Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Times Square 1980

I saw this in 1980. I was a teenager from the suburbs and knew it was fake urban romantic grit mostly, but there was an authentic capture of the NY atmosphere. Now everything from late 70s early 80s looks as old as Weimar Berlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2022 5:09 PM

I loved this too and played the shit out of the soundtrack.

I think it was positioned as the punk/New Wave version of "Saturday Night Fever," which it definitely was not.

[quote]Now everything from late 70s early 80s looks as old as Weimar Berlin.

Ain't it the truth, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 4:31 AM

"I'm me-napped!"

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 4:55 AM

"The Sleez Sisters dedicate this to Brian Jones and all the other dinosaurs who got kicked out of the band!"

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 5:40 AM

Meanwhile, Smithereens was more like the real thing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 7:48 AM

This is such an intriguing way to put it, because to me, as someone not born then and someone from another country even, both those periods in history do have a lot of similarities in my mind, what I imagine to be the general energy of the time, if that makes sense.

A couple of blokes on here have recommended Smithereens, and I have found a copy. I have heard it's a bit depressing though, so just need to be in the right mindset to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2022 4:21 AM

East coast version of the equally unrealistic Angel (1983). makes 70s Times Square seem slightly more dangerous than Disneyland

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2022 4:27 AM

The 70s in Times Square was far better than the 80s. In the 80s things started to change to what Times Square is today which is the armpit of hell.

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2022 4:28 AM

It's like The Legend of Billie Jean meets New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2022 4:31 AM

R4 well the sunglasses matched her skirt

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2022 4:31 AM

Hey, fans of TIMES SQUARE: it's being developed as a stage musical. Which is... interesting. (There's a huge trend toward projects centered on adolescent girls, as that's increasingly the audience).

Trini Alvarado was a solid actor as a kid, and quite pretty. She should have had a bigger career as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2022 4:36 AM

Trini was born in NYC in 1967 so she was 12 or 13 when she made this film

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2022 4:45 AM

That is very true. That time period seems practically ancient now. SUCH a long time ago. And I'm saying this as someone who was alive back then. Granted I was a kid, but I was still around.

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2022 4:52 AM

[quote] I loved this too and played the shit out of the soundtrack.

Same here.

All the movies and albums I loved as a kid were NY-centric. I couldn’t wait to leave my small town and move to the big city (I never did it).

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2022 4:55 AM

Never heard of this...looks interesting, at least for the time/setting amboance. Also, sick soundtrack. Is there anywhere to watch this?

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2022 5:01 AM

The first time I saw this film the opening titles sequence grabbed me hard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2022 5:08 AM

It's funny, I just came across this video of Patti LuPone and Cynthia Nixon on Andy Cohen saying they thought Time Square was much better back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 30, 2022 10:35 AM

As a pre teen then, I loved Taxi Driver and Saturday Night Fever. Then I became a teen in the 80s when the culture changed to “death to disco” (aka, gay music) and Republicanism and AIDS. Life was a major disappointment. Fortunately early 90s NyC got some of that edge back before it was wiped out completely by 2000.

by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2022 2:23 PM

NY in the 70s provided a great backdrop for so many urban films: Little Murders, Klute, The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three, Death Wish, Born to Win, Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, The French Connection, Shaft, Hi, Mom! The Possession of Joel Delaney, Serpico . . .

by Anonymousreply 18January 30, 2022 4:02 PM

Dressed To Kill

by Anonymousreply 19January 30, 2022 4:32 PM

Superman, Fame, Working Girl - all in a loop as a kid. My dream was to leave South Philly and move to NYC. So glad I was able to do it! The gay club scene was still good in the mid-90s, but sad now.😔 Times Square lost all its edge. It is like downtown Disney - Not NYC. But I still love NYC though!

by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2022 5:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!