Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do we know anyone with a 'Lavender Marriage', or is that passé?

A lavender marriage is a male–female mixed-orientation marriage, undertaken as a marriage of convenience to conceal the socially stigmatised sexual orientation of one or both partners. The term dates from the early 20th century and is used almost exclusively to characterize certain marriages of public celebrities in the first half of the 20th century, primarily before World War II, when public attitudes made it impossible for a person acknowledging homosexuality to pursue a public career, notably in the Hollywood film industry. One of the earliest uses of the phrase appeared in the British press in 1895, at a time when the color was associated with homosexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 3:41 AM

I have an extremely effeminate cousin that everyone assumed was in one. He is very involved in the church, went to a Christian college where he met a masculine woman and got married. They moved home and a few years later adopted a kid, because they insisted they were just having trouble conceiving, which seems like a lavender marriage thing to do. But, less than a year after they adopted they had a surprise slip-up baby. So now, we don't know. Obviously, they are regularly having sex to accidently have a baby. Maybe they really are just two strange puzzle pieces that fit somehow?

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 2:38 AM

Wiki is incorrect. Lavender marriage is one between two homos - male and female.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 2:51 AM

R2 It does say "one or both" partners. I'm sure there has to have been marriages where one of them were straight. Especially if say you were a very ugly straight man or woman but a very good looking gay or lesbian wanted to enter into one of these with you, I could see the ugly person going along with it. Or, if it was to strengthen their career.

Was Elsa Lanchester a lesbian? I know she outed her husband in her autobiography, though most already knew it. But, I don't think she ever outed herself.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 3:01 AM

I don't know who "we" are. I know several lavender marriages. Whats the big deal. There are a lot of them in Italy, the Middle East, and North Africa.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 3:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!