Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you look at prices when you're grocery shopping?

I'm always surprised by the total when I check out.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2021 11:54 AM

This should've been a poll.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2021 4:46 AM

Yes, I comparison shop and look at every price tag.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 4:52 AM

No way.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2021 4:57 AM

R2 Are you a boy or a girl?

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 5:00 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 5:01 AM

Yes, I do look at all prices. It’s sort of a game to see if I can spend less than $X, depending on which store I’m at. Since I stopped drinking and buying alcohol, it’s easier to stay under my target.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 5:02 AM

I can’t be bothered to look at prices, I want what I want.

And then at the register I’ll go “OH SHIT!” at the total and then proceed to put my chip in the machine.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 5:02 AM

Yes, and I have a running total as I shop. I'm rarely surprised, except when I make an unusual purchase (a very large salmon filet or a duck). Spices are very expensive unless you buy them in a bulk in some sort of store that has that option. A 2 oz bottle of something like star anise might set you back $8 or $10. So when I forget that I've put something like that in my cart, I can be shocked when the cashier rings it all up.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 5:03 AM

I didn't until I retired and I don't like it!

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 5:03 AM

Yes of course. Everyone should.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 5:07 AM

Yes I look but it doesn't prevent me from buying something usually. However I will buy cheaper and sale Items that I know I like and I appreciate the savings because food is outrageously expensive.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 5:12 AM

No, I do not.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 5:13 AM

Absolutely. I refuse to buy a box of cereal if it isn’t deeply discounted. These days one box of Grape Nuts or Special K can set you back $6. I try to go for the mid-range, or cheap in all of my groceries except cage free eggs, tempura shrimp, deli meat, and bread. Seems to work well for me as the primary shopper in my household who has price compared for years and well enough to do the math in my head to compare prices on things with different weights/oz.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 5:34 AM

No the price isn't a factor in whether or not I buy an item. If I want a box of crackers then I don't care if it's $2.50 or $4.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 5:36 AM

yes i price shop, but not obsessively. I do keep kind of a running total in my head. If i can find the same item cheaper i'll buy the cheaper item. I am picky about certain things though. I have to have heinz ketchup, etc. Things like sour cream, butter, crackers i don't care.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 5:39 AM

Nope...I get what i want, and what puts a smile on my face.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 5:39 AM

[quote][R2] Are you a boy or a girl?

I'm a guy in my 50s.

I'm from a middle class family, my dad was a public school teacher. He was also the Inspector of Weights & Measures in our town and in charge of enforcing the new Unit Pricing labeling laws when they went into effect in the 1970s. He taught me how to comparison shop. It was a life skill I use to this day. Why overpay for comparable products?

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2021 5:45 AM

I look at crotches

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2021 5:52 AM

You can pay attention to prices and still pretty much buy what you want.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2021 5:54 AM

I never used to, but I always played a little head game with myself and tried to predict the total amount at the checkout line. I was almost always within ten dollars.

I just retired a few months ago, and now I price check. I still won't buy the generic store brand after trying a few things and finding them noticeably inferior. But prices have gone up so much (someone mentioned cereal earlier, a good example) that unless I need something that week, I'll hold out until I see it on sale.

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2021 6:32 AM

Some of the above commenters would do well on The Price is Right.

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2021 6:37 AM

R13 Grape Nuts wtf! I didn’t know they were still around I thought all the people who ate those were dead by now!

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2021 7:24 AM

R17 Well glad all of that became useful!

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2021 7:29 AM

I know of very wealthy people who obsessively price check and shop at Aldi, and I imagine that's also why they're rich, shrewd with money.

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2021 7:33 AM

Always, always. I like a good deal. Also, it can be fun. I buy in bulk to get the best deal. If something is a really good deal, I buy more than one.

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2021 8:16 AM

Of course. I'm pretty good about sticking to my budget when I shop for groceries though and make it a priority to get the most bang for my buck. I don't do couponing, but I do split my shopping between 2-3 different stores because I know which ones have the best prices on certain items I buy regularly.

I buy a lot of fresh chicken breasts and one of my smaller locally owned stores sells it for as low as 79 cents per pound. That's way cheaper than the big box chains. Similar thing with jarred tomato sauce. I'm a big fan of Victoria brand marinara sauce but for whatever reason, Walmart sells it for about $4 per jar whereas it's more like $7-$8 per jar elsewhere. Stuff like that adds up really quick.

I used to live near a really awesome farmers market for many years and that's where I did all my shopping for produce. Not only were they far cheaper, but they had a way bigger selection of specialty fruits , fresh herbs, and vegetables that even places like Giant Eagle offer.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2021 9:40 AM

Kinda. I've gotten better tho. What I don't look at are gas prices. I mean...you HAVE to buy it, so if I need it, I pull over. I know people who drive around looking for cheaper prices.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2021 11:47 AM

Not really, but I do check for a lower priced similar item to what am looking at. But definitely not if it is a preferred product of mine.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2021 11:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!