instead of fucking constantly bitching !!!! Are you fucking needy or what ?!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 5:11 PM

Because we are hip-deep in wingnut trolls (Breitbart, Russian, you name it).

And the single thing driving most wingnuts is white grievance. It's their reason for getting up in the morning.

How many of them actually believe the shit coming out of their keyboards, and how many of them are just pushing troll points, who the fuck knows.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 5:14 PM

OP, what R16 said.

But also, even for our eldergays, a chunk of *those* posters are men in their 50s/60s/70s who live with Mother/lived with her until she died, and carry the same racist old ideas and attitudes she did, passed down from the generation before and so on.

So even though it's 2021, we still have someone acting like Aunt Gertrude from the 1920s here every day.

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2021 5:22 PM

It’s a tiny minority of posters, but they post excessively and obsessively (like the Klan Grannies). The anonymous nature of this site makes them feel safer than places they’d be kicked out of or where their posts would be labeled with a certain username, which would show how often they post and how many racist things they say.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2021 5:37 PM

Because DL was popular with Gen X folks that learned how to be gay from Boomers who also roam this site. Not just any Boomers or Gen Xers it's white ones, so of course it would feel rather dated.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2021 5:44 PM

The obsession with race is not limited to one political party. If the right is still harboring racist attitudes, they are certainly not as open about it as the left, who on this site can turn a thread about the Jonas or Lawrence brothers into a deep dive ancestral dig. What they hope to accomplish by doing all this is anyone's guess.

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2021 5:46 PM

Is the theory that there are three races obsolete now?

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2021 5:52 PM

[quote]In all fairness DL holds antiquated concepts about everything.

Agreed. There are a lot of absolutist statements made on all kinds of people here, and it's always made me feel that the posters who do that are probably people who don't leave the house very much, and certainly don't have friends or know many other people, because, I mean, it's obvious when you're actually a part of life how dumb and incorrect these statements about others are.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2021 6:50 PM

[Quote]In all fairness DL holds antiquated concepts about everything.

YES R8! I've had to stop myself from responding to some of the REALLY STUPID things people say. If they're dumb enough to type moron level shit then they won't be smart enough to even comprehend being corrected.

Some of these people are a true waste of flesh. They exist in a Fox News bubble and that is it. They have no idea how the real world operates.

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote] Because you look for them, OP. You seek them out and exploit them. And when they aren't there you start imbecilic shit like this thread, begging site members to join you in your delusion. Does that answer your question? —Zemen-Wambuis

OP R14 has stated his boundaries. He is not going to tolerate you criticizing his his racists commentary. Commentary that can be found in most any seemingly innocuous thread posted here.

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2021 8:21 PM

Darling, are you familiar with the term "eldergay"?

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2021 8:27 PM

R25 = the Baroness

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2021 8:38 PM

I have said this before ,but the obsession with Race on this Site makes me glad I am not American. You are obsessed with something you can’t change. I was saying in another thread that I haven’t heard this much discussion about Race since I did German History at Uni and the only other people who have had the sins of their Ancestors constantly shoved in their faces are the Jews in the New Testament and that didn’t end so well.

Why this division over immutable characteristics? Is it because Class and Money is too difficult because too many right thinking Liberals have it? It reminds me of Marie Antoinette playing with sheep led by silk bows in imagined French Countryside. Didn’t stop her getting her head cut off. This is deflection in its grossest form and eventually we will get that.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2021 11:28 PM

[quote] the only other people who have had the sins of their Ancestors constantly shoved in their faces

The Marxists failed in Russia and now they want to make normal citizens learn to hate themselves.

The Marxists want to destabilise our society.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2021 11:40 PM

[quote] I wouldn’t be surprised to read posts about …

OP. I'm glad you're sufficiently adult to be unsurprised there are people in the world who didn't live in the same echo chamber as yourself.

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2021 11:48 PM

[quote] Bottom line: This is the kind of shit that makes petty racist White people feel good. These are some sick fucks!

It's always funny that these people never, and I mean NEVER, say one word about the far greater number of low down criminal white trash. Wonder why that is? I have to assume calling those people out doesn't give them a feeling of superiority the so desire.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2021 1:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!