Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Home alone, Thanksgiving 2021

This is the thread in which all of those who are having Thanksgiving alone gather to talk to each other and explain how we’re getting through the holiday.

Myself, I’m going to order in a Thanksgiving meal and watch three movies that I’ve been meaning to see for a long time but never got around to. Will probably talk on the phone to a few friends. And, of course, give the cat an extra can of tuna.

by Anonymousreply 105November 28, 2021 2:25 AM

I’m going to jack off at least twice!

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 3:07 PM

Give your cat turkey instead.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 3:13 PM

I have invitations to visit friends and family. I choose to hang out at home by myself. Some of us don't need to 'talk through' being by ourselves, OP. But I can understand how you feel. I hope it goes OK for you.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 3:13 PM

We had originally planned to have Thanksgiving at my mother's house as always, but she was sent to the hospital and we're not sure when she'll be back so our plans have been cancelled. I have a 2-liter bottle of cranberry ginger ale I will open to at least get 1 of the tastes of the holiday and give my cat a can of turkey flavored cat food, though.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 3:15 PM

Relax in the knowledge that there is no God that I have to grovel in front of.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 3:25 PM

One Lean Cuisine turkey dinner, a couple of vodka-cranberry cocktails, a cookie for dessert, Johnny Carson reruns and my small dog Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 3:33 PM

R5 hope you like reincarnation

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 3:41 PM

R5 -- Do you think of Thanksgiving as a religious holiday???

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 3:42 PM

Husband and I bought a Thanksgiving dinner from Costco that we'll have. We also are not in the mood, having had our Boxer Casper euthanized Tuesday night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 3:44 PM

I’m so sorry r9 :(

What a sweet face.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 3:53 PM

I'm gladly spending Thanksgiving alone. My x1 day off from work, and I will relish not having to deal with anyone! I also don't miss the family drama (my family is 2K miles away).

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 3:54 PM

I'm sorry r9, what a cutie he is. Hope you guys will be okay.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 3:55 PM

R9 I am so sorry -- losing a beloved dog is hardly a way to start any holiday. Just remember what a lovely life you gave him.

Sometimes it seems so unfair that our animals live such short lives, but think of the opposite: imagine if they lived so long they all outlived us, and were on their own after we died. That would be so much worse.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 3:56 PM

To R6...it sounds like Heaven. I always watch "Miracle on 34th St" You should have 3 cookies and give Buddy 2 treats.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 4:17 PM

Light yard work, weather permitting; had minor oral surgery (a shattered tooth and subsequent problems) Tuesday, so no solid food or alcohol for a week.

Canceled plans with my brother and his family as I can't eat anything and talking is very painful.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 4:21 PM

Maybe I will, Philly! And Happy Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 4:32 PM

I will be alone starting around 2 pm or so. I'm going to my sister's apartment where we will make Cook's Country's Cheesy Stuffed Shells. I will then be home with Cosmo. I recently got into Damages (yes, I am VERY late to the party on this), so I may finish bingeing that show.

Someone on another thread said 'Yellowstone' is similar to 'Succession' so I'm DVR'ing the series. It starts with Season 1 at Noon but I will still be at my sister's house. I'm actually OK with being at my own home for Thanksgiving. I spend a lot of money on mortgage and utilities. I should enjoy it!

R9, I am so very sorry about the loss of dog.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 5:36 PM

Wish I was staying home alone. Who gives a rip about thanksgiving?

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 5:56 PM

Home alone, and homo alone.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2021 7:06 PM

Lots of tv.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 7:46 PM

Dim sum, Taittinger, Criterion Channel.

Better than a plane trip to bio family.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2021 7:56 PM

Thanksgiving is such a nothing holiday. Fat hogs eat twice their weight in disgusting food, and then fall asleep. Who gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2021 7:59 PM

That's the spirit, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2021 8:12 PM

I’m with R22. I love Thanksgiving because the company holidays = extra long weekend. But I couldn’t give two fucks about the holiday itself.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2021 8:17 PM

A friend of mine and his wife were at another couple's place and he was asked to run out to the closest Whole Foods to grab a box or bag of whatever. He's dashing through the place, and lo and behold, a famous (old guy) billionaire was sitting at one of the dine-in tables having a pre-made Thanksgiving dinner by himself. My friend was just shocked- he had been introduced and made smalltalk to this guy at a few functions before, and he thought 'Oh, should I invite him along?' and then thought the better of it, so paid and left. I'm certainly not going to say who this is.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2021 8:21 PM

[quote]I'm certainly not going to say who this is.

And yet you’re just dying for us to ask you.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 8:37 PM

R26 - Nope.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2021 8:40 PM

Me, too. I'll either go for a drive, if I feel like it....order a turkey dinner, or make something myself. The weather here is supposed to be nice, milder....so I may do some yard cleanup, getting some things in order I've been putting off. Or....I may just do nothing at all..lol. I'll just wing it. It's just another day... Happy Thanksgiving to all, alone or with family.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2021 8:44 PM

I just got back from picking up my turkey dinner, which I will eat tomorrow. My sister invited me over, but she cancelled it yesterday which was fine with me. The morning is supposed to be rainy, so I'll watch the parades and binge watch something.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 8:59 PM

It was Warren Buffett, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 9:00 PM

Today is my birthday and no one called me or sent a text. I was born on Thanksgiving Day, so my pity party of one will carry through tomorrow when I’ll be alone.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote]Home alone, Thanksgiving 2021

Bliss.

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2021 9:51 PM

Well, happy birthday , lovey! Sorry to hear that .

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2021 9:52 PM

Thank you, R33.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2021 9:55 PM

R31,, happy birthday! Can I ask which number this one is?

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2021 10:00 PM

* may I (oh dear)

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2021 10:01 PM

So glad for this thread. My husband died last year and this is my first Thanksgiving truly alone. I've been feeling so weird and self conscious about that all day. And this helps, a lot.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2021 10:02 PM

Cats shouldn’t be eating tuna unless it’s cat food.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2021 10:03 PM

Order in? From where?

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2021 10:03 PM

From just about anywhere. Most restaurants serve a Thanksgiving dinner.

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2021 10:04 PM

R37, I’m sorry to hear that. I’m sure you feel out of sorts. I don’t know, I’m just one of those people who enjoys not having to go to a big dinner, sitting with people who may or may not irritate me. I’ll see them on my own time. I actually feel “thankful” having the day to do whatever I want on my own. I’m not anti-social either. I just enjoy having a day to relax. I feel like I’m playing hooky. Kinda fun.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2021 10:05 PM

Same here r37. This haiku has become my mantra.

If life transcends death

Then I will seek for you there.

If not, then there too.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2021 10:05 PM

R37, I'm so sorry. My husband turned 50 this year, and I had never, before this year, thought about the holidays without him. I actually made my husband promise not to die on me anytime soon (Mary!) How old was he and how long were you together?

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2021 10:07 PM

Thank you R35. I’m 66 today.

4 years from 70. I’m having a hard time with that realization.

Well, at least I’m still around to complain.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2021 10:24 PM

I’m sorry R37. I can only imagine how you’re feeling, but you will find your way through the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2021 10:27 PM

R37. This is my 4th Thanksgiving without my husband. I keep thinking it will get easier, but it hasn’t

Big hug to you, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2021 10:31 PM

Had two invitations. Don't want to deal with kids, loud television, and political talk. Told both I accepted dinner elsewhere. Will sleep late, watch TV, videos, read a book. Have enough food in the house to hide out for the day.

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2021 10:40 PM

Happy birthday R31!

Condolences R37. Hope you get through the holidays and come out stronger on the other end.

by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2021 10:42 PM

R31, I bet you're glad you were born on your birthday. Enjoy the peacefulness.

by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2021 10:44 PM

r25, it was Bill Gates, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2021 11:04 PM

Get drunk and go to the light, OP Defacto, trying to slip in in a new account.

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2021 11:07 PM

Thank you R48 and R49

by Anonymousreply 52November 24, 2021 11:10 PM

Happy birthday, R31!

And sincere condolences to those who feel the pain of losing loved ones, especially around the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 53November 24, 2021 11:24 PM

Thank you, R53. I hope everyone has a lovely day especially those who are dealing with the loss of loved ones. May loving memories bring them comfort and peace.

by Anonymousreply 54November 24, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote] And, of course, give the cat an extra can of tuna.

None of this store bought shit. Get me some good albacore, you fat whore!

PS Happy Thanksgiving, purr purr.

by Anonymousreply 55November 24, 2021 11:36 PM

R37 I'm sorry. If you were close by I would totally have you over for turkey.

by Anonymousreply 56November 24, 2021 11:38 PM

I only have the day off, so I’m going to go to the gym, pick up some turkey and take a walk.

My brother died unexpectedly last year and I ended a long term relationship a few months ago.

I’ll see my best friends next weekend. We’ll open a bottle of Bluet and watch an old movie.

by Anonymousreply 57November 24, 2021 11:54 PM

We don't have Thanksgiving in the UK so Christmas is the only big family meal, we've avoided going for 33 years now.

I suppose the worst bit is that my Mother and most of my remaining family live less than one mile from us.

by Anonymousreply 58November 24, 2021 11:56 PM

What city r27?

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2021 12:09 AM

R25: Was it that guy who used to be on The Apprentice?

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote] I'm certainly not going to say who this is.

Then

WHY

THE

FUCK

did you mention it?

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2021 12:36 AM

To me it's a nice day off and I don't feel that I need to "get through it".

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2021 12:51 AM

Or Bill Gates, R30.

by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2021 1:05 AM

R61 - To make the point that anyone can end up being lonely. His name, his city, etc. is unimportant.

by Anonymousreply 64November 25, 2021 1:22 AM

Oh thank you all. It's appreciated. Don't want to derail the thread. Grief is grief and I will have it the rest of my life, but it was just this very specific thing today. This feeling like I was the only one having Thanksgiving alone tomorrow, and of course I'm not. But it helps to see it.

by Anonymousreply 65November 25, 2021 2:11 AM

I bake a piece of frozen salmon in the oven for my dogs. I bet the pet cats would like it too.

by Anonymousreply 66November 25, 2021 2:26 AM

I'm spending Thanksgiving alone tomorrow AND only one person called me on my birthday in September.

I have over two additional months of sorrow than OP and feel my grief is worthy of derailing this thread

by Anonymousreply 67November 25, 2021 3:28 AM

GREAT thread!

by Anonymousreply 68November 25, 2021 3:53 AM

I’m going to clean & shine my kitchen floor

by Anonymousreply 69November 25, 2021 4:00 AM

I made some excellent cranberry sauce, will bake an apple galette tomorrow, dinner is chicken in white wine, garlic potatoes, Carol Channing corn, and I will watch my all time favorite, To Catch a Thief. With an added bottle of sauvignon gris.

by Anonymousreply 70November 25, 2021 4:12 AM

It's not a holiday where I live now, and I no longer celebrate it with ragtag expats like I used to. But the autumny, Norman Rockwell kitsch of it still resonates with me and can empathize with those missing a proper celebration and/or loved ones.

I expect to be alone at Christmas, which will be spent like R21, with a proper Christmas dinner instead of dim sum. Family is halfway across the world and just can't be bothered to make the effort and don't mind being alone. See you on the Home alone, Christmas 2021 thread.

by Anonymousreply 71November 25, 2021 4:57 AM

I will be alone by choice. Making a roast pork tenderloin (stuffed with fruit), fresh asparagus. Can’t decide between couscous and rice. Oh. And I’m making an apple pie, just for tradition’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 72November 25, 2021 5:17 AM

Working 11a-11p in the ER. Our bosses usually put out a spread that we can pick on during the day so it's not too awful.

by Anonymousreply 73November 25, 2021 6:28 AM

The holidays are a sad time for me. My mom died two days after Thanksgiving (and was dying in her bedroom while we were all there trying to carry on with our Thanksgiving meal), and my dad died the following year three days before Christmas. I figured I'd get over it eventually but after 15 years I don't pretend to be anything but melancholy and deal with it by going on vacation alone. I know Disney World gets a bad rap, but it's been a great escape for me - somehow all of that merriment is nice to see and I can enjoy it while not feeling a part of it. Las Vegas and Mexico have also been really nice.

by Anonymousreply 74November 25, 2021 6:58 AM

[quote]Not Greg

I like you already r72.

by Anonymousreply 75November 25, 2021 8:02 AM

Another Thanksgiving morning alone... but still, rather be alone than with a family I hate or a late addition to someone else's family dinner.

A lot of TV and food.

And the cat.

by Anonymousreply 76November 25, 2021 3:03 PM

YOU ATE THE CAT R76?

by Anonymousreply 77November 25, 2021 3:14 PM

lol.

by Anonymousreply 78November 25, 2021 3:15 PM

i watch the tv. i ate the food. i loved the cat.

by Anonymousreply 79November 25, 2021 3:42 PM

YOU FUCKED THE CAT, R79???

by Anonymousreply 80November 25, 2021 3:48 PM

R9 Sorry to hear about your pooch. He was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 81November 25, 2021 3:50 PM

Consent is everything.

Meow means Meow!

by Anonymousreply 82November 25, 2021 3:54 PM

Happy Thanksgiving ! Thankful for DL and the company of you witty whores.

by Anonymousreply 83November 25, 2021 3:57 PM

My family is all estranged for almost a decade and I am ONLY 40, so an eldergay. We all hate each other and the parents are divorced so I'm not missing out on anything warm and cozy. I've gotten used to holidays alone or traveling, solo from a very early age. I am traveling into a European lockdown this Christmas it appears, it'll an adventure! Anyhow, I feel like I am expert on this topic.

I am a pro solo holidays. For those who are new to this or have lost a partner or pet or whatever your reasoning is - take good care of yourself, which it seems like everyone is doing on here. Eat your favorite foods without shame, watch movies, binge a series, text or chat with friends or not. The holidays are a time to spoil yourself. If you are depressed, it's only a day and tomorrow things will be just as they were.

Today I made those cheap cinnamon rolls out of a can which I love and never have, am eating them in bed with tea as I type this, and am just luxuriating at home. I do have an old millennial singles frau "Friendsgiving" which will be fine with 3 single, miserable women. Usually everyone goes out after dinner, so I might go out to WeHo tonight and just see what's happening. Some years it's dead, sometimes not. Word of warning - I've tried the "wallow in an empty gay bar on Thanksgiving day because I am so alone and tragic (yet beautiful)" - it was depressing as hell and not as satisfying as I had envisioned.

OH! And House of Gucci comes out today. That is something I must watch over the weekend!

by Anonymousreply 84November 25, 2021 4:20 PM

Watching The Man Who Came To Dinner on Movies Channel. Mr. Whiteside is a classic Eldergay...though they’re pretending he’s not.

by Anonymousreply 85November 25, 2021 4:25 PM

My best friend is a Dept. of Corrections Sergeant and always works so others can be home.

by Anonymousreply 86November 25, 2021 4:26 PM

R86, I knew a woman who did that -- she worked in a hospital lab and signed up for holiday shifts, which helped co-workers who wanted the time off. It was no sacrifice for her since she had no family to celebrate with, and labor laws required that she be paid triple time, so she was amply rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 87November 25, 2021 5:17 PM

To R84... Let me know what you think of Countess Dracula and her accent. I went to 2 private screenings with a ton of old bitchy Academy voters (all women and my gay ass). It's a riot, it's a mess but all the women loved the clothes (some were wearing Gucci). Drinking helps alot for watching the movie.

by Anonymousreply 88November 25, 2021 5:17 PM

OMG!!

by Anonymousreply 89November 25, 2021 5:27 PM

Just ate the turkey dinner I bought yesterday. Good, but too salty. Right now, I'm watching Friends on TBS as they're airing the Thanksgiving episodes. Later, I'll watch the Beatles thing over on Disney+.

It's been raining all day, but I'm happy it's not snow.

Condolences to all who have lost loved ones. And Happy Birthday to poster above.

by Anonymousreply 90November 25, 2021 5:30 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, you filthy animals.

Love you bitches 😘😘😘

by Anonymousreply 91November 25, 2021 5:52 PM

I've often gone to the bathhouse on Thanksgiving, which may sound pathetic, but in the college town it's located strangely always had a number of hunky, left-behind, horny guys from campus lurking in the back corridors. I always managed to sample a fine specimen or 2 that day and then usually caught up later that night with a bud over a beer who wanted to know all about it. It's always been an adventurous day without family. .. :)

by Anonymousreply 92November 25, 2021 9:10 PM

To R92...Can you let me know the name of this town so I can do some research this Christmas& over the Christmas Holidays? Thank You!!

by Anonymousreply 93November 26, 2021 2:38 AM

Happy birthday R31.

R9 and R37 - I’m so sorry for your losses.

I took a long walk earlier in the day, then saw the movie Belfast with a friend (fell asleep during it) and then came home alone and ate spaghetti and watched Australian survivor. Not a bad day at all.

Friends said I could tag along for family dinners but I felt more comfortable being alone and watching tv.

Once you get past the mindfuck of spending a holiday alone, it just becomes any other day. Which is both depressing but also comforting in a way.

Love to my fellow DLers. I’m thankful for you.

by Anonymousreply 94November 26, 2021 3:18 AM

R9. We had to put our Great Dane down this time last year. This evening I locked myself in the bathroom so the husbear wouldn't see/hear me crying about it. Smooches, doll.

by Anonymousreply 95November 26, 2021 7:55 AM

I'm sorry for the losses on here...it's hard. I was alone..watched movies and stuffed my piehole, literally...with pumpkin pie...lol. It's just like another day, though you may feel lonelier. It's a standard imposed on us, with images of friendly, wonderful family gatherings...like a Norman Rockwell painting. Yes..there are those like that, but many are not so wonderful, dredging up old family griefs and resentments. Even if there aren't fights..everyone is on their "best" wooden/awkward behavior to get through the day....then, there are the families that fight. Speaking for myself, when I leave, heading home...I feel depressed with the old family crap, even though it was a "pleasant" day. It's not bad to be alone, or not with family. Yes...some families are lucky to have that warm, close familial feeling, too. Friday comes along and it's over. Next is Christmas...haha.

by Anonymousreply 96November 26, 2021 1:21 PM

R96 nailed the feeling when you leave and go home.

Brings up a lot of past shit.

by Anonymousreply 97November 26, 2021 1:44 PM

The day after Thanksgiving is a relief: no longer have to think about it's being a holiday alone, now it's just a day alone, like most others. I like being alone, I have few friends, almost none who live near me, and that's fine, but the idea that you're supposed to spend holidays with other people is so drummed into us throughout our lives that it's hard to ignore it.

Now it's just a few more weeks until Christmas, which can be equally weird, then New Year's Eve, and then no worries until next year.'s holidays.

by Anonymousreply 98November 26, 2021 2:36 PM

Amen r98.

by Anonymousreply 99November 26, 2021 4:33 PM

R93 - I'm guessing he's referring to Steamworks Berkeley CA. Steamworks Chicago IL is really crazy, too.

by Anonymousreply 100November 26, 2021 5:07 PM

R98, I'm very similar. This year I'm considering being open about being alone at Christmas. In past years, when I was alone, I told fibs because I didn't want to deal with people's shock and pity (which is ridiculous, considering how so many people hate all the family crap at Christmas).

The older I get, the more open I am about being an introvert and enjoying my own company, so maybe the time has come to say to people: "I'll be spending Christmas on my own. I'm going to make a lovely meal and spend the rest of the day doing things I enjoy."

by Anonymousreply 101November 27, 2021 5:38 AM

I wound up having another disastrous Thanksgiving with my partner's family. They think they are upscale, but they are the epitome of po white southern trash. Ugly, obese, stupid....but think they can do no wrong. They are a family in which everyone internalizes their loathing for each other, and pretend to be happy and joyous for a few hours, while trashing each other behind the scenes, every other day of the year.

Sorry for the rant. The food simply wasn't worth the awkwardness. It rarely is.

by Anonymousreply 102November 27, 2021 11:09 AM

I appreciate the rant R102. Always nice to hear honesty.

I was alone this year and it wasn’t that bad.

by Anonymousreply 103November 27, 2021 11:49 AM

I always look forward to January...

by Anonymousreply 104November 27, 2021 12:28 PM

Cooked a complete turkey dinner for a few neighbors who were otherwise alone. Haven't made Harvard beets in forever. Altered the recipe by adding chopped apples, lemon juice, and sweet spices plus Tumeric. Was appreciated more so than the cranberry sauce. Also sweet potatoes cooked in a crock pot and from scratch stuffing.

Will do something similar right before Christmas.

Strongly agree with the posters who say Thanksgiving with birth families isn't worth the stress. Always wanted to experience the Norman Rockwell fantasy. Wonder how many have happy big family memoriess?

by Anonymousreply 105November 28, 2021 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!