Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone have a favorite 'sweet potato something' recipe they would love to share?

Daddy said he wants sweet, not mashed this year. Now what?

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 8:09 PM

6 Sweet Potatoes or Yams cooked and peeled

5 Tablespoons Butter melted

3/4 cup Sugar

2 Eggs

2 teaspoons Vanilla

1 teaspoon Cinnamon

1 teaspoon Salt

1/4 cup Heavy Cream or Milk

Brown Sugar Pecan Praline Topping:

3 Tablespoons Butter softened

1 cup Brown Sugar

1/3 cup Flour

1 cup Pecans

1/4 teaspoon Salt

Instructions Preheat the oven to 400°. Cook sweet potatoes in oven, microwave, or boil until softened. Let cool slightly and peel. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and cream or milk and mix until creamy. Pour the mixture into the prepared 9 x 13 baking dish. Topping: Combine the butter, brown sugar, flour, pecans, and salt in bowl. Sprinkle the topping over the sweet potato mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the topping is lightly golden brown.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 5:53 PM

^^^and, because it's made with sweet potatoes, it's a healthy alternative, right?

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 5:55 PM

No, it's absolutely ghastly. Look at it. Sugar, butter, cream, eggs... but that's a holiday dinner, baby. Nobody has to eat it all or eat any.

You go jog if you want to.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 6:06 PM

Sweet potato biscuits..yum

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 6:08 PM

R1 That looks heavenly. I wonder if I could use egg nog instead if cream. Got nog, but no cream.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 6:23 PM

That's basically sweet potato pie without a crust, R1.

OP, most people have both regular and sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. Tell daddy to shove it.

You could use gasoline instead of cream in that, OP/R5. With all the sugar, starch and fat, nobody will be able to taste it.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 6:24 PM

I don't think OP should tell daddy to shove it.

That's how four squad cars wind up outside the house and things generally don't improve after that.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 6:28 PM

I simply bake them.

Then slice the top of the soft, backed sweet potato to make a boat container, and leave the skin on

put in:

- very good butter, and a splash of maple syrup, salt and pepper or - Thai sweet chili pepper sauce (from the bottle) - broiled for a few minutes or - cheese with some bite - Salignon, Herreño, or mild Roquefort - a bit of crumbled brown sugar and then broil.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 6:34 PM

- very good butter, and a splash of maple syrup, salt and pepper

or

- Thai sweet chili pepper sauce (from the bottle) - broiled for a few minutes

or

- cheese with some bite - Salignon, Herreño, or mild Roquefort - a bit of crumbled brown sugar and then broil.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 6:35 PM

I saved this Sweet Potato Cake w/Chocolate Ganache recipe from Bon Appetit, but I haven't tried it yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 6:42 PM

Sweet potato puffs are my favorite. So light and fluffy, but rich and sinful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 6:43 PM

Cinnamon is the "rasins" of holiday cooking.

blech

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 6:44 PM

^^^^ Oh, Tallulah! That looks decadent.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 6:44 PM

And no cinnamon...

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 6:46 PM

Sweet potatoes hold heat like no other vegetable. Burned my mouth on a sweet potato more times than I can count.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 7:03 PM

Wash the sweet potato, stab it with a fork a few times, 8 minutes in the microwave, slice open, add butter and eat.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 7:06 PM

"Daddy???"

No matter which meaning you intend, that's a gross way to speak/write.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 7:14 PM

People who use cinnamons and/or raisins in food are complete trash.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 7:15 PM

I was just picking cinnamons and come back in the house to be told now I'm trash?

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2021 7:21 PM

r17 The man they call your daddy ain't your Pa!

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 8:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!