Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gal Gadot's Cleopatra Movie Script Is Complete

Now that the fake casting outrage is over, I’m thinking what to make of this movie. As a Cleopatra expert, I feel like it would have been better if made into a miniseries.

It would be more interesting for them to do Cleopatra’s last year with Mark Antony. They lost the Battle of Actium. Mark Antony is depressed and Cleopatra is doing everything she can to stop Octavian from invading Egypt.

I don’t know how they’re going to fit everything into 3 hours and it be good. And I’m also worried they’ll make it a love story instead of going for politics, which is more interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 25, 2021 10:01 AM

Will they get any actual Egyptian actors to play Egyptians in the film? I'm looking at you Gods of Egypt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 1:28 AM

The other thing is will they reject the Hollywood Cleopatra and go for the historically accurate Cleopatra?

Cleopatra would have resembled more of a John William Godward painting over looking like Elizabeth Taylor’s Nefertiti fashions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 1:28 AM

R1 Cleopatra’s council was predominantly Greek so it’ll be mostly white people. She did have a few Egyptians in her council.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 1:31 AM

Brad Pitt for Marc Anthony so we can see Angelina's head explode.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 1:38 AM

Is Brenton Thwaites Egyptian?

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 1:39 AM

Why does this woman keep getting cast in all these big movies?

Who in the fuck is she sleeping with??

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 1:39 AM

Shouldn't they have cast a woman of color?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 1:40 AM

R4 I read the entire e-mail exchange between Pascal, Rudin, and Angelina. I read the script notes and all.

From the notes, it sounded like it was going to a 2000’s era historical bore like “Alexander” and “Gladiator” (yes I think that movie is boring!”).

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 1:50 AM

R6 She turned high profile after Wonder Woman and as a part of Marvel Universe. Now, she's in high demand by film studios. A simple logic to follow but I understand it's hard for a simpleton like you.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 2:03 AM

Doesn't hurt that she's Jewish either, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 2:04 AM

Mark Antony was 53 when he died; is there a European actor in the age range who could play the role?

My first thought was Raoul Bova, who is 50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 2:22 AM

This is terrible. They should’ve cast an Egyptian woman. Gal sucks.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 2:32 AM

[quote] They should’ve cast an Egyptian woman

They should’ve cast a handicapable, trans, non-binary Egyptian woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 2:35 AM

R12 Cleopatra wasn’t blood Egyptian. She was Greek.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 2:37 AM

The casting of non-Greeks is problematic, Hollywood formulaic and non-Ptolemaic.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 2:39 AM

R11 Edgar Ramirez resembles Mark Antony’s statue in my opinion.

I think Daniel Craig should be Julius Caesar.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 2:40 AM

Mark Antony’s face reconstructed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 2:41 AM

I think the state looks like Ramirez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 2:42 AM

Cleopatra was greek and fugly, I don't know why twitter has gone in the "cleopatra was black!" Prespective when Greeks aren't black, she was cousin to blonde haired alexander the great for fucks sake. Anyway gal is trash, can't act, and is a piece of shit zionist xenophobe.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2021 2:42 AM

[quote] I think the state looks like Ramirez

Is he a square like Wyoming?

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 2:44 AM

R14

Than they should start making films on real Egyptian women like Nefertiti and Hatshepsut.

White people are obsessed with Cleopatra for this very reason.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2021 2:49 AM

I can’t stand this annoying Jewess.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2021 2:54 AM

Gal Gadot cannot act unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2021 2:57 AM

R21 I think Cleopatra is the only figure besides the Virgin Mary to transcend racial boundaries in that she’s been depicted in many forms and has been adapted by whatever group is portraying her.

I would love to see a movie about Hatshepsut.

Nefertiti was a nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2021 2:57 AM

I thought this movie was meant to be Gaga’s reunion movie with bradley cooper?

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2021 2:57 AM

I'm a Cleopatra "expert," too. Well, I'm actually a historian specializing in late-Ptolemaic Egypt, late-Republic/early-Empire Rome, and the political role and impact in religious syncretism in the era.

As an historian, I won't be watching this no matter how long it is or how "complete" the script is.

As an outraged lover of camp and schlock disguised as "famous loves between the African queen desperate to save her county and Europeans who sought to control her," I wouldn't miss this pile of shit (that won't be touched by any self-respecting scarab beetle).

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 3:13 AM

R26, you're an asphole.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2021 3:15 AM

I would love to see Arsinoe on screen.

Arsinoe was Cleopatra’s younger sister. Their oldest sister Berenice had overthrown their father for a few years and he fled to Rome and returned and had her beheaded when Cleopatra was 13.

According to historians, Arsinoe followed Cleopatra into exile in Syria when she was overthrown by her brothers council.

But when Cleopatra came back to Alexandria through Caesar, there must have been a fallout because when Caesar and Cleopatra went to war with Ptolemy, Arsinoe escaped the palace with her tutor Ganymedes and joined Ptolemy’s army. Ptolemy was held captive by Caesar and Arsinoe fought in his place.

She was declared Queen for a while but after battling, the Egyptians basically traded her in for Ptolemy. Ptolemy ended up drowning during the battle and Arsinoe was brought to Rome in chains with Caesar.

She was paraded in chains through the streets. Romans were horrified that Caesar had brought back a 17 year old Egyptian Princess and put her in chains so he sent her to exile in Greece.

While she was in exile, she still claimed she was the Queen of Egypt and was plotting a return. After Caesar died and Cleopatra met Mark Antony, she promised to find his war if he got rid of Arsinoe.

So Mark Antony had Arsinoe dragged out of her temple in Greece and strangled.

One of the claims of Cleopatra being black comes from the remains of a woman found in the same area and whoever found her claim it’s Arsinoe even though there’s no evidence whatsoever it’s her bones.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2021 3:16 AM

Er, Every Pharoah was a nutter. Cleopatra thought herself a direct descendant of isis. Which is odd since she wasn't even egyptian.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 3:34 AM

[quote] Which is odd since she wasn't even egyptian.

Yes, mythical figures are by necessity pinned down to the land where they're venerated.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 3:39 AM

[quote] Who in the fuck is she sleeping with??

With whom is she sleeping?

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 3:44 AM

[bold]Gal Gadot's Cleopatra Movie Script Is Complete[/bold]

This thread is merely the prequel to the inevitable:

[bold]Gal Gadot's Cleopatra's Collapse Is Complete[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2021 3:59 AM

[quote] Than they should start making films on real Egyptian women like Nefertiti and Hatshepsut. White people are obsessed with Cleopatra for this very reason.

What’s the reason?

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2021 4:04 AM

Thwaites is perfect in Egyptian movies.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2021 4:04 AM

Angelina Jolie was supposed to have starred in a Cleopatra movie a number of years ago but ultimately nothing came of it. Hollywood insists on casting beautiful women to play the part of Cleo who was no dollface.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote] Angelina Jolie was supposed to have starred in a Cleopatra movie a number of years ago but ultimately nothing came of it.

“Was supposed to have starred,” or “was supposed to star?”

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2021 4:09 AM

R29 Lol it wasn’t like the Elizabeth Taylor movie.

The Ptolemies were possibly atheists. Religion was a form of controlling the peace, that’s why they mixed Greek and Egyptian religion together in Alexandria. There were also Jews and there’s records of Cleopatra giving Jewish temples tax exemptions during a famine.

Cleopatra claiming to be Isis was following tradition. Her father was Dionysus and I think it was Arsinoe II who was Isis as well (her great something grandmother).

The Ptolemies most likely knew it was all bullshit from the books I’ve read.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2021 4:12 AM

[quote] White people are obsessed with Cleopatra …

English people had their interest in Cleopatra whetted by Shakespeare and his rather unsatisfactory play 500 years ago.

And that was compounded 400 years later with George Bernard Shaw's very unsatisfactory play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2021 4:16 AM

R35 Nothing came of it because what happened was the producers were focused on the Steve Jobs movie and Angelina was trying to steal away the best directors for Cleopatra. They wanted David Fincher to direct the Jobs movie and Angelina was setting up meetings with him for Cleopatra. Scorsese too. And the script for Cleopatra was still a mess.

They ended up falling out and focusing on the Jobs movie, which fell apart and tanked.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2021 4:18 AM

[quote] the Steve Jobs movie

Kutcher or Fassbender?

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2021 4:20 AM

Here’s some script notes a script doctor sent Amy Pascal from the Angelina Jolie movie:

Page 1.

· Ptolemy killing Pompey is the incident that sends Cleopatra into motion. She seizes the opportunity to get into the palace and to Caesar. And, she should make Caesar aware of this. He¹s part of her plan.

· Cleopatra knows she has serious enemies in Egypt and part of her reasoning for going to Rome is to solidify her position. When she returns, rather than managing a plague, she must immediately deal with the threat to her power in a series of strategic assassinations.

· Cleopatra and Octavian need to be equally matched as they vie for their positions with Caesar. Octavian must recognize her as a dangerous adversary and not be so dismissive.

· Going to Fulvia should be Cleopatra¹s idea. After Caesar¹s death, Cleopatra needs to figure out how to get what she wants from Marc Antony, who is now her new boss. She appreciates Fulvia¹s loyalty, brains and ambition. Together, they should engineer the Tarses meeting and make it appear to be Marc Antony¹s idea.

· Cleopatra should suggest that Marc Antony marry Octavia in a move to protect them from Octavian. But, although it is her idea, she is heartbroken nonetheless. It¹s her sacrifice for the greater good, which is Egypt.

· Because this is a love story, Marc Antony should return to Cleopatra finding it impossible to be away from her. After they marry, they both know they¹re doomed.

· At Actium, Marc Antony needs to force her to leave for her own safety. She doesn¹t want to leave but he sends her, knowing it¹s unlikely they will ever see each other again.

· Turn up the boil at the end of the movie. Punctuate how badly Octavian desires her total humiliation and underscore the triumph of her suicide and the brandishing of her myth, and that of ancient Egypt, for all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2021 4:21 AM

Cleopatra exists in our own imagination.

The Shakespeare version, the Shaw version, the Mankiewicz version and even poor Vivien's version failed to reach our imagined expectations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2021 4:22 AM

This is an outline of the movie Amy Pascal sent to herself as notes

CLEOPATRA OPENING: PAGE 1-20 HER DEATH BED AND MAIDENS HISTORY OF ALEXANDRIA THE CARPET TRICK LITTLE SCENE WITH CAESER A BATH AND A HAIRCUT WALKING TO THE BOAT HEBNEY PTOLMEY COMES TOO SEASICK

miss the description on bottem of page 3...about HER PLACE IN HISTORY

do we miss the silk merchant?

i like the little scene between her and caeser

the only problem with hebney is that we may be on his side not hers...movie history tells us to side with the resistance not the aristocracy we need to think about this

ROME: PAGE 20-90 LITTER CHAIR THROUGH AND A HISTORY LESSON ARRIVAL AT PALACE AND MEET THE WIFE CAESERS PARTY FOR THE QUEEN CAESERS VISIT STICKING UP FOR ARSINOE IV CLEO STORMS THE SENATE CLEO MEETS ANTHONY CLEO GOES TO BRUTUS VILLA SWIMMING IN THE TIBER CAESER SAYS GOOD BYE ANTONY SAYS NO VOTE AND TELLS CLEO CLEO VISITS CICERO IN BATHHOUSE ANTONY AND CLEO AT THE VILLA CLEO TEACHES PTOLMEY A LESSON CAESER RETURNS AND IS VICTORIOUS CAESARS EXCESS CAESAR IS MURDERED CLEO LEAVES SHIP AND WATCHES WILL BE READ CLEO COMFORTS CAESARIAN ON WAY HOME

NOT SURE I BELIEVE HER SNEAKING BACK INTO ROME FOR THE FUNERAL

EVERYONE CHOSES SIDES PAGE 90-110 CLEO RETURNS TO THE PLAGUE AND DRY NILE APOLLODORUS TELLS US ABOUT TRIUMVARITE CICERO IS DE ARMED APOLLORDORUS TELLS OF PTOLEMY AND IS KILLED CLEOPATRA GOES TO SEE CASSIUS CAESARIAN DOESNT REALLY LIKE CROWNS HEBENY SENDS A GIFT TO HER NO MORE PLAGUE APOLLODORUS TELLS US THE EAST AND WEST ARE DIVIDED CLEO VISITS OCTAVIAN CLEO VISITS FULVIA AND REALISES SHE IS NUTS FULVIa CONVINCES ATHOTHY

WE DONT WANT TO BE ON HEBNEYS SIDE WE WANT TO WANT TO BE ON HER SIDE NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND WHY SHE GOES TO SEE OCTAVIAN NOT SURE WE NEED THE FULVIA SCENE WE GET THE IDEA AND CAN CUT STRAIGHT TO CLEO THERE BUT ITS NOT PLAYING LIKE THE MANIPULATION AND CHESS GAME IT SHOULD YET

ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA: 110-165 CLEOS MOCK SURPRISE DINNER AND SEX THE APPROACH EGYPT OCTAVIAN GETS NEWS OF THE ALLIANCE DINNER AND SEX A BATH AND A FOOTRUB ARISONE IS KILLED FULVIA ONTHE SENATE STEPS YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ME OCTAVIAN IN ROME CAESARIAN IS ATTACKED OCTAVIAN THREATENS ANTONY THE GO TO GIZA TO BE SAFE CLEO MENTIONS OCTAVIA ANTONY TELLS OCTAVIAN OF THE MARRIAGE EGYPT BORDERS ARE TESTED ANTONY LOSES BATTLE CLEO VOWS TO HELP HIM BEAT OCTAVIAN CLEO ARRIVES IN ANTICOCH THEY MARRY OARTHIA FALLS BUT HE IS A WINNER IN EGYPT OCTAVIAN ENRAGED AND DECLAIRES WAR CLEO ARRIVES AND THE BATTLE OF ACTIUM WADGES THEY BOTH HEAD TO EGYPT ANTONY IS TOLD OF HER DEATH

HE KILLS HIMSELF SHE MEETS WITH OCTAVIAN RETURNS TO HER PALACE TALKS WITH CAESARIAN HER DEATH

WE CANT KEEP TALKING ABOUT HOW STUPID ANTONY IS I WISH WE COULD PUT BACK THE HANKERSCHIEF HERE DID ARISONE ALWAYS GET KILLED SO CLOSE TO THEM DISCUSSING HER DO WE NEED THE FULVIA SCENE DOES SHE LOVE ANTONY SHE NEEDS TO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2021 4:22 AM

Oh sorry guys that didn’t copy and paste the best way! Lol

R40 Fassbender

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2021 4:23 AM

[quote] Amy Pascal

and her husband are poison.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2021 4:29 AM

I’m digging but I couldn’t find other emails about the Angelina movie.

I remember some of the writing being really bad. And they were praising it.

I know there was this scene where a peasant with the plague kissed Cleopatra’s hand or something and it made her sick and she spent days fighting the plague in bed and then she summons him back to kiss him on the lips and poison him or something. I don’t know. It was some bullshit that I could see being in an Angelina Jolie movie.

And also the shaved head. I guess Angelina wanted to be bald in the movie cause Egyptians shaved their head. But like 2,000 years before Cleopatra lived lol.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2021 4:34 AM

That cleopatra movie would have been a huge disaster, angelina only wanted that part over vanity, hearing how beautiful she is for 2 hours sounds like such a bore.

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2021 5:10 AM

[quote] ngelina only wanted that part over vanity

Vanity probably would've turned down the part given that Cleopatra was a nasty girl, aka a non-Christian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2021 5:12 AM

Guys. Guys. Why are you all talking about Angelina? Focus on me. Yes?

by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2021 5:19 AM

Gal proved it Wonder Woman 1984 that she can’t fucking act.

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2021 5:28 AM

[quote]Shouldn't they have cast a woman of color?

Shouldn't they have cast a woman who can act?

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2021 5:32 AM

R50 She proved it in every movie she's in she can't act. And patty is a hack.

by Anonymousreply 52November 24, 2021 5:34 AM

R51 R52 Gal as Cleopatra simply has to act imperious and look beautiful. Not much else is required. Although she'll probably throw in a few athletic stunts a la Wonder Woman.

by Anonymousreply 53November 24, 2021 5:38 AM

Casted.

by Anonymousreply 54November 24, 2021 5:50 AM

R53 So basically a remake of the Timothy Dalton movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 24, 2021 5:54 AM

I honestly would like to have seen Angie as Cleo with a strong director and stuff lid script.

The British interest in Cleo predates Shakespeare. Chaucer write about her.

by Anonymousreply 56November 24, 2021 6:38 AM

What a fucking joke!

by Anonymousreply 57November 24, 2021 6:42 AM

My favorite dramatization of the Cleopatra- Anthony story is actually in the second season of HBO's Rome. I have no idea how historically accurate it is, but it plays like a fever dream.

by Anonymousreply 58November 24, 2021 7:04 AM

I hope Gal will do a lot of martial arts and fling venomous asps at her attackers.

by Anonymousreply 59November 24, 2021 7:46 AM

r50 this phoned in movie she's in now with the rock and the beady-eyed one is a great example of post-Covid hollywood dreck...a product created by a computer program and marketed for as much global appeal as possible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 24, 2021 6:36 PM

I think I'll avoid any film with her now. Ive seen her in WW and Red Notice and that's enough.

by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2021 7:28 PM

[quote]Than they should start

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 62November 24, 2021 11:46 PM

R58 I agree with you. The actress was physically right for the role and had great energy and you got a sense of the decadence, especially toward the end, holed up in the palace with Marc Antony in this hazy fog of drugs, sex, food, luxury, power, and obsessive love.

by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2021 7:05 AM

[quote] This is terrible. They should’ve cast an Egyptian woman. Gal sucks.

Perhaps when you graduate high school you'll come to understand that big movies need star names to sell tickets so they can make their investment back.

by Anonymousreply 64November 25, 2021 7:13 AM

Cleo wasn't Egyptian. Why do people not get this and keep harping on getting an Eqyptian actress?

by Anonymousreply 65November 25, 2021 7:55 AM

There is a French guy who made a mock documentary of the Julius Caesar/Cleopatra/Mark Anthony story. The actors pose as the characters sitting down for an interview.

Very entertaining and the acting is pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 25, 2021 10:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!