Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which is Greta Garbo's best film?

I love classic films, but I've never really understood the fuss over Garbo. Perhaps knowledgable DLers can suggest one of her films for me to check out.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 9:26 AM

Garbo's acting doesn't translate easily to modern audiences. She's very remote, but some of her films are worth watching. Ninotchka is probably the most accessible. Camille features dreamy Robert Taylor and the divine Laura Hope Crews. Most critics think it's Garbo's best performance.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2021 3:04 AM

Yes I would agree that Camille is her best performance but Queen Christina has classic sequences like the I'm memorising this room, and the famous last shot of her in closeup.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 3:15 AM

Ninotchka holds up best

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 1:53 AM

Mata Hari. But you can only see the uncensored superior version every 20 years or so at the Cinémathèque Royale de Belgique.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 2:03 AM

What is different in the uncensored version, R4?

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 2:06 AM

Sexual situations

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 2:07 AM

Talk about a face that the camera loved!!

Loved Dietrich as well. Shanghai Express....it took more than one man to change my name to Shanghai Lily

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 2:08 AM

I find her to be a blank, unable to express emotion in a believable manner.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 2:24 AM

Devil is a Woman is my favorite of the von Sternberg films with Dietrich. The visual excess often veers into abstraction.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 2:29 AM

She sucked

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 2:31 AM

Lesbian admirers (or admirers of lesbians) will be partial to Queen Christina and The Painted Veil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 2:32 AM

She was a lousy actress. Was mute most of his life

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 2:49 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 2:54 AM

No love for "En lyckoriddare" (1921)?

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 3:01 AM

Garbo's style hasn't really aged well, but "Ninotchka" is a delight.

On the other hand her wooden performance almost sinks the otherwise entertaining "Grand Hotel".

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 3:31 AM

Like the musical, r15, the two sympathetic characters walk away with the show. Joan is really luminous in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 3:34 AM

Joan is other worldly the way she is styled and photographed in Grand Hotel. In my opinion it is the first time she is really good onscreen, not that she wasn't watchable, but she was all over the place as an actress before this. In Grand Hotel she finally settled down and stopped doing so much.

Garbo is trapped in a silent film here for some reason. She also seems somewhat bored in her role.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 5:11 AM

Ninotchka was wonderful, and she is really a good comic actress.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 5:13 AM

And kudos to Melvyn Douglas. I was remembering him as a Barrymore but I was wrong!

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 5:15 AM

R18 is deaf and dumb

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 9:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!