Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I lived through the 80s, and don't remember anyone smoking a pipe in public

Or using a modem with a payphone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 4:27 AM

Many young men would go off to college and come back smoking a pipe until the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 3:15 AM

I have no idea about the that contraption, but weed's been legal in CA for ages, like Cannabis clubs for decades prior.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 3:17 AM

My grandfather smoked a pipe on the beach (in his bathrobe) in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 3:21 AM

And I remember those modems at the pay phone banks in some hotels that catered to business types.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 3:42 AM

I remember people smoking pipes. There weren't a lot of them, but they did exist. I love the smell, and not sure why it went away. I smoke cigarettes, but much prefer the smell of pipe tobacco. maybe I should switch over to that.

But I don't remember seeing that type of contraption at all. There were modems that an old school phone would sit in, but the ones I remember didn't look like the one in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 3:52 AM

Oh yes that is an urban gentleman and remember the type at Trumps Grand Hyatt on 42nd, where you could see their immense urban cocks in the tearoom, and if lucky go to their suite for a deep dicking. But, if there were slim pickings, there was always some rough urban trade in the down stairs mens room next door, in GCS waiting room.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 3:54 AM

My granddad smoked a pipe,I cannot think of anyone born post 1920 that did or does though.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 4:00 AM

Walking on my trail last year, I saw an old man on a park bench smoking a pipe. I had to do a double take, it seemed so out of place. It smelled great though.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 4:09 AM

My dad smoked a pipe in the 70s. We’d go for walks in the evenings and he’d light up. I loved the smell, especially on a cold night.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 4:09 AM

R7 One of my best friends from college, his father was born in the fifties and smokes one. It was a compromise, apparently his wife can't stand cigarettes but loves pipe tobacco, so if he wanted her he had to change to a pipe. I will say, I have met the woman several times and even in her late 60s/early 70s, the old man made the right call. She is still a very good looking woman and should've been out of his league.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 4:10 AM

The men in my family smoked pipes in the early 80's. I remember going into tobacco shops with my dad...they had a wonderful aroma.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 4:24 AM

[quote]My granddad smoked a pipe,I cannot think of anyone born post 1920 that did or does though.

I do on occasion (born late 1960s). It's relaxing but you've got to get the hang of keeping it lighted without burning down too quickly. Besides the pipe itself, I like the fiddly accessories (tamper, pipe nail, pipe cleaners, pouches, etc.). I have about six pipes, the best being a Dunhill that I found at an estate sale.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 4:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!