Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We’re a Small Arkansas Newspaper. Why Is the State Making Us Sign a Pledge About Israel?

Currently, more than 30 states have provisions on the books that restrict boycotting Israeli products. States are trading their citizens’ First Amendment rights for what looks like unconditional support for a foreign government.

These types of laws are not restricted to states in which fundamentalist Christians hold sway. In 2016, California passed a law requiring large contractors working with a state agency to certify that they will not discriminate against Israel, and Andrew Cuomo, as governor of New York, signed an executive order that compels state entities to divest money and assets from a list of organizations regarded by the state as participating in the boycott. Senator Chuck Schumer of New York proposed national anti-boycott legislation.

If these anti-boycott laws are allowed to stand, get ready for a slew of copycat legislation. Texas passed two laws that went into effect on Sept. 1 — one prohibiting state agencies from conducting business with contractors that boycott fossil fuels and another preventing agencies from contracting with businesses that boycott firearm companies or trade associations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2021 1:43 PM

Fascinating letter. And an outrageous overturning of the Constitution. Citizens should march.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 3:21 PM

The benjamins

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 3:27 PM

Zionist pressure groups have a stranglehold on American foreign policy. That has tentacles that stretch all the way down into regulating personal behavior based on your individual conscience.

Of course I’ll be immediately accused of anti semitism by off-his-meds Matt, but these Zionists are not all Jews. There are born again creeps in that movement as well.

And of course some of the fiercest critics of Israel are American Jews who don’t let petty tribalism get in the way of their morality.

Meanwhile AIPAC is crowing about this knife they’re holding to America’s neck. Feel about that as you want, but IMO it’s time to remove the parasite from our jugular vein.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 3:29 PM

I think many Jews are embarrassed by it: they feel the same way about Zionists as gays do about trans activists.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 11:19 PM

4 replies in before a trans reference, we're making progress

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 11:20 PM

This has been around for many years. I worked for a fortune 50 defense contractor and we had training to this effect for the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 11:21 PM

^That’s right, R5. Applicable comparisons to the loony trans contingent should always feature within the first five posts of any DL thread. Progress, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 12:15 AM

Duhhhh !!!!! OP ! YOU ARE THE NEWSPAPER, Write a front page about it !!!

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 12:33 AM

[Quote] 4 replies in before a trans reference, we're making progress

Still waiting for the “Israel loves gays but Islam kills gays” comment in 3…2…1

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 1:26 PM

R8, huh?

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 1:27 PM

mutilators

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 1:36 PM

It’s a very goofy issue. And taken to another extreme, disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2021 11:49 AM

[quote]Still waiting for the “Israel loves gays but Islam kills gays” comment in 3…2…1

?

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2021 12:01 PM

This is the type of shit law, why so many people in this country walk around mad as fuck.

Why is Israel so special? They aren't the only group who have suffered injustices in this world. That law is beyond ridiculous. They better give a every group a law like thus, or in the future, this is going to cause serious problems.

So much for American freedom!

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2021 12:19 PM

[quote] They aren't the only group who have suffered injustices in this world

You honest to God think that’s the motivation behind the pledge?

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2021 12:35 PM

We're pretty much the only country that completely ignores the Palestinians. It's embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2021 1:34 PM

I love Israel and the people there (well most of them). I've visited twice. Trust me, the gays in Tel Aviv know how to party! But I've great distaste for Israel politics and their "you're either with us or against us" attitude. The years of Netanyahu's reign as PM were definitely the worst. He was (and is) Israel's version of Trump. I keep holing out hope he'll be tried & convicted one day and sent to prison, along with his crooked wife.

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2021 1:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!